Q.U.R.P.S. (A basic generic game system for roleplay)

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, December 04, 2008, 12:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elven Sex Goddess

Q.U.R.P.S.

Quick Universal Role Play System

The system is based on the bell curve of  three six sided dice ( 3d6)  with the standard target number of eleven (11) for average and in oppose rolls.     With the starting target number for skills rolls before adjusted from the average to either routine mundane, which are easy tasks.  At a eight ( 8 ) and the hard tasks at  fourteen (14).   Arbitrated by the game master.

The point buy is one for one, and can be adjusted to the level of the game and how experienced one wishes to start their game.  For purposes of  describing the break down of the point buy.  Each player will get ten (10) points to purchase attribute traits.   Ten (10) points for skills.   Such stipulations as no more then  at character creation that an attribute or skill can have no more then three points.

Attributes: 

Strength   (Used for lifting, throwing things and adding to melee attacks.)

Agility/Coordination    (Used in skills such as dancing, picking a lock or in use of a ranged weapon.

Stamina/Resistance  (This attribute is ones endurance.  And how one resists such things as poisons or diseases.)

Mental faculty  (Used for intelligent based skills)

Force of Personality.  (This attribute is ones charisma and appearance traits.   Used for such skills that are talents.  Such as bluff,  oratory and seduction as examples.)

Skills:

Anything can be a skill.  Depending on the time period of the game you are running.   When performing a skill role.  The appropriated corresponding attribute is used with the skill.   The total is subtracted from the the target number.  For example.  Player A is a thief and is trying to break into the merchants iron chest.  He is skilled and has open locks 2.   His agility/Coordination is also a 2.   The lock is a well crafted lock.  So the game master sets the target as hard a 14.   Now with a total of 4 for attribute and skill appropriate to the task.  This is subtracted from the target number.  Which makes  the target number 10.  The player rolls the  3d6 with needing 10 or better on three dice to open the lock. 

Unskilled is based on just the attribute. 

Combat is simple, again appropriate attribute with the  martial skill.   (Note in case of such skills as wrestling.  A player can choose either strength or Agility/Coordination.)  But can only choose one or the other to use.  Not both with the skill.   Now these skills are opposed by the others corresponding skill sets.  To get the adjusted target numbers.   

The combat can also be adjusted by weapon and armor.   A simple way for this.  Is that one handed weapons and range weapons give one point to the total.   While two handed weapons give two points to your total.   

For armor,  partial 1 to defense,  full armor gives 2.  A shield adds 1, and a full tower shield adds 2 .    This is added for the opposed score.

Example of combat.   Player A  has a large shield, and spear.  He goes to attack player B  with partial armor of breast plate and shield.     Player A has a strength of 3, skilled in use of the spear 2, and 1 more for the spear itself since using it one handed with the shield.  His total is 6.   Now player B has a agility/coordination of 2,  stamina/resistance of 3, partial armor of breast plate of 1 and shield of 1.  His total is 7.  So the target number is now 12.  Unlike skills rolls hitting the target number is not success  but a glancing blow of no damage.   If player A rolls a 14, then he does 2 points of damage.

Derived attributes;

Life points is 4 x  you Stamina/resistance attribute.

(Getting hurt is a disadvantage.  25% of life points is -1,  50% us -2 and 75% loss of life points is a -3.  This is both for combat and skill checks to heal)

(Blunt or stun damage heals back 1 per hour, while lethal damage heals back 1 per day or can be a week  Game masters decision.)

Initiative is 3d6 plus a persons agility/coordination and mental faculty added together and then divided in half and applied to the roll result of 3d6. 

Gaining skills and raising attributes.  For each 10 points gained, can purchase one skill or attribute point.

mannik

This seems like a simple enough system to understand...but I do have one question...

QuoteExample of combat.   Player A  has a large shield, and spear.  He goes to attack player B  with partial armor of breast plate and shield.     Player A has a strength of 3, skilled in use of the spear 2, and 1 more for the spear itself since using it one handed with the shield.  His total is 6.   Now player B has a agility/coordination of 2,  stamina/resistance of 3, partial armor of breast plate of 1 and shield of 1.  His total is 7.  So the target number is now 12.
I understand player B's total defense is 7...but where do you get the 12 for the target number? is there a constant that is added to the defense to get the target number?

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: mannik on December 11, 2008, 01:27:55 AM
This seems like a simple enough system to understand...but I do have one question...
I understand player B's total defense is 7...but where do you get the 12 for the target number? is there a constant that is added to the defense to get the target number?

Based on the values easy 8, average 11 and hard 14.   Combat starts at average value 11 in the bell curve of 3d6.   So player A the attacker has total 6 bringing target number to 5, Now apply the def of Player B 7 brings the target to 12.   Player A rolls 3d6,  if he rolls anything above a 12 those are the amount of wounds he does.  If 12 or less a miss for all purposes. 

In explanation it seems long drawn out.  However, it is quite simple and easy.  As the system takes in account both sides of the attack.  No multiple dice rolling no attack roll, save roll, damage roll.  It incorporates all this into the calculations.  For one single roll. 

mannik

Ok, thanks, it makes much more sense now.

The math really is simple then...simple enough in fact that I can make a basic Q.U.R.P.S calculator using visual basic.net

I'll let you know if I actually do make one.

BigBuckBob

It seems simple enough to just use... brain math. or a phone calculator.

I like it.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

mannik

Quote from: BigBuckBob on December 11, 2008, 04:07:38 PM
It seems simple enough to just use... brain math. or a phone calculator.

I like it.
Yeah, but programming it into a user interface is like a personal challenge for myself...you know...doing it just to say I did.

and I'm planning on it being a little more than just a calculator...If all goes well you'll be able to save and update individual player stats as well as stats of enemy creatures, select which attributes to include in the calculations. Alter skill modifiers...basically the entire system packaged into one user friendly program for the GM's convenience.

Elven Sex Goddess

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Asherah on December 04, 2008, 12:26:46 PM
Q.U.R.P.S.

Quick Universal Role Play System
Finally, I see a system! Thank you, lady Asherah ;D !
Seriously, I was beginning to suspect nobody here plays system games :P .
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!