Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Roleplaying Game

Started by Kunoichi, July 26, 2013, 01:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

The green Ability dice and yellow Proficiency dice both have successes and advantages on them, while the purple Difficulty dice and red Challenge dice both have failures and threats on them.  Triumph and Despair are especially potent results that are only available on, respectively, the Proficiency and Challenge dice.  The blue Boost dice and black Setback dice can add successes or failures, as well, but are more likely to add advantage or threat, respectively.

Also, the GM doesn't have to roll the negative dice.  You can just tell the players what the difficulty is and let them do all the rolling, if you want.

I haven't had time to read in-depth on the Force rules yet, unfortunately. ^^; I know that you can roll light side dots or dark side dots on the Force die, and that you can activate your force powers by spending these dots, but I don't know too much beyond that.

Chris Brady

OH!  There's also a Dark/Light Side pool for the adventure, the number of dice rolled is dependent on players at the table, and it doesn't matter if any of them are Force Sensitive or not.

And that pool is for when you want rerolls or the like.  However, because it's randomly rolled, you can end up with no or only Dark Side points and Dark Side are GM only.

HOWEVER, once you (as in all the players, including GM) use a Force Point, it switches to the opposite.  So Dark goes to Light, Light goes to Dark.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Yeah, that's called the Destiny Pool. ^^ You don't really use it for rerolls, though.  Instead, players can use light side destiny points to upgrade their green dice to yellow dice, or to declare certain things for the scene.  I think the example given is one where the group goes to a mine and finds it flooded with poisonous gases, and one of the players spends a destiny point and goes 'Well, good thing you packed those rebreathers in right before we left the spaceport, eh?'.

GMs can use dark side destiny points to upgrade purple dice to red dice, as well, and when a point on one side is used it gets flipped over to the other side, like Chris said, so it makes for an interesting balancing act.

Chris Brady

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

And I wanna play it. ><; It's too bad you don't have the core rulebook at the moment.

Chris Brady

I have the beta book, and all the updates until Week 11.  Not sure what's different in the release copy.

Kunoichi

I don't have the beta book or any of the updates to compare, either.  Maybe we'll get lucky and more people will check out the system for themselves...

Chris Brady

Too bad Lucasfilms (before they got eaten by Disney) has a no PDF clause in their licenses.  I'll just have to figure out how to save up for a hardcopy.

Kunoichi

True, having a PDF file for sale online would make it a lot cheaper and easier to purchase.  Maybe Disney will retract that policy at some point...

Chris Brady

Not likely, they believe that electronic forms of media are worth a different license.  And I THINK (I could be wrong here) that they believe that it falls under the same as their video game license (which If I remember correctly use the term electronic media, which as you can see, PDFs would technically fall under.)

I could be wrong, I heard that information 3rd hand and have no way to corroborate it.

Kunoichi

Ah, I see.  That's too bad, then.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem to stop fan-made PDFs from coming out. ^^ For example, there's this nice little resource called the Unofficial Species Menagerie that has a number of the various Star Wars races statted up for use as PCs.  Since there are only 8 races available for play in the core rules, it's a pretty useful collection.

I had fun making a Jawa Technician recently using the listed stats, for example. ;D

Chris Brady

I believe there will be an official book on new races as well.  Remember they just released it.

Personally, I want a gear book.  I want to make a Boba Fett style suit for Bounty Hunters, for example.

Kunoichi

Well, they've got jetpacks and the armor itself already, and presumably adding on a little cortosis plating would be good for that extra durability, along with maybe some vacuum sealing and enhanced sensors...  I will agree that it's a bit lacking in integrated weaponry, though, like netguns and flamethrowers and so on.

From what I've heard of their planned expansions, the first thing we'll be getting are books for each of the individual careers, with Explorers getting the first one.  New specializations, races, ships, gear...  All Explorer-oriented, but that just means you'll get all the awesome Boba Fett-level gear you might want in the eventual Bounty Hunter book. ^^

Chris Brady

Kunoichi

By the way, any luck digging up that beta copy?

Chris Brady

Kunoichi

Yeah, I'd say speak is a close enough verb. :P We're having a conversation, at least.

So...  Still feel like running a game? ^^;

Chris Brady

Kunoichi

Well, I feel like playing in one, so if you want to run one...  Well, the math is clear. ^^;

Chris Brady

The issue is... How?  And solo game or more players?

Kunoichi

Well, on the boards would always be an option, though I'm willing to try other alternatives if you've got any ideas.  And I'd certainly love to try a group game for this, though I'm willing to go solo if we can't get any other people interested.

HairyHeretic

I'd be willing to give it a go, though I don't know the rules.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kunoichi

The rules are fairly easy to pick up as you go. ^^ Character creation is a little more in-depth, but I'm willing to help out with that.

Chris Brady

Once I have everything, I'll put up a request post in the adult section.

Kunoichi

Yay. ^^

Ah, and for my character for this game, would it be okay to use one of the species from the Unofficial Species Menagerie that I linked to earlier?  I've got a Jawa Technician character already made that I think I'd very much enjoy playing. ^^;