Space Epic, Interest Check

Started by Tick, December 12, 2011, 04:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destiny Ascension

Oooh oooh ooh, still room for a pilot? I keep missing these awesome interest threads, why?  :'(
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Gary Stargazer

If you still want people, this sounds kind of interesting.
I've never done the RP thing in forums before, not in a group like this. However I've been doing RP and playing stuff like D&D since I was 12, so I'm no stranger to the concept.

Anyway please let me know if you would be interested in having me. :3
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Tick

This is going to be the ranking system we are going to stick with.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/marine_ranks.asp

bah, stayed up to late and didn't get to finish, but here is what I have for my character so far.

Yes, we are still accepting new characters, you might want to read over the past posts though.

I think we have a pilot leader, I will have to figure out what ranks to give, but for now I need to sleep. Will finish this tommorrow.

Character Profile:
Name: Sve'rena Vrene'k
Species: Evr'sva

The Evr'sva are a typically war love racing, having a strong sense of survival of the fittest that carries on to old age, due to their long lifespans further enhanced by the technology of other races. They never personally invented faster then light travel, instead they were picked up by the other races as they fought against the humans. The Evr'sva's love for combat was strange and disturbing, but exactly what was needed to win the war. In exchange for the technology of the Vrec'Sevi asked for the Evr'sva's assistance in the war, which they happily agreed.

The Evr'sva live in a tight clan based culture that prioritizes family over anything else and most wars on their planet were between clans. The end result was a tight knit community that tended to be all over in viewpoints. Many of their clans joined the Alliance, it was very rare that they stood with the Vrec'Sevi despite their past, and those who did were normally stripped of their place in the clan. As such, the markings on their horns to label their clan were destroyed as well. Those who were cast out of a clan are expected to take the Vrene'k as their clan name, or rather, Disgraceful. Even though English translations are primarily used, few know what it actually means.

The Evr'sva are humanoid in form, with slightly dark reddish black skin. Instead of hair, a series of horns stretch out from their head, in designs that almost look intentional and appear to be hair but are actually their ears. Their horns vibrate and capture sound similar to how a human  ear does. Their eyes shift between colors to portray their emotion, making most Evr'sva an open book emotionally, but a few have learned to hide it. The colors to emotions differ between the individual but often times fit what humans would expect. Horns also protrude slightly from their elbows, shoulders and knees, to be natural weapons. The horns are usually decorated with carvings, gems and paintings to mark their clan.

Appearance:
Sve'rena Vrene'k is first noticeable by her face, half of which is clearly synthetic. An older model that is considered to be far out of date at this day and age makes up the left side of her face. The line between flesh and artificial body is jagged and by no means clean, starting on the right side of her forehead, crossing downwards her nose and ending at the left side of the jaw. Her left eye is cybernetic and always green, where as her normal eye has the strange habit of staying on color all the time, near black. Despite it being just a very dark violet, many mistake it for being black. Her hair horns cover her head in such a fashion it would almost look like a woman who had her hair in a bob, if it wasn't for a few stray horns going in odd directions. The horns have been damaged to remove any semblance of clan carvings and replaced with black gems like onyx, the mark of an exile.

Her right arm and left leg are similarly synthetic, silver flesh replacing the normal, but unlike her face, it is more than just the skin, the entire limb is replaced with old fashion artificial limbs. Due to the crude, antique style, she is sometimes forced to use a cane when she is feeling ill. All of the artificial parts of her body are silver in appearance and similar to skin when first touched touch but are cold and abnormal at the same time.

Training:
Special forces on Monarch, advanced tactics and leadership training
History:
Sve'rena Vrene'k was born on her home planet during the
Extra info(opptional):

TheGlyphstone

Those are Marine ranks. It'd apply to the Marines/troops onboard, but wouldn't the actual ship's crew/officers follow Naval ranks?
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/navy_ranks.asp

(The 'First Mate' would be called the Executive Officer or XO, and be a Commander or Lieutenant Commander below the Captain).

Ghostraven

Wikipedia has good listing s of all the services and the ranks as well as what the correlate to with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank#Military_ranks_and_insignia_of_various_nations

Tick

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 05:44:54 AM
Those are Marine ranks. It'd apply to the Marines/troops onboard, but wouldn't the actual ship's crew/officers follow Naval ranks?
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/navy_ranks.asp

(The 'First Mate' would be called the Executive Officer or XO, and be a Commander or Lieutenant Commander below the Captain).

I was thinking that too, but I was kinda worried people, including me, might get confused by who outranks eachother.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tick on December 14, 2011, 11:10:39 AM
I was thinking that too, but I was kinda worried people, including me, might get confused by who outranks eachother.

Strictly speaking, it wouldn't matter unless they were in the same chain of command - the ship's Marines would only answer to their commanding officer, though he would answer to the Captain.

Tick

True I suppose, if you wouldn't mind helping me keep the ranks clean I would appreciate it. It is not something I really have experience with.

TheGlyphstone

My experience comes from reading copious amounts of naval science fiction, so not much better than yours. ;D All I know is that brevet promotions are given to avoid confusion onboard ship (if the senior Marine officer is a Captain of Marines, he'd be temporarily promoted to Major as long as he was aboard ship).

SomeGuy

What I have currently.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Character Profile
Name: Keth
Species: Archios
Appearance:
Minus the wings
Training: Weapons operation of all kinds, CQC, boarding & counter-boarding, some skill with blades, Spec Ops training
History: Keth is fairly young for his species, given that they are biologically immortal (not that many make it past a few centuries anyways), and after reaching adulthood at age 35 immediately signed up with the military. He's still somewhat naive about the wider world.
Extra info: Keth is somewhat odd in that he really likes having a good blade... or four, all of which are plasma edged. He carries a couple of the best knives he can get, along with a vicious sword that more resembles a meat-cleaver in addition to the more standard guns.

Archios are a small race of highly resilient beings that while biologically immortal starve to death most often. They can regenerate from almost any wound, and in turn burn through their bodies very quickly if not able to keep a large and consistent supply of food, though they can eat most anything. Their regeneration has another unfortunate side effect of being a bit messy, and as a result doesn't mix well with the full body power armor most commonly used. Most use basic plates held together with tough wires, so if a limb gets blown off they don't loose the armor simply because it's not attached anymore. Weapons tend to be of the heavy variety, as a more physically powerful race they make full use of both their strength, endurance, and complete lack of need to worry about recoil causing damage.

TheGlyphstone

What did he do to get him sent to Siberia?

SomeGuy

Probably dick around when he shouldn't.

Edit; I should probably clarify that- I'm seeing him as somewhat playful.

RabbitJanitor

I think ill take the Ship's Squadron CO position. I was thinking of him piloting a Electronic Warfare support ship behind the Squadron in battle. Two man small craft with a few weapons and a lot of jamers, flares, sensors and an EMP gun.

(The EMP gun would have to charge before discharging.)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RabbitJanitor on December 14, 2011, 03:35:10 PM
I think ill take the Ship's Squadron CO position. I was thinking of him piloting a Electronic Warfare support ship behind the Squadron in battle. Two man small craft with a few weapons and a lot of jamers, flares, sensors and an EMP gun.

(The EMP gun would have to charge before discharging.)

What squadron? It's just our ship and its onboard fighter wings.

Frelance

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 04:11:13 PM
What squadron? It's just our ship and its onboard fighter wings.

He is probably talking about the on board fighter wings.
Evolution is an arms race

Tick

Someone has already taken the pilot leader position, I just forgot to post it. She told me in a message.

Ghostraven

Ok: here is what I have at the moment. I'll have to do some more Tech stuff for her gear and the fighters, etc.
My character would be the Fighter Squadron leader that Tick mentioned.

One question for Tick; Is the game starting before the miss-jump or after?

Character Profile
Name: Kyrrazazovy Nyth’nekelihem
Species: Naz'Úlairi

Appearance: Kyrrazazovy has short bias cut snow white hair with three long red braids and night black skin. She has the crimson clan and unit tattoos covering her lithe form form head to toe. Her eyes are a dark reflective amber color. She is normally dressed in her Naz'Úlairi flight uniform.
Naz'Úlairi have eyes like cats with a vertical pupil also like cats they have excellent night vision and pronounced canines. They also have large pointed ears leading to them originally being called Dökkálfar (Old Norse "Dark Elves") by the Humans that first encountered them.
They have two hearts but they are simpler two chamber hearts one supports oxygenated blood form the lungs the other deoxygenated blood to the lungs.
Their blood is Hemocyanins based and is a deep blue color

Training: She is extensively trained in fighter and mech combat. Her specialty is in fighter combat and she is rated on all the Alliance fighter craft as well as all Naz'Úlairi fighters.

History: Born on the Naz'Úlairi home world of Xthann 63 years ago (2518) she is the second daughter of clan Viss. She has 4 other sisters and two brothers. All are part of the Naz'Úlairi military. She attended military school graduating in the top tier of her class. She then enrolled in mech and aerospace specializations. She was the top rank of her aerospace division.
She participated in the Proxima Uprising in 2567 as part of the Vrec'Sevi security force. She was subsequently deployed as the flight leader of a squadron serving on the Vrec'Sevi taskforce assigned to the Xarasan Expanse to root out the pirate bands that had been operating in the sector; she achieved a double Ace rating (10 confirmed kills). Her prior assignment was as part of the Naz'Úlairi fleet stationed in Bryson's well in 2575 when the mythril wars began in earnest. By this time she was the wing commander of the Wyr'r N'Kess (Banshee) fighter wing. In the ensuing 6 years of warfare she has a confirmed kill total of 63 fighters and 3 capital ships.
Her task-group was assigned to the security and defense of the Adamantium project.

Extra info: (optional):
I borrowed from the Zentradi and Nazadi from Cthulhu Tech for the race. I made them a cross between them being a warrior race that was separated by gender like the Zentradi.

The females are the pilots of both fighters, Mechs and Ships while the males were the engineers and troopers. Because of the division of the society by sex and role they have a distrust of Humans who share many of their physical traits but don’t observe their gender based society view. So they see the Humans as heretics. The females have a penchant for fighter and mech combat using their nano-tech to allow them to interface with their fighters and mech systems the males usually have extensive cybernetic enhancement s increasing strength and durability. In fact when the Naz'Úlairi were first encountered they were assumed to be two separate races because of the extensive cyberization of the males.
Genetically the Naz'Úlairi are incompatible with Humans despite sharing many of the same physical traits as Humans. In fact detailed studies of their genome have led some to believe that the Naz'Úlairi are an engendered species. However there is no known race that has the necessary skill to create an advanced species such as the Naz'Úlairi.
While as advanced as Humans if not more so the Naz'Úlairi still maintain the rich heritage of their forefathers and undergo ritual tattooing that covers their entire bodies. The Tattoos denote family, clan, rank, personal affiliations and military specialization. The Tattoos generally mean nothing to non-Naz'Úlairi but those who know what to look for can gain an insight into the Naz'Úlairi’s personality.

TheGlyphstone

Sounds like a skilled individual...what'd she screw up to get her assigned to Siberia? ;D

SomeGuy

Probably called someone important a dirty heretic.

Also, perhaps I misunderstood but aren't humans supposed to have the best technology?

Ghostraven

My thought is that she didn't do anything wrong except end up in the wrong place.

I'm assuming that the planet/base where the secret Mythril project was taking place had first-rate forces protecting it.
However the attacking force was large enough to push them aside and during the battle the call went out for any reinforcements due to the value of the Mythril research. The Liege was in range and answered the call and was tasked with evacuating the last scientists while the remaining forces attempted to regroup and  protect the liege while loading the scientists and jumping clear.  What I'm currently thinking is that my characters fighter squadron(s) were assigned to protect the Liege and either followed the ship through the jump-gate or had docked just before the miss-jump and ended up with the misfits.  :P

The way I read what Tick wrote the Humans were initially had the most advance technology until they met the other races that made up the 'alien federation' which put them at parity. The Humans big advance was the Mythril which is what sparked the current war.

TheGlyphstone

The only thing I can see with that is that she would then be displacing one of the ship's existing squadron leaders. If it had a full stock of fighters, there wouldn't be any space for hangers-on in the docks, and I'd expect the parasite ship crews/pilots to be as scruffy and disreputable as the ship's regular staff.

There's plenty of ways to explain it away, or just flatly ignore it, but I feel at least that playing up the 'ragtag misfits' angle of our characters is an excellent spin on the idea, and one that could go a long way towards keeping this game alive. Flawed characters are more three-dimensional characters, and I've seen and played in several games on a similar structure (freeform, bring-your-own-species/race character) that crashed and burned because everyone was solely concerned with making the most awesome character they could. We don't have to be as screwed up as the crew of the Francis Mueller, but having some reason to be here is good.

Otherwise, we end up with what I call the Lone Ranger problem, where everyone wants to be the unique snowflake in the group. I actually had this happen in a D&D game once, where I mentioned I would accept any alignment and all five players independently decided they were going to be the one secretly Evil character in the all-good party. In this specific case, we're going to end up flying a ship that's supposed to be a dumping ground for rejects where the entire cast is skilled, noble, and decorated.

SomeGuy

If it makes you feel any better, Keth isn't decorated at all (and is pretty young and inexperienced), not noble, and is skilled but only in his area of expertise.

TheGlyphstone

Well, 'noble' was mean in the 'noble heart' sense, not literal nobility. Crewing this ship because they literally couldn't find anyone better to take the job, whether it be by fleet volume, casualties, or just bad paperwork, is more entertaining.

Actually, that could be an explanation for Ghostraven's character - a routine, everyday paperwork screwup, mistakenly assigning her to the Liege instead of the grand superdreadnaught that she would have earned. Before it could be fixed, hilarity ensued.

SomeGuy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
Well, 'noble' was mean in the 'noble heart' sense, not literal nobility.

Yep, I know. Well, not know... but I did assume that.

Ghostraven

Well you're assuming that the Liege had a full fighter complement, if it was the dumping ground it may not have been fully equipped or crewed. Also it sustained combat damage during the evacuation so it could have lost fighters in combat.

QuoteMany systems were damaged in the fight, and more in the escape. Only half of the guns are working and despite the main gun being functional, using it would take all the power on the ship after the power grid was ruined.

And I agree if everyone is the superhero you can have problems, but my character is a Fighter pilot and doesn't have any special abilities beyond her single expertise. Besides if she is one of the 'perfect' characters that makes her a foil for the misfits, and I don't think she's perfect.