The Kingdom Of Alaywin - fantasy in an icy setting

Started by RedEve, December 25, 2013, 03:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

The Kingdom Of Alaywin

"one of the Assys' iceships"
The Kingdom Of Alaywin finds itself in the middle of the frozen continent of Permeteia. According to legend, Permeteia was once home to lush jungles, green fields and sandy beaches, but now the only color is the dull white of the snow and ice. No people has any right to survive in the middle of such a desolate waste-land. The fact that the Assys have succeeded is a testament to their brilliance. Their continued survival is based upon their technological advancement. They grow crops which could not possibly survive in the inhospitable climate in huge greenhouses. They roam the icy wastelands on ships that slide across the icy surface. The other basis of their power and wealth is more arcane: the Assys are renowned for their use of magic. This magical tradition is passed on from generation to generation within the bloodline of the families that are collectively known as The Children of the Ancients. Where their powers were massive and capable of shaping entire continents several thousands of years ago, their magic has slowly waned as the blood-line was diluted. The last truly great magician was produced almost three hundred years ago in the form of Amargith – the first of her name. She singlehandedly fought off several attacks by invading armies and brought the Assys to the heights of their last true golden age.

Amargith the first width=400 padding=15

The current situation is more precarious. The current ruler, Amargith the third – a direct descended of and thus named after Amargith the first – has trouble keeping her city and culture alive. The environment has only grown harsher and her magical abilities are more limited than those of her predecessors. Some heretics even claim that Amargith possesses no magic of her own, and her supposed public acts of magic are mere parlor tricks to maintain the mystique of her bloodline. Whatever the truth might be, the Assys are going through their worst crisis in a millennium, and that was before the Pale Ones returned.

The Pale Ones – called Varak Palai in the old language – are a myth that is as old as the Assys themselves. The legends speak of a mysterious people, seemingly made of living ice that return ever few hundred years and descend upon the Assys and the other peoples who inhabit Permeteia. Historical records suggest that they are more than just a myth and that the Assys – with the help of their magical abilities – have fought off invasions on at least four different occasions. Now they have returned, with sightings of the Pale Ones in the settlements furthest removed from the city. Things became more dire when the first settlement was overrun and every person within the town was slaughtered. Most Assys have now returned to the city, and await whatever is to come within its tall and sturdy walls.

Amargith, realizing that her kingdom is in a poor state to face an invasion, has reached out to its neighbors in Blueport. Blueport is the large Viking city to the West. The Kingdom has been in an uneasy peace with them for a couple of hundred years now, with both peoples keeping to themselves. Now, with the threat of the Pale Ones looming, Amargith has sent a delegation to Blueport to negotiate an alliance against the Pale Ones. Knowing full well that her own people need the Vikings more than the Nordic warriors need the Assys.

the city of Alaywin

This is merely an interest check thread for now. If I find there to be a genuine interest in the story, I will add a CS template and a roll of possible characters to the opening post.
Feel free to express your interest in this thread, or if you prefer, in a PM to me.
Thanks for reading regardless of what you decide.

*edit*

Below is the CS template.
Character sheets are to be sent to me in a PM and not posted in the interest thread.

[float=right][img padding=15](insert image link here, preferably something reasonably sized 400-500 width)[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Faction:[/b] (Assys or Vikings)
[b]Background:[/b] (use this to give a sketch of your characters history as well as his personality. The three families with the Arcane bloodlines in Alaywin are called the Lanaul (to whom Amargith belongs), the Sareev and the Assele. The oldest of the three families and the one which historical records have linked to magic wielders for the longest time are the Assele. The Assys' own name is a bastardization of their family name. Unfortunately for the Assele, their bloodline appears to be the most diluted, so their grasp on the arcane started to slip centuries before the Lanaul and the Sareev experienced the same problems. The claim to the Alaywinian throne is generally granted to the family whose collective magical power is the greatest. Because of this, it has been nearly 500 years since an Assele has been on the throne. They still retain much of their status due to their historical importance to the culture. The Lanaul and Sareev seem to have emerged at roughly the same time and long after the Assele had mastered magic. Those two families have divided the rulers of the kingdom amongst them since the Assele family's decline. [b]Important[/b]: [u]not every character on the Assys side has to or indeed should belong to these three families[/u]. The little bit of background above is just for those of you who want to play one of the Children of the Ancients.)
[b]Other: [/b] (This is the section for anything of importance you might want to share about your character which does not fit in with any of the above categories)

Two roles have currently be reserved and cannot be chosen: I myself will play Amargith.
The Viking leader will initially be a GM controlled NPC. The reason why I have claimed both faction leaders is to more easily guide the narrative when I have my GM cap on.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Rajah

Interest. What's magic like, in practical terms? Dresden Files? Harry Potter? Mistborn? Tolkien? Does Blueport have magical traditions of its own? Do people ride bears? What's the technological era in Alaywin, do they have firearms? Is everyone Caucasian? Will the game start in the unnamed capital city of Alaywin, in a far settlement, at a summit meeting between Alaywin and Blueport, in Blueport? How many aristocratic families with magic-wielding heirs are in Alaywin? What IS the culture of Alaywin, in comparison to Blueport's presumably Viking-esque society?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Chrystal

This is grand and epic, and quite frankly is deserving of an entire trilogy of books to be written and published, each one beingat least an inch thick, and nearer two inches.

My main question is: is this going to be sandbox or story based?

If the latter, is the story going to be rigid and led by yourself from within, or is it going to be flexible?

If the former, well.... lets hope it gets enough people to work.

But yes, I am interested. I'm pretty sure I would want to be some sort of skate-warrior or trapper type, an adventurous soul with cold skin and a warm heart.

Oh, and see my PM...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

First off, thanks for the interest, as well as for the many excellent questions. :)

QuoteWhat's magic like, in practical terms?

There is a difference between what the Children of the Ancients used to be able to do to what they have been able to conjure up more recently. At the height of their power, the most powerful magicians could literally shape their environment. Some of the oldest buildings within the city kingdom were not so much built as they were brought into reality by magic. Some control of the elements was also part of their repertoire. Amargith the First was known for being able to control lightning. The magicians were also able to submit wild animals to their will (you can interpret the polar bear in the Amargith the First image as her enchanted guard dog)

As the bloodlines were further diluted with each new generation, their powers have slowly faded as well. Amargith the Third does have some magical powers (which I will not reveal just yet), but her mastery of the arcane arts pales in comparison to what her ancestors were capable of. Suffice to say, her magic is small (in scale and application) compared to what the Assys used to be able to do.

QuoteDoes Blueport have magical traditions of its own?

No. Blueport is a Viking city that has survived courtesy of their ships, courage and wits. They live off what they catch in the sea and from what crops and supplies they raid. Part of the reason why their relationship with the Assys has been strained is because they frown upon (and are secretly fearful of) their use of magic.

QuoteDo people ride bears?
No, but historically the Assys (or rather, those amongst them who could wield magic) have been known to use enchantments to bind bears to their will.

QuoteWhat's the technological era in Alaywin, do they have firearms?
They do not have firearms. Their technological level would be more advanced than the Vikings. They too would wield swords, spears, shields, ... but their materials would be far superior and their weapon thus stronger/sharper/more sturdy.

QuoteIs everyone Caucasian?
With very little influx of outsiders, Alaywin has a rather homogeneous population in terms of racial make-up.
The very large majority of their people would have a rather Nordic look. The members of the bloodlines that hold (or held) the magical power have a common trait: their hair is either white or palish blue.

QuoteWill the game start in the unnamed capital city of Alaywin, in a far settlement, at a summit meeting between Alaywin and Blueport, in Blueport?
The game will start in Alaywin, shortly after Amargith decided to call in the assistance of the vikings.

QuoteHow many aristocratic families with magic-wielding heirs are in Alaywin?
There are three arcane bloodlines in Alaywin. Since recorded history, the ruler of Alaywin has always come from one of these three families.
It is tradition for the families to marry their children off to each other, in an effort to keep the bloodlines as pure as possible, though this has only been partially effective in keeping their magical powers intact.

QuoteWhat IS the culture of Alaywin, in comparison to Blueport's presumably Viking-esque society?
The Assys are somewhat isolationist. In that regard, the remote and barren location of their kingdom is no coincidence. They have a rich tradition in science and technology, as well as a devotion to the arts.
Though not purely xenophobic, they are very mistrusting of outsiders, and the few newcomers they welcome in their midst need several generations for them and their offspring to be accepted as true Assys.
As such, Amargiths decision to ask for the Vikings help is a controversial one. Some at the court believe that she is breaking with a tradition that has been upheld for thousands of years, even though her motives (saving her kingdom from ruin) are noble.

RedEve

Chrystal: to answer your question, at the macro level this will be a story based game. I will play Amargith and use that role to more or less guide the direction of the game.
At the micro level, the players will get some freedom to write their own stories, but their plots will need to conform to what happens in the larger story.

Oberon

Add me to the list of interested ones :-)

I can imagine there being different factions in both Alaywin and Blueport that might all have their own agenda's but in the end are forced to unite in some way to face down the threat of the pale ones. There could be room for a lot of intrigue before that happens. A bit like Game of Thrones? Different families/houses/clans striving for power? Or perhaps some in Alaywin don't agree with Amargith's decision to seek help from "outsiders" and decide to try and sabotage her efforts. Or some in Blueport interpret Amargith's request for help as a sign of weakness and see Alaywin as a city ripe for plunder...
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
It is the source of all true art and science.
A. Einstein

RedEve

Amargith's decision to call in help from Blueport is certainly a controversial one. Her grasp on power is still strong enough to keep her political opponents in line, but that might change if the war effort fails or if the alliance with the Vikings proves problematic.
Likewise, the power structure in Blueport will be weary of the alliance and distrusting of the Assys. They have never given the Vikings any reason to think kindly of them, after all.

RedEve

Feel free to PM me that question if you don't feel like asking it in the thread yet. ;)

Chrystal

I'm thinking some sort of free-lance Ice Huntress, someone who knows the way to Blueport and can act as a guide to the party, and might equally betray them if the story requires it...

Does that sound good to you Eve, dear?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

So she would be one of the few Assys who has ventured to Blueport recently?
That sounds like a very good character for this game indeed.

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on December 26, 2013, 01:07:40 PM
So she would be one of the few Assys who has ventured to Blueport recently?
That sounds like a very good character for this game indeed.

That is pretty much what I was thinking, yes. I'm assuming that, as this is a fantasy scenario, you are willing to accept good quality art work for the character? If not, I'll see if I can find a photo, but art is so much easier for fantasy characters...

If that is the case, I will start looking, because I know a great website for artwork (And I don't mean D.A.)

RedEve

Both artwork and photographs are acceptable to me. :)

RedEve

Quote from: skyre on December 26, 2013, 01:27:59 PM
I'm not worried about asking my question. I just didn't want to jump the gun at this stage. I'm currently thinking about an older warrior from Blueport rather than Assys.
I wanted to give him a unique feature though, an idea that has been crawling around my head for some time without a means of being used in my current stories.
The feature is this: a tattoo on that is magically embued was inked onto his body as a rather painful initiation ceremony. Since his youth the ink has grown, flowed changed, recording on his skin in patterns, symbols and images a lifetime of deeds both good and bad. His people know and understand the flow of the ink, so the honour and skill of a warrior, as well as his profession, marital status and even mood are obvious to all. This has a rather unusual cultural side effect. The society of his clan does not include the concept of lies or deception. A liar would literally be given away by his tattoos.
The ink moves, flows and shifts the designs changing with his mood, the seasons and even who is looking at it.
Would you accept a character with this feature or not?
Sorry, but the lack of magic in their culture is rather an important part of what the Vikings are about in this game.
It is chief amongst their reasons for mistrusting the Assys. So a character with a magical tattoo would not really fit very well within that reality.

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on December 26, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
Sorry, but the lack of magic in their culture is rather an important part of what the Vikings are about in this game.
It is chief amongst their reasons for mistrusting the Assys. So a character with a magical tattoo would not really fit very well within that reality.

How about making him neither, but have him the last survivor of a wandering tribe of nomads who were attacked by the Pale Ones? That would also allow him to star the story with the other characters...

Quote from: RedEve on December 25, 2013, 05:10:50 AM
The game will start in Alaywin, shortly after Amargith decided to call in the assistance of the vikings.

I may be misunderstanding the intent, here, Eve, but if the story starts in Alaywin, then unless the message has already been sent to the Vikings, allowing Viking player characters is rather pointless as they aren't going to be able to post anything until the message reaches them?

Please could you clarify, as I'm basing my character on an assumption that the story starts with an expedition to Blueport. If the expedition has already been and returned, my character concept is going to be a bit different...

RedEve

The Vikings are aware of the proposed meeting. The game would start with the delegation departing for Blueport.
So the Vikings would be expecting the delegation from Alaywin. The idea is for the two groups to meet rather early on in the story.

RedEve

It is a trait that the Vikings would frown upon though, so if he has lived in Blueport, his appearance alone would have caused a lot of issues.

xPeachyPuff

I am interested in this (: I'll keep an eye out here!

- Rainbow

Chrystal

Quote from: RedEve on December 26, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
The Vikings are aware of the proposed meeting. The game would start with the delegation departing for Blueport.
So the Vikings would be expecting the delegation from Alaywin. The idea is for the two groups to meet rather early on in the story.

Ah, okay...

So it would be only a couple of day's journey at most?

By the way, I'm not totaly decided on her, but how does this lady look?

http://images2.alphacoders.com/137/137630.jpg

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on December 26, 2013, 03:20:54 PM
Ah, okay...

So it would be only a couple of day's journey at most?

By the way, I'm not totaly decided on her, but how does this lady look?

http://images2.alphacoders.com/137/137630.jpg
I would say more than a couple of days. I'd suggest a week to ten days depending on the weather conditions.

And that looks a fine likeness. :)

Crimson Caine

I'm intrigued by your concept and was considering a character from the viking side assigned to work with the delegation much to his distaste. Would the Viking culture be following a similar belief and outlook as the Viking raiders of old? Is better weapons the only thing that has changed for them?
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

RedEve

Quote from: Crimson Caine on December 26, 2013, 04:03:12 PM
I'm intrigued by your concept and was considering a character from the viking side assigned to work with the delegation much to his distaste. Would the Viking culture be following a similar belief and outlook as the Viking raiders of old? Is better weapons the only thing that has changed for them?
Actually the Assys are the ones with the superior metallurgy and weaponcraft.
The Vikings in this game would be at the level of their 9th-10th century Nordic counterparts in the real world.

xPeachyPuff

After reading through this again, I have an inkling of what kind of character I want to play. I'm thinking a female Viking from Blueport. (:

- Rainbow

MagicalPen

My character is clearly a Viking as well, perhaps a Mercenary of sorts? All depends on the makeup of the Delegation etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Crimson Caine

Quote from: RedEve on December 26, 2013, 04:06:33 PM
Actually the Assys are the ones with the superior metallurgy and weaponcraft.
The Vikings in this game would be at the level of their 9th-10th century Nordic counterparts in the real world.
Ah, ok.  I must have misread.  Nevermind on that part. ;D
Cool.  I can wrap my mind around that.  I'm thinking of a character that's the son of the chief so he's obligated to meet the delegation and work with them.  Below is my character pic idea.

The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)