News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Brandon

As much as I dislike that web show, yeah thats pretty much how I feel about DLC. Stuff thats actually planned and made after the game is sold is free game to charge for. Stuff thats made from the initial investment of the publisher we have a right to when we pay full price. If it isnt there, well Im not going to buy the game full price if I buy it at all

and Sabby there is no E in my name
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

That was very convincing, actually.  I have no issues with early DLC after hearing watching that vid.  They make very good points.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Hemingway

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition was released ... yesterday, I think.

It's free for people who own the game. It adds ... stuff. Major stuff. Content, gameplay features ...

Did I mention it's free? So screw these money-grubbing people who want to extort us into paying more for worthless content. You see it so often nowadays, content that's absolutely worthless. I occasionally get weapon packs for games like Saint's Row, or civilizations for, uh, Civilizations, usually when there's some special offer, but a lot of games look more like goddamn DLC delivery systems.

Now, I have one issue with that video. It mentions that people don't often break out their old games for new DLC. Well. It could be that it's because most DLC is absolutely useless. If you're peddling armor or weapons or a new minigame that adds nothing, then, yeah, of course nobody's going to replay their old games for your worthless shit. I'd like to know what the differences are in those numbers between that garbage DLC, and DLC like, say, Lair of the Shadow Broker or GTA IV's amazing DLC.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on April 17, 2012, 07:46:23 PM
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/mass-effect-3-dlc

This was kind of illuminating the industry side of things.

I watched that, and normally I like extra credits but in this case I dont agree with them at all. DLC has a place but not as Day 1 DLC, ever. I dont think its reasonable to ask a developer to give us an entire game rather then a cut down one for our money.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

LunarSage

Their point though is that it's not content that would have ever been made if it wasn't for DLC.  The game would have been fine and quite playable as is.  The DLC is optional.  You don't have to have it. 

My enjoyment of Arkham City was not dependent on downloading the Robin content (which I opted not to do).

Hemingway

Quote from: LunarSage on April 17, 2012, 08:25:02 PM
Their point though is that it's not content that would have ever been made if it wasn't for DLC.  The game would have been fine and quite playable as is.  The DLC is optional.  You don't have to have it. 

My enjoyment of Arkham City was not dependent on downloading the Robin content (which I opted not to do).

I call BS on that in the case of ME3's From Ashes DLC. It's optional, but considering how integrated into the story the character is, it's obviously not something they decided to do after finishing the game ( that is to say that it's not an afterthought ), or anything like that. If "it's optional!" is the only justification, then most the characters in the game could've been offered as DLC, as very few of them are, strictly speaking, essential to the plot.

Edit: Got the name of the DLC wrong.

LunarSage

Quote from: Hemingway on April 17, 2012, 08:30:57 PM
I call BS on that in the case of ME3's From Ashes DLC. It's optional, but considering how integrated into the story the character is, it's obviously not something they decided to do after finishing the game ( that is to say that it's not an afterthought ), or anything like that. If "it's optional!" is the only justification, then most the characters in the game could've been offered as DLC, as very few of them are, strictly speaking, essential to the plot.

Edit: Got the name of the DLC wrong.

Ok, but is that (your example) the exception or the norm?  That video suggested that it's the exception.

Hemingway

Quote from: LunarSage on April 17, 2012, 08:36:49 PM
Ok, but is that (your example) the exception or the norm?  That video suggested that it's the exception.

I ... I don't see how that's really relevant. It's the example used in the video, and it's what I was addressing. I did get the same impression from some of Arkham City's DLC, but I never even considered getting it, so I wouldn't know.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Brandon

Quote from: LunarSage on April 17, 2012, 08:25:02 PM

To be fair Im sure there are cases where DLC wouldnt have been made if they didnt get money in return but I think those are few and far between. You have to consider youre making a product first and have to pay for its development and company costs before its released to the public to be bought. So the "We have to get money to make this DLC" usually falls short because they dont know what their returns will be. They already paid for the devlopment costs how do the sales afterwards pay for that? Its an argument that doesnt make a lot of sense when you apply common sense

Then again...

Inkidu

Here's hoping my my application to GameStop gets accepted as I lack the funding for the Witcher 2 on 360. Plus all the reviews I've seen say it looks just as good and that you've really got to reach to find issue with it. :)

LunarSage

So did anyone actually like Marvel vs Capcom 3?  I'm considering getting the Ultimate version at some point.

Brandon

Quote from: LunarSage on April 18, 2012, 02:48:56 PM
So did anyone actually like Marvel vs Capcom 3?  I'm considering getting the Ultimate version at some point.

Yeah its pretty good if you like the really fast paced and flashy fighting games

Wolfy

Sabby

Anyone who was watching the Sniper Elite V2 killcam videos can just go ahead and defuse any excitement they may have had for the game. Demo's out and it's terrible. I was almost suckered in by the videos too, but they may as well have been showing cutscenes for all the gameplay it displayed. They're literally the only good thing in this demo.

Ya know when they used to mix it up by throwing a basic, frustrating and out of place stealth level into the middle of a game that was nearly impossible to get through without constantly reloading your checkpoint and memorizing where the guards are? That's this game. Only your allowed to kill everyone in the level, and it's only way to get through mostly.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on April 20, 2012, 07:22:33 AM
Anyone who was watching the Sniper Elite V2 killcam videos can just go ahead and defuse any excitement they may have had for the game. Demo's out and it's terrible. I was almost suckered in by the videos too, but they may as well have been showing cutscenes for all the gameplay it displayed. They're literally the only good thing in this demo.

Ya know when they used to mix it up by throwing a basic, frustrating and out of place stealth level into the middle of a game that was nearly impossible to get through without constantly reloading your checkpoint and memorizing where the guards are? That's this game. Only your allowed to kill everyone in the level, and it's only way to get through mostly.

But Sabby...everything about Humanity that you think is bad will be restored..when you look above your post.

MARIO.

WITH.

PORTALS.

Why is no one else thinking this is awesome? D:

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on April 21, 2012, 05:26:54 AM
But Sabby...everything about Humanity that you think is bad will be restored..when you look above your post.

MARIO.

WITH.

PORTALS.

Why is no one else thinking this is awesome? D:

... Because it's ... really old? :D

Sabby

Mario is one of those testaments to the power of Nostalgia xD not to say I can't enjoy anything older then 5 years, because I can, but I swear, the radiation they check for in carbon dating degrades faster then peoples opinions on the games they grew up with.

Hemingway

I was talking about the concept of Mario with portals not being new.

In other news, I picked up a cute little roguelike on Steam, because I'm going on a short vacation and need something that runs smoothly on my laptop. It's called Hack, Slash, Loot, and ... it's quite fun! I'm not sure how much I like it compared to Dungeons of Dredmor, but HSL is definitely easier to just pick up and play.

Oniya

I actually downloaded the actual Rogue a while ago.  I should really unzip it for a touch of nostalgic brainlessness.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LunarSage

Quote from: Inkidu on April 17, 2012, 09:16:29 PM

I. Laughed. So. Hard. XD

I guess I... o.O

What's the joke?  I'm guessing you have to have played Mass Effect?

Wolfy

Well Yes.

Clearly in mass effect, rather than doing the traditional *Speak to quest giver* *Get Quest* *Go to quest* thing that normal RPG's do, Mass Effect uses some futuristic system of picking up quests by eavesdropping on people.