Recruiting, "The Forgotten Tower" A Pathfinder Game.

Started by Blinkin, June 11, 2016, 07:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

After a few rounds of dwarven ale, I might dance naked on a table... lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tagan

Quote from: Mister Ugly on June 17, 2016, 10:44:29 AM
Greaatt!! :o :o one comment about Beau liking to be nude and now she is a nudist. Next thing you know everyone will swear she dances naked on a table top after a few rounds of dwarf ale.

MU

Lol.  Murasaki wouldn't know.  She was answering the rumor that was going around. She would never have asked Beau about it. 

It's kind of amusing.  When I read Beau's description, I certainly didn't see why Blinkin suddenly mentioned that she liked running around in the altogether!  But suddenly it's a huge thing.  I had to read it twice to see it mentioned at all.

I thought it was an amazing example of the game 'telephone.'

National Acrobat

ArinTalis

Well, to be fair, Fiona is Bi, although she tends to swing more in favor of men. And so far, there's only one walking shirtless scene that she's likely to have encountered on a regular basis. ;)

National Acrobat

Kess really dislikes shirt and shoes, it's in his background!

He is a wood elf after all and a druid, so you know, nature and natural and all...

Plus it shows off his ink.

Blinkin

A note for everyone,  remember that at least this part of the game is in a cold environment and everyone should equip themselves appropriately.

I'm just about done with the selection process and should have the final list up either later today or tomorrow morning. At which time, character sheets (for those who didn't go ahead and do them) will be welcome. Some minor tweaks might be requested, but overall, as long as the math works, things should be good.

A quick note on Mythweavers... I can now read sheets on the site, although creating them is beyond me still. There are two areas in which I still have a little trouble and I'll ask everyone to help me out a little with it.

The site list all of the skills and I have to go through them one by one to see what skills are being chosen by players, so I will ask everyone to send me a list of active skills that they are selecting.

The Equipment section is totally incomprehensible to me still, so if everyone will send me a list of gear that they are carrying, that would be great. I don't need weights, but just a list and the cost of any items that have special materials or differ from the base price in some way. As noted before, if something isn't on the equipment list, you don't have it, so make sure that you have it listed before you try to employ it.

Another note on familiars and companions. I let the player control their animals, but I reserve the right to employ them as potential plot devices as needed. I've discovered that sometimes, it's just entertaining to let you learn something via your critters. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Mister Ugly

it will be later today before I can get a responce up for 'Beau' about the other characters

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Chulanowa

So, here's a question BLinkin.. .Could you houserule a spear as a one-handed weapon? 'Cause I just realized the damned thing is two-handed, preventing use with a shield.. .And.. .well, the entire breadth of military history makes that pure nonsense.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Chulanowa on June 17, 2016, 03:03:39 PM
So, here's a question BLinkin.. .Could you houserule a spear as a one-handed weapon? 'Cause I just realized the damned thing is two-handed, preventing use with a shield.. .And.. .well, the entire breadth of military history makes that pure nonsense.

That's because they used a shortspear, which is a one-handed weapon, and thus is legal for using one-handed ;)

ArinTalis

Yeah, one of the things I really appreciate about 5e was that they made it a Versatile weapon (Can be wielded with one hand, or with a higher damage dice using two hands).

Ghostwheel

o.O That's still a thing in Pathfinder; when you wield a weapon two-handed, you add more of your strength to the damage, as opposed to one-handed.

Blinkin

From a quick look at Paiso forum's on the subject, the general agreement is that a spear can be used one-handed as a martial weapon, but you lose the 2-handed damage. GW also offered a solution in the form of a short spear, but again, you would lose the damage dice for 2-handed. On the plus size, you wouldn't have the issue of someone getting inside the arch of your weapon.

Historically, a spear was used in the 2nd or 3rd (Even the 4th) rank of a formation and didn't need a shield. But, as mentioned above, I'll allow one-handed use of a spear and a shield. If you use a regular length spear, you'll have to worry about getting inside your reach, a short spear, you have the reach, but less damage.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

By the way, Ghostwheel I am curious, whom is carrying the big snake, Zara? It has been made clear we are in a very cold envioroment and that does not go well with a snake. All the ones I see listed are cold blooded. Now Isabeau will have a handy haversack but that allows only 80lbs max in the main area and being Zara is big enough for your character to ride...i figure that means Zara must be several hundred pounds at least.

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Ghostwheel

Who needs to carry the snake? Rules don't coincide with reality, and she gets the same Fortitude save as everyone else, and has a specially-made heavy "turtleneck" sweater just for her ;D

National Acrobat

I'll finish my sheet tonight since the power just came back on. I purchased a haversack for Kess as well.

Blinkin

Unfortunately, haversacks, like bags of holding, can't support a living creature; it only holds the amount of air equal to it's size, minus whatever is in it... so, you would suffocate in a few minutes.

I was greatly tempted to give everyone a handy haversack, but thought that it might be too much GP value for the level of character.

Remember your encumberance levels, I usually don't worry too much about weight, but if someone gets too crazy with it, I'll start being much more particular about it. No dwarves carrying 500 pounds of looted weapons, armor, coin and various nick-nacks, please. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Kess Van Ymir:
"I do wonder at times how he can walk around barefoot like he does. I mean when i try to walk barefoot over stones and stuff it hurts. Anyway druids are always a good friend to have. He does go on about his art at times and even has wanted to tattoo me. We are still discussing that!!. His ability to shape shift can be unnerving...come on have you ever seen anyone within seconds just change from an elf into a bird or a wolf...*shivers*...that aside his ability to scout and summon various creatures improves our ability to survive."

Fiona Smyth: "I still giggle when I think about Fiona looking at Telthor and asking what she should Tell Thor? The woman has a wicked sense of humor she needs to show more. Steadfast in the middle of a fight and willing to be the anvil I can hammer foes against. Fiona does need to loosen up. I keep telling her she needs a get roaring drunk and then get laid. She also can be too darn listless when deciding what to do. I may one of these days bop her on the back of her head and tell her to make the choice and not just follow along."

Telthor: "I swear I think it would hurt the man to smile. I checked once when he was asleep to be sure his face was not just frozen in place. Grim and dark seem to be his nature. Heck he wears black all the time. That snake of his is so huge I swear it could shallow me whole without blinking. All that being said do not get in his way when he decides you are in the wrong. Even his fists hurt people. And he wears a hat like me ...and no one I have ever met that wears a hat is all dark and grim all the time."

Elsibette Taggle: "A cute halfling never is a bad thing and Elsibette handles things really good. She has a great laugh and likes good things which is why she gets first dibs on the tub when I am done. I have known holy clerics that can be damn annoying Elsibette is not. In fact she makes religion cool and we have long discussions on the subject. Good in a  tussle and better when we need her magic afterwards."

Tamerlin Silverscar:' Tattoos! A lot of them. I gave up trying to figure them all out. We do get along though because her magic like my own comes to her ...it is just there without reading spell books and researching things. We may be more limited in the spells we have but we can choose which ones to use. At first me being part elf kinda threw her off but once in you can trust her to be there when needed. I do though have to at times remind her she can't beat them all by herself"

Murasaki: "Mura can wear on you at times. She may not mean too but someone as smart as she is can be a bit annoying. Luckily I have a lot of knowledge more then she thinks I do and a I grew up around those that were as smart or smarter then she is. Like Elisbette she really cares about the common people and I like that. Her magic is precise and to the point and though she at times makes those we need to work with look like fools. I still though do chuckle at the 'Baronet Kessler' getting dunked in a pile of horse manure. That was priceless especially when he stood up with the spitting the stuff from his mouth. *works hard to suppress a giggle*"

The group "I am not sure where but somewhere my companions have the idea that I take things. I was in a Thieves's guild at the age of 14. The guy that recruited me had dreamy eyes and rugged face and was older okay. I have never ever stolen anything from a party member and would never do so. Hell I barely remember the last time I tried to pick a pocket. I do have that well made set of tools I use on traps and doors and such so I guess I can see how they may think things...but come on...I am a member in the 'Society of the Archaeologists' King's Port Branch."
"I won't even go into this idea that has sprung up that I am a nudist...geez so I sun bath nude and like to sleep naked when it is safe to do so. What is wrong with that"

<MU>
Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Blinkin on June 17, 2016, 04:30:59 PM
Unfortunately, haversacks, like bags of holding, can't support a living creature; it only holds the amount of air equal to it's size, minus whatever is in it... so, you would suffocate in a few minutes.

I was greatly tempted to give everyone a handy haversack, but thought that it might be too much GP value for the level of character.

Remember your encumberance levels, I usually don't worry too much about weight, but if someone gets too crazy with it, I'll start being much more particular about it. No dwarves carrying 500 pounds of looted weapons, armor, coin and various nick-nacks, please. ;)

I would be willing to give up 1000 of the gold you are giving us for a handy haversack. They are very useful to have even if they cant carry as much as a lvl 1  bag of holding. !!

MU
Albert Einstein

Blinkin

Unfortunately, the Haversack is 2K, so a thousand won't help you much and it's getting into that range of too much for the level. At 5th, starting gold is 10,500 gp. Automatic advancement cuts that in half, but you get that much and more in personal atunements. Several people have said that they like the magical item that I've given, so giving it up isn't on the table now.

You could reduce your armor a little and buy the haversack that way, you have 4,500 GP, plus a magic item at a discount. I'm really not comfortable giving much more coin and over-powering the group.

I will admit that most of the planned encounters aren't combat oriented, unless someone decides that a "Kill it!" mentality is the way to go... it's always a balancing act.

On a side note, one of my complaints about 5th is the difficulty of getting AC up. There's something wrong when you're 7th level and the best AC you can manage is 13. But then, if Grog's AC is 18 at 10th level... who can complain I guess.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Are you allowing alternate Racial Traits?
Also per the rules I have found a half elf can use human, elf or half elf favored class options. Is that okay with you? I ask cause half elf gives a Bardic Performance per favored class and a human gives an extra spell [lower then current highest spell level] both of these options are important for Isabeau's build.

MU
Albert Einstein

Grizzly

The young woman took her seat, smoothing the skirt of her dress beneath her as she did so.  "I heard that you wanted to speak with me?  What about?"

Kess

Tamerlin shifted noticeably in her seat as the Elfs name was mentioned.  "What do I think of Kess?  Why?  What have you heard?  If you're concerned about my being able to work with him, then don't be.  Sure he's handsome, I suppose, and some of the other ladies hearts flutter upon seeing him but you get used to attractive elves when you've grown up amongst their kind.  He's...not like the Elves that I remember though.  Less polished and more...earthy, if you'll forge the pun.  Less shoes and shirts, or so I've heard.  Jovial at times too.  And artistic.  Have you seen some of the tattoo designs that he does?  Some of them are quite intricate and beautiful."

She paused on the edge of a smile that quickly disappeared.  "You don't need to worry about us being able to work together.  It's fine.  I'm not going to stick a dagger in his back, he's a team mate.  It's just that he reminds me of..."  Her voice faded with a hint of hurt and Tamerlin looked away.

Fiona

"Fiona?" Tamerlins eyes lit up at the mention of the warrior woman's name.  "What do I think of her?  That's a silly question.  What's not to like about her?  She's strong, tough, a great fighter, definitely someone that I'd want watching my back.  She has that lovely dark hair and is just so beautiful and graceful.  And those dresses that she wears sometimes, it's like she stepped out of a bards song.  I get so jealous.  If only I could cut the same figure that she does in those..."

"Why are you looking at me like that?  It's not as if I'm in love with her.  I mean really, can you imagine?"  Tamerlin gave a dismissive wave of her hand as if the very thought was either ludicrous or perhaps a veiled truth.  "Besides, I'm pretty sure that she has eyes for someone else.  I just admire her, even with that odd sense of humor.  I think that I make her nervous too.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps I haven't been as open with her as I could be, something that I'll have to work on I guess."

Isabeau

Tamerlin smiles.  "I like Isabeau.  She and I have a lot in common.  Her magic is like mine, natural and less studied.  We are both Elvenborn and raised by humans so there's that.  It's kind of strange sometimes because she keeps her ears covered up so you wouldn't know she's Elvish and she seems more human at those times.  Laughing and singing, and breaking into a quick dance so easily, it's easy to forget her heritage.  She's just Beau.  Then when she has her hat off and her ears show, and...well you know my history with Elves.  With Beau though...it's just not the same.  Maybe a little awkward at times but it's not like it is with Kess."

Tamerlins smile widened until it broke into a light laugh.  "And her haversack, have you seen the stuff that she pulls out of it?  I remember this one time that Beau and I were...<chuckle>...and then her shirt...no wait...I probably shouldn't tell that story.  Ah Beau."

Telthor

A serious expression fell over Tamerlins face as she thought about Telthor.  "Telthor.  He's an impressive man.  Tall, strong, and kind of intimidating.  I'm glad that he's on our side.  He's a good fighter, as good or better than Fiona maybe, but there's just something about him that makes me nervous.  It's the way that he looks at you.  There's a hardness in his eyes, the look of a man who has seen the worst of the world and become as accustomed to it as breathing.  I don't think that I've ever seen him smile.  Even the thought of him smiling seems just wrong somehow."

"He's a good man, a good team mate.  It's comforting to know that he's there to pull us out of trouble should it find us.  I just can't get over that look in his eyes.  He likes owls.  He can't be all bad if he likes owls, right?"

Elsibette

"Elsi?  I think that if there was anyone in our little group that could lay claim to being the most grounded, it's Elsibette."  Tamerlin nodded her head slowly and fondly put her thoughts in order about the Halfling.  "She's adventurous and caring and good for a laugh.  She's pretty scrappy for someone so small, you have to see it.  Each of us have got our own little quirks and I think that Elsi helps to keep us together.  And maybe out of trouble.  She also has the most amazing green eyes that I've ever seen.

"Now that I think about it, I owe her a drink.  Elsi may not look it but that girl knows her way around a good meal and flagon of ale.  It's always a pleasure paying up those kinds of debts to her."

Murasaki

"Murasaki."  Tamerlin let the younger womans name roll around her tongue for a moment before continuing.  "It's kind of hard to describe Murasaki.  No one can debate how intelligent she is, and she's very good with magic.  Better than I am, I hate to admit, even though our magic stems from different sources.  It is nice to have someone else to talk to about the Arcane.  Sometimes when we are talking, it's like she's a wiser, older sister, which is funny considering that she's younger than I am.  I do worry sometimes that she'll think that I'm just a talented amateur. 

"One thing that we do not have in common is sense of clothing."  Tamerlin gave a small laugh.  "I think that she believes that those wrappings that she likes to wear make her less noticeable but they cling so tightly to her that you can't help but notice her womanly curves.  I think that the guys have, well maybe Kess.  Some of those looks that she gives him when he's not paying attention are pretty telling, so maybe she's trying to catch his eye.  I probably shouldn't have said that.  You didn't hear that from me.  That doesn't explain those weird poses that she likes to do. I can't help but wonder if that's part of her magic too."

This was a fun little exercise.  I enjoyed reading over everyones posts and seeing the little stories begin to develop.  :)

I'm still working out a few last minute details on the Character Sheet but here is what I have so far.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Blinkin

I am allowing alternate racial traits, as long as the source is Pathfinder.

"Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race."

It's a bit vague; I always thought that it refered to feats and traits, but I could see where it might include favored class options. The problem here is that the half-elf has a favored class option specifically for it, so I would have to rule that the Elf Blood would not apply there. I would also point out that you have 4 levels in bard, so that's just +4 rounds of Bardic Performance per day. Your level in Rogue would have to be taken from the Rogue favored class option.

Hope that helps.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Blinkin on June 17, 2016, 08:39:31 PM
I am allowing alternate racial traits, as long as the source is Pathfinder.

"Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race."

It's a bit vague; I always thought that it refered to feats and traits, but I could see where it might include favored class options. The problem here is that the half-elf has a favored class option specifically for it, so I would have to rule that the Elf Blood would not apply there. I would also point out that you have 4 levels in bard, so that's just +4 rounds of Bardic Performance per day. Your level in Rogue would have to be taken from the Rogue favored class option.

Hope that helps.

The referance I was using comes from here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-elf a side bar down where the favored class options are listed.
So would Human blood apply?
Currently I have favored class options as follows; rogue- 1 hp, bard- 2 Bardic Performances, one 1st level spells [human], 1 hp.

Extra spells would be more important then extra bardic performances. So given a choice I would prefer the human favored class options.

MU
Albert Einstein

Ghostwheel

They actually FAQ'ed this up:

"Yes. Half-elves and half-orcs may select racial favored class options, archetypes, traits, and so on, as if they were a full member of both races (a half-elf can select elf and human rules elements, a half-orc can select human and orc rules elements)."

So by the Pathfinder rules, yes, you would be allowed to choose either of the favored class racial options, and switch between them at your discretion. Of course, if Blinkin decides to house rule it, that would be a different matter altogether.

Blinkin

Ok, as promised, here is the list of players and characters who have gotten the 5 slots. I wish that I could take all of you as all of the character concepts were both interesting and intriguing in regards to the game that I'm planning. But, I can only handle so much and I'm afraid that 7 would simply be too many for me to challenge and accomidate.

Having said that, if anyone wants, I'll keep you in mind if there is a drop and would be happy to offer the empty slot to you. Again, this was a difficult decision and I apologize to the two who didn't make it.

And, without further ado...

Arintalis, playing Fiona Smythe

No party can survive without a front line fighter and as the really only tank offered... The Character also has a certain charm and attitude that'll fit the story well.

Chulanowa, playing Esibette Taggle

This was one of the more difficult decisions, but ultimately it was the simple versatility of the character and class that won the day.

Ghostwheel, playing Telthor

Not to put too finer a point on it, the party needed someone who might be quite so light and easy-going to balance out the others. A little more of a wildcard to keep everyone on their toes and things interesting was just too much to resist.

Mr. Ugly, playing Isabeou Hardens

This was perhaps the easiest decision among the bunch. The party will need someone who's a skill monkey and the face of the party; a role perfect for a bard and rogue all in one package.... and there's that nudist thing ;)

Tagan, playing Murasaki

This was the most difficult decision of the selection process, but ultimately, the versatility of the class and the character concept won out. It's pretty much that simple.

I want to thank National Acrobat and Grizzly for their submissions and interest in my game. As mentioned, if someone drops, I would be happy to keep your characters in mind and offer the slot to either of you. This was a very difficult selection process for me and I'm glad that there weren't more to choose from.

For the players who are now in the game, I'll create an OOC thread tomorrow, but please restrain from posting before everyone has posted their character sheets, both the initial concept and a link to your character. Once that's done, feel free to chatter away. In a few days, once characters are set, I'll open an IC thread. If there are sexy times, I'll open a side thread for that so that we don't lose pacing in the main thread. As a reminder, I would love to see more than 1 post a week, preferably at least 2 every 10 days and a post every 3 days during an encounter.

Thanks to everyone again for your interest.

On Favored Class options for half-elves. I stand corrected by GW. A Half-elf can select one of the 3 options per level of favored class taken, but only 1 of the three at each level.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.