Apocalypse World!

Started by Queluna, June 23, 2014, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queluna

I am going to be running a game of apocalypse for a friend and hopefully a small group of persons!  If you do not know what Apocalypse world is... well, I can try to explain! It's a very simple system in which a larger focus is placed upon the story than in complexity of rules or character customization. Players do have some basic attributes, and when they attempt to do something, they roll 2d6 plus their attribute. If they roll a 10+, they have a good success. If they roll a 7-9, they succeed but are met with a hard decision. If they roll less than a 7, the GM announces something bad that happens.

Some of the playbooks are pretty different from what you'd see in your typical dungeons and dragons or other popular systems. A Hardholder, for instance, is a leader of a gang that controls a town of people. During creation of your character, you can customize your gang and also the town that they control. The Hocus is a cult leader with a group of persons following them for one reason or another, up to the player's choice. You can customize your cult following as you like. You can also play a chopper, the leader of a motorcycle gang. There are other 'loner' type classes as well, though!

If you are interested, please say so here, and consider which 'playbook' or character/class you'd want to play as.

The playbooks are listed here...
http://apocalypse-world.com/AW-basicplaybooks-legal.pdf

Expect the world to be sort of a generic apocalypse world, Mad Max style with weird maybe-psychic or freakishly high-tech things popping up now and again amidst the chaos and death in the desert.

meikle

I might be that friend!  Probably.

I was thinking to probably put together a Brainer!  If there's absolutely nobody playing any of the gang playbooks (chopper, hardholder, hocus) I might end up doing one of those instead though.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Potentially tempted, so long as it was a 2-3 posts a week game rather than a post a day game. Currently I'm running a Chopper. So I'd rather do something else. XD

Are you keeping it limited to just the basic playbooks? If so, most likely looking at a Driver or a 'Lugger. Might go Operator or Skinner. Hard to say at this point.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Queluna

Yeah, Meikle was prodding me to put in more details XD  2-3 Posts a week is what should be expected!  I'd prefer the basic playbooks, but you can try running one of the advanced ones by me if you want approval on that.  There will be vulgar language and name-calling, as well as general asshattery and also nudity and sexy things!  Oh and potentially gruesome deaths and cannibals.  So expect all of that going in!

I'd like to find maybe 3-4 people or so to start this with!

Eobelle

I'd be super interested!  The Playbooks I'm most interested in are as follows (in no particular order)
1. Battlebabe
2. Brainer
3. Savvyhead
4. Skinner
5. Maestro'D (limited edition playbook) (right, no limited edition books, gotcha!)

A few questions:
1. I really like Non-con scenes, are those kosher in this game, or will I just get killed/eaten? I'm not particularly into the latter, but I can totally accept the threat of them if the former is a part of the game... I'd just like to know if non-con is a thing I can reasonably expect in this game or not.  It's not a requirement, as I love AW and really want to play a game of it regardless.

2. Playing a savvyhead: I really like to play up the weird techno-magic side of that playbook, especially with creating tech.  However, I know that can change the dynamic and feel of the game, so I'd just like to know what your thoughts are on that.   

For example, If I make a Savvyhead, I'd be interested in using my workshop to make holographic projector body piercings that can display different types of fashion over me.  the fashion they can display is tiny (the projectors are facial piercings, nipple piercings, genital piercings and a couple lower back surface piercings... and they can only display holograms a few centimeters), transparent, and has no actual substance.  I'd like to be able to use it for assistance, if the fashion projected is one that fits the action being taken.  Essentially the knowledge and skill associated with that fashion that resides in the Psychic maelstrom can be tapped and used.  So if I had a Nurse outfit projected on the character, I could make a roll for assistance with being a nurse, performing nurse actions, and using knowledge of a nurse... such as attempting to stabilize a bleeding person.

The move would probably look something like this.

Holographic Projection Piercing
When you project fashion on yourself, detail it and roll+weird.  On a 10+ mark experience and take a +1 if you take actions that are in the character of that fashion. On a 7–9, take a +1 if you act in the character of the fashion, and act under fire if you don’t. On a miss, act under fire if you don’t act in the character of the fashion.

Now if this is something that you would NOT be interested in, as it would deviate from your vision of the game, or the type of feel you want for it, it's totally cool, I'll just choose a brainer, battlebabe or Skinner instead.  I just want to be upfront so that if I do take the savvyhead, I'm not let down... not that I'm demanding or require anything like this.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

So, I just noticed it looks as though Meikle has (for whatever reason) run afoul of the rules here. As the game was being run ("for a friend") and she was that friend, is this still on?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.