13th Age: Dark Empire (Revised setting ideas)

Started by eternaldarkness, June 18, 2015, 03:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

Quote from: schnookums on August 07, 2015, 01:01:29 AM
I'm holding out for the feat for now as I just couldn't find anything I liked (or rather, I did like but I don't qualify because they're champion level feats, like the Fox Form racial feat). I did decide on the 'human but with fox ears/tail' look for her. Actually, the look that caught my eye was something like Horo/Holo from Spice and Wolf, especially with the cloak to conceal her ears/tail. (yes, I know she's a wuff and not a fox but the look still works). I also tweaked my background a bit, made her older when she was found to match the background. I hope this all is alright, let me know if I need to change anything.

Image2

Love it. I'll get an ooc and story thread up soon.

eternaldarkness

Rules/Setting and Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=234389.0

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=234403.0

Main Story Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=234554.new#new

Still looking for players. Refer to rules and setting info on the above threads. Character creation is standard point buy or array, as per the 13th Age codebook/SRD.

Currently the party is: Kitsune Chaos Mage (Played by Schnookums)
Werebeast Occultist Necromancer (My GMPC)
Tiefling Avenger (Played by ShadowFox89)

As of the game's start, the pc's are on a ghost-powered ship heading for the mainland, travelling on a mission at the behest of the Lich King to the Orc Lord's lands for a purpose that will be revealed when you arrive at your next destination. This is a great time to join in.

schnookums

Changed classes, eh? Putting the romance back into necromancy?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: schnookums on August 09, 2015, 10:29:10 PM
Changed classes, eh? Putting the romance back into necromancy?

Lol, I needed him to be a force multiplier since the party is small. Summons turn the tides of battles fast, and necro spells always do something even if they miss.

Dhi

Hi eternaldarkness, I was looking at 13th Age again as a way to run Planescape (factions as icons). The four campaigns I have played of 13th Age I enjoyed, but they were so short-lived. Looking back on the 18 post long campaign we did here on E, it seems we were both writing in that one, though I don't think we ever interacted. Some of us took our characters offsite to continue that story, so I'm sort of fond of the character Missy.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=184363.msg8864371#msg8864371

I notice there's already one kitsune character, and that's what Missy was always intended to be. I would probably rework the character some for a race change and to brush up on the rules, since I haven't played in like a year and a half.

Crash

Hah I was looking at this game too with the idea of recreating Little Fox, but it looks like you already have a sorcerer.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Crash on August 10, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
Hah I was looking at this game too with the idea of recreating Little Fox, but it looks like you already have a sorcerer.

We have a Chaos Mage and Necromancer, actually. You don't have to worry about party balance- leave that to me- and even two characters with the same class can be very different both mechanically and personality-wise.

Quote from: Dhi on August 10, 2015, 12:28:44 PM
Hi eternaldarkness, I was looking at 13th Age again as a way to run Planescape (factions as icons). The four campaigns I have played of 13th Age I enjoyed, but they were so short-lived. Looking back on the 18 post long campaign we did here on E, it seems we were both writing in that one, though I don't think we ever interacted. Some of us took our characters offsite to continue that story, so I'm sort of fond of the character Missy.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=184363.msg8864371#msg8864371

I notice there's already one kitsune character, and that's what Missy was always intended to be. I would probably rework the character some for a race change and to brush up on the rules, since I haven't played in like a year and a half.

You're welcome to join in, and I'd be happy to help you get back up to speed. Just let me know if you need anything.

Edit: ah, I remember her! Actually, you don't have to change a whole hell of a lot mechanics-wise. It might well be that fox demons life her are something else entirely different from kitsune, which are different from fox-like werebeasts such as Hakon.

I'm about to post the intro scene which happens aboard the Ashen Maiden as it crosses the Midland sea for people to roleplay while we see if any more characters pop up.

Dhi

schnookums, I notice Sionn's One Unique Thing is that she's the only kitsune in the world. Are you flexible on that?

Crash

Little Fox Who Calls Winter

Little Fox Who Calls Winter Little Fox or Calls Winter
Level 1 Half-Elf Sorceress

Str      10 ( -- )
Con      14 ( +2 )
Dex      14 ( +2 )
Int      10 ( -- )
Wis      12 ( +1 )
Cha      18 (16 +2 Racial) ( +4 )

AC:   13
PD:   14
MD:   14

Init   +3
HP   24
Recoveries 8 ( @1d6+2 )

One Unique Thing:
As a child Little Fox was lost in a storm and stumbled into the first lair of the Great Platinum Wyrm.  It was filled with ancient draconian pictograms.  She knew they were important, but couldn’t understand what they said.  She eventually fell asleep in the warmth of the immense cavern and when she awoke she was once again in the storm but heard the voices of her tribe looking for her.  When she returned to the village she found that the pictograms were faintly traced onto her skin.  She still has no idea what they mean, but her magical talent manifested soon after.

Icons:

Great Platinum Wyrm (2 point, Heroic Positive)
Little Fox’s tribal totem is the Platinum Wyrm an ancient representation of the Great Golden Wyrm.  It is said that much of the tribes lore was passed to them by the Great Platinum Wyrm and their shamans were charged with the guardianship the North.  The Platinum Wyrm appeared to little fox in her dreams as a child marking her forever as a Shaman of the tribes. 

Elf Queen (1 point, Ambiguous Conflicted)
There are ancient pacts made between the tribes of the North and the winter fae, that bind them together.  The Half-Elves of the Northern Tribes are not born of human and elven parents.  They are a race of Half-Elves that breed true, born of those ancient joinings of humans and winter fae generations ago.  The ancient pacts still hold but the Northern Tribes are their own people and the Elf Queen doesn’t fully trust her northern half-kin.

The White (1 point, Ambiguous Negative)
Not all of the Northern tribes serve The White.  If fact they are split with a equal serving The Great Golden Wyrm in the guise of the Platinum Wyrm.  Those that serve the Platinum Wyrm work to protect the sacred sites that weaken The White from raiders of the Winter Dragon and the agents of the Archmage who seek the magic contained within for their own designs.

Backgrounds:

Shaman of the Northern Hills 4
Little Fox was the shaman of her tribe before the disappeared.  The former shaman instructed her in the stories and tales of the Northern Tribes as well as the knowledge of the beasts of the far north.  Skill should help in legends and folklore, arcane lore, use magic device and heal.

Tundra Walker 2
Life in the far north is harsh.  It takes brains as well as brawn to survive.  All children of the northern tribes learn how to hunt gather and survive in the far north.  They know the subtlties of the lands and can recognized differences in the white snow that others miss.  Skill should help in survival, navigation, spot, notice, climb, ride (sled), and jump.

Spirit Friend 2
A shaman must bargain with the spirits of the North, be they storm, snow or under ice.  Creature Lore, diplomacy,  Speak Languages:  Hold basic conversations with non-humans of the far north including the winter fae (GM to decide what she can speak).

Racial Trait: Surprising!
Reduce a natural d20 roll by 1 once per battle

Class Features:
Dancing Lights
Gather Power

Talents:
Fey Heritage
Blood Link (Great Platinum Wyrm)
Metallic Protector Heritage

Feats:
Gather Power (Adventurer)

Spells:
Breath of the White
Lightning Fork
Freezing ray (Scorching Ray only Cold instead of Fire)
Resist Energy

Equipment:
Good Winter Clothing 1g
Standard Traveling Gear 5g
Bone Shortsword 4g
Cloth/Padded Armor 1g
Javelin 2g
Tent, Small 2g
Sled and Dogs 15g

Story:

Little Fox grew up in a small village in rolling hills north of the Tundra at the foot of the Frostfang Peaks.  Children of the Northern Tribes are taken care of by the village as a whole and while there is a special relationship that a child has with her birth parents, they attached to the community in a way that is tight knit and personal.  She gained the name Little Fox for she was a slight of frame and nimble and a magnate for danger.  Who Calls Winter was added later when she became the tribes shaman.

When she was a young girl Little Fox, always a wanderer got lost in a storm.  She happened upon a large cavern in the ancient hills.  It was barren yet warm and filled with strange pictograms.  Waiting out the storm she fell asleep and dreamed of the Great Platinum Wyrm.  He told her this was his lair when he was but a child and he would be happy to share it with her if she were to help him in return.  Now Little Fox was a curious and quizative little girl, but she had been taught well and remembered the responsibilities of the guest the Village Shaman had taught her and the others, so she agreed to help the Platinum Wyrm.  He smiled and bade her to rest and when she awoke she was no longer in the cavern, but in a snowy field outside of her village, her skin covered in the pale lines and whirls of the pictograms she had seen.  When she told her parents and the village elders what had happened she was given over to the Tribe’s Shaman to be trained as Little Fox had clearly been marked.

As a Shaman her duties were not only to the village but the tribe as a whole and as she grew she began to travel the Northern Hills.  She saw the signs of The White’s stirrings and consulted with other Shamans.  Upon her return to her village after once such gathering she found her village empty.  There were no signs of violence, no signs of disturbance at all.  They had just vanished.  Distraught Little Fox searched and searched, but found no clues to the whereabouts of the villagers.  She prayed to the Platinum Dragon and consulted the spirits and creatures of the ice and listened to the omens all of which have led her to the town of Snowguard where she hopes she can find those that might help her not only find her family but deal with a greater evil that the omens have only hinted.

Motivation:

Find out what happened to her family and the rest of her village.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Dhi

This is the flavor I would be shooting for.

Bio
"No, no! That isn't how the story should go," came the complaint from an audience of spirit-foxes.

Missy paused her performance, and took off her mask. "But this is a true story, based on real events."

"Make it more exciting," yipped one of the foxes of Oinari. "There should be two kitsune this time," another recommended. "I would like there to be a boat." All nodded in unison that this was what the story was missing.

"Very well." Missy donned her Noh mask over a growing smile, and began the tale again:
"Once upon a time, there was a brave kitsune girl who lived in the land of the Dragon Empire. All knew her coming from her flowing crimson mane, the joyous scamper of her little fox named Lucky, and the swords crossed over her hips. At the behest of the dread Lich King, she had boarded an extremely haunted ghost ship in search of adventure. What, you may ask, was a loyal servant of Oinari doing in the service of death? First, let me tell you of the companions who traveled with her..."

eternaldarkness

I love the Fox theme we have going. I may change an icon to accommodate.

Edit: Dhi, I love that.

eternaldarkness

The Diabolist, revised

the Diabolist
Shak-ti is an infernal sorceress of immense power, a fox-demon with (supposedly) thirteen tails, and the pre-eminent expert on infernal magics, having traded her soul and many other even dearer things to the powers of Hell in exchange for her sorcerous might. Rumor has it that she can give you anything your heart desires if you are willing to pay the price, though reaching her or her agents can be both difficult and dangerous, as she is a trickster on par with the Prince of Shadows (in fact, the two have an ongoing rivalry), and a  shapeshifter without equal.

eternaldarkness

Main Story Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=234554.new#new

Feel free to jump in if you're ready. I'll give it a day or two so people can finish before the real action begins.

Crash

Oops didn't read the redone icons.  Not Sure if Little Fox fits this.  May have to look at something different.

Hmm I could change Great Golden Dragon to The Three with a particular affinity to Ula.  That might work.  Need to work on some tweaks to her relationship to the Elven Queen too.  Will work on it tonight.

Crash

I think I am going to switch to a Defensive Minded Eldritch Knight with a good relationship to the Lich King and a negative relationship to the Elven Queen. 

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Crash on August 10, 2015, 09:47:29 PM
I think I am going to switch to a Defensive Minded Eldritch Knight with a good relationship to the Lich King and a negative relationship to the Elven Queen.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

eternaldarkness

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ON CHARACTER CREATION AND MY DM STYLE

First: You can, at your option, exchange a talent for one talent from another class if you so desire. This is to widen the range of concepts you can build. Any more extensive class-blending requires multiclassing.

Second: Backgrounds can also represent special powers. For example - Hakon's Kingly Bearing Awesome Presence of the Future King background functions as mild magical compulsion - like a Jedi Mind Trick - in the narrative, even though it still requires a background roll.

And Third and most important: Be fucking awesome. Your odds of success are directly proportional to how much you entertain me. If there are two ways to do something, and one way is boring and easy while the other is interesting but impractical, choose the interesting way and you can be assured of greater chance to succeed. Your characters are not mere fresh-off-the-farm nobodies like a level 1 D&D character: You are Epic. You are important. The Icons need you, want you, fear you. You have the potential to change the world, and where you tread, the world bows to your powerful destiny.

In combat, make your attacks interesting. Improvise. You can make your mechanics look however you want, so don't just swingg your sword - describe how you furiously cross blades with the ninja pirates you're fighting. Paint a picture in my head of how you're totally pwning these chump npc's with your mad skilkz. Tell us how your mighty spell hits with the force of a million explodingns. Talk shit to your enemies - dialogue doesn't stop because combat began.

The game, the setting - they're yours. I'm just here to provide the backdrop and enhance the fun. Without you players, there is no game.

In summary: Own the story. It's yours, not mine.

eternaldarkness

Edited my edit of the last post. I had more to say there.

PaleEnchantress

Not fully finished but this is as far as I'm going with my character sheet tonight. The character Image I chose I think is a good one but I'm willing to hear opinions on it. If anything is amiss let me know. As I said I've got more to add anyway.

Lamia Lamashtu

Bio:
The abandoned wooden shacks that rotted in the most decrepit area of the port's shanties were shunned even by the beggars. The liquid filth was home to a wide variety of vermin and pests. The few taverns and porters that did business in the area paid no mind to disposing of their trash and refuse among what was left of the buildings. Some people however had no choice but to live in them. As much as the homeless needed the charity of others they were quick to take from each other if they could. One man and woman could not exist among the other people. They were both blind and deaf or nearly so. On their own they could find foul sustenance among what others discarded. They stayed hidden to avoid being victimized. The one time they knew they had to find another was when the female was ready to give birth.
      It was no happy occasion to have another mouth to feed, and yet the pair were too fearful of others to allow their child in any one elses hands. Unlike his parents the child was quite canny and in full possession of his visual and auditory senses. His screams went unheard as pests and vermin crawled over him inside the lightless box in which he existed. His first words were things said to beg of others. He would often to go the other parts of town to prostrate himself before others hoping to evoke enough sympathy to acquire from strangers what he could not from his parents. Earp had been what his parents called him. It wasn't even so much a name as it was a sound that was easy for them to make. He was a cute baby that despite being underfed grew into a beautiful boy a pediastric relationship with a rich gentleman became his salvation.
      In his patrons household he became a sponge for knowledge. He was given an education, find clothes, and enough food to never be hungry. Using his body to please his much older mentor seemed odd at times but the human connection at least filled the cold he felt within. Earp even became friends with his masters children and was often paraded at gatherings for his unconventional wit and exotic beauty. Years of contentment passed until foreign troubles called his patron away. The mistress of the house would not let him stay anywhere on the property and so Earp went back to the streets and stayed once more in the light less squalor his parents did. In his extreme depression he didn't even see the diseased condition his parents flesh was in. He contracted their leprosy and his beautiful body and face putrefied. In time he was forced to a leper colony. His face and genitals withered and ruptured first. His appearance had been the one thing he had, and without it he was treated even worse than his parents had been. His bitterness and loss made him welcome death. He exhaled his last labored breath alone and unwanted.
   When his life began to fade, before actual death, he felt something calling to him, a presence which felt like the welcome embrace of an old lover. It offered him a chance to get back at the world for what it had done to him.  It would give him power unlike any other that he could use to vent his hatred of people. It was a power that could bend minds and reality itself to his capacious whims.  At first he was apprehensive. All the power in the world would not be worth having to live with his diseased and deformed body. No, the unknown presence said it would not only restore his health but make him more beautiful than anyone else could ever be. It didn't even seem to want anything in return. It wouldn't have mattered if it did want something. Its offer was worth almost anything. He accepted and when he did he felt a malevolent darkness within the presence he hadn't felt at first. But before he could even question it the presence was gone and himself remade. Then the only darkness he could feel was the one he created within himself.

Quote: "What a strapping hero you are, ready to come to the rescue. You know there was a time I would have given my heart to a man like you . . . and you'd have spit upon me for it!"
Race:  Human
Class: Occultist
Level: 1
OUT:"I am truly "The Fairest of them All", but once in a while I must consume the life of an innocent with a ritualized kiss or my body withers and decays"

Ability Scores
Str: 8  / -1
Dex: 14/ +2
Con: 12  / +1
Int: 18 / +4 (+2 Class)
Wis: 8 / -1
Cha: 17 / +3 (+2 Race)

Combat Stats

Init: +2

Melee attack
At-Will
Target: One enemy
Attack: Strength + Level vs. AC
Hit: WEAPON + Strength
damage
Miss: —

Ranged attack
At-Will
Target: One enemy
Attack: Dexterity + Level vs. AC
Hit: WEAPON + Dexterity
damage
Miss: —

AC: 12
PD: 11
MD: 14

HP: 21
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 1d6 x Level + Con Mod

Backgrounds:

Irrisistable Siren of Count Florien's court and eater of his children + 4

The gossip mill is turning with the story of a beautiful courtesan who charmed his way into the arms of Count Florien.  Florien was mostly just another "yes man" to The High King, but he lavished the courtesan with attention.  When the courtesan finally left he took the lives of Florien's heir and second son with him. He could smell the youth and innocent affection within them, just as he can smell it in children and virgins. The boys bodies were found naked nearly mummified and lacking their genitals, perverse grins stuck forever on their dead faces. The Count's daughter is his only surviving child and Florien himself is but a pale shadow of a man. Some aren't sure if he is more hurt by the loss of his sons or that of his lover who they now call "The Siren" and "Child Eater" even though he didn't actually eat  any children.

Studious beloved of Duke Tiberious "The Regulator"  + 2

Tiberious is a frugal man and strict enforcer of The High Kings will. He was also a family man with a fondness for the affection of adolescent boys. Lamia was his prefered lover for many years and in that he learned of Tiberiouses magical dabblings as well as history, architecture and many other "classic" educational studies.

Vicsissitude adept, castrator, and Idol at the blood bath temple of the dark goddess Cybelee +2 

Lamia has dealings with the cult of Cybelee. The cult offers sculpting of flesh to its supplicants, ritual baths tinctured with blood and oils that will erase scars, supress the effects of advancing age, and ensure fertility. The cult is also heavily invested in the slave trade, especially on behalf of the Crusader. Cybelee's cult is almost entirely responsible for many of the popular trends in the slave trade such as selective breeding, heavy excersize regimens, castration of male slaves not being bred or used for sex with their owners, and the ritual sacrifice of a slave showing signs of advanving age. The average slave is healthier and more obedient than ever before. Those that hold comoassion and freedom in high regard (like The Priestess) claim it is not worth the cost, just as they worry that service to "The Dark Mother' Cybelee involves playing with magicks as black as that of the fiends they claim to hate so.

Icon Relationships
None

Features

Quick to Fight (Racial Power)

At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result you want.

Class Abilities

Arcane Implements
You use arcane power to alter fate. While wands and staffs are designed for casting spells that are different from the spells you use, given a little time you can bend such an implement to your will. Perhaps somewhere in the worlds is a magical implement that would make it easier for you to retain your focus when you cast a spell, but no one’s ever heard of such a thing.

Delayed Magical Healing
As you send your intellect beyond the conventional reality of the worlds, you distance yourself from the worlds’ power of healing. Magical healing effects heal you one round after the effect would normally be applied. You gain the healing at the start of the turn of whoever applied the magical healing effect, or at the start of your next turn if you drank a healing potion or found some other way of magically healing yourself during your last turn.
Practically speaking, you can ignore this momentary delay outside of combat. You can also ignore it when you rally; rallying isn’t a magical healing effect.
In battle, there will be times that your allies cast healing spells on you with the expectation that you’re going to be badly wounded this round . . . only to find that you’ve skated through untouched and the healing ends up wasted. The Fates can be cruel, especially to the one who does not bow to them.

Focus and Spellcasting
Wielding your arcane power of reality requires two steps. First, you take time to focus your mind on the skeins of destiny that pull the material world along. Once you have this focus, you can cast a spell (to distort reality). Casting a spell generally expends your focus until you can gain it again. Sometimes, however, you manage to retain your focus, allowing you to cast a spell again during your turn or the next round.
Gaining your focus requires a standard action, and it draws opportunity attacks just like using a ranged attack does. (The “range” in this case is “beyond this world.”) Once you have your focus, you can expend it to cast an occultist spell. You can cast most of your spells only in response to an event, typically during an enemy’s turn or an ally’s turn (indicated by the trigger line in a spell stat block). For example, you might be able to force an enemy to reroll a natural odd attack roll, which means you can cast that spell only when an enemy makes such an attack. These spells require interrupt actions, and you can only use one of those each round. You are interrupting space/time and putting it back together in a manner more pleasing to your discerning soul. The typical cycle for you is to gain your focus during your turn and then expend it by casting a spell during someone else’s turn.
Retain Focus: You normally have to expend your focus to cast occultist spells. Most of your spells allow you a chance to retain your focus, however, when the spell’s attack roll is within the listed range. The range is on the low end, so the worse your roll (generally when you miss) the more likely you’ll be to keep your focus. Each spell with a retain focus range lists that range at the end of the spell stat block.

Rebuke
With focus, you can pummel someone with their own negative karma. In addition to the spells you normally know based on your level, you also know karmic rebuke. There are no feats associated with this spell. If you want to use it to the fullest effect, take the Superior Rebuke talent.
Karmic rebuke requires a quick action instead of an interrupt action. It’s designed so you can cast it during your turn when you’ve retained your focus, then use your standard action to get your focus back that same turn.
Karmic Rebuke
Close-quarters spell ¿ Quick action to cast; expend focus ¿ At-Will
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack: Intelligence + Level vs. MD
Hit: 1d6 + Wisdom psychic damage.

Spell Choices and Flexible Recharge
Like the standard spellcasters in the 13th Age core rulebook, you choose the spells you will be able to cast after each full heal-up.
When you successfully recharge a spell, you can regain any spell of that spell’s level, not necessarily the same spell again. For example, the occultist has used brilliant comeback cast at 5th level, and now she’s resting and rolling to recharge. In effect, she’s rolling to recharge not that particular spell but a 5th level spell slot. She succeeds on the recharge roll and selects a 5th level spell that’s not currently one of the spells she knows. If she likes, she can prepare brilliant comeback again, but she could also choose any other spell she doesn’t already have prepared.

Talents

Warp Flesh
"Not so pretty now are we?"

When you cast a spell that targets Mental Defense and the target has a higher MD than PD, the attack “twists” and targets PD instead. When a spell twists this way, it deals force damage instead of its normal damage type.
The ability of the occultist to deal force damage demonstrates that underneath surface phenomena, the worlds are composed of force, but no one knows what that really means. Run with the story-consequences of “flesh-warping” attacks as you wish.

Icon Channeler
"Bathed in moonlight, I'm proclaimed by angels cry. Think well. Do take your time. Because your soul will be mine the day you die."

During your meditations, when you peer behind the veil of reality, you align your soul with the great powers that govern civilization. You have three fewer relationship dice than normal (probably none at adventurer tier, one at champion tier, and two at epic tier). Instead, when all the characters get to roll relationship dice, you get a 5 to apply to any icon you choose. Like any other character, you can gain relationship dice through extraordinary story events. Remember, just because an icon is out to kill you doesn’t mean you have relationship dice with that icon. Dice represent the utility of a connection in the story not its strength. If you encounter icons other than the standard ones, you can probably talk the GM into letting you align your soul to them, but expect it to cost you.

Enthrall
"I hear their moans when I torture them. I feel their last labored breaths within my mind they die. I remember what they did to me and I know that I am much more merciful than they deserve"
This functions similar to the Ranger’s Animal Companion talent, except this talent has a few extra feats that make these creatures function more like thralls that want to protect their master, as opposed to companions that you’d want to keep safe and alive.  Other than that, all the rules of Animal Companions – including the additional 2 recoveries, and available companions – also apply here.

Brain Melting Secrets
I will give this whole wretched world the reward it truley deserves!
You have looked upon reality squarely, with no veil, smoke, or mirrors. It would be more than enough to drive any other mortal mind insane. When you touch the minds of your enemies, you reveal to them some small hint of the unsettling reality that you know all too well. They try to not even look at you afterward. . . .
When you hit with a spell attack that deals psychic damage, one target of the attack can’t attack you during its next turn this battle unless you are the only nearby enemy.

Feats

Ritual Caster

Iconic Channeler
Choose three icons when you take this feat. Each time you apply your 5 to one of those icons, roll a d6. On a 5–6, change that 5 you’re applying to a 6.
The High King, The Diabolist, The Prince of Shadows

Spells

4 1st-level spells per full heal-up

1st-Level Spells

Better Yet, Here
Brilliant Comeback
Timley Mistake
Inevitable Fall

[/quote]
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

eternaldarkness

PaleEnchantress, that was absolutely inspiring. The only change I'd make is to be more descriptive with backgrounds. Courtesan Siren of (insert evocative court name here), and then fold Smell innocence into that background as well, put the spare point in well-read apprentice and then make that more evocative as well - who was your wealthy benefactor? Say something about why being his apprentice is noteworthy - Apprentice of the great wizard Spellsby the Lecherous is better (as an example).

Dhi

13th Age is such a cool game and I hadn't realized how much support it's garnered over the last couple of years. I'm tempted to pick up 13 True Ways and 13th Age Bestiary now.

Pending input from shnookums, this is the reworked character.

Missy
Mischievous Three Tailed Fox Goads Devil (Missy for short)
Level 1 Kitsune Ranger

Str      10   ( -- )
Con      12   ( +1 )
Dex      18   ( +4 )
Int      10   ( -- )
Wis      14   ( +2 )
Cha      14   ( +2 )

AC:   17
PD:   13
MD:   13

Init   +5
HP   24
Recoveries 8 ( @1d8+1 )

One Unique Thing:
I am a performer in a cosmic play for the entertainment of the foxes of Oinari, amoral tricksters and sometimes allies of humanity. I must act according to their impish whims.

Icons:
Prince of Shadows (1 point, Ambiguous Positive)
During her priesthood in Santa Cora, Missy offered discreet aid to the Thieves' Guild when they needed a foot in the door, a safe place to hide, and a healer who tells no tales. In exchange for being on good terms with Highway bandits (which doesn't necessarily mean she's never been robbed- just that they're polite about it), Missy is sometimes called on as a reluctant ally of the Guild.

High Druid (1 point, Ambiguous Conflicted)
As a messenger of Oinari, Missy has long walked the fringe between civilization and the wild, a true friend to neither. Helping small communities to harness and live in relative harmony with nature has made her some enemies among the High Druid's more extremist agents.

The High King (1 point, Ambiguous Negative)
Centuries ago, the stories say, a kitsune became the queen of a previous High King and led him to his downfall. This mischievous demon continued to plague the courts of the Midgard until she was discovered and driven into the swamp. Missy is both a blood relative of this storied kitsune and a minor criminal in her own right, guilty of tax evasion, aiding bandits, trespass, lèse-majesté, and obscenity.

Backgrounds:
Oinari's Messenger 5
(Oinari's Messenger is a renaming of the ranger talent Tracker)
Missy is a traveling priestess for Oinari, god(dess) of agriculture, fertility, swordsmiths, traveling merchants, and progenitor of the kitsune from whom Missy draws her demonic heritage. Messengers of Oinari serve as wilderness guides and aid communities with animal husbandry, childbirth, hunting small game, and farming. They are less at home in the deep wilds of the world, far from civilization.

Highwaywoman 5
(Highwaywoman is a renaming of the rogue talent Thief)
Laying low along the roads of Midgard, finding boltholes and charming kindness from strangers, Missy has lived as a romantic bandit, supping at the teat of civilization while enjoying the freedom of the wilds. A highwaywoman hides in the shrubs and the stable eaves, enters the inn under dead of night for a breakfast egg, and knows well the banners of the road patrols and which have the good sense to take a bribe.

Traveling Merchant 3
Touring wares across the small towns of Midgard's trade routes, Missy accumulated a working knowledge of supply and demand, economics, and the habits of the Highway bandits while meeting more rural people than she could ever possibly remember.

Noh Performer 3
Performers of the folk Noh tradition are trained to portray emotion while wearing masks, becoming masters of nuance and body language. Memorization of the codified Noh plays has lent Missy a colloquial knowledge of the spirits, gods, and history depicted in its 250 stories.

Blesser of Boats 2
Missy became one of many priestesses in Santa Cora to bless fishing boats, both at christening and at each launch. She knows how to give blessings, and has superficial knowledge of fishing vessels and their captains. Used as a special power, Missy may bless a journey with unusual speed, with shrouded secrecy, or with providence of the land (but only one at a time).

Racial Trait: Foxfire

Talents:
Double Melee Attack
   Your weapon damage die drops one notch. In exchange, make a second attack when the attack roll is even.
Tracker
   Tracker background 5
   Terrain Stunt as a quick action
Thievery
   Thievery background 5
   Thief's Strike power

Feats:
1) Thievery (class)

Goodies:
Twin Dao Swords
Thumb Ring Bow
Fur Armor
Marbles, chicken feathers, sneezing dust, itching powder, and a hundred other minor annoyances.
And a fox named Lucky.

Bio
"No, no! That isn't how the story should go," came the complaint from an audience of spirit-foxes.

Missy paused her performance, and took off her mask. "But this is a true story, based on real events."

"Make it more exciting," yipped one of the foxes of Oinari. "There should be two kitsune this time," another recommended. "I would like there to be a boat." All nodded in unison that this was what the story was missing.

"Very well." Missy donned her Noh mask over a growing smile, and began the tale again:
"Once upon a time, there was a brave kitsune girl who lived in the land of Midgard. All knew her coming from her flowing crimson mane, the joyous scamper of her little fox named Lucky, and the swords crossed over her hips. At the behest of the dread Lich King, she had boarded an extremely haunted ghost ship in search of adventure. What, you may ask, was a loyal servant of Oinari doing in the service of death? First, let me tell you of the companions who traveled with her..."

eternaldarkness

Very nice, Dhi. I love the detail you put into your Backgrounds. Go ahead and add your character to the character thread, and any changes that need to be made you'll have until the end of the intro to make.

PaleEnchantress

I like what Dhi did too so I added some backstory with the backgrounds. The cooperative story telling nature of the game means just creating something like the cult of Cybelee isn't just allowed but actually desired, right? I hope im understanding this.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

eternaldarkness

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on August 11, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
I like what Dhi did too so I added some backstory with the backgrounds. The cooperative story telling nature of the game means just creating something like the cult of Cybelee isn't just allowed but actually desired, right? I hope im understanding this.

You are correct. The Cult of Cybelee now exists and will appear in the game.

ShadowFox89

Just like there's an order of tantric warrior-monks.
Call me Shadow
My A/A