M looking for good story

Started by yobo, September 23, 2013, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobo

After spending some time away from this site it's time to dip my toes back into writing. This will probably forever be a work in progress, but hopefully you will find something here that will pique your interest. Anything hidden behind a spoiler is something I'm not actively looking to write at the moment, but if it is something you really want to do feel free to try and talk me into it. I'm not promising a yes though.

My style and what I expect from a roleplay partner.

I do love a good story, and I am looking for a proper story in my roleplays as a general rule. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, and sometimes I might want to scratch a certain itch and focus more on the smutty parts than the story. Us both playing more than one main character, as well as several NPCs, is something I love. That really makes it possible for me to immerse myself in the roleplay to a much larger degree. This is not a must though. I also don't mind being the GM for the right partner. As for post length, I do both shorter replies and several big paragraphs, depending on the roleplay. My post length depends on what is going on in the roleplay, and what I am given by my partner. If I get several paragraphs filled with details you will not get a short reply in return, but if I get a short post you probably won't be getting a very long post in return either, so I tend to give what I get.

My posting schedule can be a bit erratic. With work and hobbies, I tend to spend a lot of time away from home, and I don't always bring a computer where I can access E. So sometimes you might have to wait a bit for a post, but other times I can write several posts a day. I will do my best to keep my partners updated if there won't be any posts coming in the near future though.

Also, communication is key. If we can't communicate the roleplay probably isn't going to last very long. We don't have to talk OOC (even if I do love getting to know my partners), but we have to be able to talk about the roleplay, what we want to happen etc. But as long as you are friendly, willing to make an effort, and don't mind bringing your own ideas to the table, I'm pretty sure we will get along great. :-)

You can find more information in my On/Off-thread.

yobo

ORIGINAL IDEAS

The Road Trip

Going on a road trip is one of my favourite settings, I just love the idea of the open road and a group of friends looking for a good time. What I have in mind is a group of friends around twenty years of age going for a road trip in the United States, Europe or Australia. They will meet people and they will get up to all kinds of mischief. They will be getting high, they will go skinny dipping, they will hook up with people they will never see again and they will have a great time. Sounds like fun, yeah? Then let's head out on the open road while singing to our favourite tune.

I am looking for someone who wants to build on this and create a story that will be fun to explore.

The Strip Game

This could be any kind of strip game, and it could happen in one night or be an on-going thing. Strip poker, truth or dare, strip billiard etc., almost anything goes. Maybe a group of friends are bored and decides to make the game of monopoly more interesting? Maybe there is a TV-show based around playing strip Trivial Pursuit live, where the winner is the one who doesn't end up naked? Maybe there is this Discord-server with an on-going game with real-world consequences?  Let's get creative and see what we can come up with.

A College Theatre Production

This idea is inspired by the Norwegian student comedy musical "Gullstrupen." The basic plot is a young student who has to choose what of her two talents she will make into a career, singing or blowjobs. There was a lot of talk and promise of sexual acts in the play, leading to a lot of coverage in the media, before the end result wasn't all that shocking after all.

So, over to my idea. I want to write a story where a script like this is being written and then performed, basically going through all the stages from having the script for the play to actually setting the play up at a theatre. The location will be a liberal-minded American college (it can be set in a different country as well, but that is the kind of vibe I am looking for), but such a production would naturally stir up some controversy. Starting with the student writer(s) having written a play (maybe it started out as a writing experiment or a joke, and it just turned into a good play) they want to produce. They have to find funding, actors and actresses, some faculty members to sponsor them and whatever else goes into a production like this. There will be auditions and rehearsing, but also normal student life with parties and going to classes. The production will be playing on campus, and the actors and actresses will have to deal with life after the play if we choose to continue the story afterward.

This is the basic outline, kept basic for a reason. I want to carve this out further with a partner, as I find plotting and building a world together with a partner a lot more fun than doing it all on my own and trying to find someone to play in my little creation.

For more information about this idea.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Middle Earth in the modern day

I recently watched the movie Bright on Netflix, and the setting fascinated me deeply. I would like to create a city like Los Angeles in the movie. A city where you have everything you have in the real world, but we add the fantasy creatures from Middle Earth (elves, dwarfs and orcs) and add some proper tension between the different races. Elves would be on top of the foodchain (elf town would be a rich area), humans and dwarfs in the middle, and orcs on the bottom (having followed the dark lord some 2000 years ago). Orcs would naturally try to get higher on the ladder, in different ways. There would be plenty of hostility towards the orcs from all of the other races. Corruption would run wild in the city, the police would be a brutal bunch hardly any better than the criminals they are fighting, and outside the rich areas of the city life is cheap.

I don't have a story for this one yet, but if you like the idea of playing around in this world send me a message and we can plot something together.

In a small town in the middle of nowhere

See this thread for a bit more information about this idea.

The location for this roleplay will be a small town in the middle of nowhere. Just what kind of town it will be we will decide together, but here is my take on it. The town will have seen better days. Around the town there will be farmlands, and there will be a proper town center (no malls), but there will also be abandoned industrial buildings around the railroad tracks. The railroad tracks are important, they are on the outskirts of town, and if you choose to cross the railroad tracks you are choosing the side of the freaks. The freaks are the outcasts of the town, at least among the youths. They are a mixture, of everything from metalheads to stoners to small-time criminals. But not all bad people. On the other side of the tracks are the "normal" youth, with the football players and cheerleaders leading the pack. The football team is quite good, and kind of the pride of the town, so you know the football players will be full of themselves.

These are the people we will be playing, as well as some of the other people around town. I want to focus on the youth of the town (17-18 years to early twenties, older high school students, and those who didn't leave town after graduating high school). Things to delve into would be the feeling of isolation from living in such an isolated place, the divide between the freaks and the jocks, but also them being young and getting into all kinds of trouble. So we would be playing them do whatever they are doing, just what they will get up to we will of course discuss, or we could just go with it and see where things might end up.

Empire Records

Can also be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=268780.0

This is an idea based on the movie Empire Records from 1995. To sum up the movie quickly the movie revolves around an independent music store about to be bought by a music chain. We follow the employees (young people, high school students to a few years out of high school) through a day where they are trying to save the store from being bought while dealing with all kinds of other problems (like a has-been signing autographs, shoplifters, and personal problems of different sorts).

What I wanna recapture is the spirit of the place. A place that is a hang-out for the local youth, where the employees come in early to study or just hang out before they start their shift. A place where the rules aren't enforced heavily. In short, the best place in the world to work is when you are around 19 years old.

These are the most important things for a possible partner:
1. You have to enjoy writing for multiple main characters, both female and male. I also expect you to write for random NPCs when needed.
2. You have to put story before smut. This will not be a smut-fest. There will be smut, but this is going to be the story first.
3. You have to have some knowledge about music, as the characters all will have an interest in music. I'm no expert myself, so no need to be an expert. Even though the story will be set during the 1990s I don't mind using music from all eras. As a band from 2017 can be an up-and-coming band in the mid-90s, so even if you don't have much interest in 90s music we can use the music you are interested in instead.

I have already mentioned the story will take place during the 1990s. The reason is that this was before the Internet made the record store obsolete. This is a time when your CD collection told the world who you were, or who you wanted to be. This was a time when new music was discovered through friends, knowledgeable music store employees, or music magazines. The mixed tape is still a big thing, mostly on cassette since most people don't have access to a computer.

The store will be key, even though things will happen outside of the store as well. The store is where people meet and where they work. The one thing they all have in common. The employees in the movie were a mixture of different kind of youth, and I want the same in our story.

Also, the most important thing is to have fun. We both need to have fun and create characters and situations that will be fun to write.

Baker Street

Inspired by the song Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo

For your convenience, the lyrics
"Baker Street"

Winding your way down on Baker Street
Light in your head and dead on your feet
Well, another crazy day
You'll drink the night away
And forget about everything
This city desert makes you feel so cold
It's got so many people, but it's got no soul
And it's taken you so long
To find out you were wrong
When you thought it held everything

You used to think that it was so easy
You used to say that it was so easy
But you're trying, you're trying now
Another year and then you'd be happy
Just one more year and then you'd be happy
But you're crying, you're crying now

Way down the street there's a light in his place
He opens the door, he's got that look on his face
And he asks you where you've been
You tell him who you've seen
And you talk about anything
He's got this dream about buying some land
He's gonna give up the booze and the one-night stands
And then he'll settle down
In some quiet little town
And forget about everything

But you know he'll always keep moving
You know he's never gonna stop moving
'Cause he's rolling, he's the rolling stone
And when you wake up, it's a new morning
The sun is shining, it's a new morning
And you're going, you're going home

Baker Street, located in some anonymous big city, is filled with dive bars, pawnshops, sleazy strip joints, even sleazier motels and dodgy-looking restaurants. The people are mostly down on their luck, or just searching for something they probably won't find there. It's a miserable place, and the cheap apartments are filled with all kinds of weird, and sometimes dangerous, people.

I don't have a plot in mind, I just love this song and I get this vision of a place like the one I just described when I listen to the song. I'm not looking for a smut-driven roleplay, I want to explore this vision I have in my head with someone who enjoys character development, plot, and the darker side of humanity.

Post-apocalyptic setting

I don't have anything specific in mind for this one as of yet, but since I do love me a post-apocalyptic setting I'm throwing it into the mix. Zombies, weather out of control, alien invaders, disease, World War III - whatever made the shit hit the fan I could be up for it.

What I truly love about the post-apocalyptic setting is imagining how the world looks after the disaster has struck. What kind of society have emerged? How is nature and wildlife affected? How do people survive? Questions like that I love answering, and I love building the world together with my writing partner. So world-building is a huge yes!

I'm leaving this short intentionally, as I want to start from scratch with a potential partner. That way we can design the world just the way we want it from scratch, or just use a setting we both know and want to explore further.

These next two ideas are still under construction, but if you like the idea of them I would love to develop them further with you.

Summer of Love

This will be a roleplay set during the Summer of Love in 1967 in San Francisco. A city filled with hippies, free love and lots and lots of drugs.

Paranormal P.I. in San Francisco

I've been wanting to play a paranormal P.I. in San Francisco for some time. Partly because I want to do a roleplay set in San Francisco, partly because I want to do a P.I.-themed roleplay, and partly because I think the paranormal element will bring something else than the traditional P.I.-theme to the table.

yobo

FANDOMS / TV SERIES

Hawaii Five-0

So I've been watching a lot of Hawaii Five-0 lately (not so lately anymore), and I've been wanting to do a roleplay with a similar cast set on Hawaii. Five-0 is a police task force who, at least in the first season, can do pretty much whatever they want. I would like to follow the members of the task force (we would be playing two of them each), both through the cases they solve, but also through their lives and how their relationships evolve (not necessarily in any sexual way). I would prefer the main characters to be OC, but we can use characters from the TV show as well as NPCs. I don't have anything specific in mind for plot or characters at this point, but if this tickles your fancy shoot me a pm and we can figure something out together.

Tex Murphy

Tex Murphy is a down on his luck PI in post-World War III San Francisco. If you know the setting and the characters we can do it with canon characters, but if you just like the idea of a roleplay set in this setting we can just use the Tex Murphy-universe as our playground and develop our own cast of characters.

Almost Famous

In Almost Famous a high school guy gets to travel with the fictional band Stillwater on what will most likely be their breakthrough tour, sometime around 1970. Basically, it's guitar players with a god complex, drugs, sex, rock'n'roll, risky venues, a crappy tour bus, groupies, shitty motels etc. What I have in mind is creating a fictional band on tour, with the crew, journalists, fans, groupies and everything else surrounding an up-and-coming band, and just go with it. We can go a bit dark with conflicts in the band and inner demons, or we can just treat it as a continuous party. Totally up to us. You have to be comfortable (and enjoy) playing multiple characters for this one.

Empire Records

I did mention this one under original ideas as well, but I will leave this pitch here as well.

Empire Records is one of my favorite movies of all time. It depicts one crazy day in the lives of a group of people working in a record store, and how they try to save the store from being taken over by a big chain with loads of stores all over the state. I'm not looking to re-create the movie though, I want to re-create the mood of the place. Young people working there (everything from the overachiever to the punk girl with an attitude problem in the movie), the really laid-back feel to the place, how the employees would get up to all kinds of shenanigans and not get fired. It seemed like a really fun place to work, if a bit maddening to manage.

What I'm looking for is someone who wants to play multiple characters in a record store in the 1990s when your CD-collection still told people what kind of person you were (or what kind of person you wanted to be). The plot is just having fun, but we can come up with something a bit more tangible as well. If we are able to create the kind of feel that the movie has I'll write anything, almost anyway.

Stargate SG-1

I loved the premise of this show, exploring alien worlds. Sure, it was a bit of a stretch that the whole universe understood English, and the execution of the show wasn't always the best. But I still loved this show, and I would love to play a SG-team stationed at Cheyenne Mountain going on missions off-Earth. We can jump into the story at any point, although I do prefer the Goa'uld story arch. I also prefer the earlier episodes, when Jack O'Neill was still around. Yet again I don't have anything specific in mind at this point, as I do prefer plotting with my partners. If you enjoyed this show and want to write something based in this universe, hopefully I'm your guy.

Shameless

Lately I've been watching a bit of Shameless, the US version, and I've found the humor and characters to be really entertaining. I'm not looking to write canon characters for this one, but rather write for a neighborhood like the one in the series. A rather rough neighborhood filled with, let's say, interesting characters. I don't have a plot or even characters in mind yet, but I would love to plot with someone for this one. This idea will require us both to write for multiple characters and not just one main character and a few NPCs. I mean as in multiple main/important characters, each of them having storylines of their own.

Relic Hunter

Relic Hunter was a TV show back in the 1990s that was kind of an Indiana Jones rip-off, but a bit more tongue in cheek and with a sexy female professor going out on adventure instead with a rather clumsy assistant by her side. She was also an expert martial arts fighter, and any excuse to have someone in a naked situation (like having to fight the bad guy in a towel coming out of the shower or finding a clue at a nudist resort) was taken. Originality was not the focus of this TV show, but it was entertaining.

So basically I am looking for a fun roleplay with this kind of vibe, so I am not looking for OC characters. Just a fun story with fun things happening basically.

yobo

GRAPHICAL INSPIRATION

The Rotten Apple, New York City in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

yobo

OLD REQUEST THREADS, IDEAS ETC.

My old request thread
Hi and welcome to my request thread. Just a few things before getting to my ideas. First, please send me a pm instead of answering in this thread, as I would like to keep it tidy here. Second, my ideas are a starting point for plotting, and I do want a partner who enjoys plotting as it is important for me to create a story together with my partner. Third, I love when we both play several characters, as well as dividing up the NPCs (NPCs played by both players bugs me due to the inconsistency), so if you want to do that I will be very happy. And fourth, I am looking for plot and a good story, there will be sex of course but only when it fits into the story.

Also, be sure to read my O/O. You will find more about my roleplay-preferences there.

Closed for now
A Twisted Affair

Our characters meet and they hit it off. So far so good, but this will not be just another love story. The thing is, your character had something else than love in mind when approaching my character. Maybe she wants to make a guy jealous, and this guy ends up kicking the shit out of my character. Or something else, you will have the final word on what your character is up too.

It doesn't stop there though. My character has your characters name, and he look her up. Now what happens? Why did he look her up? Is he lovesick? Does he want revenge? How will she react? In any case some sort of relationship will form, a bad one. A destructive one. The kind that drags them both down to the bottom, but nobody is walking away. And there will be no rainbow as the rain lets up and the sun once again shines, it will only get worse. One of them breathing at the end would be considered a pretty happy ending. Both breathing? I don't believe in miracles...

Sexual elements: Something matching the feel of the game, so think along the lines of non-con etc.

The Adventurous Reporter

I want to do something along the lines of Indiana Jones or the Relic Hunter. A strong female lead working as a reporter, or something else that will allow her to go travelling, going all over the world on her adventures and getting herself into all kinds of trouble. I would like there to be a certain amount of humor in this roleplay, like her getting herself into situations that are both funny and sexy.

The P.I.

I just want to do something along the good old detective-story. You know, where the scotch is cheap and the cigarettes plentiful, the cops are on the take and there is a dame in the office with a big problem and legs that never ends...

I don't have a plot ready for this one as of yet, but if you want to cook something up together shoot me a pm and we will talk.

Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll

The 1960s and 1970s was a great time to be a rock star, so why not go back to those decades? Drugs, groupies, Woodstock, free sex, hippies, guitarists with a God-complex... The fun goes on. If you have seen the movie Almost Famous that is not too far from what I am looking for here.

In a small town in the middle of nowhere

There is something about a smalltown-setting with the freaks as the main focus that sounds like a lot of fun. Think late 80s or early 90s, before Internet to make the isolation even greater. Maybe a gang of metalheads about to finish high school or just having finished. Not going to college, so some might have a job, some don't. Ever in opposition against the small-minded town, and getting the blame for everything that happens. Maybe there is a girl from the right side of the tracks looking to do some slumming as well?

Again, no plot ready as of yet, but would love to discuss this idea further with someone.

Post-apocalyptic roleplay

I'm always up for a post-apocalyptic roleplay, whatever caused the shit to hit the fan.

In the big city no-one can hear you scream...

I want to do a roleplay exploring the sinister depths of the big city, the alleys where the bum lives, the strip joint which is the last stop before the streets awaits, being in way to deep with the wrong people... Think along the lines of a New York City before the clean-up, a city rippled with a crack epidemic, dirty cops and street gangs. You get the idea.

In this city we can be whoever we want, who will it be...?

Fandoms

Tex Murphy - I would love to do a roleplay in the setting of this game series. Both cannon and non-cannon. Although if cannon you must have proper knowledge of the game and characters.

Twin Peaks.

Reality Bites - something along the lines of a group of twentysomething just out of college and not knowing what to do with their lives.

The Last of Us - I'm not looking to play the characters from the game, but rather do something in this post-apocalyptic world.

Quotes that might inspire something

"Can we pretend that airplanes
In the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now
Wish right now, wish right now"

Songs for inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFSteGdktU

yobo

Added Empire Records and the post-apocalyptic setting.

yobo

Added Stargate SG-1 and two pictures.

yobo

yobo

Added a bit of information about the post-apocalyptic setting under original ideas.

Added (although they are still under construction) Summer of Love and Paranormal P.I. in San Francisco under original ideas.

Added the song Spotlight by Machine Gun Kelly under musical inspiration.

yobo

Still looking for partners. :-)

yobo

yobo

Added road trip, strip game and college theatre production-ideas. :-)

yobo

Updated a few things and added Relic Hunter.

Also, officially going from dipping my toes to jumping back into writing here. :-) 

yobo

Hoping to find someone to write with. :-)