Angry Jake vs Twilight Fangirl

Started by Sabby, November 24, 2012, 12:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/11/19/twilight-breaking-dawn-part-2-review.aspx

Edit: Bah, Blip is a dick when it comes to embedding, so guna leave the link above in case the video unembeds itself again.

http://blip.tv/play/hJFxg4m8KAI.html?p=1

Even though the girl is acting, she does like Twilight, and Jake's anger is definitely real. Even knowing that she's playing it up, he has a LOT of venom backed up. For those that don't know, these guys go to midnight screenings and give their VLOG in the car immediately after the movie. His biggest mental breakdown was with The Smurfs, but this tops it.

So yeah, this particular VLOG is staged, but hilarious :)

Caitlin

Sabby

psychobillynight

Heh, just like me whenever my sister tries to explain why I should like Twilight.

Brandon

Im surprised he didnt talk about the under tone of Twilights message. You know that incredibly creepy and arguably mysoginistic aspect where it implies the only special thing about women is when they willfully submit to codependant bonds through traditional marraige or further submission (in Bella's case being in mind and body) to a child.

From the beginning the films have had this message that teaches young women that being willful and independant will only lead to misery and that they can only be special or happy through a guy. Thats a message that I find quite frightening in this day and age because, to me, it feels like a blueprint for turning young women into future domestic abuse victims.

To be fair, when I was dragged to the movie I didnt get the vibe that Jacob and the kid (I forget her name off the top of my head) were meant to be romanticly involved in the future. The movie was pretty clear that the bonding was of a strictly plutonic nature but then I question the message that twilight gives for guys. Its yet another message of submission to a child (one thats not even his own) only in the males case and in Jacobs case I wasnt convinced it was volentary either. Regardless no matter how I look at it I find it just as creepy as the other messages of the story.

I get the whole idea of being fought over but they finished that up in the second? movie when Bella picked the vampire over the werewolf. Then repeated it in the third movie as Jacob stood around not getting the message.

The only good part of this latest movie was that big battle scene that

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Doesnt really happen because that whole battle is just the future telling vampire giving everyone a glimpse of the future. How she can project those predictions into OTHER peoples minds is still something that escaped me. However finding out that there was never a battle and never any consequences to the actions of any of the characters over 5 movies was just a major let down and I would go so far as to call it bad storytelling. Its like they skipped the whole resolution phase of telling a story just to keep sending the willful submission messages

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Golden Touch

I couldn't... I just quit after the first minute. That girl's voice is incredibly irritating. >>;;

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Sabby

Spoony (a friend of theirs and fellow internet critic) raised a good point. Why are Bella and Edward in love?

Name one thing they have talked about. Name one common interest. Name one single, solitary interaction they have ever had that doesn't revolve around the fact they wanna fuck.

There is absolutely zero chemistry between them. They are literally in love because they are in love.

Love And Submission

You know as much as I dislike Twilight and what it's done to vampires , the only people  I dislike more then Twihards are people who hate Twilight because of it's alleged Mysoginistic theme.Really? There's a mysoginistic theme in a vampire story? Wow I'm like totally amazed , man.
Dracula and Count Orlok always seemed like die hard Feminist.What about Freddy Krueger? Please tell me Freddy Krueger stills respects Women's rights.They're Monsters. They're suppose to be evil. That's like one of the only things Twilight gets right.

Though I can see your point. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a werewolf ripping the entrails out of a hot co-ed and been like "you really shouldn't hit women , Wolfman. That's totally not cool."

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Sabby

Actually, it's Bella that gives it that reputation, not the 'monsters' xD She's one of the most offensively written fuckheads I've ever come across... Basically, she'd get Stockholme Syndrome from sharing an elevator ride with a broom handle.

Moraline

I enjoy Twilight. It's light weight entertainment, which is what it's supposed to be. I have issues with aspects of it, but I'm hard pressed to not find issues with almost everything. Sure it can be over done melodrama, sometimes wooden performances and sparkly vampires make me want to vomit. However, I still enjoy a little Vampire politics or Wolfish romp now and again. I also happen to enjoy some rather terrible B movies as well.

As for the Angry Jake thing. That man is an irredeemable rude idiot. There was nothing in that video that made his points meaningful or satirical in anyway. Every word out of his mouth was pure 100% stupid. PS: The girl wasn't any better.

A quick hilarious moment. When he said it wasn't a beautiful love story, "It was Beauty and the Beast revisited." Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beautiful love stories of all time first put into print in 1740 and has been told and retold for centuries.

Out of a score of 10, I give that video 1 out of 10.

That one point was only because I give them a bit of credit for having the courage to film themselves being that idiotic and putting it on internet.

I regret watching that.

Sabby

Quote from: Moraline on December 03, 2012, 09:47:58 AM
As for the Angry Jake thing. That man is an irredeemable rude idiot.

If I had to drag myself to every midnight screening around my actual work life, I think I'd have a few Angry Jake rants built up :P Especially with something as popular and heated as the Twilight movies, which are just so unredeemably bad yet have such a viscously fanatical fanbase. And yes, I've seen them in the cinemas, and had to spent the time before and after them with my Aunty and female cousins who are Twihards.

Do you know what it's like to have to force yourself not to backhand a family member and ask them how they can say the things they say? :P And I'm not exaggerating a simple sentence like 'it's a good love story'. I mean things like defending Jacob openly after Bella when she's involved with Edward, and Bella not only letting it happen, but prolonging it.

Just after she got engaged, she runs out of the tent and tells Jacob to kiss her... to keep him around. Why? Please. Explain to me why any of this behaviour could be defended. I really feel like I'm watching the poorly written and unlikeable teens in a slasher movie, but being expected to find it an endearing romance.

Moraline

He doesn't have to go to anything that he doesn't want to. He's an adult and can choose what he watches, what he says, and who he says it to.

The whole video is staged as nothing more then a "he said she said" cinematic critique, it's poorly done and most of what he says is nonsensical drivel. She's no better.

Whether you agree with his opinions on the movie or not, the way in which he presents it and formulates his arguments are pure irredeemable rude idiotic behaviour. It's the equivalent of poorly done sensationalistic internet media journalism.

What value did his revue bring? None.

I stand by my earlier assessment. I regret watching it.

Sabby

You... clearly misunderstand the point of these videos. These aren't reviews. Midnight Screening is the immediate impressions after the movie, and full, detailed reviews are posted later. This one in particular is played up as an in joke. I don't fault you not getting it because you're not a viewer, and I probably should have been clearer on that :/

The girls been established as a Twilight fan and Jake is angry at bad movies. This is the last Twilight film, and it's just those two in the car (they cycle a half dozen people when the schedule allows) so only the frustrations are legitimate, no one in this video is presenting a review or a serious critique of any kind. This isn't a review series.

I actually think it's pretty refreshing that they have this unapologetically honest interview before their more professional videos.

Moraline

Quote from: Sabby on December 03, 2012, 10:39:52 AM
You... clearly misunderstand the point of these videos. These aren't reviews.
<snip>
I actually think it's pretty refreshing that they have this unapologetically honest interview before their more professional videos.

This is the part I don't like. I honestly don't care what he thinks.

I didn't miss the point of it. I understood it, it just wasn't funny/useful/informative/entertaining or anything at all. For me it was an enormous waste of my time and I found him and his demeanor revolting on many levels.

If someone is going to give an interview or review or whatever name they wish to call it (it really was a review, whether a rant or not he was still critiquing the movie) then I would like to see a coherent thought pattern and not just whatever mindless drivel spills out of his pie hole.

He should take a second to think about it and formulate something that makes sense. As I gave the example of earlier, when he spewed the nonsense about Beauty and Beast, he clearly isn't thinking coherently. Other parts of what he was saying was based on his obviously preconceived notions of the previous movies that he admitted to not having watched. Most likely just jumping on the hater band wagon.

It's a poorly thought out rant piece and it doesn't hold any value of any kind. Generally when you choose to say something to the public in any form it should hold some type of value.

What he did and said wasn't funny. It wasn't even amusing a little. He was just rude and obnoxious. If being obnoxious was his intent then I have to ask myself why someone would choose to do that? I've seen comedians employ that tactic with great effect - this did not succeed on that level.

While I see that some people might enjoy hearing someone else give voice to their own inner rant, it just doesn't hold any value for me.

His rant just came across as whining like a little bitch and I felt like giving him a pimp slap to shut him up. If I were to hang out with a person that did this in real life, I wouldn't be hanging out with them for very long.

Hey, it's just my opinion and how I felt about him and the video.

Clearly you enjoy seeing someone give voice to your own inner feelings in such a manner and that's great.

I don't see any social or entertainment value in it. So, I choose not to watch anymore of his videos because I have no respect for him.

Sabby

Quote from: Moraline on December 03, 2012, 12:12:34 PM
I would like to see a coherent thought pattern and not just whatever mindless drivel spills out of his pie hole.

He should take a second to think about it and formulate something that makes sense

Uhm... I did just explain the videos are the knee jerk unabashed drivel, and the reviews come later. You say you understand that, and then you complain it's not a well thought out review for the second time?

You don't have to enjoy it, and I understand why you don't find value in it, but I'm getting the impression you're trying very hard to legitimize the fact you're upset :/

Moraline

I'm not trying hard for anything. I think his video was a waste of time. Whether he intended it as "knee jerk unabashed drivel," or not.

Anyways, my point is. I think the video is revolting and I gave plenty of reasons why I feel that way. That's my review of his video.

I also didn't like this, it came across as kind of rude. -->  (("but I'm getting the impression you're trying very hard to legitimize the fact you're upset"))

If by legitimize you mean I gave reasons why I didn't like it then yes, that's what I did. That's what people do when they discuss things. They formulate an opinion on something then give thought out articulate reasons for the opinion.

I didn't need to try hard. The video started and ended as obnoxious.

Note: He saw a movie then he commented on it. That's called a review, by the way, No matter how you try to define it.

Sabby

It really was not meant as rude :/ It's just a bit asinine to keep asserting your one point when it really is irrelevant and you've already given perfectly valid reasons for not liking the video. You don't need to provide anything else... Which is why I said 'trying to legitimize', or finding as many reasons as possible when you're dislike is already validated. You've latched onto the 'it's a bad review' angle and stuck to it so long we've had to hear 'a review is when people talk about things' just to keep it in play.

I really am confused, and it just comes off as being hyper defensive.

Moraline

Curious you say that. Have you noticed that your doing practically the same thing?

*edit* Also, I'm just responding to your posts. If you didn't respond to mine to jump to the defense of your video post then this whole conversation would never have happened in the first place.

Sabby

That would be true if it weren't in response to you're own claim :P When one point is asserted 5 times in 1 way, you get 5 very similar rebuttals.

Moraline

Actually you responded to my post and I simply stated that what you said made no difference to me and that I stood by my opinion. I was not trying to force you to respond, I was simply standing by my opinion.

Then you rebutted by making the point that it wasn't meant to be a review and saying I didn't understand it. I went on to explain that it was indeed a review and I did understand it.

Then you went on to tell me, "It's just a bit asinine to keep asserting your one point when it really is irrelevant." Which again is very rude.

So that brought us to the last couple posts where I pointed out that you doing the exact same thing you were accusing me of.

This finally led you to tell me that I had said the same thing 5 times. Which was interesting because I clearly didn't just say the same thing in my last post.

You've accused me of trying to "legitimize" my arguments
Told me I was upset
You've called me asinine.
... called me hyper defensive

Perhaps I am a bit defensive but you sir, are rude.

I no longer think that your previous post accidentally came across as rude. You are just simply rude.

Mithlomwen

Time out. 

I think it's probably best to just agree to disagree on the subject. 

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Sabby

Yes Ma'am. I don't believe I was rude in asking for relevance, but I will apologize for letting this go so long. Should have stepped out.