News:

Main Menu

Best Movies of 2010

Started by Dino, February 16, 2011, 05:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Hello, Everyone!

Now that it is 2011, I'd like to reminisce about all of the best (and worst) movies that  came out in 2010.  Unfortunately, my fall semester was so busy that I didn't go to the movies at all - I even missed NARNIA!  So, what did you see?  What did you love that I didn't see?

Good:
Iron Man 2
Inception
Harry Potter
Despicable Me
How to Train Your Dragon
Shutter Island
Kick Ass
Robin Hood
Prince of Persia
The A-Team
The Expendables (I enjoy senseless action)
Alice in Wonderland (I was disappointed, but it still counts as good)
Shrek (medium good - its going downhill)
Salt (Meh... medium good)

Not Good:
Book of Eli
Legion
Percy Jackson
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Clash of the Titans
Jonah Hex
The Karate Kid (ONLY Jacky Chan movie that failed me)
The Last Airbender (awful, really)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Tron
Date Night
Wolfman (Awful)

Also, I thought that Edge of Darkness seemed good at the time, but I don't remember it, so it must not have been?

Jag

Percy Jackson...*shudders* Gah that was awful. They really had a chance for it to take over for Harry Potter when the last movie comes out and they bombed badly. The only good thing that movie did was earn dozens of new readers for the books.

Though I greatly disagree with saying that The Sorcerer's Apprentice was bad. It wasn't fantastic, but it was good. It was fun. I thought Cage's performance was great. The only bad part about the movie was that other guy's voice. Just wanted to tape his mouth shut or yank out his vocal cords or something.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Dino

I just thought Sorcerer's Apprentice was kind of lame.  Not all of it was awful, imo, but their attempts at humor often fell flat.

Aiden

I thought Book of Eli was really good myself, I did not expect that twist at the end but it made sense after watching it again.

Kick ass, Salt and Prince of Persia belong in the "meh" category.

Wolfy

Every copy of "The Last Airbender" should be burned for ruining such a great premise. >_<

Or, if you like, you could take the opposite approach, and say that it has to be watched because describing how terrible it is just wouldn't do it justice. It does everything wrong that it could possible do.

Jag

+1 for burning every copy of The Last Airbender. How do you screw up making a movie where the script is practically already written for you? I liked Dev Patel in it, but that was about it and not enough to save the film.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Dino

Quote from: Aiden on February 16, 2011, 09:53:37 AM
I thought Book of Eli was really good myself, I did not expect that twist at the end but it made sense after watching it again.

Kick ass, Salt and Prince of Persia belong in the "meh" category.

I really loved Prince of Persia!  I'm going to buy it ASAP.  I liked the twist in Book of Eli... but most of it was junk, imo.  It just could have been so much more.

Caeli

I loved Black Swan - the cinematography was gorgeous, and while there could have been a bit more development and focus in some places (I wish they had included a bit more ballet!), overall it was one of the best movies I've seen in the theater in a while.

Town was bad. I wish I hadn't watched it. -_-

I thought Going the Distance was predictable, but cute. There were some very hilarious moments, and I liked that it addressed a social phenomenon that's become more and more prevalent, especially with the increase in people meeting online.

I'm assuming that this list doesn't include foreign films, so I'll refrain from adding the films I watched at film festivals last year. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Dino

Quote from: Caeli on February 16, 2011, 03:04:19 PM
I loved Black Swan - the cinematography was gorgeous, and while there could have been a bit more development and focus in some places (I wish they had included a bit more ballet!), overall it was one of the best movies I've seen in the theater in a while.

Town was bad. I wish I hadn't watched it. -_-

I thought Going the Distance was predictable, but cute. There were some very hilarious moments, and I liked that it addressed a social phenomenon that's become more and more prevalent, especially with the increase in people meeting online.

I'm assuming that this list doesn't include foreign films, so I'll refrain from adding the films I watched at film festivals last year. :-)

I've never really been to any film festivals.  Someday, when I have time...  =P  I haven't seen Black Swan yet!  I need to get my act together.

Fae Brin

I was atchally very disappointed in Iron Man 2-- but it was a sequel. What are you gonna do?

And Alice in Wonderland-- I thought was terrible. I was so unhappy with that movie. It was all wrong in general.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Inkidu

I thought The Book of Eli was some of the best science fiction in the past ten years.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dino

Poor Alice in Wonderland.  I really love Tim Burton - he could have done SO much more with that movie. I wonder if it was just impossible to get enough funding to do everything he wanted to do.  I mean, there has to be a line, right? 

Hemingway

Shutter Island is from 2010? Huh. I have pretty bad memory when it comes to the release of movies, not least because everything seems to be released here like six months after the US.

Anyway, the aforementioned Shutter Island was a big surprised. I loved it.

The A-Team ... well, I loved that, too. But then, the A-Team was my childhood. I still know the opening monologue by heart ( and they got it wrong in the movie! ... or, well, it was different, I'm not going to say wrong ).

I'm somewhat torn about Inception. I feel I should probably see it again.

Kick-Ass .. now that was something. One of the better movies I've ever seen. I was having so much fun, I was practically bouncing around in my seat. Considering I knew nothing about the movie before going, to say I was pleasantly surprised would be the mother of all understatement.

Everything else I saw ... was okay, but little more than that. I tend to only watch things I have some interest in and more or less know I'll like.

Dino

Quote from: Hemingway on February 16, 2011, 06:42:18 PM

Kick-Ass .. now that was something. One of the better movies I've ever seen. I was having so much fun, I was practically bouncing around in my seat. Considering I knew nothing about the movie before going, to say I was pleasantly surprised would be the mother of all understatement.

Everything else I saw ... was okay, but little more than that. I tend to only watch things I have some interest in and more or less know I'll like.

I was pleasantly surprised by Kick Ass too!  I wasn't going to go see it because I tend to dislike movies that are what I call "stupid funny."  For instance, I hate Borat.  *Ducks before anyone can throw things*  Kick Ass turned out to be really good.

As my list probably reflects, I mostly only go see action movies and thrillers.  I'm not as interested in drama or chick flicks - though it depends on the movie.  I just went to see The King's Speech and I loved it.   

Nadir

Mmm, I didn't really do much cinema going last year. Didn't see Narnia, didn't see How To Tame your Dragon... Wanted to, just no drive to sit through movies alone.

I did see Harry Potter, wasn't very impressed. And my sisters let me lend their Kick Ass DVD. It was fun but I don't think I'll watch it again. Prince of Persia and Iron Man 2 I saw back to back with the Brat, and while great eye-candy the plots were boring.

Heaven Sent Blossom

The Losers was on track to be the best comic book movie of last year, however then Scott Pilgrim came out and ran away with that title.
Those are probably the two movies that were released last year which I dug the most when I saw them, although to be honest I do tend to be like a year behind on movies most of the time.
Oh and Inception was pretty good, although massively overrated by most people that I've talked to about it.

Prince of Persia was terrible, but in a great way. "You are a TRUE prince of Persiaaa!"

Dino

Quote from: Eden on February 17, 2011, 06:32:22 AM
Mmm, I didn't really do much cinema going last year. Didn't see Narnia, didn't see How To Tame your Dragon... Wanted to, just no drive to sit through movies alone.

I did see Harry Potter, wasn't very impressed. And my sisters let me lend their Kick Ass DVD. It was fun but I don't think I'll watch it again. Prince of Persia and Iron Man 2 I saw back to back with the Brat, and while great eye-candy the plots were boring.

I loved How to Train Your Dragon!

Caeli

Quote from: Dino on February 16, 2011, 03:45:09 PM
I've never really been to any film festivals.  Someday, when I have time...  =P  I haven't seen Black Swan yet!  I need to get my act together.

Most film festivals run a minimum of three days (usually over a weekend), some of them more, but you have no time to go to any of them? :( You must work some killer overtime.

Films and shorts that are played at film festivals are really great, though. I am more likely to get more out of the few films I watch during the festival, than I am if I watch the same number that show in your typical AMC. It's unfortunate that a lot of the best film festival films never make it to DVD status... I know of several that I would love to own.

As an aside, I highly recommend making a trip to your local theatre to watch the Oscar-nominated Short Films for 2011. I watched the animated program yesterday and loved it! If you're more into live-action, they have a live-action program, as well. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Dream Machine

I didn't see many movies last year.  It's hard to justify the ticket price when so many films seem to be lacking in quality anymore.  That being said, I really enjoyed Shutter Island and Inception.  The Book of Eli was okay, but I still think it pales in comparison to most of Denzel's other work.

Inception was easily the best thing I saw last year, and probably the best thing I've seen in the last few years as well.  I do love me some Christopher Nolan.

Dino

Quote from: The Dream Machine on February 23, 2011, 01:09:52 PM
Inception was easily the best thing I saw last year, and probably the best thing I've seen in the last few years as well.  I do love me some Christopher Nolan.

So, speaking of Inception, I liked it so much that I really wanted my dad to see it.  So I rented it.  x.x  He asked me what was going on like, every 10 minutes, and kept complaining that the movie was "hard to follow."  The worst part was that my brother warned me that he would be confused, but I didn't believe him!  Ha!  Its so silly because my dad is a brilliant man - I guess its the age  group or something.

overtheunder1993

My favorites were King's Speech, Social Network, and Black Swan. I know they're all Oscar movies but they deserved it! Other than that I'd go with Inception and I don't really remember any other movies that came out in 2010. Sorry!

Callie Del Noire

One of my favorites of 2010 has to be Faster. Just.. cause damn near everyone in the movie is good and most of them are scum. :D

desert ashes

So, er, I ended up cutting most of my commentary as I realized I rambled just a wee bit too much! 

Great: Black Swan, Easy A, Harry Potter, How to Tame Your Dragon, Inception, The King's Speech, Prince of Persia, Tangled, True Grit

Black Swan was just amazing!  I drove two hours just to be able to see this in theaters as it wasn't playing anywhere close, which is the longest I've gone anywhere just to see a movie.  Extremely well worth it, though!  Harry Potter was an obvious, but I was very surprised by Tangled, How to Tame Your Dragon, and Prince of Persia, especially the latter, but all amazingly done!  Especially fond of Tangled; yes, a Disney girl at heart, but this movie, as did The Princess and the Frog, reminds me so much of a Disney era that was fantastical -- Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, A Little Mermaid -- and I hope they continue with that direction.  Inception, The King's Speech and True Grit were all remarkable done, though I was most impressed by the acting of Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit) and was appropriately dazzled by Bridges and Damon.  Easy A I expected to enjoy but not to find as wonderful as I did; Emma Stone was absolutely flawless, the script witty, fresh and biting, and it's really hard not to like any movie Stanley Tucci attaches his name to.

Good: The A-Team, Alice in Wonderland, The Back-up Plan, Burlesque, Dear John, Eat Pray Love, Extraordinary Measures, For Colored Girls, Killers, Life as We Know It, Love and Other Drugs, Secretariat, The Social Network, Valentine's Day, You Again

Flat out: Betty White (and Sigourney Weaver, to a degree) saved You Again, but unfortunately in what has become her trademark of sweet old lady saying raunchy things.  Still, if it wasn't for her, and my favorite alien killer, Kristen Bell would have been a purely sinking ship.  Well, make that two sinking ships as the only thing that saved Burlesque from reaching the bottom was its music, good-great acting by a cast not rolling its eyes at such a horrendous script (I don't know how the writer/director convinced any of them to do it, especially after reading the first five drafts that were all equally worse in some degree than the last, but thankfully none of those full versions made it to the screen), and really dazzling choreography.  (My consolation over Burlesque not being amazing is that Glitter and Crossroads were far, far, far worse.) 

Okay: Tooth Fairy, The Last Song, Knight and Day, Dinner for Schmucks

I loved The Rock's Disney film The Game Plan, it was cute, humorous, sweet and yet actually good.  I figured I'd like The Tooth Fairy, too, especially because of Julie Andrews, but it fell very, very short... even shorter than The Last Song.  Dinner for Schmucks was another one I really wanted to like, except the movie wasn't anything what the previews made it out to be.  If the movie had really just been about this dinner with a whole bunch of schmucks , it would have been great.  Knight and Day ... ?  Dear spirits. 

Bad: Leap Year, When in Rome, Date Night, Just Wright, MacGruber

What can I really say?  Amy Adams was a disappointment, as was Kristen Bell.  Unfortunately there's nothing you can do with a horrible script (Just Wright and Date Night) and MacGruber...

Let's not go there.

I still have a bunch more that I didn't get a chance to watch yet, but thank goodness for DVDs! 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes