[Interest Check] Planetary -- Superheroes -- Explore the Weird!

Started by Raveled, December 07, 2009, 03:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raveled

A friend of mine recently turned me on to Warren Ellis's Planetary series, and it seems to be the perfect setting for a game.  I'd love to gather a few other of E's denizens to explore the weird and fantastic world that exists just behind the world that most folks take for granted.

Anyone up for this? 8-)
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

HairyHeretic

Maybe you could provide a bit of a blurb about the setting for those not familiar with it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kolbrandr

Tsunami

i would be real interested actually ... but yea i would need a setting kind of thing and would it be freeform or wha?
To boldly go where no one wants too!!!!

Cold Heritage

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 07, 2009, 03:38:31 PM
Maybe you could provide a bit of a blurb about the setting for those not familiar with it.

It was ostensibly set in the Wildstorm universe, which is a lot like the DC universe, only GRITTY AND EXTREME, but it hardly ever intersected in any meaningful way. You could just assume that Planetary operates in a generic superhero universe where there is all kinds of weird and wonderful things happening out of sight of mere mortals.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Chaos

Would you be looking for people to play the canon characters, or would we be making our own? Also, what level of adult content would be in this game? I'm interested in the concept, certainly... it's a brilliant series, and could be a great game setting.

Raveled

The basic idea of Planetary is that there are weird and wild things that happen just behind the veil of the everyday, and the PCs are superpowered individuals who seek these things out; perhaps to exploit them, perhaps to protect them, but mostly because they are there.  This doesn't have to be Wildstorm, and I really don't want OCs; what's the fun of playing someone else's character?

I think freeform would be the easiest, unless someone else wants to GM -- you do not want me to GM something.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Kolbrandr

AthenaNude

I read the first 8 issues of this series some time ago.  Not a bad series, I enjoyed the spoofs they did of various characters and themes, however it never quite seemed to find it's place. 

If you enjoyed Planetary you might also look into a series called Top Ten (which is very over-the-top.  For starters, everyone in the world has super-powers right off the bat!), the Authority (which goes several steps beyond Planetary), or even a series called the Filth (which makes the Authority look like a Sunday School book).