News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Cyberpunk Red [System Game]

Started by Malkavian, December 21, 2020, 12:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for a GM/group for a Cyberpunk Red game. After my hiatus for the site, I've decided to only sign up/join/start a single game for the time being, and have been hankering for some Cyberpunk for a good while.

Ideally I'd love to play, though I can run it instead if absolutely necessary. For my own character concept, I'd like to play a Rockerboy - I have two variants of that in mind, one male and one female, and would choose one based on the suggested makeup of the rest of the crew. In either case, I'd like to create them using the Complete creation option, as it allows for the most freedom of choice.

I would be wanting to find - or, it needs be, run - an RP-heavy game where the focus is on the story rather than on pure smut (though this being the Dark Future, smut is littered throughout the setting).

Depending on interest, I'd be happy to play this as a one-to-one (me and a GM), a group game (myself and other players with a GM), or run it (myself as GM with players) if absolutely necessary. I'm just feeling a building Cyberpunk itch that I've wanted to scratch for a while.

Pumpkin Seeds

Malkavian

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 21, 2020, 01:05:38 PMOh oh. Me too me too.

As a player? If so, any thoughts on what Role? Need to know what kind of crew my Rocker is rolling with. 8-)

Pumpkin Seeds

Probably would go Solo. Be security.

In the future I could see running a trauma team game.

Malkavian

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 21, 2020, 01:50:46 PMProbably would go Solo. Be security.

Excellent! Always useful to have a Solo!

Hawkwood

Does it have to be the setting from RED? I ask because 2020 has a plethora of interesting and fun material? And from the way CP2077 has been handled, it looks like they just repurposed most of it.

Malkavian

Would depend upon what your suggesting as an alternative, but short of something more immediately gripping I'd say so.

Hawkwood

There's a heap of 2020 material - most of it references / lamp-shaded in the game. The 'problem' I have with RED is that it feels more post-apocalyptic in parts - the RABIDS virus, post 4th Corporate War state of Arasaka v Militech (I found the build-up to that to be some of the most cyberpunk-y RP I've ever done - shadow-war, rather than all the water stuff). There's also significantly more CP2020 material (four chrome books, numerous source books - granted, they're kind of 80s / 90s-tastic) .But having said that, my concern here is more like "I want a red Ferrari rather than a blue one". I think the CP2020 stuff was as much a product of its time as CP2077 is.

So I'd still like to toss my hat into the ring.

Malkavian

Fair enough. I still prefer Red without suggestions to a specific alternative, but if any GM we found did prefer 2020 I do have stats already made up for my Rockerboy using that system, too.

Any idea on what Role you'd prefer? Looks like we have a Rockerboy and Solo, so far.

Hawkwood

Oh! Sorry for being vague. I was offering to GM, hence the gentle nudge towards 2020. But if you're set on RED, I can work with that too!

Malkavian

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 03:26:12 PMOh! Sorry for being vague. I was offering to GM, hence the gentle nudge towards 2020. But if you're set on RED, I can work with that too!

Oh! If you're offering to GM, I'd be up for either. Admittedly I am revved up for Red since I've only recently gotten it and am loving 2077 (controversial as that might be, but not a topic for here) - and like that it bridges the gap. It's also slimmed down in places, which makes for quicker play (I hear).

As I said, if you were set on 2020 I do have stats for my Rockerboy - would likely tweak her background a little though as I did another Lifepath that fits better. For Red, I have two variants of the Rockerboy that I can use.

Any thoughts/preferences, Pumpkin Seeds?

Hawkwood

Having had a brief look at the RED skill list, I agree; it looks really better and faster (but it looks like there are now only two hit-locations - no more firing full auto into someone and blowing only their right arm off). And yes, I very much like CP2077 too, and it has likewise given me the itch.

Pumpkin Seeds

I only really have access to Red right now and have heard it is the superior.  I have had abs played CP2020 so if we must we must but world like to try Red.

Malkavian

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 03:40:13 PMHaving had a brief look at the RED skill list, I agree; it looks really better and faster (but it looks like there are now only two hit-locations - no more firing full auto into someone and blowing only their right arm off). And yes, I very much like CP2077 too, and it has likewise given me the itch.

All hits default to Body, though you can also target head, held object, or legs. -8 penalty to do so, but you can either deal double damage (post Stopping Power), force them to drop the item, or knock them prone, respectively.

Armour is bought for, and tracked separately on, Head and Body.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 21, 2020, 03:53:11 PMI only really have access to Red right now and have heard it is the superior.  I have had abs played CP2020 so if we must we must but world like to try Red.

I have played 2020, and run it, but not yet done either with Red. Even so, it looks better overall. I'm eager to try it, too.

Hawkwood

Then RED it is. My hardcopy doesn't arrive for another few days, but have just bought it as a PDF so will be doing some more thorough reading.

From the discussion above, it looks like we're going to be focussing on / based around Malk's rocker. Care to tell us more?

From a book-keeping perspective, I assume NC: Human / System / Small Group works?

Chrisking777

Can I join? I'm interested I love cyberpunk and

Malkavian

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 04:35:13 PMFrom the discussion above, it looks like we're going to be focussing on / based around Malk's rocker. Care to tell us more?

Works for me! I have two Rockerboys in mind: the first is a (male) altruistic Rockerboy whose music was originally a means of channelling his need to vent - but that became something more when events spiralled and he became first-hand witness to the disastrous collateral caused by the Corps. Now he uses his music and pull to try and rouse rebellion against the organisation's which are destroying the common people.

The second, and my original, is a (female) Rockerboy who was born to a very powerful, politically married exec couple, but who left their controlling lifestyle behind. She became a known, and liked, quantity in her Megabuilding, and slipped into a street kid lifestyle like she was born to it.

Her mentor was a busker - and it was from him that she realised, and developed, a powerful skill with music and song writing. Her parents, having not only located her but grown increasingly angry at her refusal to abandon her "idiotic insolence," killed the busker and evicted her from her Megabuilding apartment - something they thought would scare her enough to come back. They were wrong.

"Angry" doesn't begin to describe the girl's reaction - and her passion for music, and growing street connections, allowed her to channel that fury into the Role of a Rockerboy. But her music wasn't enough: she wanted revenge, she wanted blood. She'd been wronged, and she intended to even the score. But there was more to it than that: she had lived both as a Corpo and Street Kid and knew just how twisted and antagonistic the companies were, and just how badly the Night City citizenry suffered as a result. To enact real change, she needed to rip the beating heart out of the Corp itself - and if doing so meant literally committing the same act upon her parents, then so much the better.

This character is based on my original Cyberpunk 2020 Rockerboy, and is one I am more familiar with (though I've changed her background in places since making her originally). This Rockerboy variant is singleminded, passionate, inspiring, intellectual, and violent, and would provide a very different RP experience than her altruistic male counterpart.

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 04:35:13 PMFrom a book-keeping perspective, I assume NC: Human / System / Small Group works?

Works for me!

Chrisking777

I'm thinking being the social get jobs for us kind of character maybe fill lite net running.

Malkavian

Quote from: Chrisking777 on December 21, 2020, 05:30:46 PMI'm thinking being the social get jobs for us kind of character maybe fill lite net running.

Sounds like we could have a Fixer. ;D

Hawkwood

So. In order to get things moving on this:

1) Please PM me your character sheets / concepts. I'm crap at writing code for pretty sheets. If someone wants to do so, great. If not, then just a block of reasonably well-spaced / formatted text will work just fine.

2) CPRed doesn't really seem to encourage multi-role-ing that well. That is to say you can either have Interface or Operator.

3) My assumption is that we're going to be looking for 3-4 people, meaning 0-1 more.

4) Do you folk want to start off knowing each other? If not, I'm sure I can find a Scav ice-bath somewhere just waiting for 3-4 randos to wake up in...

Pumpkin Seeds

I think it would be cool if this was some street kid that lived in the Megabuilding when everything went down and was essentially shipped off to the Corporate Wars where she became a hardened soldier.  Maybe her returning had the Rockergirl want to extend her a lifeline and contract as her bodyguard.

Malkavian

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 10:01:11 PM1) Please PM me your character sheets / concepts. I'm crap at writing code for pretty sheets. If someone wants to do so, great. If not, then just a block of reasonably well-spaced / formatted text will work just fine.

I'll get one over to you. I assume we're doing the Complete Package method of creation?

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 10:01:11 PM2) CPRed doesn't really seem to encourage multi-role-ing that well. That is to say you can either have Interface or Operator.

At character creation, yes. Once you've got Improvement Points, you can spend them to "buy into" a new Role, gaining that Role's Ability at rank 1. The Street now views you as your new Role, but you retain the Ability from your old one.

However, you can only buy into another Role when your CURRENT Role Ability is 4 or higher.

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 10:01:11 PM3) My assumption is that we're going to be looking for 3-4 people, meaning 0-1 more.

However many works for you. I'm good 3-4, sure.

Quote from: Hawkwood on December 21, 2020, 10:01:11 PM4) Do you folk want to start off knowing each other? If not, I'm sure I can find a Scav ice-bath somewhere just waiting for 3-4 randos to wake up in...

I'm good with pre-existing connections, even if with only one or two of the group. Up to the others if they want to know, or know of, my Rockerboy beforehand.

Malkavian

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 21, 2020, 10:08:02 PMMaybe her returning had the Rockergirl want to extend her a lifeline and contract as her bodyguard.

Doubt she'd have openly hired you as a bodyguard, but if you were from her Megabuilding she might well have offered you a job: namely one that involved kidnapping one of the Corp suits that worked under her parents. Likely the low level Corpo knew who her father hired to kill her mentor - and the Rockerboy wants the name so she can return the favour in kind.

What do you think, Pumpkin Seeds? If the above plot went well, I can imagine they'd find work with one another often enough - especially if said work involved causing pain to the ones my Rockerboy is mad at.

Not sure if the above "intro plot" can work with your story set up, Hawkwood, but might be a good way to get these two involved, either as a place to start or as background fluff that details how they met?

Pumpkin Seeds

You keep the money coming and I'll keep the bullets flying.

I don't get the feeling this character would be opposed to helping hand out some revenge.  Considering her theme song for far is Die MF Die by Dope.

Malkavian

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 21, 2020, 10:31:56 PMI don't get the feeling this character would be opposed to helping hand out some revenge. Considering her theme song for far is Die MF Die by Dope.

Choice song, choom.

You can certainly help her burn the world down. >:)