Suggestions Needed - History / Politics

Started by Caeli, December 16, 2007, 08:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

I have an essay that needs writing, but I'm drawing a blank for topics. Here's the prompt:

QuoteIn your final essay, you are asked to locate a case study that richly illustrates the phenomenon of resistance -- in other words, a person, or a group of people, expressing resistance to a mode of power (or modes of power) perceived to be unjust.  You might write on a case that depicts overtly political acts of resistance, such as a protest movement, or a grass-roots political movement; or you might consider cases which demonstrate acts of resistance that are voiced through artistic, literary or other sorts of creative expression.

For those of you who are more learned or know your history better than I, do you have any suggestions of interesting historical movements? I'm not limited to any certain historical period or any region / nation, so it could be anything from Ancient Greece to today, as long as I have adequate resources to draw from.

I've thought about the recent Burma situation, but there might not be adequate information. So, any suggestions? They shouldn't be really 'popular' picks, like Martin Luther King Jr.'s Civil Rights Movement, but... yeah. Suggestions for historical movements are welcome. :]
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sherona

I did an essay with this question as the key areas that the essay was suppose to be written on. I did mine on the underground areas in German and Poland (and other countries occupied by Hitler's army) that helped smuggle Jews and other 'enemies' that were hunted under the Nazi regime. I used mostly historical books from the library and from my own records for my research on this, as well as a few in person interviews with holocaust survivors. Theirs was a more behind the scenes resistance then say the American Revolution, but still helped in its own way :)

It might be a 'common' topic, but probably less common then the civil rights movement (which in and of itself is a vast topic) or the civil war and teh souths eventual succession, or even the American revolution.

Zakharra

The resistance that Mao Sa Tun(sp) did in WWII in China , later becoming the leader of Communist China. Another example is Ghandi of India, in the last century.

Sherona

Quote from: Zakharra on December 17, 2007, 08:50:03 AM
The resistance that Mao Sa Tun(sp) did in WWII in China , later becoming the leader of Communist China. Another example is Ghandi of India, in the last century.

This is a great one, pretty interesting and doing a simple search I found quite a few credible sources for it as well :)

Sam

Quote from: Caeli on December 16, 2007, 08:58:46 PM
For those of you who are more learned or know your history better than I, do you have any suggestions of interesting historical movements?

I'm just guessing that when it says "West Coast, USA" in your profile that you're in California.  If not, never mind, but if you are... the Black Panther Party.  They were founded in Oakland and California was the site of their biggest moves in the world of black nationalism/resistance.  You should be able to find a ton of stuff locally to fill out a decent-sized paper.

Celestial Goblin

How about being original and off-beat and writing about the Swedish file-sharing portal Pirate Bay? In the context of them resisting copyright laws they see as unjust, devoting time and sweat, fighting in courts and even starting a political party, all to be able to provide free content for people around the world?

If you want a more typical topic, I could help with stuff from Polish history, like during IIWW or all the stages of resistance against Soviet-backed communist goverment.
(did you know people who conspired side by side against nazi's would later hate each other because some of them were communists and others were declared outlaw by USSR?)

Hannibal

Quote from: Caeli on December 16, 2007, 08:58:46 PM
I have an essay that needs writing, but I'm drawing a blank for topics. Here's the prompt:

For those of you who are more learned or know your history better than I, do you have any suggestions of interesting historical movements? I'm not limited to any certain historical period or any region / nation, so it could be anything from Ancient Greece to today, as long as I have adequate resources to draw from.

I've thought about the recent Burma situation, but there might not be adequate information. So, any suggestions? They shouldn't be really 'popular' picks, like Martin Luther King Jr.'s Civil Rights Movement, but... yeah. Suggestions for historical movements are welcome. :]

You are spoilt for choices from any era of history, culture or sub-culture. Every 'mode of power' has its resistance of some sort and almost all couch their fight in emotive terms such as 'unjust'. I'd start with picking a period of history, or an area of study, that you are either interested in or interested in learning more about. It could be the English Civil War, the French Resistance, Ghandi or colonel rule, the South African anti-arpartheid movement, art (such as Picasso's Guernica), non-violent resistance movements, Napoleonic War pamphletting, etc, etc. Select a few topics and then check your college or university libraries for source material. Academic essays always score higher if the sources are from physical books rather than online. You should also check the range and quality of primary source material as it is more important than secondary sources.

I hope that helps even though I didn't provide any specific topics :)
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

MagicalPen

I'd personally pick the French Resistance, being a WWII buff type of guy. Could you even look at Allied POW's resisting their Captors? You know...planning escapes, etc. Could tie in with the locals who helped them.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Caeli

In the end, I picked the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century. ;D I just learned about it, so I have a lot of primary sources to work with.

Thanks for everyone's help~ :3
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs