News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mage the Ascension

Started by Yandros, April 16, 2020, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yandros

Hello!
My last post here was a big vague in scope and nature, so I believe that is why it did not get much traction at all.  So with that in mind, I have decided to narrow things down, and focus upon the game that I would love to play.  Which just happens to be Mage!
Ascension only, as I took a rather disliking to the newer version of it.  Not going to go on my little rant about that game, but needless to say, Awakening is just not for me.

I currently have two characters in mind, though I am not going to go into too much detail at the moment.  I tend to reserve that for when I have an actual ST to do a game with!  But the short versions are: 
A Son of Ether, who is rather obsessed with building his own Ethership.
A Virtual Adept, who has spent so much time working online, that he is not quite certain where reality ends and other realms start.

As you can see, both concepts very much play into escapism.  Not going to lie, we could all use a bit of it now!  So with that said, yes I would love to explore other realms with these characters!  Leave Earth behind for a bit, and start to play around in the Umbra, Void, etc etc.  Not to say that they would not deal with Earth and what not, but just to have a focus on exploration.

In terms of sex and lewd, I am fairly open?  I play characters who are attracted to femininity.  With a vast preference for women characters.  Don't care what you are OOC'ly, but IC'ly my characters are almost exclusively going for women.
The one thing that is a full and hard stop for me is rape or anything non-con.  Full stop.  I want -nothing- to do with it, and I do not even want it so much as mentioned in a game I am in.  No tragic backstories with it being a part, nothing off screen, no implied, NOTHING.  It doesn't exist in the world.  The concept literally does not even occur to anyone.
Hell, if you wish for there to be nothing lewd in the game?  I am perfectly happy with that too!  The focus can be on the game, and anything lewd/sexual can happen off screen.  I'm just really wanting to play.

I'm open to having other characters, though I would not want the game to get too big.

Well, here is hoping that something comes of this!  Best of luck to everyone in their searches.

Captain America

If you're up for the M20 version of Ascension, it seems I managed to get some traction and an ST.
Skype Captain America (captainamerica_@Hotmail.com)

Feel free to pester me.

Yandros

Thank you for the head's up!  I saw the recruitment thread in the other forum.  Unfortunately (and I know this is 100% me being picky), I really hate the Avatar Storm.  It limits the character concepts I really had in mind, and forces most of the play to be on Earth.  Where as, my real desire is to play a Mage that explores places other than Earth.  Especially the Umbra.

But, once again thank you for the information!

RSGAlex

I might toss my hat in to ST since I'd like to get some WoD skill polishing done. Got a preference for which of those two concepts so I know what to bone up on in terms of both lore and reading?
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Yandros

Oh!  Oh OH!  A ST!  Oh yays!

As for which concept, oh goodness.  I would say it is a 60/40 split, with the Son of Ether being my slight preference.  I just love the idea of some crazy scientist, working off of old crackpot theories, delving into other realms. 
I am completely fine with starting at normal character generation, so there is build up for the character.  Spirit 3 allows to step sideways, but he would need Spirit 4 before more crazy adventures can really happen.  But also a host of other Spheres/Skills to really bring together an Ethership.  Which means plenty of room for growth and adventures along the way!

RSGAlex

Also don't forget favor trading to get the wonders to assemble the ship faster.

(Or for the VA, a killer high-end trinary rig for more or less the same result.)

Please wait warmly.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Yandros

Quote from: RSGAlex on May 08, 2020, 10:24:36 AM
Also don't forget favor trading to get the wonders to assemble the ship faster.

(Or for the VA, a killer high-end trinary rig for more or less the same result.)

Indeed! 
How many people are you thinking of trying to recruit for this?

Muse

*peeks*

Is there still an opening? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RSGAlex

Quote from: Yandros on May 08, 2020, 05:24:24 PM
Indeed! 
How many people are you thinking of trying to recruit for this?
I'd want to cap at 5, but I'd leave that to you.

Quote from: Muse on May 08, 2020, 07:40:47 PM
*peeks*

Is there still an opening? 

Probably.

Please wait warmly.

Yandros

5 people would work for me!  Honestly, I leave that up to the ST.  Just do what is comfortable there, ya know?
You are already accommodating me on a lot of things, so I am not picky on the rest!

RSGAlex

Well, (probably) space folks, we got a cap, the interest is over my floor, and I'm willing to take questions, concerns, and so on.

Please wait warmly.

Yandros

Let's see.
How would you like people to create characters?
Will you be using Merits and Flaws?
Will it be 20th Anniversary Edition?

RSGAlex

Normal creation, but you get three dots in the Wonder gratis so you can start with an additional Nice Trick. Merits are good, but I'd want to hear a proposed Flaw ahead of time so I can try to figure out if I can make it worth the cost.

Gonna use M20 for its omnibus nature at least. But no success splitting, no resonance (probably), the Avatar Storm is not a thing, and don't focus on the procedures//tools as M20 goes on about. It's a bit too mired in Brucato's excesses or at least ignoring the Ascension war part of Ascension. Just try and techno/magi-babble your way through looking like the tradition you're part of.

But one thing I will add is buying Rotes/Procedures with BP or Exp. Summarized, because I don't know how much people will use it: One BP for a personal rote or traditional one of your tradition, two BP for an out of tradition one if you're part of the Nine. Personal Rotes can have one of two effects, either personalizing the spell but getting one automatic success on a non-destructive spell, or being a little easier to cast by lowering a higher sphere needed by one dot but adding two dots to other spheres. Don't have to be spheres involved already, and if the higher dot needed was 3 or less it can be spread out, usually. There's a sphere raising counterpart, but I'm not sure anyone would be using it this early on.

Tradition rotes usually start at least one success higher when performed properly, but usually two for non-combat or limited combat effects. The downside is that to get those benefits you must do the rote as learned. So if your Hermetic combat rote involves a ruby, invoking the angel of fire passionately, and is for use against the undead you only get the benefits if you use the ruby the way it says, know the name of the angel of fire anc can invoke passionately, and that at least one thing in the area is undead by Hermetic standards even if that's not the main thing you wanted to immolate.

Please wait warmly.

Muse

Rotes?  Are you pulling this from somewhere? 

Should I go back to an old concept and play my Akashic Shinto shrine maiden/skater girl/demon hunter from Santa Barbera?  I haven't played her in a really long time?  Or pull together someone new? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RSGAlex

Quote from: Muse on May 10, 2020, 02:25:18 AM
  Rotes?  Are you pulling this from somewhere? 

Should I go back to an old concept and play my Akashic Shinto shrine maiden/skater girl/demon hunter from Santa Barbera?  I haven't played her in a really long time?  Or pull together someone new?

Part looking at old stuff, part wanting to give rotes and such a bigger reason to exist than flavor, and part an old forum post from one of the writers about how some bits of mechanics were going to be put in for rotes but then that got left on the cutting room floor.

And as for going old or going new, I'd say that if nothing jumps at you go with a comfy older pair.

Please wait warmly.

Muse

Name:       Kumiko Morisato
Nickname(s):   Psychic Skater Girl Kumiko.  (More of a title, really.)
Race:      Japanese with Rom blood.
Player:    Muse (Tenshi)
Nature:      Visionary
Demeanor:   Thrillseeker
Essence:   Questing
Tradition:   Akashic Brotherhood
Mentor:      Sachiko and Takumi Morisato
Cabal:      

Occupation/Rank:   Heir to the Cherry Blossom Srine (Shinto) in Santa Barbra, which is still run by her grandmother, she currently spends more time as a vigilante protecting her congregation from the predations of vampires, drug dealers, and other unwholesome creatures of the night.  She also participates in skating and gymnastics competitions.

Appearance:   Kawaii!  Kumiko’s health and beauty are a direct result of good living.  Her pale amber skin is smooth and supple, with a few faint scars that the blessing of her favorite kimono has yet to fade.  It flows and ripples over a tightly muscled gymnast’s body.  Her legs are particularly shapely and powerful, not to mention long, rising up curved hips to a trim waist and a belly that could bounce a quarter.  Her chest is pert and high, a bit large for a gymnast, but not extravagant.  Her face is a bit heart shaped for a Japanese girl, and her eyes are blue.  Waist length blue-black hair is usually pulled back in a pony tail by a plain black scrunchy.
   She almost always wears a midnight purple mini-kimono over a black sports bra.  It falls open a little bit when she’s relaxed, though she pulls it tight for battle on account of it’s paranormal defensive properties.  The back is embroidered in painstakingly intricate detail with a blooming cherry tree.  Wind swirls it’s petals around the kimono.  The skirt of this garment barely falls past her hips, but she wears matching pink leggings.  She’s almost never seen wearing shoes, instead preferring, when not barefoot, to wear her roller blades and safety pads, all burgundy in color.
   She’s actually a shade on the short side, but seems taller on account of almost always wearing her roller blades and being so lanky.

Personality:   Bubbly and bouncy, especially when afraid, Kumiko tries to be cheerful and perky at all times, and make the best of life.  She’s capable of quite elegance, and scorns brooding or “goth behavior.”  In truth, she’s got some emotional baggage she’s carrying around, she blames herself for her mother’s death (she died in childbirth) and the things she fights in the night scare her every bit as much as they excite her.  That’s why she becomes more and more a bubbly anime girl the more afraid or distressed she becomes.  In anime, wounds heal, scars are attractive, and little people can stand up to big, scary monsters and triumph.

Kumiko is a hard worker and an adrenaline junky.  She’s not happy unless she’s doing something productive or fun.  She runs hard all day, then sleeps deeply for 6 hours before jumping up to train or cook breakfast.  She sometimes seems like a bundle of nervous energy, especially when you ask her to sit still.  She was mistaken for hyperactive repeatedly as a child, but she truly has no trouble focusing on her studies or anything else she needs to do.

Background:   Sachiko Morisato immigrated to California some time ago with her young son when she made too many enemies of the Japanese magi.  A hereditary priestess as well as Martial Artist Mage and seamstress, Sachiko is older than she looks, a Master of Matter with extensive array of spiritual, telepathic, and life-based powers to compliment those abilities.  Her most recent hobbies include fan-subbing anime and rebuilding old cars.

She was able to acquire a Node and concentrate it as the Cherry Blossom Temple outside of Santa Barbra.  Parishioners of Shinto from all over California come there to worship on major holidays, acquiring lucky arrows and other talismans appropriate to the season.  The shrine is open to other alternative religions, and the curious know that, if they come with open and respectful minds, they’ll find well informed priests.

Her son Takumi runs a small martial arts dojo when not helping out around the temple.  He is known and respected as a martial arts and athletics sensei who sometimes helps people out with their problems a la Quai Chane Kain, rewards being accepted but not asked for.

He’s a bachelor with a slight (and sometimes exaggerated) reputation as a playboy, more because the women he falls in love with either move on after passionate affairs or die than because he engages in overly casual relationships.  One such woman was a blue eyed and busty Rom named Catalina, who died baring him a daughter.

At least, that’s what they told Kumiko.  She recently gained the courage to peer back in time to the moment of her mother’s death and saw herself cradled in the arms of an elf, when men with iron knives burst through the door.  (OR whatever else the storyteller considers an appropriate plot hook.)

Takumi loves his daughter Kumiko very much, and they spend a lot of time training together, translating anime, hunting vampires, and just dining as a family.  Their relationship is sometimes strained, though, by Kumiko’s guilt over her mother dying "in childbirth" and growing independence issues based on being an 18 year old who still lives at home and is going into the family business.

Kumiko was noted as a gifted athlete and martial artist by her father and teachers right from the start.  Neither the best nor worst student in school, she generally managed Bs and Cs with minimal effort.  She did have a few mental talents, though.  She picked up on languages fast, being equally fluent in English, Japanese, Cantonese and Spanish.  She does occasionally slip into a sort of “border speech” and mix her languages, especially when she’s nervous.

She kept very busy growing up, doing little with her family besides training and translating anime.  Her friends were mostly boys and a few girls who shared her love of martial arts or skating, and they formed a sort of spook squad together.  She did have one boyfriend named Ben Kendal in high school, and her relationship with him grew passionate, but dissolved when he was unwilling to give up his virginity with her.  The tension grew too great, and he, being a more cerebral boy, couldn’t really keep up with his highly athletic girlfriend.

Her skater crew narrowed down to a spook squad with the strength of will to do investigative work pertaining to her family’s “second job”, "demon" hunting, a crew of 5 others, John Steel, Jackie Lee, Kokoro Kino, and Ian and Naomi Silverstien.  However, they separated out to various colleges this summer, while Kumiko had to turn down an offer to go to the olympics to keep out from under the technocratic eye.   

Abilities/Disabilities:
   Mundane:  Kumiko is one of the world’s top athletes if ability to perform martial arts in roller blades means anything, and a great gymnast, and martial artist enough to, with a bit of help from her magic, fight young Vampires hand to hand.
   She is multilingual, able to think in four languages, and read and write the Latin alphabet, Chinese characters, and the Japanese phonetic alphabets Hiragana and Katakana.
   Otherwise her academic skills are, not poor, but unimpressive.  She did well in high school, and is studied in culture, religion, and philosophy, but hasn’t’ been to college and has spent more time skating and watching anime than reading.
Supernatural:
   As an Awakened Miko (shrine maiden) Kumiko is able to sense and speak with spirits.  The last three abilities require either prayer strips or some other form of writing.
   She is also a limited mentalist, able to awaken her own mind to great mental feats through martial arts or mediation, and, through concentration or martial arts focus, perceive and project, but not really influence, emotions.
   She has rudimentary mastery of raw energy, able to absorb extra power from holy ground, freeholds, etc, through mediation or a fire focus, and empower herself and her weapons with said raw energy to deal telling wounds to supernatural creatures.
   Her Arete, though, has always been in the manipulation of Time.  She hasn’t needed to wear a watch since junior high.  Through mediation with fire or water, she can peer back into time, or receive visions of possible futures.
   Through martial arts maneuvers and the expenditure of a little extra energy, her chronomancy becomes devastating.  She can accelerate to fight multiple opponents through multiple actions, or invest a single dodge or strike with devastating speed and power.
   Kumiko wears a kimono that is tied to the spirit of an ancient cherry tree.  This kimono is sewn by her grandmother from True Silk. It is, in and of itself, completely invulnerable.  This offers its wearer limited protection from physical harm, particularly piercing and slashing weapons, but little from blunt trauma.  The spirit of the cherry tree will absorb her wounds into the much more durable body of the tree over a period of hours, giving Kumiko a remarkable healing factor compared to mortals, albeit nothing on vampires or werewolves. As a final gift, it’s flared sleeves offer a small quantity of “storage space” by storing a few dozen items such as stakes, daggers, a Zippo, a wallet, and calligraphy kits in the spirit world for ready accessibility.
   In the spring, the spirit of the tree becomes mischievously passionate to the point of light malice, and may play subtle poltergeist like pranks.
   Her skates and safety pads, like the kimono, are augmented and made invulnerable by her grandmother.

Paranormal Disadvantages:
   Kumiko’s power, along with her investment of imagination into anime, has a few drawbacks…
   Masks always initially fool her, and even the most obvious mask will require a tip off and concentrated act of will to recognize as such.
   The weather, leaves, flower petals, and ravens respond to her emotions in superficial but attention drawing ways.  The wind always catches her hair at just the right dramatically appropriate moment, which can make a positive impression, but also tends to stick in people’s minds.  She can sometimes be noticed by looking for ravens following her around.

Home on the go: 
   Kumiko owns a van armored and restored by her grandmother, the back of which has been converted into a small living area with a roll out futon, lap top desk, and mini refrigerator. 

Yandros

Player:  Yandros
Name:  Joseph Knaap
Nature: Mad Scientist
Demeanor:  Activist
Essence:  Primordial
Tradition:  Society of Ether

Occupation/Rank:  Currently working as an Assistant Professor at the local college (more details forthcoming when more is known about the world).  Joseph has taken it on himself to not just teach students, but also is leading up a few clubs around campus.  Of which, he is using them to try and help guide some promising students towards Awakening on their own.

Appearance:  Standing at average height, Joseph has a light build.  Clearly more studious than active, he is not sporting much in the terms of defined muscles.  Deep brown hair is cut into a short and business look, which when combined with his thin framed glasses, presents a fair traditional looking professor.  Often seen wearing shirt and tie, he really only takes the tie off when he is working within his shop.  Otherwise, business casual is very much the standard of dress. 

Background:  Born into a middle class family, Joseph was considered a prodigy at an early age.  Breezing through school, he was fast tracked into advance classes throughout his life.  Even skipping grades, he entered college at the age of 16.  While not the youngest to do so, he was certainly ahead of the curve by a few years.
Dual majoring in physics and chemistry, it was during his Master’s that he Awakened.  Late one night, while stuck in the basement of his college library, he just suddenly UNDERSTOOD.  The trick to the project he was working on wasn’t in the application, but the METHOD.  And by applying this new METHOD, he was able to advance his studies even further.
From there, he actually took a little time off.  School no longer completely enthralled him, but this new way of seeing the world.  Seeing that rather than seeking results, one should seek out the means of doing something.  This of course, drew the attention of fellow mages in the area.  One such mage, Loren Gola, took Joseph under her wing.  Sponsoring his entrance to the Society, she kept a fairly hands off approach to his mentorship.  Simply providing resources and a little guidance here and there.  In time, Jospeh published a theory in Paradigma, which granted Joseph the rank of Scholar (Arete 3).

Abilities/Disabilities:  Joseph is not the most physical of individuals.  While he does try to eat right and take care of himself, that is about the extent of things.  On the other hand, his mind is as sharp as ever.  Keeping up with multiple disciplines of study, Joseph does not limit himself to just this world.  Instead, the METHOD does not allow for one to be limited in such a way.  And as such, Joseph wishes to explore new worlds, new realms and beyond even those.  Not terrible with a gun, he understands the need to protect himself.  So while he is a professor, Joseph does actually have a conceal and carry permit.  (Not that he would carry on campus!  He keeps it in his car.) 
The other bad habit that he has picked up, is an addiction to smoking.  Between talking with other members of the Society over cigars and a drink…  To just that cigarette break and cold coffee in the middle of the night to take a break from a project.  Joseph always has at least a pack on him, though he keeps saying he is going to quit.  He’s heard great things about patches, but is concerned about some of the conspiracy theories surrounding them.

Paranormal Disadvantages:  During Joseph’s first trip to the Umbra, the door he constructed was not 100% properly attuned.  So while he managed to step through it, there was a…glitch.  Nothing went wrong in his first foray into the other realm, but upon coming back?  He found that his shadow was not quite as it used to be.  Now a half second behind, it has drawn some strange looks here and there.  But really, it must be just a trick of the light.

Home:  Currently Jopseph lives in a small townhouse, perhaps twenty minutes or so away from campus.  The drive depends upon traffic, of course.  But he doesn’t really mind.  The time on the road is wonderful to think, dream of new things, and just go through the METHOD as it applies to life.  Where as most people only ever see the first and second floor of the townhouse (perhaps 1000 square feet), there is a small basement.  Hidden behind a bookshelf, the door to his small (300ish square feet) basement holds his workshop.  Tied to the Umbra as well, a small line of Aether runs through his workshop.  (Node 1, at most)

Paradigm:The METHOD.  The METHOD combines concepts from both A Mechanistic Cosmos and Tech Holds All Answers.  The METHOD is a means of observing the world through a new and novel lens, to see that the outcome of actions is far less important than the means through which the actions are done.  If one wants to warm up, one must first decide if lighting a fire is the proper means.  It could be that the action one takes, will only lead to an outcome that is not desired.  Or inaction may lead to such.  So one must first step back and examine the steps, otherwise it could lead to far more drastic outcomes than expected.
Paradox occurs in ripples, it is dissonance.  An unwanted, or over exaggerated outcome.  It manifests in quirks in the machine, the breaking down of systems, and ultimate?  Damage to the user of the METHOD.

Avatar:  Joseph’s Avatar is a strong one. (Not sure on rating yet, but 4-5?)  It has not revealed its true nature to Joseph yet, but it is a force that seeks to propel him onwards and forward.  Never stopping, never allowing Joseph to be sedate or stop in his studies, this Avatar has a distinct goal in mind.  However, Joseph just has not figured it out yet.
Out of character, I am thinking his Avatar is something like Icarus.  It wants Joseph to fly higher, further, faster, etc etc.  I chose Primordial, cause I love the idea of some ancient God/Goddess/Being/etc pushing Joseph forward.

If you have any questions, please feel free!  Sorry that it took me a few days to get this posted, but it was a long weekend.

RSGAlex

Well, it looks like a pair of interesting starts I got so far.

Please wait warmly.

Muse

The most awesome sessha found me a picture.  Then the most awesome Black Box changed the kimono and hair color for me.  (We'll see about making the tiara visible tomorrow.) 

Is it too soon to stat these girls? :)

RSGAlex

I don't feel it's too early. And since you took the first napkin, Muse, I'll go with some fictional Santa Barbra as the setting. Its earth-y-ness may be a bit in question, though.

Please wait warmly.

Yandros

I will work on stats, and looking into Santa Barbra!

Muse

Quote from: RSGAlex on May 15, 2020, 10:50:33 PM
I don't feel it's too early. And since you took the first napkin, Muse, I'll go with some fictional Santa Barbra as the setting. Its earth-y-ness may be a bit in question, though.

Oh, erm...   

We can if you want?  When i was planning how i would pay for her backgrounds, i figured she would have traveled and thus wouldn't have to invest so many points in mentor and contacts and backup! 

Muse

Maybe if--instead of individual backgrounds--i treat it all as chantry membership... 

Yandros

So, I am sorry to have to do this, but life has thrown me a bit of a curve ball recently.  And my time/energy is just not going to be present for a while, which leads to me having to bow out.  Going to be taking a bit of a break from the site overall.

Thank you so much for the offer to run, and it was looking to be an interesting game!  At least from the characters presented.  But, I'm just not going to be able to go forward with it.  Best of luck you both!