News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaclyn

  Yay Taffy!, looking all Welsh and cute!

  So fellow magicians, once you’re done ogling Taffy, I’ve been doing some more experimenting. What do you see different about this post than my previous? Because something fundamental has changed. Maybe award girl Steffy will hand out a Most Observant award to whoever detects the difference. Here, I need a bunch of extra text to maybe help you all see it.

  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis ac elit in velit sagittis aliquet. Etiam sodales tincidunt odio, ac posuere augue. Fusce id egestas nibh. Ut tincidunt quam eu arcu porta, vitae mattis augue euismod. Maecenas hendrerit tellus id posuere vestibulum. Nam eget neque et lacus egestas pharetra eu in velit. Suspendisse venenatis velit eu lacus tincidunt vulputate. Duis ipsum ligula, ullamcorper eget volutpat eget, accumsan et purus. Aenean pharetra sed dolor sit amet faucibus.

  Suspendisse pellentesque dictum tincidunt. Sed ligula sapien, vehicula a lectus non, ornare viverra ligula. Integer at risus lacus. Ut vulputate, leo in vestibulum dictum, urna quam semper mi, quis ultrices turpis odio non massa. Praesent efficitur massa semper felis congue tincidunt. Phasellus pulvinar urna magna. Curabitur sagittis erat bibendum vulputate tristique. Etiam pellentesque neque at enim auctor vulputate. Duis nulla lorem, malesuada nec quam sit amet, euismod efficitur diam. Ut quis ipsum dolor. Pellentesque placerat, est non semper accumsan, diam elit lacinia ante, ut rhoncus leo odio nec justo.

  Ut tincidunt neque at sodales fermentum. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec iaculis dui mi, eu aliquet arcu feugiat a. Aliquam ut dui et nulla hendrerit pellentesque. Donec consectetur mi ac dignissim ultricies. Mauris a diam eu nisi cursus euismod. Praesent semper lorem eu lorem laoreet tristique. Morbi eget malesuada velit.

Al Terego

No padding on the image?

And for your sake, I really hope that you meticulously drew a protective pentagram around yourself before you began that chant.

Jaclyn

  Half a cookie to the cute kide who ogles, well, Taffy can read what Al ogles for herself.
  Why only half, you may ask? Because while yes there’s no padding for the image, the text still isn’t all munged up against it. Not quite two magic tricks, but still …

  And yes Al, all pentangles were very carefully salted. Blessed Be!

Courtney

Quite simply, you only put your formatting tags at the very beginning, and at the very end, rather than doing it for every paragraph like we used to have to do at Lacy. Nicely done!

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy

A LEARNING MOMENT

As I’ve said before, we don't want to be complacent about learning moments.  Jaclyn, half a cookie is miserly.  We all know this.  Perhaps a full cookie for Al.  But a full cookie jar if he had solved the whole thing.  I fear that a half cookie may lead to a tantrum.  A whole cookie, a smile.  We definitely don’t want to find ourselves in some play about or even be called (dramatic pause):

Nice teachers get apples eventually right?  (Wink).

And now we have to locate a full cookie jar for Courtney.  (Insider question: Emma's cookies or something else clever Courtney?)

Jaclyn

  Well that too, but that has features and drawbacks. Still missing it. Al was closer. Half a cookie to the cute kid who steals stuff here and republishes it for the world.
  And dear Courtney, what you have done to share our successful experiments is drawing rave reviews and we all thank you!

  The magic is with the Avatar, as Al half way recognized.

Jaclyn

  Apple? Last one I got required a frog prince to break the spell!

Courtney

New:

[float=left][center][img width=150 padding=20]http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/55a8/embgyje91cc7mehzg.jpg[/img][br][font=Georgia][color=#B163A3][size=12pt][b]Jaclyn Rosendahl[/b][/size][br][size=10pt]Entrepreneur[br][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=289408.msg14241614#msg14241614][i]About Jaclyn[/i][br]  ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾  [/url][/size][/color][/font][/center][/float][font=Georgia][size=12pt]

Old:
[float=left][center][img width=150]http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/55a8/embgyje91cc7mehzg.jpg[/img][br][font=Georgia][color=#B163A3][size=12pt][b]Jaclyn Rosendahl[/b][/size][br][size=10pt]Entrepreneur[br][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=289408.msg14241614#msg14241614][i]About Jaclyn[/i][br]‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾[/url][/size][/color][/font][/center][/float][br]

Heee heeee.... Are those "M" spaces I see instead of padding?

Al Terego

Quote from: Jaclyn on September 05, 2018, 04:54:42 PM
Half a cookie to the cute kide who ogles, well, Taffy can read what Al ogles for herself.
Why only half, you may ask? Because while yes there’s no padding for the image, the text still isn’t all munged up against it. Not quite two magic tricks, but still …

Oh, that.

As the [float=right] or [float=left] tags are not constrained to images, and if you have text inside the tags (which you did, just below the image), the width will adjust to contain it without wrapping.  So if you add spaces around the centered text (which you also did, thus: "  ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾  "), they will serve as a buffer.

*GLOMP*

Now gimme something to ogle the other half of that cookie!

Edit: Ninja'd by Courtney, cookie surrendered.

Jaclyn

  Oh yeah! Steffy, a whole cookie and an apple too to the cute girl who saw the em spaces.

  What she speaks to is that I and perhaps others have been using image padding to keep text from bumping up against images. Please notice though the other tiny little thing. There’s no empty line following the image, just the “Jacklyn Rosendahl …” text. The padding (I was using padding=20) created unnecessary space below the image, so removing the padding allows the text below to come up close to the bottom of the image.. What was done here to keep the post from getting too close to the image is to add em spaces “ “ to the overstrikes “‾” used at the bottom of the character images/text. Subtle, I know, yet elegant, I’ll so assert. Here’s the code annotated so folks can use it.

[float=left][center][img width=150]<the image URL. I chose to limit mine to 150 pixels high but your mileage may vary. Note NO padding!>[/img][br]<a break followed by the character information. Use ‘[br] as needed>[br]  ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾  <ending with a bunch of overstrikes preceded and followed by em spaces. note too that I center the whole mess.>[/center][/float]

  Yep, Courtney the Ninja! Sorry Al. Half a cookie beats no cookie at all. Drink your milk and smile! But I award you one black pixel “” that you can make as wide or as tall or both as you choose.

Courtney

Quote from: Steffy on September 05, 2018, 05:39:00 PM
And now we have to locate a full cookie jar for Courtney.  (Insider question: Emma's cookies or something else clever Courtney?)[/size][/font][/center]

Hmm,  with all this talk of "M" and "Em" spaces, I have this weird craving for M&M cookies. Damn you wizards and you're devious subliminal programming!!" *pout*

Al Terego

Steffy

NSDB Steffy

THE BUMP AWARD

Al, yes you have effectively bumped the thread to the top and thus the Bump Award to you!

In coming up with this magnificent prize I was looking for ‘bumps’ that might capture the idea.  You should be eternally grateful to me that I did not burden you with a female bump.

NOW as for where is the magic?  Courtney has been encouraged to show off a little thing she did to illustrate a ‘badge’ for a story.  We need to find some catnip for Kit Kat to hopefully get her back to E and the shop (not so well).  Plus, our friend Taffy could ask for help in creating a nifty signature to illustrate how clever all magicians are. 

So Magic has been at rest, but it has been bumped.  Ya?

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on September 28, 2018, 04:28:34 PM
You should be eternally grateful to me that I did not burden you with a female bump.

Bloody tease...

Steffy

BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MAGIC SHOP

Monica
 Steffy’s unappreciated baker

Monica – Baker and Temptress 
This is getting complicated.  Sure!  Cookies are a max reward.  Then Jaclyn starts begrudging cookies.  No one asks about the kitchen.  More cookies, then half rewards are 6 cookies, not a cut one.  And ‘maybe’ cakes with candles (A Courtney reward for over 600 views of her Magic book).  But no one asks what time I have to get up to start baking. 

Rewards?  That means baking and more baking unless I can fool Steffy into making picture rewards.  That would be magical. 

Maybe I can get an election set, with a rigged vote, mostly picture rewards, cookies with 24 hour minimum notice.  Al is good at fixing elections. “Al, could you come into the kitchen?  I need to ‘confer’ with a noted, skilled, connoisseur of finer things.”  (Lick finger seductively for Al).

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on September 29, 2018, 10:03:26 AM
Maybe I can get an election set, with a rigged vote, mostly picture rewards, cookies with 24 hour minimum notice.  Al is good at fixing elections.

Al does not like fixing elections, and plefels to dilect such lequests to othel membels.

Courtney

By request! After much delay and fanfare! I present fake ID's as seen here! First, here's what the picture I used looked like to start:

Now, for the magic that is: the Google Play Store. Everything I do on here is either from my phone or my tablet, and as such I take advantage of the store. A nifty little app I found was something called: Fake ID Generator. It's a pretty basic app, easy to use, and comes with base templates to use. Now, it's not very robust, and customization is a bit limited, but it's perfect for my needs here.

For those who'd rather just see the result, rather than clicking the above link, here is the end result:

Steffy

You done good!  More power to you!

THANK YOU!!!!!!  & MORE IDEAS!!!!

What’s that mean?  You done good?  (Very Cute Blonde saying such things). 
Who is ‘you’?  It’s you! Who are the most recent ‘you’? 
There’s Al.  There’s Jaclyn.  There’s Courtney.  (And where has Flower gotten off to?).  Visitors too!

Sooooo  . . . what am I thinking? 

THERE CAN BE FUTURE ‘YOU’ TOO!  Note the artful rhyme!  (Shop cat, we want you roaming here!). 
Besides that wistful aside, I can offer a Seuss booby trap (a not so wistful aside, but a keen insight is that certain booby traps are known tempters to known contributors—Al). 

BOOBY TRAP

Q Who might be good candidates to ‘rescue’?

Sooo what I’m thinking with the ever so clever illustration of the Seuss booby trap is that we might think of others who might benefit with some magic.  (That's the person sitting there on the trap).  We (you) bring them to the shop (or suggest they come).  For what purpose you ask.  Well, perhaps creating a cool signature line (like that done for moi) or some other things.  Maybe a question and answer thing.  What would you like?  And then they get their request granted with some instruction.

I’m thinking the question and the answer is another way of offering magical instruct.  A magical idea suggested before, but not used much so far.

Soooo I’d say imagine who might be sitting on the booby trap (that’s someone you think might want some assistance; a word of caution to Al—don’t just snatch the girl unless you are super quick—watch out for the hammer!).  An artistic need is identified, alternatives are proposed and illustrated.  Pretty cool, huh?

I mean in addition to our normal modus operandi.  Wandering-in-folk are always welcome. 

OKAY!  So if you like, you have an assignment: solicit someone (guinea pig concept) or solicit someone for magic talent display, magician recruiting. 

Now, let’s see.  Another thing.  It does not hurt to just say thank you. 

This time I’ve asked friends to do the honors.  (Yes, I spend time with celebrities—they pester me if I don’t.  They are very good at such things.  Emoting.  Not so good on names—so it’s an everyone thank you).  Nice going everyone—those who have offered magic and those who have come around.  Keep at it!

PS.  The casual reader may not realize how careful one has to be on doling out appreciation.  Just take a look: While this person looks exactly like Courtney and although Courtney has been complimented so much about her Magic Book and her latest Google snazzle, it is NOT Courtney.  It’s someone else (maybe).

Unidentified emotional person receiving thanks

Al Terego

Who dared summon me by invoking my name?!
Speak now or... speak later?

Anyway, since I am here, a little magic trick for your amusement, prompted by a PM from elfowl.

We are all familiar with the [sub] and [sup] tags -- a [sub] tag reduces the size of the text and lowers it, while a [sup] tag likewise reduces the size but raises the text instead.  However, many people are aware that they can be stacked to magnify the effect.

For example, let's try something super:

TEXT[sup]sup1[/sup]TEXT
TEXT[sup][sup]sup2[/sup][/sup]TEXT
TEXT[sup][sup][sup]sup3[/sup][/sup][/sup]TEXT
TEXT[sup][sup][sup][sup]sup4[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]TEXT

And the result:

TEXTsup1TEXT
TEXTsup2TEXT
TEXTsup3TEXT
TEXTsup4TEXT

Alternatively, for the submissives among us:

TEXT[sub]sub[/sub]TEXT
TEXT[sub][sub]sub2[/sub][/sub]TEXT
TEXT[sub][sub][sub]sub3[/sub][/sub][/sub]TEXT
TEXT[sub][sub][sub][sub]sub4[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]TEXT

Resulting in:

TEXTsubTEXT
TEXTsub2TEXT
TEXTsub3TEXT
TEXTsub4TEXT

And finally, for those that cannot make up their minds:

TEXT[sup][sub]middle2[/sub][/sup]TEXT
TEXT[sub][sup][sub][sup]middle4[/sup][/sub][/sup][/sub]TEXT

Which centers the text nicely:

TEXTmiddle2TEXT
TEXTmiddle4TEXT

Cheers,
-- Al

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy

LEARNING MOMENTS

As I’ve said before (see a few posts above for example), we don't want to be complacent about learning moments.  One lesson we can learn is the benefits of a polite thank-you.  We now see that a thank-you has been followed by some elevating magic (yes, thank you Al!)—see how that works everyone?  Thank-you begets helpful stuff.

PLUS Al inadvertently revealed elfowl as being someone who might be a good candidate for an invite to the shop.  PLUS Al has revealed himself to be a secret agent—getting a PM, working in the back alleys (not the shop) and giving advice of a magical nature.

Al, for anticipating my post, pre-post ‘finding’ and helping others (sure they contacted you, but still), and for doing it spy-like I award thee:

Nifty Spy Guy w ESP Award

Steffy

Girl w Assets – i.e. Brains

Maybe Magician Al will consider an apprenticeship if this works. 
What I did is *sup x6 then *sub x6 to see if I could get pictures in a line that created a bit of a ‘wave’. 
In other words, pictures then the coding Al used.  I used pics from past posts.  Here it is:

CONCLUSION: It works for images as well, but you have to really 'soup' up the number of code entries.  And maybe not so useful.  (Sigh).

Al Terego

This is something for those who prefer not to show their gender:

Courtney

Being a Liege myself, I decided I should check mine. All good on my end. Still, for being a defender of a galaxy of genders, and at the risk of drawing the ire of Steffy who normally hands out awards, I award thee the:

Guardian of the Galaxy of Genders Award

Good looking out for your fellow players!

Jaclyn

The diagram is nice to show others how to change the gender icon in their profile, but Legates/Centurion are still free to display them if they so wish.

Al Terego

Thank you Courtney and Jaclyn!