Note: Don't go on the internet too much in China...

Started by consortium11, August 05, 2009, 06:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8185412.stm

QuoteA Chinese teenager sent to an internet addiction rehabilitation camp has allegedly been beaten to death by its counsellors, according to reports.

A number of employees of the Qihang Salvation Training Camp in Nanning have been arrested over the death, his father Deng Fei told the Global Times.

The camp had promised to put Deng Senshan, 15, under 24-hour supervision.

China is increasingly taking action against what it sees as a pandemic of web addiction.

Some estimates suggest up to 10% of the country's 100 million teenage web users could be addicted, and a growing number of rehabilitation services exist.

However, there is little consensus on how to treat the addiction. In July, China's Ministry of Health formally banned the use of electroshock therapy as a treatment option.

According to the China Daily newspaper, an agreement the teenagers' parents signed with the camp said: "The centre can take necessary approaches including punishment to educate the teenager, as long as the approaches will not abuse the child or impair his health."

Camp staff are alleged to have put the teenager in solitary confinement on Saturday and then beaten him that evening

:o

It took them till July to ban electro-shock to "treat" people who go online too much?

Marguerite

Beaten to death for going online too much?

-Shakes head-

Then would I get rocked to death for going online for YouTube?
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

RubySlippers

Its sad but its an internal Chinese matter and not the concern of at least the United States government, really if they are in there nation they must obey that nations laws.

Serephino

That's China for ya.....  There's another thread on here about human rights, and China is a good example of a country way behind on that.  I'm not a big fan of the country.

A few months back they limited net access to three hours a day.  Anyone that plays an online game must register their account so they can be monitored.  Can you imagine what would happen if the US gov did that? 

The Overlord

Quote from: Chaotic Angel on August 05, 2009, 08:44:23 PM

A few months back they limited net access to three hours a day.  Anyone that plays an online game must register their account so they can be monitored.  Can you imagine what would happen if the US gov did that? 

Just open your window up and listen to the sound of the shooting outside. I’d be one of them out there doing it.

China surely has a big military, but look at the size of the population it polices. I tend to wonder just how far the government there has to go before the nation gets sick and tired of the shit and goes on the rampage en masse?

jouzinka

I don't think China will ever reach that. Just remember the bloody, bloody, terror when there were demonstrations for free Tibet... two years ago, was it?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

ShrowdedPoet

I would be dead, so would my husband, both my brothers, both my sisters, my mom, my dad, my brother in law, my mother and father in law etc. . . . . .  The only person in my family who would not be murdered would be my son who is too young to even use a keyboard, my grandmother who can't figure out how to use a mouse, and maybe my daughter. . .though she watches cartoons with me online. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Mathim

You'd think China would want to keep their massive population fat and happy...the less people think about things for themselves, the more sedentary and lazy they become, the less likely they will be to rebel. This is actually putting fuel on a slowly smoking blaze.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Zakharra

Quote from: Mathim on August 06, 2009, 12:10:26 PM
You'd think China would want to keep their massive population fat and happy...the less people think about things for themselves, the more sedentary and lazy they become, the less likely they will be to rebel. This is actually putting fuel on a slowly smoking blaze.

Except they don't want the people getting any ideas that they don't approve of. Thoughts like freedom and the people controling the government. Rights to do things. Dangerous ideas for the government.

Miasma

Quote from: Zakharra on August 06, 2009, 11:38:27 PM
Except they don't want the people getting any ideas that they don't approve of. Thoughts like freedom and the people controling the government. Rights to do things. Dangerous ideas for the government.

Oh China, you Orwellian regime you.

SleepyWei

Quote from: Miasma on August 07, 2009, 12:18:01 AM
Oh China, you Orwellian regime you.

If you've watched the animated version of his Animal Farm, I'm rooting for something like the very end in it.

Oniya

Obviously, that differed from the book's ending...  ???
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Mathim on August 06, 2009, 12:10:26 PM

China has been fanning that slowly smoking blaze at least since Tiananmen Square. Once it bursts into flames they'll have a mighty dilemma on their hands. The only way to ultimately stop the entire torqued off population is to use WMD's on them, and destroying a thing to control a thing isn't a good plan.

Plus, willing to bet how many nations might be content to sit on the sidelines when it goes down?

Zakharra

It depends how it goes down. Scattered disorder they will put down. It would take a concentrated effort of the people to standup to this and win. It's likely the nations of the world would not interfer. Unless China used chemical weapons like mustard gas, I cannot see the nations doing more than protesting from the sidelines.

The Overlord

If it was a big enough and concentrated uprising, it occurs to me it would be an interesting time to stage a full preemptive strike on China.

Not that I am condoning or suggesting any particular course of action…just saying.

Zakharra

And earn the condemnation of every nation in the world? Won't happen. No nation would ever do that. Not after the anal reaming the US got for Iraq.

The Overlord

I really don't ever like to use the word won't across the board, the winds of geopolitics can shift like a squall at sea when given a catalyst. And I'm not implying necessarily US, as in the United States. A growing China that might need to expand its borders to survive is actually geographically closer to and a greater threat to a few other major nations that could give it one hell of a fight, namely Russia and India.

At the end of the day, I believe in the Chinese people. Like most nations they just want to survive and thrive and have a quality of life. As for the Chinese leadership, I don't trust that...

Zakharra

If China stayed within it's own borders, the world would do nothing militarily. If it moves outside of them, then yes. Action would be taken. Right now, the most likely senario I see is China 'annexing' N. Korea. Most of the world would not bat an eye at that.  Taiwan.. is more problematoic since the US is bound by treaty to support and defend it. Any President that doesn't, will be ripped.

consortium11

The US can't (and won't) allow anything particulary negative to happen to China, and certainly won't allow it to break up. China's control of the t-bills is the economic age's version of mutually assured destruction.

Zakharra

Quote from: consortium11 on August 08, 2009, 06:17:27 AM
The US can't (and won't) allow anything particulary negative to happen to China, and certainly won't allow it to break up. China's control of the t-bills is the economic age's version of mutually assured destruction.

Well if China becomes involved in a civil war, there's not a lot anyone can do about it to stop it. A war of aggression would be harder to stop since the US's advantage of naval apower would be negated since China's likely to ger in a land war. Also, China is building it's navey to confront the US Navy, so there'd be casualties in that arena. Over all though, in a land war. There's nothing the US could do to stop China militarily.

consortium11

Quote from: Zakharra on August 08, 2009, 10:30:50 AM
Well if China becomes involved in a civil war, there's not a lot anyone can do about it to stop it. A war of aggression would be harder to stop since the US's advantage of naval apower would be negated since China's likely to ger in a land war. Also, China is building it's navey to confront the US Navy, so there'd be casualties in that arena. Over all though, in a land war. There's nothing the US could do to stop China militarily.

The chances of China ever having a large scale civil war are tiny. The areas that present the most issues are those with ethnic minorities... and China is perfectly happy to march the army (generally made up of the majority) in and take control of the area. While there's an obvious economic imbalance between the urban and rural areas it's been well managed.

And the point remains... the US HAS to make sure China survives. Any talk of anything approaching conventional warfare between the two is pointless; China would either stop buying or reclaim treasury notes and crash the US (and possibly the world). However, doing so would screw itself, hence mutually assured destruction... but still something the US can't risk.

The Overlord

Quote from: Zakharra on August 08, 2009, 10:30:50 AM

You're joking, right?

The past half century the US military has fine-tuned itself to inflict the absolutely horrific casualties that would be needed to drag a large military force to a stop, namely the former regiments of the USSR, the fight which thankfully never went down.

We’ve downsized, we’ve angled military assets to fight smaller and even low-tech engagements, such as the ‘war on terror’. But don’t believe for a second we couldn’t engage and kill a Russian or Chinese-sized military. We could bleed Red China white if it went on the march across Asia, or further.

Zakharra

Quote from: The Overlord on August 09, 2009, 03:07:49 AM
You're joking, right?

The past half century the US military has fine-tuned itself to inflict the absolutely horrific casualties that would be needed to drag a large military force to a stop, namely the former regiments of the USSR, the fight which thankfully never went down.

We’ve downsized, we’ve angled military assets to fight smaller and even low-tech engagements, such as the ‘war on terror’. But don’t believe for a second we couldn’t engage and kill a Russian or Chinese-sized military. We could bleed Red China white if it went on the march across Asia, or further.

I'm not joking. In a naval war, we would win, with  possibly large casualties  on out side militarily before defeating the Chinese navy for their eventual takeover of Taiwan. The Chinese Navy has been building up to be able to confront the US Navy. Our aircraft carriers would be one of the first targets.  The -only- military assests we have that can attack China is the Navy. The Army and Airforce do not have the capability (except for the long range bombers of the AF) to touch or even reach China.

The Chinese military would try to bleed the US Navy, and that's not discounting the net attacks that would result of any US intervention. 

If China marched west across Asia, we couldn't stop them. Hurt yes. Stop? I doubt it unless massive amounts of troops and arms were moved forward. Although Afghanistan might be a fighting area with US troops already there.

Remember, if we did intervene, they'd cripple the comminucation and computer networks. As much as we might tout ourselves as a superpower, China is an emerging one and  is taking a long view of things. We are the foremost opponent in their eyes.

The Overlord

Quote from: Zakharra on August 09, 2009, 03:32:59 AM
We are the foremost opponent in their eyes.

And the one that’s going to end them utterly if they don’t play the cards correctly. That long view will get them dead, if it’s not tempered by that alleged 6000-year legacy of Chinese wisdom.

If they’re smart, then they’ll realize they can’t win a war with the US but at the price of themselves. They could succeed in destroying America, but America will take them down with her. If they’re wise at all, any ventures outside their own borders will be weighed against this specter.

Of course America does not reside in Asia…but a lot of other nations do. Consider how Russia, India and Japan might take to China running rampant across the continent. Even if the US couldn’t stop them alone, and we can, it wouldn’t just be us.

Zakharra

Quote from: The Overlord on August 09, 2009, 03:57:36 AM
And the one that’s going to end them utterly if they don’t play the cards correctly. That long view will get them dead, if it’s not tempered by that alleged 6000-year legacy of Chinese wisdom.

If they’re smart, then they’ll realize they can’t win a war with the US but at the price of themselves. They could succeed in destroying America, but America will take them down with her. If they’re wise at all, any ventures outside their own borders will be weighed against this specter.

Of course America does not reside in Asia…but a lot of other nations do. Consider how Russia, India and Japan might take to China running rampant across the continent. Even if the US couldn’t stop them alone, and we can, it wouldn’t just be us.

China wouldn't care. If they could wreck our long range naval projection in the Pacific, they'd be satisfied with that I think. WE might think they know they couldn't survive a war against us, and that it'd be stupid, but the Chinese culture is different than the Western/American one. In ways that are alien. What makes sense to us, doesn't to them. Their outlook isn't ours.  They simply might not care. A form of population control if it comes to that?

Also any war depends if nukes are involved. If none are used, China will survive much better than without them. As would the US of course, but our image as a super power would be shattered.

Out of the nations you listed, Russia is the only one that could put up a good fight to China. Japan hasn't enough of a military to worry about and if they did try something, a large number of missiles might come flying their way as payback for the Japanese occupation in the 1930's and early '40's.

India? They have more to worry about from Pakistan and Bangladesh, unless China crosses over the border if India.

Russia would only get involved if their territory was invaded. Otherwise I don't see them intervining militarily. Now I could see them using the confusion of the situation to send 'aid' to several nations that were former Soviet satellites to help 'secure and defend' those lands. A take over, so to speak.