New planet 300 times the size of earth

Started by darkvamplips, May 25, 2010, 12:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on June 25, 2010, 04:08:33 AM
At this point in time... we just dont know. There certainly are theories ranging from the fantastic (like hyperdrive and warp drive from star wars and star trek) which just break the limit with superscience; to something semi-plausible like wormholes or "slip bubbles".

Im sure Im gutting the correct explainations, but with wormholes, you basically tear a hole in the universe and hop into it. "How's that make travel faster?" Use this analogy: take a piece of string and hold it tight at both ends in both hands. Travel in our universe would take place along that line from your left to your right hand. Now take both hands and bring them together without letting go of the string, letting it sag. Now make an imaginary line between your hands. The wormhole is that "imaginary line". Much shorter 'relative distance' compared to the actual distance in space. I still get headaches trying to get my head around that. :P

Slip bubbles are something new and probably the closest analogy in media is Mass Effect's Relays. You encase the spacecraft in a field of energy and basically set it in subspace. Due to polarity mumbo-jumbo that I have no idea how to explain clearly, the space in front of the craft is less dense than the space behind it. The spacecraft then proceeds to "fall into that less dense space", getting scary fast and since it's subspace, your not technically breaking real space laws...

Besides us as a species not knowing how to use these technologies in the first place, the power required to push something like the American space shuttles through them requires an energy output on the magnitude of our Sun

Quote from: Paradox on June 25, 2010, 09:12:36 AM
Do the aforementioned "slip bubbles" have a more scientific name? I cannot seem to find anything about them; however, I did find some women wearing bubble wrap >_>

No, seriously, what are those "slip-bubbles"? I'd appreciate an answer, as I'm rather curious to learn more about them.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

The bit about the spaceship 'falling' bears some similarity to the slingshot effect that we already use with interplanetary launches.  Of course, to keep it going, you'd basically have to have a portable gravitational well - perhaps even a portable black hole - to let you go where you wanted to, instead of just where the gravity well happened to be.

I haven't seen anything as specific as what NotoriousBEN describes, though.

EDIT:  I should really learn to Google before hitting 'Post'.  Is this what you're talking about BEN?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Leo

Can I has intergalactic travel plx?  ;D *runs around with a grin on his face, saliva dripping from his mouth*

Too much science for my tired mind... But I loved reading that.
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

NotoriusBEN

yes, oniya. that is *exactly* what I was looking for with the whole "slip bubble" thing.  oh and M-theory... not Nth theory... woops :P

ugh... and I see that the article is by Bob Lazar... >.<

Leo

You know, you could basically build a prison somewhere in our solar system, put it in a slip bubble. The slip bubble would be moved close to earth when convicts are to be transferred there, burst the bubble to take convicts, then envelope the ship with it again and move it where it would come back in the core of a planet... just so prisoners do not attempt to temper with the "engine" in an attempt to get back to this universe and back to earth if they don't want to destroy the whole prison and everything in it. The prison would have the machinery to sustain an artificial ecological system and all since I'm being ridiculously fictional here.

As for the biggest question... Why the hell would anyone build a prison like that? Well, if you have the technology to do things in style, why the hell not?! :D

Oniya

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on June 27, 2010, 08:10:58 PM
yes, oniya. that is *exactly* what I was looking for with the whole "slip bubble" thing.  oh and M-theory... not Nth theory... woops :P

ugh... and I see that the article is by Bob Lazar... >.<

I don't know Bob Lazar from Adam, but even a bad article can provide a jumping off point for future searches.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

NotoriusBEN

yes, all ideas can help spawn jumping off points for other ideas. I just dont care for Lazar because he uses "wonder materials and alien sciences" that we dont have here on earth like element 115 (insert XCOM joke with elerium 115). Now if we do come across a pile of Ununpentium or some benevolent lobsters decide to help us out... well, a bunch of scientists will be diminishing the crow population :P

darkvamplips

@Leo I was very interested in your idea about the bubble. Another reason would they would never be able to break out of jail. Very good idea wonder if there will ever be something like that in the future.

As for everyone else I am glad you are taking a liking to this. Thanks for reading guys.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

Leo

Ah, I am always up for science -even if I can't understand it sometimes.