News:

Main Menu

Diablo III

Started by Eranil Morathim, May 01, 2015, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eranil Morathim

This may be the wrong place for this but I'm guessing.

So I'm planning on getting the RoS edition finally pretty soon. I wanted to get some more opinions and insights. Minimal spoilers though please. Also would anyone on PS3 be interested in playing together?

Twisted Crow

As I said earlier... I don't have that system but I can break down some of the game elements that are kinda nice, and others I don't think are quite as cool as Classic. That is if you don't mind praise and criticism about a game I also love and most likely, some things you've probably heard already. :-)

Mathim

I've only played the first one...found it enjoyable enough but with little replay value since it didn't let me continue leveling up. How different are Diablo 2 and 3 from the first one, or from each other?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Twisted Crow

About the same formula only more grindy in ways compared to the original. Most people will likely say Diablo II is the best in the series, I've only seen it played without actually playing it myself. As an original Diablo player, Classic III is a lot of fun but is more unforgiving in ways like the original when compared to Reaper of Souls. Reaper of Souls gets crazy after awhile with all the powers and whatnot. It's a fun game, though. I love it even if it is repetitive as all unholy hell... ;D

Eranil Morathim

Any insight is welcome, Crow, praise or critisism. Talked to the SO and it turns out we're gonna get it as soon as she gets home tonight.

I got tired of 2 personally, probably because everyone wanted to rush the game and "go cowing". I love classic 3 though and am excited to see RoS, and take it online.

Mathim

Quote from: Twisted Crow on May 01, 2015, 05:49:32 PM
About the same formula only more grindy in ways compared to the original. Most people will likely say Diablo II is the best in the series, I've only seen it played without actually playing it myself. As an original Diablo player, Classic III is a lot of fun but is more unforgiving in ways like the original when compared to Reaper of Souls. Reaper of Souls gets crazy after awhile with all the powers and whatnot. It's a fun game, though. I love it even if it is repetitive as all unholy hell... ;D

Ah, I see. I remember fighting a skeletal king who could create skeletons so I spent a long time killing them since I kept getting EXP even though they were infinite which wasn't the case with other floors of the dungeon, the monsters elsewhere never respawned once killed. I played through and beat it as the one that shoots arrows and honestly, that was the only one I could get all the way through with. If I chose the melee fighter I always went up against long-range fighters who would kill me before I even got close to them. Too imbalanced, so I didn't feel like replaying it. Did they fix this irritation in 2 and 3?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Twisted Crow

It's less of an issue in my experience with 3, but archers and ranged enemies are still annoying as they are in any game. They become a threat in huge mobs, so some form of AoEs are nice to have. In fact, I think RoS went a little too easy in some respects due to Nephelem Glory "power-ups" being simplified to where you turn into Billy Badass after a kill streak.  The only thing that is a "problem" for me used to be Nemeses... which I could type a whole essay on. Basically, if you die... there is a chance that one of your enemies "levels up" and becomes this badass boss called a Nemesis. It will teleport and reappear later as if it's hunting you. It will also go to your friend's worlds and hunt them too it is either killed or until it has killed enough of you and your friends (after 5 kills, it goes away. Or it is gone if it is slain). Its a fun little feature in console RoS, but I wish it was optional. But for the punches they've pulled compared to D3 Classic, its really the only big thing to worry about unless you play on the Torment difficulty levels. And you only need worry about a Nemesis later if you die... or if one of your friends happen to die in their games. :p

Thankfully for Hardcore mode players, Nemeses do not show up at all. For obvious reasons, Hardcore mode characters only have one life.

I might stream it some day again on my One for fun.

Mathim

Quote from: Twisted Crow on May 01, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
It's less of an issue in my experience with 3, but archers and ranged enemies are still annoying as they are in any game. They become a threat in huge mobs, so some form of AoEs are nice to have. In fact, I think RoS went a little too easy in some respects due to Nephelem Glory "power-ups" being simplified to where you turn into Billy Badass after a kill streak.  The only thing that is a "problem" for me used to be Nemeses... which I could type a whole essay on. Basically, if you die... there is a chance that one of your enemies "levels up" and becomes this badass boss called a Nemesis. It will teleport and reappear later as if it's hunting you. It will also go to your friend's worlds and hunt them too it is either killed or until it has killed enough of you and your friends (after 5 kills, it goes away. Or it is gone if it is slain). Its a fun little feature in console RoS, but I wish it was optional. But for the punches they've pulled compared to D3 Classic, its really the only big thing to worry about unless you play on the Torment difficulty levels. And you only need worry about a Nemesis later if you die... or if one of your friends happen to die in their games. :p

Thankfully for Hardcore mode players, Nemeses do not show up at all. For obvious reasons, Hardcore mode characters only have one life.

I might stream it some day again on my One for fun.

Hm...I'm curious if you already knew the plural of nemesis or if you saw it used in the game first. I just figured it's not something the average person knows, so don't think I'm implying anything, it's just a personal curiosity.

Sounds like the character from Resident Evil, in numerous respects. Surprised they didn't also incorporate the Crimson Head thing where an enemy who dies and isn't dismembered or burnt revives in an even deadlier form and needs to be put down again.

Twisted Crow

Just common english writing experience. Hehe. saying something like "Nemesis'es" just sounds incorrect and I don't like saying that. So "Nemeses" sounds right to me. So, it was moslty educated guess to be honest. Since only one comes out at a time (in my experience) most players just refer to it as "The Nemesis" or "a Nemesis". I'm no grammar nazi, to be real. ;D

Mathim

Quote from: Twisted Crow on May 01, 2015, 07:52:34 PM
Just common english writing experience. Hehe. saying something like "Nemesis'es" just sounds incorrect and I don't like saying that. So "Nemeses" sounds right to me. So, it was moslty educated guess to be honest. Since only one comes out at a time (in my experience) most players just refer to it as "The Nemesis" or "a Nemesis". I'm no grammar nazi, to be real. ;D

Ever see that movie Mystery Men? Greg Kinnear does this funny scene where he tries to say it and Geoffrey Rush has to correct him.

Twisted Crow

Haha. Oh yeah... I do remember that movie. Although to be honest, I barely remember much of it.

Mathim

Well anyway, I don't think I'll be continuing with Diablo beyond the first one, so I'll bow out.

Eranil Morathim

So we did end up picking up RoS on Friday. I already like the crafting. It may be too easy to level up the artisans, but it's a damn sight better that having to farm in classic.

We haven't beat act V yet, we were going to try starting from the beginning. Lost some time and tried our level 60 characters from act III on. Didn't happen there either. I am gonna have to try really hard to not get too far without the other half. But very glad I made a solid trade in to get the game.

Starstrider

I don't know how much you played of the standard pre-expansion stuff, but there comes a point when the bullshit level starts spiking, and you get such lovely enemy ability combos as waller, mortar, jailer, arcane sentry spam and fire/poison crap on the floor. It happens more often in the higher difficulties, obviously, but it can still be frustrating if you're just trying to see the storyline and get to the next part quickly.

Eranil Morathim

Quote from: Starstrider on May 09, 2015, 06:26:11 AM
I don't know how much you played of the standard pre-expansion stuff, but there comes a point when the bullshit level starts spiking, and you get such lovely enemy ability combos as waller, mortar, jailer, arcane sentry spam and fire/poison crap on the floor. It happens more often in the higher difficulties, obviously, but it can still be frustrating if you're just trying to see the storyline and get to the next part quickly.

My fiancée and I are playing on master right now. I have noticed the awful combinations but the only time we've really struggled with them is in confined areas. I saw some terrible ones in classic too. Frozen and arcane for example.

Twisted Crow

The tight areas in general can be pretty lethal, its typically why I need clearing abilities or some way of pushing mobs out of my way. Easier said than done, though. :/

Ryven

Anyone still play this?  Wanting to see if some people might want to play together.

Twisted Crow

I play (on Xbox One) from time to time. Not often since Marvel Heroes, ESO & Elliquiy chew up a lot of my time. But I still revisit my characters occasionally on Diablo III.

Cold Heritage

Might get back into it on PC when the new stuff drops.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Thorne

Hrm. I play, sometimes. No idea what I have where, though.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Ryven

If any of you guys are interested in playing, send me a PM with your battle.net name so I can add you.  I have a monk almost level 60 and a witch doctor almost level 35.

SinXAzgard21

I'm playing off and on, running a Barb through season right now can solo up too G26 so I'm not that geared but slowly working on it. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Eranil Morathim

I'm on PS3, though I've been rocking Borderlands 2 more lately, but I do play.