WitchCraft (Unisystem, Extreme)

Started by undisclosedtoyou, September 02, 2011, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

Actually, undead have better constitution, since they can generally outdrink you and aren't subject to fatigue >:)!
People can survive with a Constitution of -1, they just would have a harder time staying alive in an accident, or surviving a disease. Your resident rules lawyer doesn't recommend to create a PC with a too low Constitution, but the sidebar is there to make it possible and so the GM would know how to deal with NPCs in the setting that might have such stats ;).
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

TheGlyphstone

Okay, another clarification - can Metaphysical Points be spent on any Supernatural Qualities, or only Gifted? Gifted is the only one that says you can, but can you also spent them on, say, Essence Channeling or Improved Essence Pool?

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 10, 2011, 07:52:49 PM
Okay, another clarification - can Metaphysical Points be spent on any Supernatural Qualities, or only Gifted? Gifted is the only one that says you can, but can you also spent them on, say, Essence Channeling or Improved Essence Pool?

Mmmm, I'm curious about this now, good question!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

PeacethatPowerbrings

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 10, 2011, 07:52:49 PM

Unless otherwise stipulated, as with The Gift, metaphysics points can only be used on powers.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

TheGlyphstone

In that case, it is indeed extremely odd that Lesser Gifteds will almost always have a larger starting Essence pool than true Gifted, because they get more Attributes and more Qualities.

PeacethatPowerbrings

The essence pool of a person is influenced on the basic level by their actual physical attributes. The gift between a lesser gifted, and a fully gifted is no different, the difference is between one's natural essence pool in their physical form, and their actual ability to use it.

Thufir Hawat

They're also more dependent on their mundane skills, and thus, more likely to invest in Qualities that complement them. OTOH, the Gifted gain more Metaphysics points, so they use them more often and gain more from an increased Essence pool, and even one more level of Increased Essence gives them a bigger pool.
Guess who is more likely to invest Quality points in increasing their essence pool?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

TheGlyphstone

If it's supposed to be that way, I guess. And looking at the numbers, a 'Lesser' Gifted and a Gifted who spend the same Quality points on Essence would only be 5 points different.

Thufir Hawat

Yes, and that's exactly one level of Increased Essence. Now add to this that the Gifted will be better at manipulating the available Essence ;).
Again, I'd invest more heavily in mundane qualities if I was playing a lesser Gifted, and I doubt that's just me.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

TheGlyphstone

It still feels a little weird, at least in how 'I Can Use Magic' can be bought with magic points, but 'I Can Use More Magic' and 'I Can Use Magic Faster' can't.

PeacethatPowerbrings

The Gift isn't a quality like those others are, its is an intrinsic quality, something gained at birth, or not at all. An exception is made for it because it is different, so that if you want more qualities, you can buy it with metaphysics, and if you want more powers, you can buy it with qualities, on a meta-level it makes sense, even if, perhaps, it shouldn't strictly have been lumped in with all the other qualities.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, that makes a teeny bit more sense.

I'm pretty much finished Qualities now, and moving on to Skills.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 10, 2011, 09:01:14 PM
Okay, that makes a teeny bit more sense.

I'm pretty much finished Qualities now, and moving on to Skills.

Nomnom, we want you on irc Glyph :)
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheGlyphstone

How do I get on IRC?
never minds.

undisclosedtoyou

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheGlyphstone

Charsheet draft 1:

Name: Mordechai Morris
Concept: Gifted/Vigilante Murderer/Voodoo Priest
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black
Sexuality: Straight
Nationality: Haitian

Channeling Magic: 2

Character Points:
Spent:
Unspent:

Primary Attributes:

Strength: 4
Intelligence: 2
Dexterity: 2
Perception: 2
Constitution: 4
Willpower: 4

Secondary Attributes:

Life Points: 42
Endurance Points: 41
Speed: 12
Essence Pool: 25

QualitiesPoint
Gift(Metaphysics)5
Essence Channeling 2
Nerves of Steel 3
Photographic Memory2
Improved Essence Pool 2

DrawbacksPoint
Addiction(Cigars)-1
Honorable-2
Minority -1
Cruel-1
Adversary(Brotherhood of Blood cabal)-2
Bad Luck 1-3

SkillLevel
Brawling4
Dodge5
Intimidation3
Language (English)3
Occult Knowledge (Special)3
Guns(Handguns)4

PowerLevel
Invocations
Blessing1
Warding1
Lesser Healing1
Necromancy
Necromancy Skill1
Death Lordship1
Death Speech1

Spirit Patron: Baron Samedi (+11 Metaphysical)

BoonsCost
Spirit Speech (Best Advice, 1/day)+4
Death Sight 2+6
Vigor (+2 to All)+6
Obligations
Beholden-3
Gift of Kin-1
Gift of Kind-1

Character Background

Mordechai Morris was born in Haiti, the third son of a family who still followed the old ways when so many others had forgotten them. His father, the houngan of their extended family, was a sworn devotee of the voodoo god Papa Legba, and like his older brothers and sisters, Mordechai grew up on stories of how justice had fallen from the world, and how it was their duty as children of the loa to bring justice back where they could. He listened, and learned, but in his own way, for at times it seemed fate itself conspired to punish Mordechai for his existence. He was fantastically clumsy and, it often seemed, cursed with ill fortune to the most fantastic degrees. Many times, experienced houngans examined him for dark curses, but found nothing. This built resentment in him as he grew older, developing into a strapping and powerful man, until a chance visit to another family’s celebration that the truth of his ‘curse’ was revealed. While the rest of his family were true children of Papa Legba, Mordechai had instead been chosen at birth by the malicious death-trickster Baron Samedi, the misfortunes plaguing him an unconscious expression of his misplaced heritage.

Once this truth had been realized, and the relationship between Mordechai and his malicious patron formally recognized and sealed in blood and rum, life eased for him. He found work in the city, Baron Samedi’s eyes and ears into the world of mortals by way of their bars and parties, all the while cultivating his own private knowledge of ancient voodoo lore. This could have persisted until he died, had his path not crossed with that of a middling-grade bokor by the name of Amazi. A newly initiated member of the secretive, dark-magic cult calling themselves the Brotherhood of Blood, Amazi had sought to slay a houngan to prove his mastery of the voodoo arts, and targeted Mordechai mostly at random for the deed. Unfortunately for the would-be bokor, his target had Samedi’s patronage, and the attempted alleyway ambush one night ended with Amazi dead at Mordechai’s feet instead of the other way round. Victorious, he was still forced to flee, for Amazi had possessed allies and friends, the other members of his dark circle who would come seeking revenge for the death. To evade their reach, Mordechai emigrated to America.

Again, this could have been his life, but now Mordechai’s conflicting heritages rose within him again. He plied his knowledge of English and his intimidating demeanor and physique into employment as a bouncer at various clubs and bars in New York, far from the clutches of a trio of penny-ante sorcerers. Baron Samedi went with him, though, and as their bond deepened, he began to discover Samedi’s use of his eyes had left its mark and allowed him to detect those whose death would soon come upon them, along with those who had brought death to others with their own hands. This sparked Mordechai’s memories of the lessons his father, a scion of Papa Lebga, had taught him. Where justice could not be found, there could be an angel of death ready to bring vengeance for the slain, and so Mordechai became a murderer of murderers, arranging overdoses and accidents for killers who mistakenly wandered into the bars he stood sentinel over.

This persisted for several years, until misfortune struck again in the hands of a victim who turned out to be a state senator, drowning his sorrows in drink after he killed his wife in a fit of passion. Not that Mordechai had known this, or would have cared, when he set the man to stumble in front of a late-night taxi driving at high speed down the street, but the death brought official attention to the small but persistent rise in bar-related ‘accidental deaths’. A serial killer task force was deployed, but other members of the FBI identified Mordechai first – fellow Gifted, under employ to the government. Rather than expose him to mundane authorities, though, they offered him a job – he could continue killing in the name of misbegotten justice, and honor his patron in the doing, but his murders would now be at the behest of superiors who could point him in the right direction.

Sydonai

anymore room for one more character here? :-)

PeacethatPowerbrings

Sydonai

great! :D

I'm currently working out a character sheet and in the middle of reading the whole rulebook(although some things still confuses me :-\ ) I'll pm it to you peace, once I'm done so you could check for any mistakes or errors in calculations

PeacethatPowerbrings

Quote from: Sydonai on September 11, 2011, 12:18:30 PM
great! :D

I'm currently working out a character sheet and in the middle of reading the whole rulebook(although some things still confuses me :-\ ) I'll pm it to you peace, once I'm done so you could check for any mistakes or errors in calculations

Great. :D

The Game OOC is now up. You can find the link for the character sheet thread there as well, with all the, thus far, approved character sheets. As soon as the IC thread is ready, I'll post a notice here, and in the OOC.

Sydonai

But I do have one question though, can a mundane ever acquire 'the gift' at some point in the story like for example: the character's frequent close proximity to paranormal entities might have awaken his gift or perhaps the character reads from some forbidden magical tome that grants him/her powers in any one of the metaphysics?

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yes, actually. The general outline for that exists in the Mystery Codex. Basically, a mundane can, if there is a good plot reason, become "enlightened" by association with the supernatural. A mundane character can then buy the gift quality at double the point cost, and can use a metaphysics school reflecting their enlightenment. However, this is extremely unusual, and would take quite some time.

undisclosedtoyou

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

PeacethatPowerbrings

Thufir Hawat

Yay for the IC thread, time to update my bookmarks >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!