You're How Old?

Started by Star Safyre, October 16, 2010, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolvenrogue

Who of you know who Spiro T. Agnew was? I was in college when he resigned the vice presidency.
I was 8 when JFK was murdered.  I watched Walter Cronkite report on it.
The first TV in our house had a round screen and nothing came on until noon. Until then you got the Indian head test pattern. There were  3 channels.  My families first car was built in the 50's (it was new). I remember when there were no soda cans, only bottles and they cost 10 cents in the vending machine. The deposit on the glass bottles was 2 cents.  Milk was delivered to the house in glass bottles by the milk man 3 times a week.

Now all of you can feel young!

Despite all this I still enjoy writing a great story with a bunch of young people.   Your only as old as you feel, and I feel great!

Wolvenrogue

Oniya

Quote from: wolvenrogue on June 26, 2012, 10:59:44 PM
Who of you know who Spiro T. Agnew was? I was in college when he resigned the vice presidency.

I snickered when I first heard the Tom Paxton/John Denver song about him.  I was alive when he was in office, but my sisters remember him a touch better.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mossberg

I'm old enough to remember when people were complaining about gasoline going up to a dollar a gallon.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

wolvenrogue

The first gas I put in my car cost 23.9 cents a gallon! lol only lasted a year or so before it went to 50 cents.

Cosmic Knight

I remember when car phones were an actual thing, before cellphones were as ubiquitous as they are now.  My grandfather had one; it had a cord, and a base, and plugged into the cigarette lighter for power.  The concept of a 'wireless telephone' just baffled me at the time.

I remember playing LORD on an actual dial-up BBS one of my classmates was running.

I remember watching the series premier of Star Trek: The Next Generation on cable.  Granted, not especially well, but I do remember it.

My first gaming system was the venerable Atari 2600.  I remember really hating ET (but then, who didn't?  That game was awful), but never saw anybody who was better at Pitfall Harry or Millipede than my mother.

Kuroneko

I'm watching The Long Riders.  I remember seeing it when it came out in the theatre.  I forgot how young Dennis Quaid was in this movie, lol.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Robelwell202

The day that JFK died...  Add nine years, exactly, and you'll have the day I was born...

Scary, huh?
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Argleblather

Rainbow Writer
A/A updated 3.31.2020. Discord: Argleblather#0643

Oniya

Quote from: Robelwell202 on June 28, 2012, 01:44:21 AM
The day that JFK died...  Add nine years, exactly, and you'll have the day I was born...

Scary, huh?

I was born 12 years after Barbie.  (So popular - but you have to buy her friends...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

Old enough to be uninterested in Bieber and Lindsy Lohan.

Psi

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 06, 2012, 06:17:30 AM
Old enough to be uninterested in Bieber and Lindsy Lohan.

That doesn't say much.... :p

Hmm..

I was born on a leap year
I was finishing my last year of Schooling (Pre University) when the 9/11 bombings took place.
I remember upgrading my first computer to 4 MB of Ram and a 40 MB HD.
I still remember using floppy discs, when they were actually floppy.
I didn't get a phone until I finished school.

Caitlin

Old enough to forget what I was doing before I opened this topic.

Really... What was I doing again...?  ???

Chartara

Let's see, the year I was born...

- the Chevrolet Vega and the Ford Pinto were introduced.
- Jimi Hendrix dies in London of drug related complications.
- The North Tower of the World Trade Center is topped out at 1,368 feet (417 m), making it the tallest building in the world.
- The first episode of US soap opera All My Children is broadcast on the ABC television network.

LordWedge

I'm old enough to...

• ...have flown on an airplane without any security checks at all.
  • ...have used dial-up and thought 56k was FAST.
  • ...have watched He-Man cartoons in a time when nobody knew he was gay.

TaintedAndDelish

I didn't realize that he-man was a little... er uhm.. homoerotic until later on in life xD

Old enough to have used a dime in a public phone booth.  ( that's a single dime...  )

lenka

Old enough to realize it's too loud to talk at night clubs  ::)

Autumn52

Old enough to know not to talk to strangers
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Xandria

Old enough to suffer from advanced C.R.A.F.T. disease...Can't Remember A Friggin Thing.  :P
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

Ephemera

I was still a newborn the day Jim Morrison and the Doors defied CBS censors on The Ed Sullivan Show, when Morrison sang the word "higher" from their #1 hit Light My Fire, despite having been asked not to.

When I was a year old, Mickey Mantle hit his final career home run.

In my fifth year, Bob Barker began a 35-year run as host of one of America's most popular game shows, as The New Price Is Right (later The Price is Right) was shown for the first time on CBS.

The year I turned ten, the first TRS-80 Model I computer sold.

Shortly after I turned 15, Cats opens on Broadway and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.

At age twenty, I gave birth to my first child and the first expedited salvaging of Titanic wreckage began by RMS Titanic, Inc.

The year I turned thirty, scientists in Scotland announced they succeeded in cloning an adult mammal, producing a lamb named "Dolly".

The year I turned forty-one, I stumbled upon the Elliquiy site.

I remember Lite Brite, couples' skate, Jaws and Grease at the Drive-In, Bo and Luke Duke, and the Royal Wedding of Charles and Diana.  My first LP album was "Shawn Cassidy, Under Wraps, owned a hundred mix-tapes if I owned one, and the day the Compact Disc was introduced, I skipped my afternoon high-school classes to go check them out.  I remember the 79 day 'New Coke / Old Coke / Coca-Cola Classic debacle that ended in a compromise.  If you remember, too...did you "Catch the Wave" or stick with the "Red, White and You?" 
“I bleed myself to be your drink:  Is not the blood of poets—ink?”   ―William Soutar
My Ink Blood Spilled | Who I Am | Where I Am (A/A) | Intro | Avi Source
My Poly/Kink/Random Blogs | My Drawer | My Concupiscence (O/O)
I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.” ~Nin  Working on: Ink Blood Spilled

Mordred

I fondly remember watching the 'Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Hour' on Saturday mornings. One morning as I sat on the couch in my jammies with a bowl of cereal, everything started shaking. Had a small earthquake. I thought it was cool. Yesssss.. the only time in my life I woke willingly early.. was to watch cartoons.
*See Pillory*

Caehlim

I'm so old,

* I wore parachute pants and thought that they were cool.
* I loved the backstreet boys.
* Listened to cassette tapes in my sony walkman.
* Watched smurfs on TV in the morning.
* Had to stand up and turn a dial to change the TV channel, until we got a remote control that connected to the TV via a cable.
* Started roleplaying with the old red box set for D&D.

Yes, I was a child of the 80s.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Chantal

I used to be in love with Modern Talking music...
"You're My Heart,You're My Soul" *taps feet rhythmically*

Rolo

I was born the year MLK was assasinated, coincidentally we share the same birthday.

Seduction is merely hypnosis with desire!

-KAI-

Dirty old man in training!
Sneaky Little Bastard!

Mr Bigglesworth

I was born the year JFK was assassinated.  I'm almost as old as dirt, not quite though.

jazz

I was born the year men landed on the moon (about six months before).  And Also feel about as old as dirt   :-\
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul. ~ Pablo Neruda