Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein

Started by Vekseid, March 02, 2007, 12:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Mistaken-Invasion.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

''We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem,'' Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. ''It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something,'' he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.

Elvi

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

CaptainErotica

Wow that's a real country? I thought they made it up for the Knight's Tale movie.

Elvi

Hunter

"So sorry about that, old bean.  Care for a spot of tea?"   ;D

HairyHeretic

The only thing I can remember about Liechtenstein is its supposed to have the highest number of haunted castles per square miles of anywhere in europe. A bizarre little factoid I remember reading years ago.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/1066002.stm

It's a strange little country, one of the few that still has a Monarchy which takes an active role in it's decisions.

Akioth

*Laughs* sir We're in Liechtenstein!

Where?

Sir they our Neighbors...

oh Turn back at once!
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Swedish Steel

I thought this was pretty funny too, but a few years back the Swiss apperantly launched a rocket that landed in Liechtenstein and set fire to a forrest, a nature reservation at that, apperantly it caused massive damage. They have bickered over compensation ever since.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Celestial Goblin

This won't end so easily.
I can just see the scene...
A dark forest near the Alps, pale morning.
Busty blondes in Swiss-miss maid outfits darting between the trees with suspicious equipment...

"Halt."

A unit of handsome men in buttoned Hussar uniforms and shining helmets.

"Frau Heidi and her girls..."

A really busty girl runs in front of her group.

"Prince Commander Hans von Grettel!"

The dashing, copper-haired prince steps against her.

"You have sabotaged our country for the last time!" (both speak the same sentence together)

Then a kung-fu battle commences.

Oneironaut

I guess it's too late to point out that Lichtenstein's two main exports (before they became Switzerland's fave off-shore banking home) were postage stamps and false teeth?

Right well, this TriviaGirl superheroine costume has to be back at the costume shop by 5, so I'm off then :)

Cherri Tart

hmm.. wondering if stamps and false teeth are in some way connected...
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Oneironaut

Quote from: Cherri Tart on March 24, 2007, 12:28:30 AM
hmm.. wondering if stamps and false teeth are in some way connected...

If they aren't it's up to people like us to make sure they are...I'm sure it isn't covered by any sort of insurance...yet :)