Haunted house - Interest check

Started by Roleplay Frog, April 07, 2012, 10:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roleplay Frog

Introduction: A haunted house setting with an explorative twirl, loosely inspired by the Ghostmaster game http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg6/scaled.php?server=6&filename=ghostmaster.jpg&res=landing

Type of setting: Freeform

Style: Dark Fantasy/horror

Idea in a nutshell: A haunted mansion, players can either be ghosts fighting for supremacy, or humans fighting for survival.

Idea in detail:
A group of people come to examine the famous Silvers mansion: (ala Rose Red
The group consists of several mixed interest groups.. A heir of the silvers family inherited the family property, together with several strange rumous from a distant aunt, perhaps bringing one or two assessors .. even if this house wasn't as creepy he/she would never plan to live in there.
Furthermore there is another way to make money out of the house, a group of young filmmakers want to make an amateur documentary about the house and it's insides.

What none of them know is that the curse, and even the wildest of rumours, are understatements. There are several ghosts, independently having found home in the cursed house, even they not knowing what truly attracted them.. but knowing the ever existant danger, after the house has been empty for so long. The only thing a ghost fears.. being forgotten. Fading away.

-Mechanics: I'd hope for at least 4 human players(propably myself taking a spot here) and at least 3 ghosts. Humans have no specific abilities.. though perhaps they find something useful while exploring the depths of the house.., Ghosts have abilities related to their deaths(example below). However, each ghost is loosely related to their death, be it the way they died or the place they died, they can never move freely. Two ghosts attempting to occupy the same space drive each other away, like same pole magnets.
However, the ghosts are now weakened, and almost insubstantial, their only way of becoming 'real' again is by scaring mortals.. or  molesting .. errr having physical contact with them.
If you manage to prevent the mortals from escaping you can scare them a lot.. but be careful to not overdo it.. you don't want to have-more- competition, do you?

Example ghost: Jimmy the drowned puppy. - As an animal ghost he has limited intelligence but a superior sense of smell. no hiding from him. His abiliites involve the way of his death and his form in life, he was a dog, and can appear as cute puppy, he can control water, cause dripping from the ceilings, wet pawprints to appear out of nowhere, water faucets to malfunction, and later on could be able to flood an entire room. He can also appear in a wilder ghost beast shape with additional assets for those interested in bestiality. Finally he can control the weather and similiar things.
As a price for his dual nature he is bound to sources of liquid, he can't move freely but only appear wherever liquid is within the house or it's surrounding garden, not counting the blood of the humans for balance reasons.

Goal of the game: The goal of the humans is to survive, explore the houses secret, and find either a way out, or a way to exorcise the ghosts.

The goal of the ghosts is to scare the humans to restore themselfs, explore the houses secret, prevent the humans from exorcising them and drive the humans insane with fear without killing them/take them as pets.

-Post here if interested, having questions or suggestions. I hope this didn't come over too darkish. for humans just pick a role you like, we can talk about other roles(gardener, police, whatever), for ghosts just use your imagination, make sure to write up a basic idea for your ghosts abilities and a basic restriction to where they can appear and I can say yay, or nay.
Hope we get enough interested to get this going, I think it could be fun -

Deva

summoner2183

Meliai

I'd be interested in playing one of the human visitors, but I'm a bit wary of a game of this sort with no apparent GM.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Roleplay Frog

Miyu

I am in as a human visitor if you let me

Meliai

Quote from: Deva on April 07, 2012, 12:53:26 PM
Hmn? Whatcha mean?

Well it sounds like part of the goal for the humans is finding their way around the manor and collecting things to help them escape or fend off the ghosts. Without a GM to direct that aspect things could easily get really confusing really quickly.

There's also the issue that with a relatively small group and with both the humans and ghosts controlled by players things will have to be timed and cooridinated carefully or any time one pair(or trio or whatever) finishes a scene there's a good chance they'll have to just sort of sit around and wait until another group finishes their scene so new characters can interact, whereas a GM could bring in or take out NPC ghosts as needed.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Miyu on April 07, 2012, 01:32:12 PM
I am in as a human visitor if you let me
sure sure, 1 human coming up!

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Meliai on April 07, 2012, 02:19:21 PM
Well it sounds like part of the goal for the humans is finding their way around the manor and collecting things to help them escape or fend off the ghosts. Without a GM to direct that aspect things could easily get really confusing really quickly.

There's also the issue that with a relatively small group and with both the humans and ghosts controlled by players things will have to be timed and cooridinated carefully or any time one pair(or trio or whatever) finishes a scene there's a good chance they'll have to just sort of sit around and wait until another group finishes their scene so new characters can interact, whereas a GM could bring in or take out NPC ghosts as needed.

And there is no GM becauseeee? I'd do the set up, propably playing as the heir, unless someone really wants the position, preparing the descriptions and so on, as well as approving the characters and throwing around the plot, what more do you want?

Yes, there is a chance that people have to wait for other players. And if I'd GM the ghosts as well there'd be a chance that people would have to wait for -me- what is your point? By allowing players to play ghosts I make the interaction easier not harder.

Meliai

You said you'd be taking one of the PC spots but made no mention of GMing so I assumed you were only playing the PC.

Thanks for addressing my concerns but I think I'll be bowing out.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}