News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What do you hate about writing?

Started by Sugarman (hal), August 04, 2006, 08:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugarman (hal)

Today I was writing on word a particularly long post for here. My typing was creating a excellent reply to a delightful friends excellent rp post. Aaaaaaa! My document froze up and I had to angrily had to force quit it. Lost it.

Worse yet my attempt to recreate it fell way short of my first. I hate that.

What do you hate about this process we call creative writing?
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Lirliel

That you sometimes get 0 ideas in your head about a scene, that your writing it three/four/five times and still sit there. "CRAP!", or having no inspiration whatsoever.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Moondazed

When I get back from being away for a couple of weeks and can't seem to get back into the swing of my threads...
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Aysleen

O.o All of the above? lol

Yes, I used to type all my posts on the board, until one of the last boards I played on kept fucking up and losing my posts.  Then I moved to notepad, and stick with that.  I spell fairly well, so I don't usually rely on WORD to correct, and if I run into a problem dictionary.com is my friend ;)

I've never been away from a board for more than a couple days tops, so I've never had that problem, but have lost inspiration...like the voice in my head just up and left and I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do next...(sorry MadPanda :S)...
However, for the most part, I am able to plug along and come up with something eventually...so far.
Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.

Lilian

That when I'm out on the road, I hear stories in my head, daydream about wonderful things..  and the moment I sit down in front of the computer.. it's as if it all never existed.

Moondazed

Awww... my IPod has an IVoice attachment that turns it into a recorder... you could get an audio recorder to keep track of your ideas :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Sugarman (hal)

Quote from: moondazed on August 11, 2006, 10:02:13 PM
Awww... my IPod has an IVoice attachment that turns it into a recorder... you could get an audio recorder to keep track of your ideas :)

excellent idea
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

King_Furby

When you are getting tired and want to just get one more post in before bed but then cant think of anything good.

Sugarman (hal)

Quote from: King_Furby on August 12, 2006, 12:05:14 AM
When you are getting tired and want to just get one more post in before bed but then cant think of anything good.

yes and when you just get up, and find yourself hung-over.... and are compelled to post.
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

kylie

"Writing" --  the word itself nags at me, sometimes.

It makes it sound like homework.  Or like, it means the critic must be noticed and right.  Good writing, bad writing, sloppy writing, plotted writing, insulting writing, yada yada yada.  My writing beats your writing, my critique beats your writing...  As if unless someone complains with a bunch of jargon backed by their own literary or experiential resume, then your idea doesn't count.  Maybe it's just that I get plenty of that at school already.

I like to think of this as fun and a chance to explore relationship ideas when things sort of click.  Not as some contract to write novels on deadlines for review by every armchair Siskel & Eggbert or however you spell them.  "Writing" just sounds soooo pompous to me sometimes.  If you like it, wonderful.  If it seems to work at the moment, wonderful.  If not, good luck shaking the world into your mindset across a wire. 

Not intended as especially bitter.  Just a little,"hmph."

kylie

Hmms.  Not that I was trying to kill the topic or anything.  Just my two cents.

Sugarman (hal)

A point well taken kylie. It is most always a joy to create something with another person out of our combined effort. It also hurts some to. Especially when you some way or another don't measure up to your partners expectations.
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

National Acrobat

I hate it when an answer to a post can be summed up in a single sentence or no more than one or two sentances and people critcize you for not putting enough into a post.

I absolutely hate writing material that isn't necessary, and making a post longer than it needs to be simply to make someone happy regarding word count. I had a player in a game I ran that I had to ask to leave because he kept berating everyone else because their posts didn't meet a minimum word count.

I mean, it might be me but I'm not the kind of person who talks just to hear myself talk, and the same goes with writing. I don't write superflous posts just to see words on the page.