What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on August 24, 2016, 08:49:48 PM
Could have just been some braggadocio, but the basic gist of it was that the armor on the ship was thick enough that whatever was being thrown at it would have maybe left a dent and some smoke-stains.

I see now :P

Not a bad joke.

AmberStarfire

Lustful Bride

Iranian ship tries again to harass US ship, getting dangerously close to it. US ship fires warning flares and then fires warning shots from the .50 MGs to ward the ship away.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-ship-fires-warning-shots-at-iranian-vessel-official/ar-BBw3FqN?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

If they keep it up they're gonna get a bloody nose next time. But of course everyone will blame us.

Because we are the evil Imperialists :P *Plays Darth Vader's March*

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-us-university-is-telling-freshmen-they-will-get-neither-%e2%80%9csafe-spaces%e2%80%9d-nor-%e2%80%9ctrigger-warnings%e2%80%9d/ar-BBw366w?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

US university declared "No Safe Spaces" "No Trigger Warnings."

I kind of approve, people need to buck up and get ready for the adult world.

The only time you should ever need to provide a trigger warning is if

A: Person is a rape survivor and there is something involving aggressive sex or bringing up to topic of rape in the class.

or B: You were a combat veteran and are at risk of a PTSD panic attack and something in the class involves something that might trigger a freak out.

But that's just my opinion.

Oniya

On the flip side, I don't see any point of not announcing the topic of the next session of class - which should serve in itself as a 'warning' for anyone paying attention in class. 

'Next class, we will be discussing the significance of Ophelia's suicide in Hamlet.  Be sure you have read the assigned selection.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on August 25, 2016, 05:53:33 PM
On the flip side, I don't see any point of not announcing the topic of the next session of class - which should serve in itself as a 'warning' for anyone paying attention in class. 

'Next class, we will be discussing the significance of Ophelia's suicide in Hamlet.  Be sure you have read the assigned selection.'

......yeah im with you there :P

Lustful Bride

Okay this one fascinates me and I really want to know why Homeland Security is investigating the hack of Leslie Jones.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/leslie-jones-hack-being-investigated-by-homeland-security/ar-BBw3rqn?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

How is this a matter for Homeland Security? How does it fit in their jurisdiction? At most that would be FBI business wouldn't it?

Valerian

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 25, 2016, 06:04:24 PM
Okay this one fascinates me and I really want to know why Homeland Security is investigating the hack of Leslie Jones.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/leslie-jones-hack-being-investigated-by-homeland-security/ar-BBw3rqn?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

How is this a matter for Homeland Security? How does it fit in their jurisdiction? At most that would be FBI business wouldn't it?
They do handle cybersecurity.  Also, the hackers publicly posted images of her passport, so that might fall under their jurisdiction as well.

I just hope the hacker(s) are really sweating right now under the threat of Homeland Security swooping down on them, because that was a rotten stunt.   >:(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Beguile's Mistress

There is also some hate speak going on there and hate crimes fall under Federal jurisdiction.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Valerian on August 25, 2016, 07:45:23 PM
They do handle cybersecurity.  Also, the hackers publicly posted images of her passport, so that might fall under their jurisdiction as well.

I just hope the hacker(s) are really sweating right now under the threat of Homeland Security swooping down on them, because that was a rotten stunt.   >:(

Ah okay. Its just usually when I hear "Homeland Security" I think of investigating local terrorism threats.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 25, 2016, 07:57:55 PM
Ah okay. Its just usually when I hear "Homeland Security" I think of investigating local terrorism threats.
The DHS has far more wide-ranging responsibilities than that. The Coast Guard, Border Patrol, Customs Enforcement, the Secret Service, Transportation Security (air, land, and water) are all part of the DHS, plus cybersecurity, and a bunch of other functions. FEMA is also a department of Homeland Security.

(I read a bit about the DHS a while ago when creating a fictional law enforcement agency for a roleplaying game, otherwise I would have assumed very much the same as you about their role.  ;D)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Beorning

In another news: the year-long "sensational developments" regarding the possible location of the mythic "Nazi gold train" come to an end. The people who claimed that they knew where the train was buried finally managed to conduct excavations at the presumed location... and, probably unsurprisingly, found absolutely nothing after a whole week of digging.  ::)

TheGlyphstone

At this point, more Nazi gold has been rumored to exist than has ever been mined by the human race.

AmberStarfire

I just read the saddest news story. So bad I don't even want to share it. :(

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: AmberStarfire on August 26, 2016, 05:11:17 PM
I just read the saddest news story. So bad I don't even want to share it. :(
*leaves you some hugs and good feels*

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 26, 2016, 05:20:42 PM
*leaves you some hugs and good feels*

Thank you, BeMi. *Hugs and wishes you good feels too*

gaggedLouise

The biggest tabloid in this country, Aftonbladet ("Evening News") - also the biggest newspaper supporting the current government - ran a strongly worded op-ed piece the other day (at least online, not sure about print) arguing that paperless, non-permit aliens and asylum seekers, even those who had been denied the right to stay, should get the right to vote in all elections, including parliament elections (of course, only citizens have that right so far). After the piece got a good deal of surprised reactions on social media, for and against it, people began asking who was the guy who had written it. He claimed to be a legal professional, but no one had ever heard his name before. It turned out there was nobody with this name in Sweden, according to official census, parish and taxation records - and we're better than most countries on keeping up population records. What's more, the photo published of the guy eventually turned out to be of some Russian with a completely different name and profile.  ;)

It seems fairly clear that the paper had been trolled and had failed to make minimal checks when they got a "clickable" piece that tied into some hot-button political issues. The article was taken down from the newspaper site, but apart from that the reaction from the editors and all the rest of the media class around here (journalists, other newspapers, PR professionals etc) has been complete silence.  :D Clearly this stunt hit too close to the bone.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on August 26, 2016, 05:50:11 PM
The biggest tabloid in this country, Aftonbladet ("Evening News") - also the biggest newspaper supporting the current government - ran a strongly worded op-ed piece the other day (at least online, not sure about print) arguing that paperless, non-permit aliens and asylum seekers, even those who had been denied the right to stay, should get the right to vote in all elections, including parliament elections (of course, only citizens have that right so far). After the piece got a good deal of surprised reactions on social media, for and against it, people began asking who was the guy who had written it. He claimed to be a legal professional, but no one had ever heard his name before. It turned out there was nobody with this name in Sweden, according to official census, parish and taxation records - and we're better than most countries on keeping up population records. What's more, the photo published of the guy eventually turned out to be of some Russian with a completely different name and profile.  ;)

It seems fairly clear that the paper had been trolled and had failed to make minimal checks when they got a "clickable" piece that tied into some hot-button political issues. The article was taken down from the newspaper site, but apart from that the reaction from the editors and all the rest of the media class around here (journalists, other newspapers, PR professionals etc) has been complete silence.  :D Clearly this stunt hit too close to the bone.

I can only say: heh.

HannibalBarca

It hits too close to home for me, too, here in the U.S.  For too long, the great majority of media of all types has been obsessed with 'balance' and 'fairness' rather than...truth.  Journalism should be in the business of reporting reality and facts, not being neutral.  Case in point, the presentation of settled cases like climate change and evolution.  Normally, a news show will bring on a supporter of both sides, as if there are an equal number of supporters of both sides.  As if discussing the shape of the Earth with a member of the National Academy of Sciences on one side and a member of the Flat Earth Society on the other made things 'fair' to both sides.

Worst of all, though, is the media's absolute terror at being called 'biased' by calling a liar...a liar.  Although, in the last few months, Trump and some other Republicans have been so egregious with the truth that some journalists have at least acted exasperated at the lies told live on their shows.  And they wonder why the public holds the media in as low regard as politicians...
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Zakharra

Yeah, that sounds like clickbait, and it definitely shows the lack of professionalism and bias media has these days.

The sad part is I have seen articles like this, years ago (in the late 90s-early 2000s I believe) in American newspapers. Of some people who wanted to give non citizens in the US the ability to vote in local/state elections, under the reasoning of; since the non-citizen was living in the area, they should be able to have a say in the government since anything decided there affects them fairly directly. I did not agree with that then and I do not agree with that now.

On media bias, that is definitely true. Media is very biased and reporters are usually there to make/shape the news rather than to report it. I would much rather they just -reported- the news, with as neutral of a slant as possible and not try to spin it. I do find it funny what HannibalBarca says, the media is afraid/terrified at being called biased, but damn if they aren't almost all -very- biased even if they don't admit it. They say they aren't biased, but how often have reporters and news organizations been caught shading/modifying the facts to make a story say what they want it to say? And they wonder why people don't trust them....

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: Oniya on August 24, 2016, 08:49:48 PM
Could have just been some braggadocio, but the basic gist of it was that the armor on the ship was thick enough that whatever was being thrown at it would have maybe left a dent and some smoke-stains.
I vaguely remember something like this happening and it wasn't just bragging. The US Navy was decommissioning a  WW II battleship (can't remember the name) but they didn't want to waste the ship so they used it as target practice for cruise missiles. After the smoke cleared there was barely a dint in the battleship so it was hastily recommissioned.

Missy

It's one thing to be an opinion editorial, another to pretend you aren't.

Skynet

Speaking of clickbait...

This is a damn good article regarding the fall of Salon.com; when people tell you to trawl social media posts and come up with a whole news article "within the hour" because sending investigators around the country is too expensive, you lost your way as a news agency.

It was honestly a shock to me, as I got into politics something in the Aughties so I had no idea Salon was on the top tier of news agencies, even having their own booths at political conventions along with the cable TV agencies. Now they write stuff like this.

Now that I think about it, particularly in Superman and Spider-Man, fictional news agencies and the protagonist's relationship with the media was quite interesting plot point in superhero comics. Might be funny to have a Buzzfeed-style clickbait news agency in a story unless it's already been done many times before. Like Clark Kent seeing "You won't believe: hi-speed cameras accurately measure dimensions of Superman's package!" as a title in The Daily Planet. Or J Jonah Jameson arguing with a new employee who spends all day getting into online slapfights with Mysterio's Twitter account.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Missy on August 27, 2016, 12:46:10 PM
It's one thing to be an opinion editorial, another to pretend you aren't.
At the risk of coming across as pedantic, but there is no such thing as an "opinion editorial" (would be rather tautological anyway). That's a common misreading of "op-ed", which actually stands for "printed opposite the editorial page". I know it sounds a bit like splitting hairs, but it can be useful to distinguish what actually is an official expression of a paper's editorial board's stance and what isn't.

That said, this sure was a major mistake that shouldn't have happened in any mass-circulation paper that has some self-respect.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

North Korea threatens to fire at search lights of US and SK forces at the DMZ.

Which will be what they say if troopers on the allied side get 'accidentally' shot.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-threatens-to-fire-at-us-s-korea-troops-lights/ar-BBw75HU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15