Microsoft Security Essentials. (new questions.)

Started by Wolfy, December 25, 2010, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Does anyone use this free Antivirus? and if so, how well do you like it?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Thank you Oniya.

(Topic changed to save space on asking questions. ^-^)

Vekseid

I install MSE on all of my clients' computers, and all of my Windows machines since version 2 supports 64 bit Windows XP. It's fast, free, low profile, never nags, and has routinely been the best performer in terms of preventative capability for a couple years now.

Wolfy

Thanks Vek...now if only I could find a way to speed up the full scan. O-o last night it took 3 hours..and it's only going to get worse as I add more files. lol

Oniya

Back up any documents that you've created and that you haven't accessed in a year to CD, and see how many files that accounts for.  Label the CD with the year, and set it aside in a safe place, then remove those files from the computer.  Also, run Disk Cleanup before running your virus scan (temporary internet files can account for quite a bit, especially if you visit 'graphics-heavy' sites).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

It's rather rare that you actually need to do a full scan these days.

Oniya

I run one once a month just out of paranoia.  One of those 'can't hurt' sort of things.

Wolfy

Well that's just it...most of the files are game files, and thus I can't get rid of them. :/

And documents I make are saved on a flash drive, since the only documents I type up are for classes.

Wolfy

Looking on Defraggler (running it right now to defragment), it says I've used 218 GB so far...Soo..I guess 3 hours isn't that bad, considering how much space I've used up.

Oniya

Well, remember the Disk Cleanup recommendation, at any rate.  I'm always surprised by how many Temporary Internet Files I have.

Wolfy

oh I did. I have CCCleaner (or whatever it is..from the same people that made Defraggler) so I took care of them. 3159 Temporary files. lol