News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Roads Less Traveled (Mage the Awakening)

Started by Anon315, May 25, 2013, 11:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

Alright, Orchid isn't gelling.  Someone remind me what all we have so far.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Marie Reynolds

So what is not gelling the Moros or the Mysterium cause we could use a Mysterium and I tend to not want to drag new players into the Muck of the Guardians. Have you tried building from the Mortal life and then see what fits the person you made?

DarkNevaeh

Im working on an Acanthus Research type.  I can mae i Mysterium if you wanna try something different.

Anon315

What we have so far:
Obrimos - Arrow,
Thrysus - Ladder,
Acanthus - Free Council,
Moros - Arrow

You:
Moros - Mysterium

And Marie is right. Anyone can "Awaken", make a person, then make them a mage.

AndyZ

Yeah, I know.  The idea just isn't gelling is all.  Sorry.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Marie Reynolds

No problem you can always try bouncing idea off people.

AndyZ

By the way, Anon, are you adding anything special to the rules for names or is it literally your birth name that you have to try to keep hidden in 21st century America?

Marie Reynolds

The biggest the that does if you tell your true name is its easier to have a sympathetic bond and its easier to cast spells on you.

Rook Seidhr

Name: Anaximander ("Mandy" if you must) (birth name Martin Chore)
Sex: male
Concept: poor little rich boy becomes perpetual student
Path: Acanthus
Order: Mysterium
Legacy (planned): Sphinx
Virtue/Vice: Hope/Lust (the latter interpreted primarily as an unhealthy thirst for knowledge)

Physical Description: 6'2", thin, hazel eyes, longish brown hair, carefully trimmed stubble—the grunge look 20 years too late

Personality: Anaximander is a nice guy, a good listener, who manipulates people by telling them the truth as he wants them to hear it. He is a bit conflict-averse and will try to mediate disputes even when his mediation is unwanted.

History: Martin Chore was born with an entire silver tea service in his mouth, his mother a CEO traded between Fortune 500 companies like a ballplayer, his father a business consultant in the petroworld. Having borne a child just to prove she was a “real woman” as well as a financial shark, mother had no idea what to do with Martin, and father was never home; Martin was raised by nannies and au pairs, and attended the best boarding schools. He was a sufficiently gifted student to have attracted unpleasant attention from his peers, but he made an effort to be outgoing and friendly, and managed to avoid the worst bullying as a result.

Martin’s parents had no concrete expectations for him, since there was no family business to inherit; thus he was permitted to do whatever he wanted after reaching adulthood, and what he wanted to do was study. He skipped through half a dozen majors in college before settling on linguistics, and eventually pursued graduate study in that field. His fieldwork in northern Pakistan, studying the near-extinct Burushaski language, set the chain of thoughts in motion that would lead to his Awakening. Burushaski is a “linguistic isolate,” unrelated to any other language on Earth, but Martin found in it tantalizing hints of a larger scheme of language and thought, a proto-language dramatically different from any postulated by contemporary theories.

It was after returning from Pakistan, however, that Martin actually touched the Supernal. During a drunken bout of elevator-surfing with some engineering students, the elevator he was riding kept going up, and up, and up, far past where the roof of the building had to be. He dropped back into the cab, but could not find the “stop” button; in fact, the walls of the elevator cab seemed to have been overgrown with silver thorns and foliage. The bell rang, and the doors opened on a moonlit rooftop garden. At its center was a reflecting pool encircled by ornate runes inlaid in the pavement. One of them was missing, so Martin pricked his finger on a thorn and drew in the character that logically had to be there. He returned to his senses in the elevator cab, with his friends shouting his name.

The Mysterium found him within days after his Awakening, and he received his basic magical training in the New York City Consilium. After successfully defending his thesis, he received a call from a recruiter for the NSA. Divination told him that his destiny lay in that direction, so he turned his Prospect Park condo over to a leasing agent and departed for the Norfolk, VA naval base.

Do I need more here?

What I offer to and expect to get out of this game are: I can post at least once a day. I'm reliable when it comes to games I play in; the only games I've ever dropped out of before they died a horrible slow death are games I was running, and either I cancelled the game before it started or I found a replacement GM. I would like to be disturbed, frightened, have to run to the bank for a reality check; Mage is a great game for mindfuck horror.

EDIT: added history

Marie Reynolds

So when should we Start Making background ties and actually start putting together the actual character sheet?

Rook Seidhr

Anon315

Barring any submissions in the interim, the current group (including our inspirationally challenged member) will be accepted, and I look to start things around Wednesday, the 5th. I have that day off, and should have pleeeenty of time to weave the tapestry that is unraveling about you. Look for a post by 5pm, CST (GMT-6 or something).

Any still interested, feel free to post. You have a few days, and this group isn't locked in, I just feel that if I get no others, this is a group I can go forward with. Assuming poor Andy can wake his imagination from its slumber.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on May 30, 2013, 08:40:12 AM
So when should we Start Making background ties and actually start putting together the actual character sheet?

Now would be the time. Though keep in mind you may not know each other beyond a name, a mention, or in passing. Similarly however you could have been lifelong friends for all it matters. Make exploitable connections all you like.

AndyZ

Pumpkin Seeds

AndyZ

Well, next question would be if we want to all be a cabal and have a big sanctum set up where we can work together.  It's significantly cheaper for 5 people to each spend 2xp for a point than for one person to spend 30xp for 5, and then we'd only need one Hallow.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: AndyZ on June 01, 2013, 10:00:47 AM
Well, next question would be if we want to all be a cabal and have a big sanctum set up where we can work together.  It's significantly cheaper for 5 people to each spend 2xp for a point than for one person to spend 30xp for 5, and then we'd only need one Hallow.
We don't have to start out as a cabal for that. We can drop our first 2xp each on it, assuming we can find an unclaimed Hallow (hello politics my old friend). Anaximander has the Resources to justify buying nearly any property, and the rest of you can contribute elbow grease getting it into shape to justify your xp expenditure.

Marie Reynolds

Well we could all go the route of a premade Cabal or which I think would be more interesting build it in character and all just be members of the local Consilium.

AndyZ

What did you decide for names?  Also, are you using any unofficial errata or things like that?

Rook Seidhr

Anon315, I'm curious whether you're going to put a limit on stripping starting Merits for Gnosis and/or stripping starting Wisdom for XP. In my experience, if stripping Merits for Gnosis is permitted but not required, anyone who doesn't finds themselves magically quite weak compared to the other PCs for the entire campaign. I'm willing to take that risk in order to build the character concept I have in mind, but I'd like to call it to your attention nonetheless.

Quote from: Muse on May 26, 2013, 06:27:37 AM
After attending junior college, he got up the resources to go to an art school in New York.
Muse, since your character and mine are roughly the same age and both attended school in New York (Columbia University in Anaximander's case), perhaps they know each other?

EDIT: Tweaked my character sheet a bit: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=580876

DarkNevaeh

Working on my Free COuncil background...though might change to Mastigos...since we have none...lol

Anon315

Quote from: Riveda on June 01, 2013, 12:37:33 PM
Anon315, I'm curious whether you're going to put a limit on stripping starting Merits for Gnosis and/or stripping starting Wisdom for XP. In my experience, if stripping Merits for Gnosis is permitted but not required, anyone who doesn't finds themselves magically quite weak compared to the other PCs for the entire campaign. I'm willing to take that risk in order to build the character concept I have in mind, but I'd like to call it to your attention nonetheless.
Muse, since your character and mine are roughly the same age and both attended school in New York (Columbia University in Anaximander's case), perhaps they know each other?

EDIT: Tweaked my character sheet a bit: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=580876

No wisdom drops. Merits for gnosis is 3:1 merits points per gnosis. We're starting as semi-advanced characters, 35 xp after starting, so people CAN up their gnosis that way also.

AndyZ

Besides the true name question, I was wondering about how you do Morality?  Like, is it still a Wisdom degeneration to use magic to harm if you're using it in self-defense, or against non-humans?

Anon315

Quote from: AndyZ on June 01, 2013, 08:13:02 PM
Besides the true name question, I was wondering about how you do Morality?  Like, is it still a Wisdom degeneration to use magic to harm if you're using it in self-defense, or against non-humans?

In response to earlier true name question, I follow Dresden rules. They need your FULL name, and spoken from your own lips to gain a great bonus. Your basic name will give them a slight bonus. For instance: If you are Richard Aberforth Walker, and you go by Rich Walker, or Abe Walker, or Dick Walker, these are all different names. Sure, if I have one of these, it will make my magic working on you slightly easier, but if you introduce yourself (REALLY foolishly) as Richard Walker, and I can notice the inflection and think on this while I'm casting, you are in a sore way. If I look it up on your Facebook, or from your Driver's License, then you are minorly disadvantaged.

Wisdom degeneration: If you use magic to directly harm someone, it is an act of hubris, be they a human on the street, or a vampire attempting to gnaw your neck. You are USING MAGIC to HARM SOMEONE. Sure, a vampire is less human than a human, but it's more about the act than about the target. That having been said, if you use magic to save yourself from a vampire you didn't go hunting for, I might aid your roll to preserve wisdom or avoid derangement. If you're breaking into his haven and gunning for him without proper motivation, then expect no assistance. Vampires are people too. Some of them are better people than you are. I've known Golcondites.

Muse

That sounds good, Riveda. I'll say more when I get back from this movie.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)