Looking for another High School Slice of Life Comedy but in BESM 3 instead

Started by steelsmiter, December 26, 2014, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Which reminds me...I may be deciding to roll up a certain character of mine...I use her in Anima, but she would probably fit here to...need to read more and see what all I can do...

EDIT: Alternate Identity mentions the ability to buy Dynamic Shapeshifting for 20 points-would you allow that, steel?
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

steelsmiter

I usually only reserve Dynamic anything for Plot Devices. Would Dynamic Powers (Detention) have an effect on it?
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Angie

I wouldn't know-all I really want is to give my girl the ability to take any (human) form she wants. What does Detention do?

EDIT: Also, I thought of a way to do what I want without the Shapeshifting, which is really just icing on the Faye-Cake. So, yay or nay, I can still make my concept.

steelsmiter

Sure, but Dynamic Powers is a bit overkill. Basically Detention would be whatever the teacher decides is an adequate disciplinary measure for misusing powers. In theory it could nullify powers, or force you into whatever area was being used for Detention (i.e. it's the high powered version of real world detention).
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Angie

That...works out perfectly for Faye. I should probably explain the concept: She's a Succubus who's doing her best to learn how to control herself and her powers, since, you know, the penalties for her flipping out and going loco are a little more extreme then others. Perhaps her mother sent her to this school specifically because of the teachers having access to the Detention power. Since I wanted Faye to assume any form she would want/need, the suggestion of Dynamic Power Shapeshifting sounded appropriate.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, with dynamic power - Detention would be need be cosmically scaled, so around 30pts per rank? Anyways I think detention allows do anything inside school setting as means punish students (not kill them but anything besides that works). It allows sealing powers, make ghosts stuck in bottle (despite they usually can go through bottle), turn them into animals and so on. But limit is perhaps the power cannot cancel powers which are lower thank this power rank but as GM you can give teacher the max rank on it and max rank being higher than any students ranks (but it is good limit in case if there is teacher which is less competent in doing detention as he/she is new).

Angie

I'm reading the defects and I'm loving it. I have a few ideas in mind, but nothing as crazy as the whole shapeshifting business. Oooo, Alternate Form is also a lovely power...Gah, I just know I'm gonna suffer from the First Character Curse I have...

EDIT: Oh, so this is a 2d6 system, got it!

Zaer Darkwail

Yup, all contested rolls and such are 2d6 and then rest is just calculating formula (HP, damage, defenses etc). Nice see you excited of the BESM system :). It can be handful when making chars on it but when do the system crunch it's easy then.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 26, 2014, 04:01:26 PMI should probably explain the concept: She's a Succubus. <snip>Since I wanted Faye to assume any form she would want/need, the suggestion of Dynamic Power Shapeshifting sounded appropriate.
Well, the trouble with Dynamic Powers is that you're getting into "having any ability she wants" territory with that. You qualified it as being restricted to any human form, but the problem with that is that Merlin is a human form. I'm looking for a succubus build I found before, but the trouble is the wiki-holder didn't remew their subscription so I can't find the original build.

QuoteWell, with dynamic power - Detention would be need be cosmically scaled, so around 30pts per rank?
I was thinking that the limiting factor here is "A small locality" which is a 20 point category

Quoteperhaps the power cannot cancel powers which are lower thank this power rank but as GM you can give teacher the max rank on it and max rank being higher than any students ranks (but it is good limit in case if there is teacher which is less competent in doing detention as he/she is new).
That could be a fair limitation. I originally started to quote this for nay-saying, and telling you that the principal would impose limits on what could be done. But of course I'd have to set fairly strict meta-game limits myself.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 26, 2014, 04:26:52 PM
Yup, all contested rolls and such are 2d6 and then rest is just calculating formula (HP, damage, defenses etc). Nice see you excited of the BESM system :). It can be handful when making chars on it but when do the system crunch it's easy then.

Even the creation is coming easily-like I said, this was an Anima character and Anima is all about the Point Buy, so this, this is simple.

I'm thinking aside from Shapeshifting, also giving Faye Alternate Form (Demonic), Healing, Flight, and maybe a couple others before spending the rest on skills.

As for the shapeshifting itself, think Mystique from X-Men, and less the character who is my avi (my avi is Faye the Shapeshifter from Lemonfont's Shapeshifter series, and she is incredibly OP. I'm only taking the name.)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, dynamic power could placed limits like 'humanoid, any unique' meaning she could not masquerade as someone unless taking other power. But she can take any unique humanoid shapes. But alternative form for demonic form also works (or make her human form as alternative form which is dumped down version of her demonic true form). It's all way how you spin the spoon around :).

Anyways another reason why 'cannot affect XX ranked powers' for detention is that if there are players who play human and if teacher decides use detention power to 'take your true form/monster form now!' then Detention power does not work on them; as another limit is that detention cannot make student do things which are plain impossible (you cannot make human student run with a speed of a car, albeit they would try run that fast). So human students can get clause that their power is 'so awesome' that teachers cannot shut it out (bragging rights until a more wiser/clever teacher realizes he is attempting use power on human which does not have monstrous form and true form is the one they see already).

Angie

Yeah, no turning into the Queen of Detention (to steal something straight from WINX), at least not with some kind of disguise ability or some really good social skills.

I know Healing works differently with the way Steel's intending to do this, still taking it.

steelsmiter

I haven't really OK'd Shapeshifting. I'll look into it.

QuoteAnyways another reason why 'cannot affect XX ranked powers' for detention is that if there are players who play human and if teacher decides use detention power to 'take your true form/monster form now!' then Detention power does not work on them; as another limit is that detention cannot make student do things which are plain impossible (you cannot make human student run with a speed of a car, albeit they would try run that fast).
Considering that the purpose of Detention is to detain the student, I think that would be against the spirit of it in the first place. It would be amusing to have a student be forced to write sentences without superspeed.

QuoteSo human students can get clause that their power is 'so awesome' that teachers cannot shut it out (bragging rights until a more wiser/clever teacher realizes he is attempting use power on human which does not have monstrous form and true form is the one they see already).
There will always be a teacher that's better than the students in their ability to shut out their powers and make them go to the principle's office. But since teacher PCs aren't out of the question, it's all down to whether the teacher wants to build that way. A brand new teacher (which is what a player would be) is subject to the same benchmarks and CP
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

steelsmiter

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 26, 2014, 04:49:04 PM
I know Healing works differently with the way Steel's intending to do this, still taking it.
Can work differently. the link I posted was about popularity, and the healing mentioned there healed popularity specifically. Healing in general is basically unchanged (though you should probably not buy levels that heal dismemberment or death since those won't happen)

Oh and benchmarks won't allow that level anyway.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

I'll build Faye both ways then and go with either the Shapeshifting/Non-Shapeshifting version depending on what gets okay'd.

Any limit on Defects?

steelsmiter

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: steelsmiter on December 26, 2014, 04:54:55 PM
Considering that the purpose of Detention is to detain the student, I think that would be against the spirit of it in the first place. It would be amusing to have a student be forced to write sentences without superspeed.

There will always be a teacher that's better than the students in their ability to shut out their powers and make them go to the principle's office. But since teacher PCs aren't out of the question, it's all down to whether the teacher wants to build that way. A brand new teacher (which is what a player would be) is subject to the same benchmarks and CP

Well, it would be paradox sort deal if detention power would command the human student to take it's 'true form' when student has already true form 'on'. If student is told 'take your monstrous form' then detention power would give them a random monster's appearance for duration of the detention. This is what I tried get at :P. But humans are subjective to the power as everyone other student, just that they may not fare so well in some tasks (like speed write 30,000 sentences and assuming they have superspeed some kind).

steelsmiter

Well, the obvious answer to that is "Go to the Principal's Office" where the thing that makes the character the most mundane possible happens.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

I've seen Sky High and I can't help but think of the Detention Room from that movie, where all powers are nullified. In fact, the Detention Room might be it's own pocket dimension, just shared by the staff...

steelsmiter

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 26, 2014, 06:15:20 PM
I've seen Sky High and I can't help but think of the Detention Room from that movie, where all powers are nullified. In fact, the Detention Room might be it's own pocket dimension, just shared by the staff...
Hadn't seen it, but you've got  the right idea.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Letrixia

As far as I can see the typical BESM gang is reuniting on this one. I am in! :)

steelsmiter

Alright, I'll get the rules that I haven't posted up as soon as I can.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Angie

You guys will be having a Shy Succubus on your hands, one who can only barely control her changes.  >:)

Speaking of, standard skill point costs?

Letrixia