News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Suggestion incoming!

Started by Verasaille, January 15, 2017, 02:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

I have been observing the 'bumping' policy debate a little bit and I had a little suggestion. It took me a while of searching out the various threads to do this and I think it is feasible. Not sure how workable it is. Maybe something to think on for the next step in the process of improvement.

How about...divide the request threads into the various catagories that we already have on the board? So that people looking for Light, human, exotic, etc. could have a request thread there. Those looking for Bondage stories can have a request thread there, and so forth on the other categories. Much like the Oneshot section has its classified.

We could do the same for groups. Set up a request thread for each category, so those looking for groups with a lot of NC, or Bondage, or just vanilla or ever smut free groups could seek rp.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Rhedyn

Personally I feel this would probably make it harder for people to find roleplays not to mention more confusing. I know when I post ideas most of the time I have no idea what the content level is going to be until I get into discussions with people about the idea and the direction we want to take it in. I have a single request thread with all of my ideas in them, not separate ones for each idea that could be categorised like that. I could also see us having issues with people getting confused over where to post their requests, not to mention there being a huge number of additional areas to keep an eye on with the bumping policy.

Nico

What is about the people not looking for something so specific but just a good story to begin with? Things often change, stories go in unexpected directions and some people are looking for a story first of all and the rest is secondary. I believe this would be very confusing.

Verasaille

I understand that, I know everyone is different. We each like different things. To me it would be easier to post an idea I want to be mostly vanilla or non smut in a category that would not be likely to have it. Similarly, if a person wants a Bondage rp, they post in that section. This is for requests on general tastes and you could still post a different plot or something. To me, now, it is hard to go through each request thread and see things I do not like and mark that particular person down as a non interest (to myself) and keep looking.

The content level is something I think a lot of people look at in the way they write up their O/O's.

The thing is it would give us more than one thread to post ideas in and maybe narrow down the choices for people looking. I feel like the 1x1 request thread is very limiting, in that it only gives 49 selections on one page. I can go down the list right now and not see a single idea that jumps out at me, mostly because I have seen them dozens of times by that person and I know I would not be interested.

It might be just me, but I find it discouraging that the page moves so fast that my idea gets knocked off the front page within a day. I know there are lots of people here posting ideas. It's good to have a variety of ideas.

Ok, so another way to do this...bear with me I am brainstorming and it is not always making sense. I really should get to bed!  :P

How about posting ideas in genre's? Like Sci-fi, Fantasy, Modern, Spy thriller, Fandoms, Mystery, etc. Or as to whether it is F/F or M/F, or M/M? Maybe if it is separated by definite plot/story idea or a general anything goes?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Eva

Quote from: Nicholas on January 15, 2017, 03:35:28 AM
What is about the people not looking for something so specific but just a good story to begin with? Things often change, stories go in unexpected directions and some people are looking for a story first of all and the rest is secondary. I believe this would be very confusing.

I very much agree with this. 

I am rarely looking for a set scenario or kink but rather a good story.  "Where do we put this story?" is always part of my discussions with a partner. I'm currently in the planning stages of a story and we are putting the thread in a forum I would never have looked at for a request thread. If we start branching requests out into the various sub forums or into genres, then its just more places to look, more places that might get overlooked.  Honestly, if I'm looking for a story I do look past the first page.  I pay more attention to the date on the post than what page it is on.  As such, if posts aren't getting nibbles, it probably isn't because of what page they are on. So keeping a story on the front page of a very narrowed request thread isn't going to help it get more nibbles. 

RedRose

Per genre seems more practical, as you know what your plot is about... Deciding light or extreme etc in advance may be more difficult.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Gypsy

Quote from: RedRose on January 15, 2017, 11:11:38 AM
Per genre seems more practical, as you know what your plot is about...

I have plenty of plots that could be set in fantasy, contemporary, supernatural, sci-fi, or historical, probably others.   The plot is more important in those than either setting or kink.

I've also written with a lot of people whose kinks aren't all that aligned with mine, but we meet on agreeable lines in the story. 

Personally, I think there's already enough emphasis on things other than the writing of a good story, with the maxtrix, ons/offs, etc. Further dividing the request threads by kinks or genre would serve only to create more narrowed subsets, and make it more difficult for people to showcase their diversity both in kinks and in writing, and to find great partners without more effort and time invested.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Nessy

Hey Verasaille, thanks for keeping the discussion alive. I know it's very challenging to post ideas in the midst of so many diverse individuals with varying opinions.

My challenge with this idea is for someone like me, I am not genre or even category specific. My ideas and what I play varies a lot. I also read ideas pitched by someone, and after reading several of them sometimes pitch my own. I get an idea of what they might like based on what they've posted... so if they have maybe 10 light plays but have even 1 that's a little darker, that tells me that realm isn't really off limits so maybe they'd like an idea that merges the two.

I get what you're going for though. I play a fair amount in the M/M realm (as well as others), and sometimes it's just hard to find those writers when the mood strikes.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Blythe

Rather than separating things into even more boards (which would be needlessly confusing, at least to me), a searchable thread tagging system would probably be a lot better. The O/O matrix does this in a limited way, but only for players, not ideas. Direct searchable tags able to be placed on threads would allow for keeping the board layout the same, but could allow for searching of specific kinks or genres depending on how OPs tagged topics. Not sure if it would be do-able for the current software, but maybe is something Veks could put into Elkarte?

(Just tossing that out there as a potential idea--I hope it makes sense? Not suggesting that as a member of Staff, just to note. Just as, y'know, myself)

Verasaille

Thanks for your responses, everyone. The thing to me is that the 1x1 boards are too general. Yes I have different genre tastes and also many MANY ideas. I get in moods to do one thing or another.

It's just that there is a limited amount of space for people to post ideas and they get buried real fast, before someone has the patience to look through fifty requests. Then there is the problem of people bumping constantly because they cannot find partners. Which makes it a vicious circle.

I want to be able to find the kind of stories I like and the people who like the same things and are comfortable with my O/O's. Currently it is such a long drawn out and time consuming way of doing it. I know I am not the only one who feels frustrated.

With some kind of way to separate genre's or even the kind of kinks expected in a general way, I have to sift through too many that I do not want. I think it would make the search easier if we could do some categorizing.

In the mood for Light vanilla? Put your ideas there. Want Bondage and NC, put ideas there. It is just a way to cut through the many ideas to those you want to explore. It does not have to be specific, you can still add your own kinks and ideas and plots. Think of it like the separation between Adult and Non adult. It's just another way to screen things out you do NOT want.

We already have the things separated out. All I am suggesting is putting a request thread on each of those boards to let people put forth ideas and seek partners with similar ideas.

Lexandria

Quote from: Blythe on January 16, 2017, 04:30:58 PM
Rather than separating things into even more boards (which would be needlessly confusing, at least to me), a searchable thread tagging system would probably be a lot better. The O/O matrix does this in a limited way, but only for players, not ideas. Direct searchable tags able to be placed on threads would allow for keeping the board layout the same, but could allow for searching of specific kinks or genres depending on how OPs tagged topics. Not sure if it would be do-able for the current software, but maybe is something Veks could put into Elkarte?

(Just tossing that out there as a potential idea--I hope it makes sense? Not suggesting that as a member of Staff, just to note. Just as, y'know, myself)

I was thinking something similar. I think that would be a really good solution, especially for someone like me who has one thread for everything. I like the entire range of possibilities (as far as ratings go) light-extreme. I like Modern and Fantasy and Sci-fi and many more genre. I have so many different kinks that I'm cool with that I basically just list the few that I'm not okay with. It's a short list (like.. less than 10 things short list). I am happy to have any writing partner of any gender identity, and I have no preference to the gender identity of my partners' character(s) either. My request thread would have no place in a new, broken up system like this, and I would not have any desire to maintain multiple ones and force my requests to fit a limited theme/setting/rating/etcetera. I would find that very discouraging. (again, as with Blythe, this is my opinion and has nothing to do with Staff-ness)

I really agree that being able to tag your request with things that are included would be awesome. So, if someone is looking for a [light] story, they could put that tag in, and it would filter out anything not tagged for that. Or a [m/m] story. Or [sci-fi]. Anything not fitting with the tag would be dropped from view, leaving everything else still up. And if that was still too much, maybe add a second filter: [light]+[sci-fi] would narrow things down a ton. Could even have tags for posting rates: [daily] or [monthly] or however else. If that's something that could be done, I sort of think it could be amazing, honestly.

Quote from: Verasaille on January 16, 2017, 05:38:40 PM
Thanks for your responses, everyone. The thing to me is that the 1x1 boards are too general. Yes I have different genre tastes and also many MANY ideas. I get in moods to do one thing or another.

It's just that there is a limited amount of space for people to post ideas and they get buried real fast, before someone has the patience to look through fifty requests. Then there is the problem of people bumping constantly because they cannot find partners. Which makes it a vicious circle.

I want to be able to find the kind of stories I like and the people who like the same things and are comfortable with my O/O's. Currently it is such a long drawn out and time consuming way of doing it. I know I am not the only one who feels frustrated.

With some kind of way to separate genre's or even the kind of kinks expected in a general way, I have to sift through too many that I do not want. I think it would make the search easier if we could do some categorizing.

In the mood for Light vanilla? Put your ideas there. Want Bondage and NC, put ideas there. It is just a way to cut through the many ideas to those you want to explore. It does not have to be specific, you can still add your own kinks and ideas and plots. Think of it like the separation between Adult and Non adult. It's just another way to screen things out you do NOT want.

We already have the things separated out. All I am suggesting is putting a request thread on each of those boards to let people put forth ideas and seek partners with similar ideas.

I can completely understand being discouraged, even if the way the 1x1 board is now doesn't really bother me on a personal level. Searching for partners does take time (and usually, for me, multiple tabs with different pages open: requests, Ons/offs, general interests, recent posts, etcetera. Tons and tons of research). I just don't think that making the system more complicated is really the answer.. I feel that so many people would be overlooked that the frustration would get to be so much more with multiple search threads. Especially with someone like me, who would be forced to either maintain a huge number of threads while simultaneously narrowing myself into a corner, or post a copy of my thread in each section. The later of which, however, would be tantamount to spamming, and would likely upset most people and seriously harm my chances for finding partners. For someone who is almost never looking for something specific, breaking things apart would not work. (again, reiterating, this is just my personal opinion on the matter)

Tentatively accepting a few new stories
Interests
Schedule
Creative Things
Current Cravings

RedPhoenix

The tag idea is a really good one. It would make sorting through all the threads much easier.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Blythe

I'll re-post that idea in the CMS thread over in On Topic then since some folks think it might be a good idea. :) (Mostly as I'm not sure if my idea can be implemented under the current software or not, not sure if it's everyone's cuppa tea, etc.)

Verasaille

I think the searchable tag system would be a good one. If it works.

Oreo

The tag system already works. The need would be to get people to understand how to use it. For instance go to the One on One board and type [MxM] into the search bar - upper right. You will get a list of all the members that entered [MxM] in their header.

The information is best entered properly and uniformly with [tags]. The more people that do this, the easier it would be to search for what you want. You don't have to have the tag exactly like that, but my OCD likes it. XD

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Verasaille

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, Oreo. I type in the search bar for (M/F) and just get a crap ton of posts with those letters in it. Not even the whole post, just snippets. Even when I searched only the One on One request boards.

I even tried typing in 'vanilla' , 'light' and 'M seeking F'. All I get is a jumbled mess of letters and no coherent way to understand any of it. A lot of the posts were dated for last year, and the first post was from October of last year.

I don't think that is an efficient way to search for rp story requests. Granted, not everyone uses the tags. But I did not even get those who do.

Oreo

Hmmm, I got 8 pages of 100 RPs each listing people looking for M/F games, and links to their request threads. The first 100 all within the past 12 months.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Verasaille

Okay, that is still not filtering out the ones I am not interested in. Like Bondage, NC, and stories that make me squick.

Oreo

Because not all members list everything, and some list EVERYTHING. >.< If it is only tagged in the header you could refine the search even further here. The only problem with that search is it will bring up everything on the forum with tags.

Doing the search in the upper right, while in the forum you are looking at restricts the search to that forum.

There is really no easy fix to make all the RPs you want to look at magically appear. One still needs to dig for treasure. I almost never looked in the request threads when I looked for writing partners. I scrutinized the O/Os.

Verasaille

Yes, I know the problems, I have been fighting with it since I joined! That is why we need a better way to screen things. What we have now is tedious and time consuming. I have to look at every single thread and check the O/O's of the writers and all of that, when we could do something to make it easier.

This will take some time to refine, I know. What I offer is a simple shift in putting some requests in certain threads already in existence.

For those of you who are saying "But I do not know what I want before I start searching." or "I am willing to do anything." (sorry that is not a refined choice at all. I am looking for specific choices in story content. Nothing is more boring to me than someone sending me a PM saying, "I am willing to do anything you like.")

mia h

I think the tagging idea is impractical. First off putting "tags" in the header isn't proper tagging, it's just searchable text and for it to work everyone would have to agree to a defined set of tags and include them on every single thread header, which isn't going to happen.
Now tags as searchable meta-data is a more elegant solution but again I think it would be impractical. Firstly you need to find a way to attach the meta-data to the idea, which wouldn't be impossible but would be extra work. Then do tag at a thread or post level? Tagging at a post level would give more granularity but effectively means one post per story idea. Add the meta-data at thread level and then each user is going to have to use multiple threads to ensure that story ideas are properly searchable under the correct tags.
Take any given story preference, just the sake of argument lets use bondage as an example and meta-data is at the thread level. You have some story ideas that are dependent on the inclusion of bondage, some where it bondage just wouldn't work and some other ideas where bondage might work but it isn't central to the story. To make that properly searchable you'd need three threads; Bondage Yes\No\Maybe. And that's just for one possible story element, add in sexual orientation where I can think of nine possible combinations, and now it's up to 27 different threads to cover those two story elements.

And the only way it works is if every post\thread is tagged and tagged correctly. Seems like it would be a lot of effort for very little benefit.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Verasaille

Thank you for validating my idea, even if it was not done intentionally.

The sections for posting the threads already have some guides in the headers. The one on ones, the groups, etc. Already segregated as to some general guidelines. Putting the requests at the top of that thread in a similar fashion to the classified for the One shots, would only give people a place to post their ideas that adhere to those guidelines. That is all it would do, is give another place to post ideas. You don't have to use it. It's just another place to showcase the plots in the right section to post the stories.