Interest Check - F.O.R.C.E. (Mutant/Kaiju/Supersoldiers)

Started by Rhynarion, August 20, 2014, 06:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhynarion

Foreign Organism Rampage Containment and Extermination, or F.O.R.C.E. is a game intended for a small group. The main roles will involve playing as the E.V.O. (Evolutionarily Volatile Organism) soldiers as they defend the world against Kaiju and Daikaiju who are making planetfall from orbital anomalies.

F.O.R.C.E. and the E.V.O. program were created in hope of avoiding a nuclear response to the invading threat, as civilian losses are intended to be minimized. As E.V.O. soldiers, players have the ability to rapidly evolve and alter their essential genetic code without the need for subsequent propogation - mutants in the base sense of the world. In practice this will allow players to assume a large mutant 'War' form, of similar size to what one might expect from a natural werewolf.

With a sufficient energy source the E.V.O. will also be able to temporarily drastically increase their body size and muscle mass in order to combat the Daikaiju on relatively equal footing - the Giganto forms are temporary and the E.V.O. operative will revert when the energy source has run out.

First generation E.V.O. soldiers do suffer from a complication that was originally unintended: they have advanced metabolisms and require the consumption of abnormal amounts of protein and carbohydrates to maintain their ability to shift into either form. All E.V.O. operatives have a healing factor on the basic level, but the brunt of their healing occurs during periods of extreme cellular reconstruction; namely, when they change forms.

The game will not feature heavy sexual elements, and I ask that non-con and extreme kinks be left out of the game. There will be a main thread that dictates the present mission protocol, and possibly side threads for players to interact on a more sandbox level.

A basic level of literacy, post sizes of around two or three well sized paragraphs, and a posting rate of once or twice a week are the minimum expectations for this game. I will be honest that this is my first attempt at GMing a group game, but this is simply an interest check explaining the premise of what I intend to create.

If enough interested is garnered, I will set up character sheets and basic rules. This is not expected to be a system-based or system heavy game at all. Interested parties should either post here with their interest in the game, or send me a moderately detailed PM outlining their remaining questions.

Juggtacular

Zeth

Rhynarion

I hadn't intended to use any premade systems, unless you have suggestions?

I've not come across any system that can be used for a game as ambitious as this one, but I'm open to hearing thoughts.

Zeth

Well you could use these game rules, but instead of robot say War Form and treat the rules the same. The mechanics would be unaffected.

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/gamba-robo

Granted these rules are meant for somewhat silly and over the top games like 1970s TV  shows. Might be better to use something else.

Icowom

More on principal than anthing else,weapons like This always kill my logic for macro on macro combat.

My rule of cool meter however says, F
uck yeah! Finally an RP like this.

Now I need to ask, will we be allowed to use extremely powerful (yet reasonably realistic) custom weapons designed for our macro forms? Or will the energy used to shift be also used to cause any gear we carry to also grow,,hence giving us typical/existing hand-held weapons a chancevto actually do damage?

Rhynarion

QuoteWell you could use these game rules, but instead of robot say War Form and treat the rules the same. The mechanics would be unaffected.

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/gamba-robo

Granted these rules are meant for somewhat silly and over the top games like 1970s TV  shows. Might be better to use something else.

I would actually prefer to avoid using a system-heavy or system-based game, unless there is unanimous desire for it to be system based.

QuoteMore on principal than anthing else,weapons like This always kill my logic for macro on macro combat.

My rule of cool meter however says, Fuck yeah! Finally an RP like this.

Now I need to ask, will we be allowed to use extremely powerful (yet reasonably realistic) custom weapons designed for our macro forms? Or will the energy used to shift be also used to cause any gear we carry to also grow,,hence giving us typical/existing hand-held weapons a chancevto actually do damage?

Technically, both and neither. It is unlikely that our War or Macro forms will need external gear, as we transform into highly adapted superpredators. While I believe I may have not communicated this well in the original post, EVO soldiers are essentially millions of years of evolution in hostile environments/with dangerous prey compressed into a single generation.

If you want to thus have your OC EVO's predator form have evolved a backmounted heavy artillery cannon that shoots acid/hot plasma? Go for it. All that -I- ask is that you keep range of motion realive to their body shape, weight, and weight distribution. As an example? One thing I know about the EVO I will be playing is that he will essentially have bio-electrical taser-tentacles (Complete with nematocyst barbs) growing out of his back.

The game is intended to have a gritty tone as we are truly humanities last hope against Seedfall, but the primary OOC point of the game is to have fun playing as (giant) monsters beating the shit out of other (giant) monsters. In an objective light, you might liken it to something akin to Bloody Roar and any of the Godzilla Monster Meleee games at different times. In universe, it will be more dark - expect the monsters to attempt to create as much civilian causalities and collateral damage as they can before being brought down. Ideally, the decisions of players will have an impact on the world around them.

Icowom

Huh, I didnt think we'd be actually growing weapons and the likes, going into very fantastical territory there.

Still, it does make it potentially more interesting/interactive if its a situational evolution thing, eventhough it may rely on players splurging their transformation scenes in each different location/situation.

Rhynarion

It was an extreme example, as there still needs to be a biological reason why your mutant form has the weapon - it is  a biological adaptation. While I would prefer to keep this to natural weapons, it is my understanding that this is somewhat of a Niche genre - I'm trying to avoid saying hard 'NOPE's until I have a better idea of what styles I am working with. (Aside from plain silly things for this game like monstergirls, rapetentaclemonsters, heavily sexualized/noncombative forms).

I will admit that when I made the example I had Tyrannids on the brain so... Forgive me there. That wasn't necessarily what I actually have in mind.

More to my person vision is biological adaptations like extra limbs, elastic flesh (Stretch punches anyone?), spines (both fixed and launching), acidic saliva, secondary jaws, breath weapons. Creativity is king here - if you want to play a six limbed, wall crawling, high jumping Kaiju with three heads and a whip tail tipped by a stinger? I can roll with that, so long as it looks like it could actually be an efficient predator.

On the topic of living mortar cannons, I should mention that the simulated environments during the initial cellular recombination are not necessarily earth like except in core atmosphere (we wouldn't been much use if we suffocated the moment we transformed). Given that there are Shrimp that can fire water at 100mph and 9900 degrees here on earth, I am perfectly willing to hear someones ideas before I put a veto stamp on it.

Homosapiens don't have any cool adaptations because we use tools. We're not a niche predator living in an extremely hostile environment and haven't been for quite a long time.

I'm trying to keep the realism:fun ratio relatively balanced. I may end up doing a light system with 'evolution points' that are used for any spontaneous adaptations to prevent people from simply immediately mutating to perfectly counter any new threat. I do know for sure that mutations that completely alter your original skeletal makeup and role/theme will be nonexistent or limited to between events.

Edit: This is a set of good examples of the myriad of biological adaptations simply found on our planet. Particularly the Bombardier Beetle and Pistol Shrimp are of note when considering just how close to fantastical actual animals can get.

Icowom

I always love it when GM's put auch lovely thought and details to their RP's :3

Alright! You got me convinced. So, do you have a basic sheet layout in mind? I have my own char concept already thought out

Zeth

So you are not using the system I suggested? I must admit RPG rules for Kaiju are pretty hard to find. That aside I'd like to play some sort of crab E.V.O. I promise not to shout 'Crab Battle" or "Olioliolioooo"while playing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A

Rhynarion

QuoteI always love it when GM's put auch lovely thought and details to their RP's :3

Alright! You got me convinced. So, do you have a basic sheet layout in mind? I have my own char concept already thought out

Your praise is very welcome though, as this is the first time I've tried letting people into my carefully constructed (and often very strange) sandboxes. (I go into this much painfully intricate detail in everything)

I do not have a  hard sheet worked out at present, as it's closing on 2am and before today/yesterday I had sadly resigned myself that the game wasn't going to get much traction. But with at least two people on board, I will attempt to have a working sheet created by tomorrow evening - monday at the very latest. Below is the key points I could figure out at this abysmal hour.

Vision: Means and effect (You can have as many or few eyes as necissary, and are not strictly limited to the human visible light spectrum. However, having view of the FULL electromagnetic spectum is pushing the limits)

Locomotion: Leg shape, number, carry weight, balance. Or essentially, how your things move. Again, you aren't limited to traditional locomotion. If you want to sling from webs, fly with wings, or shoot electrical tractor bolas... Spin it for me!

Sensory - You are allowed one -specific- sixth sense, and additional senses at the cost of one of the original five senses. Catch-all supersenses (Spiderman's 'Spidey-Sense') are not allowed - think more along the lines of a Sharks ability to sense electrical currents or a Snake's ability to feel seismic tremors by sliding around.

OR

Supersense - Have up to two senses adapted to the extreme or one that you can dial in to various severities (eyes that shift multiple spectrums or telescope are one example of this). Keep in mind that the double supersense gives benefits and drawbacks related to having such keen awareness.

Weaponized Adaptations

(Note): Simply having limbs that can be used as bludgeons or crab like claws does not take up these slots. These are your fantastical special attacks/powers.

Example: I've decided that my GMPC will have a hybridization of the pistol shrimp and bombardier beetle in a giant claw form. Essentially, he can create sonic bursts with his claw while spraying napalm at the same time - Ultimately creating EXPLODING SHOTGUN CLAW OF DOOOOOOM. I am so proud of this idea

I had started to go into super big detail on this section, but actually I am going to have you guys PM me your basic concepts while I am making the sheet and I will go from there. The last thing I want to do is cut off you guys at the limbs while tailoring the slot count to my specific GMPC.

QuoteSo you are not using the system I suggested? I must admit RPG rules for Kaiju are pretty hard to find. That aside I'd like to play some sort of crab E.V.O. I promise not to shout 'Crab Battle" or "Olioliolioooo"while playing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A

Until I have time to go over the system with a fine toothed pen, I'm of the opinion that I can just Macgyver something together as we go due to the fact that there seems to be a <5 headcount. I've always felt that heavy systems put someones creativity in an Iron Maiden. Despite the delightful music we might put out as the first ever Kaiju-Rock band... I like to allow peoples minds to drift toward the fantastical as I find people get much more excited when they can spin their wild and crazy ideas.

I do of course have emergency tasers on hand if things get too crazy.

The crab video was delightfully entertaining, but it made me think of something - What sort of time period would you guys want to do this in?

Options (Feel free to vote these or suggest your own)

Modern (Real Life)

Future Modern(Next 100-200 years)

Cold War

I am almost certain that I rambled, but I hope you two (or more who might be lurking) can make sense of this.

Oh yeah, and there will be sheets for the humans too once we pick a setting.

Icowom

I like the idea of future modern, we dont have many limitations on the accuracy of the locations themselves,  and the advancement in tech can be nore forgivable. Yet at the same time,, we dont have to reinvent entire nations unless we wish so.

Zeth

Interdiction of words

Sign me up for your Idea since appeals to me greatly
cold or future
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Warlock

Putting up interest.

Future Modern seems to be good.

Rhynarion

A question for everyone. Would,you find it preferble if our Kaiju forms still possesed at least some human traits (perhaps to the point of vestogiality depending on the level and severity of mutation) or straight up turned into monsters?

I could see if both ways, though the way the game is spun implies that the core of the heavily mutated genome is at least originallh human in nature.

Icowom

I like the idea that it completely relies on the player, EVO's discretion. With cause an effect coming into play~

Want to be a giant monster girl with tits, go ahead! Enjoy the claws and acid burning away your 'naked' skin while you get stabbed through your skimpy armour plates.

Want to be a monster crab instead? No problem! Just mind the fact that you have no thumbs and would likely scare the bejesus oit of the people you're saving rather than the actual enemy hostiles (Not to mention more limbs to accidentally squish something)

Personally, I prefer a mix between the two

Warlock

Quote from: Rhynarion on August 24, 2014, 11:32:38 AM
A question for everyone. Would,you find it preferble if our Kaiju forms still possesed at least some human traits (perhaps to the point of vestogiality depending on the level and severity of mutation) or straight up turned into monsters?

I could see if both ways, though the way the game is spun implies that the core of the heavily mutated genome is at least originallh human in nature.

Personally I'm fine with anything on the spectrum of human->monster while my preferences would lie toward the monsterous.

Zeth

Everyone should be one or the other. Having a mix  later falls into bickering players. The question is, are we having freaky sex in monster mode or not? If freaky sex is ony in human mode then I say all monster in war form. If freaky sex is in war form mode then I say some humanity needs to remain or no one is going to want to shag you. We are on Elliquiy Rhynarion, so where does the freaky sex come in?

Icowom

Quote from: Zeth on August 24, 2014, 11:58:58 AM
Everyone should be one or the other. Having a mix  later falls into bickering players. The question is, are we having freaky sex in monster mode or not? If freaky sex is ony in human mode then I say all monster in war form. If freaky sex is in war form mode then I say some humanity needs to remain or no one is going to want to shag you. We are on Elliquiy Rhynarion, so where does the freaky sex come in?

*slow claps * Well played Zeth.. Well played.

That said, now I'm curious if 'freaky monster sex' is a thing, at least in RnR/ adventuring threads/ sections

Rhynarion

QuoteEveryone should be one or the other. Having a mix  later falls into bickering players. The question is, are we having freaky sex in monster mode or not? If freaky sex is ony in human mode then I say all monster in war form. If freaky sex is in war form mode then I say some humanity needs to remain or no one is going to want to shag you. We are on Elliquiy Rhynarion, so where does the freaky sex come in?

Freaky monster sex is only a maybe, really. The reason isn't that I want to say no about it, but rather the logistics of it - maintaining the ability to transform requires an extreme diet of both macro(fat, protein, carb) and micro nutrients. A deficiency in proper nutrition leads to an inability to change, and when coming back to our human states we will have an incredible case of the munchies (bordering on painful until you start processing enough food to make up the nutrients leeched to transform).

Sex can still happen in a base side thread if there is want, but it isn't the focus and the game will likely be played in Exotic Bondage. I have nothing against people who enjoy extreme kinks, but NC is a hard off for me due to personal reasons - you might call it a trigger. Given that playing in Extreme implies that NC is able to be involved, I've decided to put this in Bondage to avoid suddenly freaking myself out and killing the game.

As a general idea for everyone, War Forms range between nine and fifteen feet. Colossi forms are as of yet undecided. Enemy Kaiju will come in a variety of sizes, some smaller than our respective forms and others much larger but not large enough for it to be economically viable for us to go Colossi on them.

This is a game about beating the shit out of monsters, as monsters.

Now, the topic of humanoid mutants vs full on monsters has been the subject of many questions about the game, so I have decided that Kaiju forms should have some recognizable trait that makes it clear that our superpredators evolved from humans. While the level of this is open to interpretation(pending my approval), both Monstergirls and Unrecognizable Amalgamations are banned.

This is a good representation of just how freaky you can get. You can get even freakier, but I actually suggest being vestegially human-oid as the most terrifying things mix the familiar and the utterly alien. Civilians should be able to tell us from our much freakier opponents without needing to watch CNN.

Centaurian giant crab monsters are perfectly fine, and I challenge people to warp the head shape of a human into what the ultimately wish to become.

I wanted to provide more picture references, but google is absolutely not helpful today.

I love letting people run with their creativity, but there does need to be an acceptable standard.

Finally, biological re-imaginings of existing human guns/artillery (Railguns, machine guns, pistols, missiles) is discouraged unless you can find a way to twist animal adaptations into it in a way that is not recognizable as a simple gun. This is a melee based game and I strongly suggest that people play bruisers instead of glass cannons as there is a great need to be able to shrug off a few blows without bleeding out on the nearest skyscraper. The healing factor will not save you like it does with wolverine - it ultimately serves to allow us bodily damage in the fight without permanently crippling the characters - the healing mostly happens during a shift.

zenpai

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Zeth

So we are basically playing the Zoanoids from the Guyver series, except we are the good guys. Well that is a twist.

Interdiction of words

I think I will take on a more insect point of view for my adaptations to modifies and fight with but one thing is that on that level there is other possibilities of macro combat such as flying.
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A