Walmart becoming target? Subject: Message icon: Bold Italicized Underline Strik

Started by Jocelyn Isnt Here, August 21, 2010, 06:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jocelyn Isnt Here

The other day I read an article talking about targets CEO taking over as CEO as well.. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.moneycentral.msn.com%2FInvesting%2FExtra%2Fis-walmart-the-new-target.aspx&rct=j&q=walmart%20new%20ceo%20from%20target&ei=amJwTKeHNYH6lwe8062zDQ&usg=AFQjCNG3GMQA2XhbIII3IlPhf6OkXHfCTw&cad=rja  click there if you want to read it. Umm so has anyone noticed the change in prices and how walmart looks? What do you think about it? have you ever shopped there before?
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

HockeyGod

I think what the article is showing is that typically Target has a market that is more middle and upper-middle class whereas Walmart is more middle and lower-middle class. Walmart is attempting to modify it's look and feel to attract the higher income individuals.

I imagine that it won't work for most - there's a perception of Walmart that you just can't erase.

I would imagine it is also geographic in nature.

I guess time will tell.

Oniya

Personally, I think both of them have been about the same for a long time.  Target is just a bit more full of itself, hence the joking reference to them as 'tar-ZHAY' (because everything French is classy :P)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Serephino

I've noticed this.  Several months ago they changed everything around and it was fricken annoying!  The candy aisle has more gourmet stuff that's ridiculously expensive.  It may cost more in a fancy candy store, but still, $10 is a lot to pay for an 8oz box of chocolates.  And the aisle with the candles now has those reed diffusers that somehow have become so popular; along with the simmering oils that are $2 for a flippin ounce.  They expanded their electronics and sell Blackberrys now too. 

I seriously doubt they will keep the upper middle class if this economy ever turns around though.  The stuff may seem fancier to the average person, but even I know it's still cheap crap for the most part.  Alx is right, Walmart's reputation isn't going to change.  I have an inkling that that people who shop there now out of necessity will go back to their favorite department stores as soon as they can afford to.     

MasterMischief

Quote from: Serephino on August 21, 2010, 09:43:00 PM
I have an inkling that that people who shop there now out of necessity will go back to their favorite department stores as soon as they can afford to.     

Big Lots FTW!!!

Jocelyn Isnt Here

Eh =\ I just hope that I don't have to find somewhere new to shop. They raised the prices on five of my favorite foods and if they make the rest really expensive I'll just have to  go somewhere else for my food :X  I think that target is in hot water for donating money to an anti same sex marriage politician so that might make walmart some money if people boycott target.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."