Monster Hunter's Academy (RWBY Inspired, System- see post)

Started by ShadowFox89, October 14, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

I'm just glad to be getting the amount of interest for this game that we have.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Latooni Subota on October 30, 2013, 12:17:37 PM
It would totally be a Travis Touchdown-esque lightsaber!

But... I can't stab people with that... :-(

ShadowFox89

And here's a picture of Professor Zeus, to help :P

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Avalon29

Shadow, is it okay if I edit Kell  so that he's full buy-in and can  take the assassin track?

ShadowFox89

Sure, that's fine. Nothing is set in stone until the game actually starts (which probably won't be for a bit).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MjhX

I'm interested.  I currently have a human rogue set up for this (Esoterica Radica/Acrobatic Adept/Dervish/Path of Destruction), although I don't have his fluff or backstory yet.  I might end up with another character later on, though.

TheHangedOne

I think I'm gonna take a crack at this.

Edit. here's my sheet. I think it's fine, but, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the system.

CS

Concept: Trophy Maker/Seeker of Knowledge
Class: Multi-class Monk
Race: Human

STR 12
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 16
CHA 10

BAB: +1
Saves:
Fort (good): 4 (2 base, +2 from con)
Will (good): 5 (2 base, +3 from wis)
Reflex (bad): 2 (0 base, -1 from armor, +3 from int)
KOM: +3
KDM: +2
AC: 16 (2 kdm, 2 bab, 2 heavy armor)
HP: 30 (20 beginning, +8/level, +2 con bonus)

SKILLS:

Physical
Acrobatics: 0 (0 base)
*Athletics: 2 (1 base from strength, 1 trained)
Larceny: 0 (0 base)
Ride: 0 (0 base)

Knowledge:
Arcana: 2 (2 base)
Engineering: 2 (2 base)
*Geography: 2 (2 base)
*History: 3 (2 base, 1 trained)
*Medicine: 4 (2 base, 1 racial bonus, 1 trained)
*Nature: 3 (2 base, 1 trained)

Interaction:
Bluff: 0 (0 base)
Diplomacy: 0 (0 base)
Intimidate: 0 (0 base)
*Perception: 4 (3 base, 1 trained)

RACIAL:
+1 (+1/8th levels) racial bonus to any one skill
+1 racial bonus to attack rolls

TRACKS:
Discipline of the Serpent (Fast)
1st Circle – Unarmed Strike (EX): Monks learn to turn their bodies into lethal weapons, striking at vulnerable spots on their enemies’ bodies. You may choose any three Melee weapon properties for your unarmed strike (see Chapter XI), and may change them with five minutes of meditation every morning. In addition, you can add 1d8 [Precision] damage for every Discipline of the Serpent circle you have beyond 1st to your unarmed strikes, to a maximum of 6d8 [Precision] damage when you gain the Thousand Sudden Cuts ability. You may only apply one source of [Precision] damage to any attack.

Discipline of the Dragon (Medium)
1st Circle – Stance of the Falling Star (EX): When knocked down, you are quick to get up for another exchange of punches and kicks. When [Prone], you can stand up as a swift action instead of a move action.

Path of the Ancestors (Slow)

FEATS:
The Earth Cracks
True Names

ITEMS:
Unarmed Strikes (Brutal, Magnum, Reach)
Grimm Armor (Heavy)
Cloak of the Endless Journey

History and other stuff will be tinkered with throughout the day.

Appearance

Height: 5'10
Weight: 220 lbs
Build: Wiry
Hair: Black
Eyes: Gray
On most days, Raz wears his school uniform without any sort of adornment. When on his own, though, he prefers a loose fitting button up shirt--black with red accents-- that does not inhibit his liberty of movement, black pants that similarly do not inhibit movements, and soft-soled black shoes. He will also wear his Cloak, which is additionally lined with Ursa Fur,  when going into battle, on extended trips, or when the weather makes such a choice practical.

When he knows he's heading directly into battle, he opts out of the typical clothing, and instead dons a suit of armor of his own design. Aptly named, the Grimm Armor is made from leather (tanned Grimm hides), furs, feathers, and many bones--including a menacing, large Beowulf skull helmet-- worked into the design. it's a grisly suit of armor, meant to inspire dread and make its owner appear more beast than man, while also providing a great deal of protection.

Bio

Razboinic Intelept, who most commonly goes by the nickname "Raz" due to the complexity of his name, comes from a family of Hunters. As was tradition, he attended regular school, then a combat school when he was old enough. In addition to keeping the family tradition alive and well, Raz views himself as something of a novice scholar. He likes to study the world, its inhabitants, its flora and fauna; he hopes that one day, he might be able to understand it all, and he hopes to use that knowledge, to ultimately better mankind.

He does not support the racism shown towards Blooded, and has frequently gone out of his way to defend them; often times distancing himself from friends, or making him a bit of a pariah. Raz has a very deep seated and well developed morality and philosophy towards life, which guides him in all his actions. Part of this is that he is a very meritocratic person; it doesn't matter who you are, what you are, where you're from... if you are good at something, you deserve the praise and recognition that is due (not more and not less), and if you are not, then it shouldn't be held against you; merely acknowledged as a weak point. After all, how can one cleanse themselves of weakness if they can not acknowledge the existence of weakness?

He can be hard on others, which has done him no favors in developing friends; but he is also incredibly hard on himself, holding himself to a standard, an ideal, that at times, not even he can attain. But one day, he hopes, he will be able to reach his own state of near-perfection.

Hard limits: Mutilation/Gore, vore, scat/watersports. Those are absolute no-no's. Just about anything else is up for discussion, however.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

MjhX

Here's what I have so far:
Dave Character Sheet Summary

Name: David "Dave" Edge.
Race: Human (+1 ATK, racial skill Acrobatics).
Ability Scores: Dex is as high as possible, then Con, then Wis, then Str.  Int and Cha will be left at 10.
Base Class: Rogue (100% BAB, good Will save).
Tracks: Esoterica Radica (Acrobatics/Vigor), Dervish, Acrobatic Adept, Path of Destruction.
KOM: Dex.
KDM: Con.
1st-level Feats: Breakneck Pace, Musketeer.
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Larceny, Vigor, Perception.  Once the biography is decided on, I will also pick one Knowledge skill to reflect it.
Equipment: Light Armor.  He'll have either Twin Semiautomatic Pistols (Ranged, Quick-draw/Hold-out/Scything) or a Hand Cannon (Ranged, Quick-draw/Brutal 1/Guardian).  I'm also not sure whether to have him use a Longsword (Melee, Quick-draw/Brutal 1/Guardian) or unarmed attacks with Path of Destruction for the first few levels.
As for the backstory...I still need to figure that out.  I'm currently considering a "sole survivor" origin of some kind, but I need to figure out which event he survived...not to mention how the heck he got his current set of weapons.

ShadowFox89

I think I'm going to start asking that everyone start to get their backgrounds together. What I'm going to be looking for is a diverse group that will provide an interesting dynamic. I'll probably take up to five players.

Also, please include hard limits (things you absolutely do not want to happen to your character).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheHangedOne

Shadow, could you look back at my character sheet and tell me if I got the numbers and everything right? Got everything else there, too, I'd like to know if there's anything else I need to do or change or what have you.
Check out my poet tree!

ShadowFox89

One thing I'd like to ask is a breakdown of numbers, insofar as ability scores, hitpoints, AC, and skills are concerned. It makes it easier to tell where there might be a mistake.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheHangedOne

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 09, 2013, 10:30:51 PM
One thing I'd like to ask is a breakdown of numbers, insofar as ability scores, hitpoints, AC, and skills are concerned. It makes it easier to tell where there might be a mistake.
Well, it's been a while since I made the sheet, and I didn't make those notes, so I'm going off of memory here.

STR 12
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 14 (+2 from levels)
WIS 16
CHA 10

Other than that, I'm honestly not sure how to calculate numbers for anything else. I checked through the pdf while making the sheet, and just browsed through it again. What page should I be looking at?
Check out my poet tree!

ShadowFox89

Gameplay Basics should have most of it.

KDM and KOM are each keyed to a separate ability, a monk has Wisdom for Key Offensive Modifier and Constitution for Key Defensive Modifier. KDM is added with BaB and any other bonuses, +10, to get your AC. Scores are calculated as usual for games (str or con for fort, int or dex for reflex, wis or cha for will).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheHangedOne

Ahh,  that was my mistake. Glossing over basics. So, I have this:

BAB: +2
Saves:
Fort (good): 5 (3 base, +2 from con)
Will (good):6 (3 base, +3 from wis)
Reflex (bad): 3(1 base, -1 from armor, +3 from int)
KOM: +3
KDM: +2
AC: 16 (2 kdm, 2 bab, 2 heavy armor)
HP: 40 (20 beginning, +8/level, +2 con bonus)
Check out my poet tree!

Cessali

So, query: are we starting at level 1, or level 2?  I've seen two different answers in the thread.

(Also now that we have other people I should probably decide which of the two ideas I prefer, huh...)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Avalon29

Here's the number break down after changing Kell to level 1.

Attack roll modifier: 5 (1 BAP + 4 KOM)
HP: 20 ((8 base + 2 KDM) * 2)
AC: 14 (10 + 1 BAP + 2 KDM + 1 armor)

Saving throws:
Reflex: 7 (3 base + 4 DEX modifier)
Fort: 2 (1 base + 1 STR modifier)
Will: 5 ( 3 base + 2 CHA modifier)

BAP: 1
KOM: 4
KDM: 2
TAM: 2

Ability modifiers:
STR: 1
DEX: 4
CON: 0
INT: 2
WIS: 0
CHA: 2

Skills:

Physical
Acrobatics:7 (1 trained + 4 DEX modifier + 2 master scout)
Athletics: 3 ( +1 STR modifier + 2 master scout)
Larceny: 6 ( 1 trained + 4 DEX modifier + 1 racial modifier)
Ride: 4 (Dex modifier)
Stealth: 5 (1 trained + 4 DEX modifier)
Vigor: 0

Knowledge:
Arcana (INT): 3 ( 1 trained + 2 INT modifier)
Engineering: 2 (2 INT modifier)
Geography: 2 (2 INT modifier)
History: 2 (2 INT modifier)
Medicine: 3 ( 1 trained + 2 INT modifier)
Nature:12 (2 INT modifier + 10 playing it right)

Interaction:
Bluff:3 (1 trained + 2 CHA modifier)
Diplomacy:12 (2 CHA modifier + 10 playing it right)
Intimidate: 2 ( 2 CHA modifier)
Perception: 0

Cessali

Making decisions is hard!  I've revamped both Rylan the Srs Bsnss Paladin and Tyana the Curious-Timid Tactician back on my first post on Page 2, but they both still seem like fun characters and they'd both fit a thematic niche I amn't yet seeing in the group as a whole.

I may just end up flipping a coin if I can't decide between them at a deadline.

alextaylor

You could just wait and see which character fits the group better... once we start seeing the backgrounds of the other characters.
O/O

TheHangedOne

Editing done. Just gotta get skill numbers and weapon numbers up.

Skills up. I think. Can someone double check my work?
Check out my poet tree!

Cessali

But that would be the sensible thing to do!

...which was actually plan A, but mumbling about choices and alternatives is sometimes more entertaining than otherwise.

Avalon29

I edited the post with Kell's character sheet and expanded on his background. I'll find a picture for him or write up a description for him next.

Ghostwheel

Inbal Pyrali

Race: Human (Flavorfully!! :P)

A branch of the illustrious and well-known Schnee family, the Pyrali's have always been subservient to the wishes of the the Schnees. Often acting as frontline enforcers and pushers in ancient times, they evolved into more operative agents who do the wetwork operations that the head family would rather not touch. From a young age, Inbal was taught to follow the head family's every request without any sort of backtalk or place to argue, and due to this and her authoritative parents she grew up as a meek girl who was often bullied during family functions, and preferred to stay in-doors and be by herself. One would think that this antisocial attitude would make her untrustworthy and unlikable, but there's something about her that opens people up to her, and often she hears more than she wants when trying to be simply pleasant and no more.

Whereas most of the Schnee family are sent to Beacon Academy, many in the Pyrali family are sent to the slightly less well-known Blitz Academy to learn how to be good operatives and how to fight. Inbal is no exception to this, and despite not wanting to go as she was sure to know no-one there and was afraid of the unknown that comes with going to live in a new place, was forced to go by her parents. When forced to fight, Inbal uses a small sheathed sword made for stabbing and cutting attached to an apparatus on her wrist interspersed with unarmed attacks, often throwing in a kick or two into the mix. Like the Schnee family, she bears the same white hair, but her eyes mark her as Pyrali, yellow where the head family's are blue.

ShadowFox89

Ghost, this isn't set in the same world as RWBY :P

There's no beacon academy and no Schnee family.
Call me Shadow
My A/A