A Band of Adventurers (UN, Fantasy, Freeform)

Started by Daril, June 09, 2009, 01:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimmy

Daril

I'll give my approval for Ixy as my replacement, since she was one of the first people to express interest in this idea.

Thanks for being so understanding, everyone.

The Greater Cause

lol Wow I didn't even notice my character resembled Link! Thats funney thanks for pointing that out :D. And I have no problem with who runs the this place it really doesn't make a difference to me :D

Drake Valentine

Hum, I was wondering same thing Tevan was; whether or not slots are still accepting or have now been limited.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

The Greater Cause

Ixy

Ok then-- Thanks to you all who have expressed confidence, and I'll work this together and kick us off for in-character interaction to begin this weekend.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on June 11, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
Hum, I was wondering same thing Tevan was; whether or not slots are still accepting or have now been limited.

Drake, Tevan-- for now, go ahead and send me your concept.  But bear in mind that big groups can be too cumbersome for pbp so I might have to split up the group-- I'll decide that later.

I hope it's not terribly disappointing for you guys if I don't have an elaborate history planned out, but I'll try to summarize the setting for you briefly at this point, then elaborate later on.

The world will be pseudo-medieval, with primary industries being agriculture, herding, mining, and fishing.   Technological breakthroughs like steampower have been made and are starting to spread, but efforts to implement them on a wider scale frequently encounter inexplicable setbacks.  Gunpowder exists, but its forumlation is so secretly kept that, NO, you can't get some and probably won't see any.  There are some cities with up to 20,000 inhabitants. 

The tavern where you meet is in a small, but rural, city called Kavitzdon-- existing at the crossroads of a trade route, this city is a trading node for the entire region and, while small by comparison to the capitol cities and port cities, it has a militia, a jail, a city council, and hosts a major festival for the region every summer in honor of... er, some goddess or something.  Haven't gotten that far.

The region of the world where we'll be located to start is going to be geographically much like the agrarian areas of the Shenandoah or Catskill mountain regions... good for farming and ranching, with rolling hills, moderate climate but subject to some difficult winters and the occasional summer heatwave.  Lakes, rivers, quarries, salt and iron and copper mines, etc. Lush, deep forests.  Some swamps.

Magic exists in about 1% of the population; there are some natural casters who need no tutelage and some "learned" casters, who display the potential but can only learn through careful study.  Clerics are considered casters, but their talents are focused through a relationship with a deity.  60% of mages, sorcerors, etc. are never powerful enough to be of significant harm.  So, in a town of 1,000 people, only 4 will have the potential to be a truly dangerous caster-- some will live their entire life without learning it.

There are monsters and gods in the world; this is an accepted fact for most of society.  What most DON'T know is how much is folklore or myth, and how much is reality.  The world's faiths are diverse, and most deities are perceived in a rather Roman or Egyptian sense that they're imperfect, exceptionally powerful, and they dick around in human's lives all the time.  There are still some who don't believe in the most gods, some gods, or all gods... but they're rare.  The monsters most people have seen are rare, dangerous, and stupid creatures that threaten livestock.  Other species of "mythical" origin-- good and evil-- in OUR world are believed to exist somewhere in this fictional world, but it's difficult to separate fact from fiction because of regional isolation and ignorance.

What I'll need from those of you participating is a brief character summary that we can use for quick-reference and that I can use to help me shape events. 

Please PM me these details... sorry if some of it's redundant from your earlier posts, but it will help me to have this consolidated. 
FYI: People in this pseudo-medieval era are somehow comparable in stature to most of the western world in 2009.  Amazing, isn't it?  So tall for a guy is 6' or 2m and up, etc.  There are region-specific languages, but we'll have one 'common' tongue for the sake of argument (for now).  And I'll ask you questions that, yes, may seem like they make me dirty-minded, I guess, but I rather expect aspects of story to somehow involve sex at some point and by god, it'd best be done well enough to be enjoyable.

Oh, and on that note-- unless it's central to the plot, such things might get relegated to a side-thread.  We'll all still WATCH of course, but we'll keep the plot rolling too.

Also, you may notice the "2 exceptional things" part... For example, choose "is of secretly noble birth", "is sexy as hell", "posesses a '6th sense' of sorts", "is hard as hell to kill or wear out".  One should be related to combat.

CHARACTER NAME:
AGE, EYE/HAIR COLOR, SKIN TONE:
HEIGHT/WEIGHT, BUILD:
MANNER OF DRESS:
TALENTS AND SKILLS:
2 EXCEPTIONAL THINGS:
PERSONALITY:
WEAPONS/EQUIPMENT: note- I'm not the kind of GM who'll dick you over because you don't have a flint and steel or a fishing hook on your equipment list.  Just list the exceptional stuff here.  If I say "you don't have that item" it's for the sake of the story, okay?  :)
PLACE S/HE CALLS "HOME":
WEAKNESSES/FLAWS:
STRONGEST DESIRE/DESTINY:
SEXUAL DESIRES/FETISHES: Please just be frank here, from a player's perspective.  I CANNOT PROMISE ANYTHING, but I'll try to work something in for everyone.

Ok.  If I think of something more, I'll let you know.  Hope this isn't too overwhelming-- thanks for your interest :)

The Greater Cause

Marlow

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

The Greater Cause

Ixy

Quote from: Marlow on June 11, 2009, 06:46:19 PM
Is this still open?

see 2 posts prior: yes, fill out and email.

Quote from: The Greater Cause on June 11, 2009, 07:38:45 PM
Ixy are you alive???? :o

Yes, now why exactly are you asking?

The Greater Cause

just wonderin. I sent you my profile by the way.... Don't know if you noticed or not.

Ixy

One more reminder: I need the quick-reference questions I posted earlier answered and sent via PM please-- I hope to start this scenario over the weekend.

And I do have a stipulation that I failed to mention earlier: while I do appreciate that it's feasible somebody in the party might be EVIL, I would like to request that, at least until this gets going, you refrain from making your character CE or NE.  It just won't bloody work right now.  If you've submitted a CE concept, please consider revising to CN or (gasp!) CG with evil urges from time to time.

THANK YOU!

Nimmy

Pardon my ignorance, but what do CE, NE, CN and CG stand for?

Ixy

Sorry-- I tossed out those abbreviations for those who knw what they mean-- old D&D "allignments" referenced how good/evil or lawful/chaotic your character is... with good and evil are pretty clear, but chaotic and lawful are the tricky ones; a CG (chaotic good) character might cause a LOT of trouble, but does so with the best intentions and generally means to protect others' life/safety, whereas a CE character has no scruples and lives only to hurt or destroy.

It's not exactly realistic to polarize morality like this, but hey... it's fantasy, right? :)

Nimmy

iridum248

I'd love to play in this, as a steampunkish sorceress who has a strange affinity for encounters of the monstrous kind- Orcs, goblins, minotaurs, et cetra...With a little bit of both seductress and mad scientist. ^_^

Ixy

Very well-- the technology you're describing would be very, very rare and the sorceress aspects will be necessary to keep the technology working.  I hope you noted the post earlier where I request a quick character sketch by PM-- thanks :)

Darkforged Dove

Iridian,

Just so you know, uhm.... I'm not so sure if your character flavour fits into this game at all.

Most of the characters are well... not even one of them uses a gun, of any kind. Telescopes are likewise missing, as are clocks, or steam power.

Right now most of the characters are more Lord of the Rings or late Middle Ages levels of technology type characters; with full plate and swords; or crossbows being the "peak" of military technology (even then, the crossbow is an ancient weapon that the Chinese were using well before Alexander the Great conquered much of the known world).

The character 'concept' can work, but not with a steam-punk 'flavour'. The sorceress with a marble statue as her body guard, or a living carriage that can speak, or a bunch of cutlery that walks around and fights (animated silver cutlery killing werewolves would be... interesting) are all possible.

I love the idea of Steam-Punk and Victorian age looking clothing and equipment; I read every issue of Phil Foglio's Girl Genius Online webcomic, and have designed, modelled, and textured a mechanical elephant-tank for my 3D animation courses.

However, the steam-punk Madgirl in mideval psuedo-Europe is too much of a flavour clash, and actually wrecks the established setting. Using a character that has "science" as their special power won't really work in a setting that pretty much does not have "science" as something that anyone uses. The ability to manufacture things, like machines, means that there is an economy and infrastructure that supports the creation of brass gears, iron treads, wooden panelling and high-potency "phlebotium" fuel to power said machines.

Of course, I'm not saying that such a character is impossible. They are possible, but only with very specific limitations. Such as being from not only a different country, but possibly from a different continent.

If your character was the equivalent of a person who crashed their airplane in the middle of the African Savannah and still had their hunting rifle, binoculars, "civilized" clothing, and the like, and then interected with the various native tribes or nomads; then your character would be plausible. Your character could have higher than average technology, but they would not however be able to do proper repairs to their equipment, and replacing it would be impossible. Simply because the 'natives' that she has landed amongst do not have the infrastructure that would support a steam-punk society.

There would also be many roleplaying concerns that would have to be looked at, such as being able to have a character that acts, and feels as if they had gone back in time, and backwards in term of technology and societal advances. Your character could probably not understand why our characters don't have firearms, or steam-levels of technology. The idea of riding by horse, instead of train or airship, could seem completely ludicrous, even stone-age, to your character.

Of course, that's based on my experience, and how I would allow such an anachronistic character into a "developed iron-age" technology setting like this game.

Books such as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court would be a good starting point for roleplaying such a character in this setting.
Pretendy fun time games is good, but I tend to want as much of the real, original and undiluted as possible. A paradox, I know.

iridum248

Ah, well. I think I'd just stick with vanilla sorceress, instead; I'm not *too* familiar with the scenario's tech-level, so it's better if I stay with what I know. ^_^

Alternatively, I have an idea for a female Paladin (Paladiness) who can't help falling afoul of monsters...Particularly because, while she *is* right and good and all things that make her what she is, she does have a certain weakness...

Ixy

Current List of Approved Characters

I truncated the information provided in some cases for quick-reference, but I am keeping original information for my reference later.  In essence, this section is what everybody can basically TELL from aquaintance.  Everything else you can share at your leisure.

If I left anyone off, please let me know.  I'll start the game thread within the next day or two and allow people to start posting their set-up.  Additionally, the brief synopsis I put for each one is a combination of the players' emails and my own summary, so I hope no one's offended.

It looks to be a larger group than I'd expected, but I think we can work with it if you guys give me patience. 

CAEL
Player: Nimeneth
Physical Details
Male
Build: 5'10, Wiry
Complexion: Fair
Hair: Ginger, shoulder-length
Eye: Gray-green
Manner of Dress: Understated clothes perfect for blending into crowds or forest surroundings: dark pants, shirts in dark colors, typically green, dark cloak. Hair is at shoulder length, generally pulled back out of his face in either a simple ponytail or tucked under a bandana.
Personality: He is often the voice of reason in many situations. He's a bright, cheerful person, and very accepting. Pretty street smart.

AZHOURI
Player:  Ixy (NPC)
Physical Details:
Female
Build: 5'2, Lithe, dancer's phsyique
Complexion: Coppery-tan
Hair: Cropped, ebony-black.
Eye: Slightly tilted, bright blue
Manner of Dress: Acombination of highly durable leathers tailored to her, under a simple gray tunic and skirt of threadbare muslin.  Bodice, sleeves, gloves, leggings, and boots are cinched with laces and small buckles along the sides, inseams, and the back of her neck.  She tends to travel in hood. 
Dancing: pares down the protective aspects of the garment, adds white silk scarves looped over her arms and around her torso to emphasize movements; not completely indecent, but more revealing.
Personality: Quiet, subtly flirtatious, possessing a dry wit.  She tries to avoid trouble, but it tends to find her.  Her skin and hair smells like incense and burnt cedar.

GLAIS NEREUS
Player Darkforged Dove
Physical Details
Male
Apparent Age: 30
Complexion:  Light tan
Hair: Coppery-brown, moderate length (tied back)
Eyes: Gray
Build:  6', strong, broad shouldered
Manner of Dress: Blue jacket, grey shirt, loose patched green pants tucked into knee high boots.
Personality: Usually pretty relaxed, prefers to not have to fight, and has on occasion asked even undead to share a drink with him as a joke.  Unrelenting when battle's started.  Hates pirates.

KATARZYNA MIRADAR
Player Marlow
Physical Details
Female
App. age: late 20s.
Build: 5'10, Athletic, powerful, supple and graceful.
Complexion: Grey/White
Eye: White
Hair: Silver
Manner of Dress black plate-mail armour, barren of decoration, purely functional, with velvet cloak. For special occasions, minimalist one-piece items, cut shear around her neck and low down her back.
Personality  Katarzyna, whlle displaying the usual regal bearing of her people, is clearly a troubled soul.  She seems compelled to wander, and though she is known as a fierce warrior, she relishes the moments of liberty in-between.

KRIN SACTOR
Player The Greater Cause
Physical Details
Male
Complexion: Mid tan
Hair: Light Brown, mid-length
Eyes:  Hazel
Build: Compact, wiry, sexy as hell.
Manner of Dress: Dresses like a noble. Often wears a red silk shirt with a layer of chainmail sewn into it and black slightly baggy pants brown padded adventurers gloves and boots. And a black leather belt with his sword on it.
Personality: Outgoing and spunky. He loves talking and socializing which is why he does what he does. Party person but can be a little shy around women.  If he's the bard that's been rumored to be traveling the region, he's evidently VERY good.

LADY LUCILLE VAN EDEFELT
Player: Iridum248
Physical Details:
Female
Age 21
Complexion: Fair
Hair: Long, flowing blonde
Eyes: Bright blue
Build: 5'6, hourglass figure, lovely.
Manner of Dress  The light armor of her Order, beneath a white surplice- Blue and white are the colors of the Radiant Heart (this marks her as a paladin, everyone).  Off-duty: fancy and fashionable.
Personality: Soft-spoken and almost meek-- Which makes her seem a trifle shorter, especially in the presence of particularly assertive people-- she's more like a traveling noble than a paladin, though she's competent enough in martial matters, it seems.

OZ
Player: RandomNumber
Physical Details:
Male
Age 27
Complexion: Mod. Fair
Hair: Unkept, dark brown.  Mid-length for a male, extremely light facial hair which he shaves when he gets the chance (not very often)
Eyes: Pale Blue
Build: 130 pounds, 5' 10", not quite athletic (might be if he took better care of himself)
Manner of Dress  Low class, functional, simple.
Personality:  He's a people person with no great direction in life that enjoys a good conversation, a mug of ale, and flirting.  However, flirting is more of a game than anything to him, his ultimate objective at most is a single night of enjoyment.  He seems to have no interest in any longterm commitments, friendship or otherwise.  Alignment: he's on the border between chaotic good and chaotic neutral.

iridum248

Hmmm, we might need to split into two groups for this, to avoid the whole 'waiting for everyone else to post' problem. Ah, well.  :-)

Ixy

Alright, ladies and gentlemen-- we are on:

Game Thread

OOC Thread

Please add these to your bookmarks, if you don't mind.