The Walking Dead Season 3 Premiere

Started by Lady Grimm, October 14, 2012, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Grimm

Who caught the season 3 premiere of The Walking Dead tonight?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Oh. My. God.

Starlequin

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Lady Grimm

Yes! Amazing!

Yet, at the same time, it was totally shocking. I couldn't believe my eyes. I just sat there without blinking before the credits rolled. I don't even recognize Rick anymore...

I need episode two! I need to know what happens next!

Starlequin

Yeah, but after all he's led them through, I'm kinda glad he's hardened up a little. Rick needed a bit of Shane in him. And at the start of the ep, I was hoping that maybe the little idiot Carl had grown up some, but the bit with Beth tells me hes still gonna be a pain in everyone's ass.
And wtf were they thinking, taking their medic down into a hazard zone to clear out walkers?! Ugh, stupid. Betcha Rick'll end up killing at least a couple of the inmates, too.

Lady Grimm

That is a fair point. To be able to survive a zombie apocalypse, you can't be too soft; that particularly applies to the leader. It is best that he adopted a little Shane. Still, I totally didn't see that coming.

Ugh, I don't even want to talk about Carl. I mean, he is noticeably better than he was. Took orders from Rick without question, and his attitude seems to have improved. He has definitely matured somewhat. I have to appreciate and be thankful for that. You're right, though. He is still an annoying little s---. Lol, have you seen the 'Get Out of Here, Carl!' tumblr? If not, you should check it out. It is really quite funny.

I know, right?! He is one of the -- if not the -- biggest assets to the group. They may be slightly shorthanded, but there is no excuse to risk the medic. I mean, what Rick did will probably save Hershel, which is great, but they now have a serious problem on their hands. Yes, if Rick hadn't done it, they would have lost their medic altogether, but such a valuable member of the team is now basically immobile. It isn't like they can just go out and get a prosthetic. They'll be lucky if they can get their hands on a wheelchair, or even a set of crutches. Even then, it will seriously slow them down. Plus, wheelchairs and crutches can't exactly conquer all types of terrain.

Lady Grimm

Of course, what I've said is based on the assumption that they will have to leave at some point. I can't imagine they'll be able to stay there forever because that would be boring.

Starlequin

Nah, Hershel will probably be dead before they leave the prison. And Carol, too; that bitch went from annoying victim to 'needs to friggen die NOW' territory in the course of two episodes! And was i the only one to see the worry about a possible miscarriage zombaby? ::)

Bloody Rose

I just saw the episode and let me tell you, it was way better than a lot of earlier episodes. Rick needed to have a little shane in him like a lot of people say, it makes him strong and it makes him a leader. You cannot have leadership unless the people respects you and he needed to be strong in order for people to actually listen to him. I agree though it was a stupid idea to take the medic of the group out to hunt.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Starlequin on October 15, 2012, 01:08:57 AM
Nah, Hershel will probably be dead before they leave the prison. And Carol, too; that bitch went from annoying victim to 'needs to friggen die NOW' territory in the course of two episodes! And was i the only one to see the worry about a possible miscarriage zombaby? ::)

Ugh, don't say that! I mean, I recognize the likelihood of you being right, but I just don't want to believe it. At first, I couldn't stand how ignorant Hershel was, but by the end of the second season -- and especially in this first episode of the third -- the man has really grown on me. I don't want him to go! And it goes without saying that he is important as hell. If he dies, I'll be crushed.

On a related note, apparently the leg hacking is a major deviation from the graphic novels. I was reading earlier that it was actually supposed to be Dale who experienced lower limb loss. Of course, since that actor wanted to be written out -- I'm not sure why, I didn't really look into it -- they had to re-write it and I guess they chose Hershel. Bad choice, if you ask me. I'd have preferred seeing T-Dog get axed. Then you still have the drama without the loss of Hershel.

As for Carol, I agree. I hope she gets picked off soon. Like, honestly... What has she done for the group other than be a burden by laying around, crying, and being another mouth to feed that doesn't do f--- all or put the group in peril by being too incompetent to look after her kid, ultimately being the reason why Carl was shot and everything at the farm happened? Nothing. Other than that, she has done nothing. Hell, she nearly shot Rick in the foot while he tried to make a dash for the prison gate.

As for the zombaby, I'm totally disappointed in myself. The idea hadn't even occurred to me! It should have, but it was never something that crossed my mind. And even if I had considered zombaby scenarios, I would have probably only considered it being stillborn. My jaw dropped when Lori was all, "What if it eats me from the inside out?" Such a valid and disturbing point!

Quote from: Bloody Rose on October 15, 2012, 01:51:44 AM
I just saw the episode and let me tell you, it was way better than a lot of earlier episodes. Rick needed to have a little shane in him like a lot of people say, it makes him strong and it makes him a leader. You cannot have leadership unless the people respects you and he needed to be strong in order for people to actually listen to him. I agree though it was a stupid idea to take the medic of the group out to hunt.

You bring up an interesting point. Yes, some components of an inner Shane is a positive. He'll be able to make decisions without emotions clouding his judgement, but I disagree with what you are saying in regards to respect and other people listening to him. I mean, I'm not denying that respect is crucial in order for the group to listen, but that is the problem. If Rick crosses the line between assertive leader and cold dictator, things could go wrong. I know that I couldn't respect a leader if their decisions -- even if it was for the good of the group -- were such that they may not be the best/safest choice. If anyone in the group sees things the same way I do, and Rick becomes too much of a dictator, it could lead to tension, power struggles, and all sorts of issues.

Starlequin

Well. If I were writing it, I don't think there's anyone in the group who would attempt another mutiny, esp after seeing where it got Shane. Glenn and Daryl are the only two with any leadership qualities beside Rick. Glenn will side with Rick as long as Maggie is safe, and Daryl just doesn't care enough to try taking over. At least, he wont until Merle returns and forces him to choose sides once and for all. And according to the story notes, the writers changed the amputation from Dale to Hershel mainly just to keep the story changed up from the comics, to keep readers/viewers guessing. (And also cuz Dale already got nommed.)

Shjade

Quote from: Starlequin on October 15, 2012, 12:17:19 PM
Well. If I were writing it, I don't think there's anyone in the group who would attempt another mutiny, esp after seeing where it got Shane. Glenn and Daryl are the only two with any leadership qualities beside Rick. Glenn will side with Rick as long as Maggie is safe, and Daryl just doesn't care enough to try taking over. At least, he wont until Merle returns and forces him to choose sides once and for all. And according to the story notes, the writers changed the amputation from Dale to Hershel mainly just to keep the story changed up from the comics, to keep readers/viewers guessing. (And also cuz Dale already got nommed.)

You mean Rick, right? I don't remember Dale losing any limbs in the comic. At least not until they ran into cannibals.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Starlequin

Might've been. I've never read the comics; I was referring to the pop-up notes that played during the Talking Dead aftershow. I was sure they said Dale lost his leg in the comic, but maybe I'm misremembering because I wouldn't expect a char like Rick to acquire a handicap that severe. *shrugs*

Lady Grimm

I haven't read the comics either, but I was still under the impression that it was Dale who lost a limb. That is just what I read, anyway...

Oh, and back to that thing about Merle... You really think he is back? I know the trailer leads a person to believe that he is, but I also considered the possibility that the scene included in the trailer could be a trick. You know, another one of Daryl's daydreams sort of thing like when he was out looking for Sophia. Of course, there is a possibility that Merle is actually back, but I just cannot see how. Let's get serious for a minute! Merle was dehydrated, delirious, and desperate to the point where he cut off his own damn hand. In order for him to survive, he would have to overcome that, blood loss, and probably hunger to get his butt off of that roof -- which had to be done on some fire escape or something since the door was locked. Oh, and I forgot drug withdrawal since Rick tossed his coke. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would be up for traversing rooftops and fire escapes with a fresh injury and only one hand while undead cannibals are snapping at my heels, and I'd be much less up to it with all those other factors I mentioned thrown in, too. Not to mention his only weapon to aid him on his escape would be the limited ammo that was in his gun since (if I recall correctly) he didn't take the saw with him as a hand-to-hand combat weapon. So many people have died trying to escape under better circumstances, but Merle can survive all that? C'mon, that is crazy farfetched.

Shjade

Quote from: Starlequin on October 15, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
Might've been. I've never read the comics; I was referring to the pop-up notes that played during the Talking Dead aftershow. I was sure they said Dale lost his leg in the comic, but maybe I'm misremembering because I wouldn't expect a char like Rick to acquire a handicap that severe. *shrugs*

Rick loses a hand in the comics, but that's the only major limb impairment for most of the series. Dale does lose a leg, but it's much, much later in the series and doesn't really matter since he dies shortly thereafter - like maybe 30 pages later - and isn't related to zombie plague spread. It's because he gets captured by some cannibals who cut his leg off. To eat it. Not really the same thing, but eh, they're the writers.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Aiden

Merle seems like the survivor type, I wouldn't doubt he was able to survive hacking off his own arm and fending off the undead in order to get his pay back on rick.

Those inmates are so dead...I just know it.

Risking Hershel was stupid but I think Rick acknowledged that while he is leader, Hershel would not stand idly by while the men went off to secure supplies for the rest of the group.

I don't see what was wrong with what Carl, did, can someone remind me?

Starlequin

Quote from: Lady Grimm on October 15, 2012, 01:10:30 PM
I haven't read the comics either, but I was still under the impression that it was Dale who lost a limb. That is just what I read, anyway...

Oh, and back to that thing about Merle... You really think he is back? I know the trailer leads a person to believe that he is, but I also considered the possibility that the scene included in the trailer could be a trick. You know, another one of Daryl's daydreams sort of thing like when he was out looking for Sophia. Of course, there is a possibility that Merle is actually back, but I just cannot see how. Let's get serious for a minute! Merle was dehydrated, delirious, and desperate to the point where he cut off his own damn hand. In order for him to survive, he would have to overcome that, blood loss, and probably hunger to get his butt off of that roof -- which had to be done on some fire escape or something since the door was locked. Oh, and I forgot drug withdrawal since Rick tossed his coke. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would be up for traversing rooftops and fire escapes with a fresh injury and only one hand while undead cannibals are snapping at my heels, and I'd be much less up to it with all those other factors I mentioned thrown in, too. Not to mention his only weapon to aid him on his escape would be the limited ammo that was in his gun since (if I recall correctly) he didn't take the saw with him as a hand-to-hand combat weapon. So many people have died trying to escape under better circumstances, but Merle can survive all that? C'mon, that is crazy farfetched.
If a comatose man can wake up and escape a hospital filled with zombies despite almost certainly suffering muscle atrophy, being unarmed and wearing nothing but a hospital gown...

If a fat guy from Brooklyn can survive and outrun a zombie horde...

If a bunch of civilians can score continuous head shots on zombies from a moving car...

Then I'm willing to bet that a pissed off, meth headed, redneck survivalist could hold his own for a pretty good stretch.

Besides, even if  Merle IS dead, Daryl is still gonna have to come to terms with his memory. Ghosts and regrets can be powerful char motivaters, after all.

@Aiden: eh, its not that theres anything wrong with Carl, but the way he acted around Beth when they were in her bunk and the look she shared with Hershel after he left just screams out 'Impending Puberty-Related Awkwardness, Take Cover!'. All the crap they're going through, and now they'll have to put up with puppy love, too.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Starlequin on October 15, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
If a comatose man can wake up and escape a hospital filled with zombies despite almost certainly suffering muscle atrophy, being unarmed and wearing nothing but a hospital gown...

If a fat guy from Brooklyn can survive and outrun a zombie horde...

If a bunch of civilians can score continuous head shots on zombies from a moving car...

Then I'm willing to bet that a pissed off, meth headed, redneck survivalist could hold his own for a pretty good stretch.

Besides, even if  Merle IS dead, Daryl is still gonna have to come to terms with his memory. Ghosts and regrets can be powerful char motivaters, after all.

Touche, my good sir. Touche.

Okay, so maybe I'm a little out of context. All the characters and their ability to survive are perhaps slightly improbable. Merle just seems to have more things working against him, you know? Even if he's a ballsy, redneck survivalist.

LaCroix

I might be in the minority here about my opinion of Rick but...

While I'm glad he's hardened up somewhat, I kind of hate to see how -drastically- he has changed. Other than Dale, Rick was the groups last shred of humanity. He was always trying to do the right thing even when that way of thinking, arguably, no longer has a place in a world full of the Walking Dead. Still, it was nice seeing him trying to be an honorable man while at the same time struggling with the -hard- choices that had to be made for the good of the group. That kind of character depth, to me, is one reason why the show has been so amazing up to this point.

That being said, I loved the episode and I can't wait to see what will happen next. Thank God season 3 is finally here, but I'm already jonsesing for episode two, hard.
Mickey Mouse's birthday being announced on the television news as if it were an actual event! I don't give a shit! If I cared about Mickey Mouse's birthday I would have memorized it years ago! And I'd send him a card, 'Dear Mickey, Happy Birthday, Love George'. I don't do that, why, don't give a shit! Fuck Mickey Mouse! Fuck him in the ass with a big rubber dick! Then break it off and beat him with it!

Starlequin

So why not have both? There's no reason he can't be a bit hardassed to protect the group, and still do what's right. The hardest part of leading is maintaining unity, whether through love, hate, fear or self-interest; now that Rick finally has everyone (mostly) moving together, he can work on guiding them in the right direction. Besides, the bright side to 'losing' humanity is that it can be regained later.

bubby

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Ravenchild on October 15, 2012, 01:51:35 PM
I might be in the minority here about my opinion of Rick but...

While I'm glad he's hardened up somewhat, I kind of hate to see how -drastically- he has changed. Other than Dale, Rick was the groups last shred of humanity. He was always trying to do the right thing even when that way of thinking, arguably, no longer has a place in a world full of the Walking Dead. Still, it was nice seeing him trying to be an honorable man while at the same time struggling with the -hard- choices that had to be made for the good of the group. That kind of character depth, to me, is one reason why the show has been so amazing up to this point.

That being said, I loved the episode and I can't wait to see what will happen next. Thank God season 3 is finally here, but I'm already jonsesing for episode two, hard.

I know what you're saying. I agree. He may be too much on the other end of the spectrum now, but I suppose I sort of understand it. He is feeling a whole lot of pressure because of how Lori is getting so far along in her pregnancy. Finding a secure place to hold up for as long as possible is paramount to him, and it is also something immensely difficult. They are running out of time to sit back and make the most ethical decisions in a world where morals barely even apply.

Furthermore, he probably still isn't over the craziness of the whole Shane thing. It would take quite an emotional toll on you if the person you were best friends with since childhood starts banging your wife, knocks her up (potentially), and then tries to kill him. And then of course since he can't take it out on Shane since he's dead, he takes it out on Lori, and I can understand why he is doing it more and more... With a child on the way that is potentially Shane's, it must be a tough reality to face, even if they'll never know whose kid it actually is.

I feel you there. As soon as the episode ended, I was going nuts. I need episode two.

SinXAzgard21

See spoiler.

So, I don't know if this was brought up in the comics or explained elsewhere in an interview, but since the human race is infected with this virus that turns them into walkers upon death....  Why cut off Hershel's leg considering that wound was not entirely fatal?  I believe that cutting his leg off did more harm than good in this situation.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 16, 2012, 12:03:19 AM
See spoiler.

So, I don't know if this was brought up in the comics or explained elsewhere in an interview, but since the human race is infected with this virus that turns them into walkers upon death....  Why cut off Hershel's leg considering that wound was not entirely fatal?  I believe that cutting his leg off did more harm than good in this situation.

I haven't read the graphic novels or seen many interviews, so I don't know if the answer is there. I do, however, have my own hypothesis for this. It seems to be that a person who has not been bitten carries the virus within them until death, at which point they will be reanimated by the virus. If a person is bit, however, the injury -- no matter whether it was damage to a major artery or just a small graze -- is fatal. Perhaps the passing of the virus through saliva or something triggers the virus to become active. Since the injury kills them, the virus then reanimates them. So yeah, since Hershel was bit, there was no escaping the inevitable death, and Rick figured just cutting it off was a logical and possibly effective option. Probably something that was considered before, but was never worth trying. After all, it isn't about saving Hershel, it is about ensuring someone with medical knowledge being around to deliver his baby.

Starlequin

The virus remains dormant in a host body until either the host dies or makes intravenous contact with live viral cells via a bite or bloody scratch from a walker, whereupon the virus amplifies and the victim turns. Best chance to prevent the spread of the live virus is amputation of an infected limb before it can completely spread throughout the host's body. Bitten+not amputated in time=turned.

Edit: damn slow-ass thumb typing keypad! Ninja'd by Lady G, lol.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Starlequin on October 16, 2012, 12:15:38 AM
Edit: damn slow-ass thumb typing keypad! Ninja'd by Lady G, lol.

Hehe! Sorry, love. I'm a quick one! Just can't resist jumping in on zombie good time discussion. :P