News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

Maryland State Attorney just held a press conference stating that based on her office's review of the available evidence from the police, their independent investigation, and the public, Freddie Gray's death was a homicide.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Cycle on May 01, 2015, 09:52:15 AM
Maryland State Attorney just held a press conference stating that based on her office's review of the available evidence from the police, their independent investigation, and the public, Freddie Gray's death was a homicide.

Yeah all of the police involved are being charged in one way or another. I'm breathing easier now. Hopefully people in Baltimore are happy with that and things stay peaceful.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

gaggedLouise

The Duchess of Cambridge (aka Princess Kate) has been admitted to hospital in London in the early stages of birth labour.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dashenka

If it's going to be a boy, the Diana comparisons will be even greater than they already are so for her sake and the nations sake let it be a girl.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Dashenka on May 02, 2015, 03:45:18 AM
If it's going to be a boy, the Diana comparisons will be even greater than they already are so for her sake and the nations sake let it be a girl.

*nods* I suspect that a daughter is what the parents want too at this point.

Update, a few hours later: It's a girl!  :-)

(and actually she had already come into the world by the time I heard of the princess being "admitted to hospital" on the morning tv news)  ;)

Beorning

On the related note: I admit that I'm starting to get irritated with how media over here report the birth of Kate and William's child. For once, the media keep calling the newly-born princess as "Royal Baby 2" (in English), as if it was some sort of codename... Also, today, I've seen a lengthy interview with a stylist, who claimed that the princess "has already become a fashion icon" (yes, she was speaking of the baby). I mean, come on!

Kythia

Quote from: Beorning on May 03, 2015, 01:19:00 PM
For once, the media keep calling the newly-born princess as "Royal Baby 2" (in English), as if it was some sort of codename...

There's a saying - "Heir and a spare".  What's needed from a noble wife: someone to carry on the family and another one just in case something happens to Plan A.

gaggedLouise

The first one was called "Baby Cambridge" for a while by some of the media, before his names were revealed.

Lustful Bride

Happy May the Fourth everyone, may the Force be with you.  :-)

gaggedLouise

In Soviet Russia, May First forces you. ;) (out into the parades, comrades...)

Avis habilis

Star Wars joke. "May the fourth" sounds like you're saying "may the force" but with an interdental lisp.

TheGlyphstone

May The Fourth (be with you). Star Wars Day. It's a pun. :D

Valerian

http://www.channel3000.com/news/police-4-dead-1-hurt-in-shooting-on-wisconsin-bridge/32790104

This is making national news here in the states, I think partly because the area where it happened is normally considered one of the safer places in the country to live.  :/  It was apparently a random shooting by a man who was distraught after his fiancee broke up with him, and as you might suspect, he later turned the gun on himself.  The injured woman was the wife of one of the men who was killed and the mother of an 11-year-old girl who also died, though the mother did manage to save her two younger children.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Dimir

Two men who pledged loyalty to ISIS were shot and killed by a traffic officer outside a suburban Dallas Prophet Mohammed cartoon event. The men had rifles and body armor on them at the time. A colleague of the officer was shot and wounded.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/us/garland-mohammed-drawing-contest-shooting/index.html
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Lustful Bride

Apparently now ISIS is claiming responsibility to the terror attack in Texas.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/is-claims-responsibility-for-texas-cartoon-attack/ar-BBjchuW?ocid=HPCDHP

Which only resulted in an injured officer and then both of their attackers dead. Yeah if those rats want me to be afraid they aren't doing a very good job.

Oh wait. I have no reason to be afraid of rats, because when you face them they always scurry away.

Kythia

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 05, 2015, 08:23:06 AM
Oh wait. I have no reason to be afraid of rats, because when you face them they always scurry away.

That...that doesn't really apply to ISIS though does it.  I mean, say what you want but they're certainly not cowards.  Am I misunderstanding your point?

Beorning

Here's something troubling that news over here reported yesterday: in French town of Ploermel, there's a statue commemorating John Paul II. And, recently, a court has issued a verdict that the statue should be removed - because, apparently, it violates the French idea of separation of religion and state:

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=24813

I'd love to learn some more of this situation, as the only reports on it I've seen come from the Polish media or from Catholic circles. I tried searching the web for more coverage, but I managed to find only French-language reports on it, unfortunately... But, if the media reports I've seen are accurate, then the situation is mind-boggling. I'm all for the separation of religion and state (especially as I live in a country where such a separation is kind of... tenous), but this is taking things too far. John Paul II was loved by many people - so, it makes sense that people want to commemorate him. Why should they be forbidden from doing so?

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on May 05, 2015, 12:34:57 PM
Here's something troubling that news over here reported yesterday: in French town of Ploermel, there's a statue commemorating John Paul II. And, recently, a court has issued a verdict that the statue should be removed - because, apparently, it violates the French idea of separation of religion and state:

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=24813

According to the article you linked, the problem is that it violated the secularity of the public square.  From that, I would guess that if it were placed somewhere else (such as in front of the town church?) it would be a perfectly acceptable way of commemorating him.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Kythia on May 05, 2015, 11:56:12 AM
That...that doesn't really apply to ISIS though does it.  I mean, say what you want but they're certainly not cowards.  Am I misunderstanding your point?

Guess she was implying "facing them /down/ with much superior firepower".  ;)

Also, Jean-Marie le Pen, the founder and long-time charismatic leader of the French Front National party, has been expelled from the party by his daughter and successor at the helm after saying that the Holocaust was a relatively minor "detail in history". Le Pen senior (who is past eighty-five) has retaliated by disavowing his daughter - who has been trying for a few years to move the party (the original Tea Party of France, sort of, but angrier and more blatantly xenophobic) into something more established and polished.

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on May 05, 2015, 12:45:51 PM
According to the article you linked, the problem is that it violated the secularity of the public square.  From that, I would guess that if it were placed somewhere else (such as in front of the town church?) it would be a perfectly acceptable way of commemorating him.

Hm. I really don't see a problem with putting this kind of memorial in a public square. Public squares belong to the people - so, if the local people decide to commemorate a religious person in such a place, it's not the state's business to come down on them and say: "No no, we can't have anything tied to religion here!".

I don't know - for me, it seems to tie into the whole anti-religion sentiment that seems to be prevalent in some Western countries...

Oniya

Except that the public square is most often the part of town where all of the municipal buildings are located - such as the town council hall, the courthouse, etc.  We've had similar situations in the States, usually regarding Nativity scenes at Christmas.  Set it up on church property, and you're good to go - no one is going to raise a fuss.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

I really don't see a problem in such a monument being located in the same square where the townhall etc. is. Of course, if they were to put that monument directly on the townhall property, then it would be a problem. But the townsquare? I think it's okay.

Also, I really see no problem with Nativity scenes being set up in the public space. Public space is for people to use. If a significant group of people wants to use public space for a religious traditions, there's nothing wrong with it.

Kythia

I wonder where France would stand on public statues of St Louis/Louis the 9th  Any French E people round here?

Beorning

Coming back to the newly-born British princess - ever wondered what her birth certificate looks like? One newssite here presents it:

I like the answers about the occupations of the parents :)