Arrakis, also known as Dune - Freeform Sci Fi [MUL]

Started by Kate, June 24, 2012, 02:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

The link below between the dividing lines says it all (needs sound)

Chapter 01 - A Very Delicate Time (Main Titles)

Concept

None can have control over a house or be Royal Atredies, but can belong to any of the following:

a) Major house
b) Major Guilds / Schools (including the freeman).
c) Spice or Space pirates
d) Anything else that comes to mind that fits into the Dune culture

It will be set just after the movie.

This is to check interest levels

Character format

Name:
Appearance: (Must be photo realistic, no anime / cartoon stuff please )
Contacts:
Association: (House / Guild (if any))
Personality:
Background:

Because of the massive variation between houses and their eccentric tastes and culture,
it would be set in the Extreme section (not that I'm imaging many sex scenes)

Frelance

I am very interested. I love the movie! Unfortunately I have not read the books yet.

I would be interested in making either b or c.
Evolution is an arms race

Kate

It will be set in the universe / theme but will not follow any of the books there afterwards

(characters are free to define the universe as they see fit ... may be heads of guilds later / or royalist or rule dune.... or start their own school or ... )

No need to have read the books, anyone who has seen the movie => Knows enough for the level of cannon'ing I care for.

Frelance

Evolution is an arms race

PeacethatPowerbrings

I'd be interested in this, definitely. A Tleilaxu envoy might be interesting.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Kuroneko

I love Dune and have read all the books.  I'm tentatively interested in playing a Bene Gesserit, but my time is a little limited at the moment and I wouldn't want to hold anyone back by being slow.  So, call me potentially interested for the moment.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Kate

This is a VERY strange thread. I can understand if people think "hmm know the movie but role playing in it ?"

Bene Gesserit would be welcomed and here is how i would treat them

What they "sense" and predict they can be "god-modes on" if it  is within reason (ie what they sense makes sense) - AND - they don't JUST benefit from doing so - but also have to opens plot tangent that is NOT in their favor (ie they learn more than they wanted, parts of what they learn they dont like)

Primarily their strength is how well connected they are to other Bene Gesserits, most would be able to talk freely to others of the same guild, who are under the employment of whatever house etc. (Ie political)

So they can go to non-player characters and "sense whatever" and do so with player characters also (within reason). Doing that to a mentat or a Navigator however can make them VERY ill (as their minds get spammed with equations that sicken them literally, they can glean some things from them like emotions, but reading their minds further than that is something they hate trying and are only partially successful with, attempting to do so to a stage three navigator could put the "bene gesserit witch" in a coma if she isnt careful)

Using the voice on player characters WILL be ok, but not immediately, that may warrant OOC discussions on how it can be done without annoying others too much.

Kuroneko

That all sounds good.  Having spent a lot of time playing on an X-Men board with telepaths characters, I think it's a good idea to ask/then discuss with the players involved beforehand what might be gleaned from such activity, and if using the Voice on them is okay to avoid any possible conflict. 

Kate

One thing i am a huge fan of is NOT trying to be fair for an encounter

but fair from power / connections / opportunities over time.

So character X meets B.G. witch, and "the witch" uses the voice on the the other =>Non-con. (This is free form no system).  The BGW does "god mode the other" (as long as its not fatal), but LATER in subsequent posts I will give the character that was "overwhelmed" or at a loss during that time some ace. (Finds something super good, befriends someone powerful that had the same thing happen to them, they devise anti BG plots and have some powerul allies ... House Ix for example.)

So encounters are one sided, ie each writes plot / god modes, but balance does happen, over time.

If anyone wants to be a stage 3 navigator they can, Im not going to rule out anything, as powerful as they are they are limited in many ways logistically.

Also being part of the royal family (say the empress' daughter is OK, but she is very limited in things she can do, she is powerful in one sense but far from free to run amuck.

Misty Zephyrs

Count me in. I had started making a character for possibly doing a one-one-one based in the Dune universe on Arrakis.  She is Bene Gesserit, but she is not a god-mode character. I'll make a post within a few days.

Kate

Misty, excellent news,

Welcome aboard Bene Gesserit.

Misty Zephyrs

Thanks, hope you don't mind, my character will be a "leetle" more canon, in that I've done quite a bit of research on the Bene Gesserit.  I've read the books, at least Dune up through Chapterhouse: Dune.  Haven't read any of the prequels.  And actually, I didn't really care for any of the books following God Emperor of Dune.  I've seen the original movie with Sting as Feyd Ruatha, but haven't seen the SyFy original movies.

As far as getting a post up, I meant an overview of my character, in case that wasn't clear.  Though, I assume you knew what I meant.  :P

Quote from: Kate on July 07, 2012, 07:58:11 PM
Misty, excellent news,

Welcome aboard Bene Gesserit.

Veluux

Color me interested as well. Misty and I have had a 1on1 Dune RP in the works that we've just never gotten around to because of RL craziness on both our parts. I saw this post and decided to direct her to it - I like group games better than 1on1s usually anyways. ^.^ I'll be working with Misty to get a character worked out. Mine will likely be a Fremen character, not sure on that yet though.

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Kuroneko

I'm going to bow out.  I really don't think I have the time with a work project.  Good luck everyone!

Veluux

Quote from: Kuroneko on July 07, 2012, 10:22:18 PM
I'm going to bow out.  I really don't think I have the time with a work project.  Good luck everyone!

Sad to see you go. Maybe in the future, if you're still interested and we're still in need of players. ^.^

Kuroneko

Quote from: Veluux on July 07, 2012, 10:38:29 PM
Sad to see you go. Maybe in the future, if you're still interested and we're still in need of players. ^.^

Thanks.  I'm sorry all, I'm just freaking out about my book deadline  :-\

Veluux

Quote from: Kuroneko on July 07, 2012, 10:48:52 PM
Thanks.  I'm sorry all, I'm just freaking out about my book deadline  :-\

No worries. In the Marines we followed this saying under pressure: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is FAST."

You'll get it done!