Monster Hunter's Academy (RWBY Inspired, System- see post)

Started by ShadowFox89, October 14, 2013, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs

Welcome to Blitz Academy! Here, under the tutelage of Headmaster Zeus and his teaching staff, young hunters from across the world are trained to fight against the darkness. Blitz Academy is formerly one of the fortresses of the old Faunian Wars, a war that tore the continent apart. Now, with dark forces threatening the lands again, a new generation of heroes is needed.

This is just an interest check. I'd like to run this using the Legend system, HOWEVER that means that you'll only need to worry about mechanics in a fight.

If you are still interested after hearing about the system I'd like to use, good! That means I can start working on a setting and baddies. For races, both humans and animal-people (bunnygirls, catgirls, etc, they looks like humans with a tail and ears of the animal and maybe one or two other parts).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

xPeachyPuff

I'm somewhat interested, but I've never used any sort of system, ever. So that's kinda putting me off. I'll have to think about it and will keep an eye on this thread.

- Rainbow

ShadowFox89

It's an easy system to learn, and I will gladly walk you through the process of learning how to play it.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

May I play?  You have great inspirational material and i'm starting to get comfortable with Legend system. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

eternaldarkness

I'm in. I'll get you a character concept and a sheet as soon as possible.

Chaeronea

Shadowfox I'm not familiar woth the Legend system. Is there someplace I can get an overview of it?

Is this set in the modern world with secret magic and monsters like Buffy or Rosario Vampire? Or is it set  in a fantasy world where magic and monsters are common knowledge?

Are mages permitted to attend the Academy? Or are they automatically considered evil?

ShadowFox89

ruleofcool.com has all the information on Legend. It's a D20 system, but again it is easy to learn. If you have trouble, I'll try to walk you through making a character.

The setting depends on what everyone is interested and most comfortable with. The most obvious style is similar to Eberron: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DungeonPunk

Mages are completely permitted to attend, Professor Zeus is known to combine lightning magic and spear fighting.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cessali

Put me in for interest expressed, either with an insatiably-curious dragon-kin Sage or a family-legacy honorable Paladin type with possible side of Masked Hero.

ShadowFox89

It looks like we have at least enough interest for me to get working on a setting, so that's good. What I'd like to do, is a little something different. I'll randomly generate different parts of the setting and everyone will get to vote on which of the options they like best based on the information given.

Like so
test
Time Period: Modern
Shaping Force: Religion
Population: Fairly even mix with slight majority of one race
   Politics
Political Structure: tribes - often warring
Strong Influence: military
Popular Issue: ethics
Stability: rapidly disintegrating

Personal Freedoms: decent
Scandals: common
Foreign Relations: shaky
   Economy
Main Resource: mining - metals
Main Export: military-related
Main Import: textile-related
Trade: major surplus

Strength: very strong, but declining
Wealth: fairly even, but with a wealth gap
Ecology
Main Climate: temperate - forested
Ocean: none
Mountains: a few
Frequent Trouble: droughts

Wilderness: 14%
Wild Animals: very rare
Natural Resources: very scarce
   Culture
Highly Values: ethics
Known For: natural vistas
Popular Entertainment: politics
Respected Profession: athlete

Discrimination: age-based
Major Taboo: displays of affection
Major Social Ill: drugs
   Military
Strength: average
Focus: land
Main Unit: commandos

Soldiers: volunteers
Main Use: quenching rebellion
Magic
Occurrence: very common
Source: granted by spirits
Major Use: personal combat

Viewed: as normal
Enchanted Items: common
   Religion
Type: animism
Focus: repentance
Worship: solemn public sacrifices by all

Associated Artform: ballads
Prevalence: believed by many
Holidays: few
   Population
Urban: 70%
Rural: 30%
Literacy Rate: 76%

Gender Ratio: 0.55 male(s)/female
Fertility Rate: 2.1 children/family
Life Expectancy: 79.9 years
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cessali

...with a few tweaks, that culture actually sounds like it could be a viable situation for a monster-hunting academy.  Gonna spitball here for a bit.

A society with a clannish or tribal bent, and a strong martial tradition, could easily make use of a group of specially-trained folk who officially claim no more than nominal allegiance to their parent tribe-- and thus, who have the social freedom to move between the lands and handle unusual or specialized trouble as it emerges.  When their time is done, they return to their house, strengthening it with the knowledge and the skills they've gained.

How do you export military services?  Mercenary contract work-- especially if there's a pressing need for skilled warriors to make war against the darkness.  Why is the political station destabilizing?  Arguments as to whether or not the nation's power should be so freely expended in merely serving other countries when their own lands are so poor, layered on top of ancient, generations-old tribal rivalries.  Families and tribes pay homage to particular lines of spirits, ancestors, elementals, fae, and little gods, and receive their boons to use against enemies.  A faith and religion that says "You are already far from the Divine by dint of your having been born," where mortals are seen as wandering souls who forsook the Good and the True and must atone accordingly, and the faith is kept in stories of those who have truly passed back into holy places.

A school like this could well be a cross between the Deathwatch of 40K and Exalted's Lookshy.

ShadowFox89

I'd like to hear from others before getting working on the setting xP

And for those not sure about the system, I can walk you through character creation step by step.

To tide you over, here's a pantheon.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Chief Deities:

Aerir, the Goddess of the Sea, Prophecy and Medicine, is eerily beautiful, with very pale skin, short, flowing medium brown hair, and eyes the color of rusted metal. She is medium height and muscular, and often looks sly. She usually wears a cloak dyed dark bronze and medium red.
She is also associated with dawn and money. She is often worshipped by magic-users. Her numerous followers can be primarily distinguished by the rites they perform. There are numerous carvings of her just outside of cities. There are many myths involving her happy relationship with Aluphoei. She is the cousin of Dronev. She is known to hinder virtuous mortals.

Eraeoe, the Goddess of Birds, Evil and Death Rites, is unusually beautiful, with bronzed skin, long, white hair, and eyes the color of banked coals. She is very short and of hearty build, and looks rather smug. She usually wears light armor dyed medium green and dark yellow.
She is also associated with mysteries. She is often worshipped by women. Her large numbers of followers can be primarily distinguished by their daily prayers. There are a few offerings to her in most cities. There are many myths involving her scandalous relationship with Aluphoei. She is the wife of Dronev. She is known to challenge random mortals.

Other Deities:

Aluphoei, the Goddess of Sorrow, is blindingly beautiful, with ashen skin, waist length, wavy pale golden hair, and eyes the color of spring greenery. She is medium height and very muscular, and rarely laughs. She usually wears formal attire dyed grey and green-brown.
She is also associated with destruction. She is often worshipped by priests. Her few followers can be primarily distinguished by the rites they perform. There are a large number of sacrifices to her in small villages. There are many myths involving her unlikely friendship with Eraeoe. She is the wife of Dronev. She is known to hinder peasants who ask for aid.

Dronev, the Goddess of Jesters, is shockingly beautiful, with sallow skin, short, curly light brown hair, and eyes the color of sparkling amber. She is tall and broad-shouldered, and often appears angry. She usually wears simple robes dyed gold and blue-black.
She is also associated with dogs and music. She is often worshipped by warriors. Her few followers can be primarily distinguished by their daily prayers. There are a large number of carvings of her in large cities. There are many myths involving her lustful relationship with Eraeoe. She is the sister of Naelu. She is known to occasionally mislead virtuous mortals.

Isaezyao, the God of Solstices, the Underworld and Winter, is an exotic beauty, with very pale skin, long, curly flaming red hair, and eyes the color of lightning bolts. He is tall and of average build, and almost never smiles. He usually wears rich robes dyed yellow-green and grey-blue.
He is also associated with madness, whistling and the sky. He is often worshipped by youths. His vast flocks of followers can be primarily distinguished by the shrines in their homes. There are a large number of shrines to him at the edge of forests. There are many myths involving his competetive relationship with Aluphoei. He is the son of Caidi. He is known to hinder random mortals.

Caidi, the Goddess of Souls and Wrath, is an exotic beauty, with fair skin, shoulder length, flowing red-gold hair, and eyes the color of dark rubies. She is very tall and very muscular, and usually has a guarded expression. She usually wears a tattered cloak dyed dark green and blue-green.
She is also associated with misery, graves and magic. She is often worshipped by the elderly. Her large numbers of followers can be primarily distinguished by the shrines in their homes. There are widespread sacrifices to her in large cities. There are many myths involving her ongoing arguements with Naelu. She is the wife of Aluphoei. She is known to give help to mortals seeking vengeance.

Dae, the God of Luck and Spring, is surprisingly ugly, with ashen skin, waist length, swirling dark brown hair, and eyes the color of moonlight. He is very short and willowy, and often looks sly. He usually wears a hooded cloak dyed yellow-orange.
He is also associated with disease and brawls. He is often worshipped by the wealthy. His many followers can be primarily distinguished by their ritual scars. There are a respectable amount of sacrifices to him in small villages. There are many myths involving his enduring friendship with Naelu. He is the brother of Dronev. He is known to send visions to great mortal heroes.

Naelu, the God of Debts and Theatre, is blindingly beautiful, with copper skin, long, light grey hair, and eyes the color of bright emeralds. He is very tall and willowy, and is usually laughing. He usually wears scant clothing, dyed medium yellow and pale violet.
He is also associated with day. He is often worshipped by the poor. His many followers can be primarily distinguished by the weapons they bear. There are many statues of him in most villages. There are many myths involving his illicit relationship with Aerir. He is the son of Isaezyao. He is known to send visions to mortal warriors.

Another option for a pantheon:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Chief Deity:

Fri, the Goddess of Nature, Spring and Autumn, is blindingly beautiful, with pale skin, long, rippling red-brown hair, and eyes the color of red wine. She is very tall and slender, and tends to look sad. She usually wears chain mail dyed light grey and gold.
She is also associated with disease. She is often worshipped by the wealthy. Her few followers can be primarily distinguished by the weapons they bear. There are more than a few statues of her in small villages. There are many myths involving her unhappy relationship with Laedar. She is the sister of Zuphus. She is known to give help to charismatic mortals.

Other Deities:

Jeatos, the God of Celebration and Justice, is shockingly beautiful, with tanned skin, long, wavy bright red hair, and eyes the color of bluejay eggs. He is medium height and willowy, and often seems angry. He usually wears simple robes dyed blue-violet.
He is also associated with resurrection. He is often worshipped by magic-users. His few, but dedicated followers can be primarily distinguished by the charms they carry with them. There are numerous altars dedicated to him in cities. There are many myths involving his lustful relationship with Laedar. He is the father of Painer. He is known to challenge random mortals.

Reaarri, the God of Mysteries, Travel and Inspiration, is blindingly beautiful, with fair skin, shoulder length, flowing dark red hair, and eyes the color of deep pits. He is very tall and muscular, and often appears angry. He usually wears a hooded cloak dyed pale brown.
He is also associated with death rites. He is often worshipped by wanderers. His many followers can be primarily distinguished by the weapons they bear. There are a respectable amount of shrines to him at crossroads. There are many myths involving his epic battles with Zuphus. He is the brother of Xaeao. He is known to have relationships with mortal warriors.

Xaeao, the God of Jesters, is an exotic beauty, with brown skin, waist length, red-brown hair, and eyes the color of the blue ocean. He is tall and very slender, and seldom smiles. He usually wears scant clothing, dyed dark blue.
He is also associated with innocence. He is often worshipped by women. His vast flocks of followers can be primarily distinguished by their tattoos. There are widespread sacrifices to him in military outposts. There are many myths involving his scandalous relationship with Painer. He is the cousin of Reaarri. He is known to give some help to mortal heroes.

Painer, the God of Strength and the Wilderness, is surprisingly ugly, with bronzed skin, short, flaming red hair, and eyes the color of amethyst. He is very tall and very slender, and looks somewhat malicious. He usually wears little clothing, dyed golden-brown.
He is also associated with holidays, death and birds. He is often worshipped by the elderly. His large numbers of followers can be primarily distinguished by the ritual greetings they use. There are a few statues of him on lonely roads. There are many myths involving his great debates with Reaarri. He is the brother of Fri. He is known to sometimes hinder mortal leaders.

Laedar, the God of Whistling, is divinely beautiful, with fair skin, short, rippling dark brown hair, and eyes the color of deep pools. He is very tall and of average build, and is usually frowning. He usually wears a tattered cloak dyed dark brown and bright blue.
He is also associated with flowers and sleep. He is often worshipped by wanderers. His vast flocks of followers can be primarily distinguished by their ritual scars. There are more than a few depictions of him in meadows. There are many myths involving his affair with Jeatos. He is the cousin of Painer. He is known to give advice to mortals with quests.

Zuphus, the Goddess of Duels, Dreams and Water, is divinely beautiful, with dark skin, short, auburn hair, and eyes the color of shining silver. She is short and very muscular, and rarely laughs. She usually wears light and airy robes dyed dark aqua.
She is also associated with the hearth and strife. She is often worshipped by wanderers. Her few followers can be primarily distinguished by the holidays they observe. There are a respectable amount of shrines to her near bridges. There are many myths involving her competetive relationship with Painer. She is the cousin of Fri. She is known to give aid to random mortals.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ghostwheel

I *think* I like Legend... still forming an opinion on it, but I'll throw my hat in here.

ShadowFox89

Okay, so, we have:
xSnorkleRainbow
Muse
EternalDarkness
Chaeronea
Jarick
Ghostwheel

I'd like to get confirmations from Snorkle, Chaeronea, and Jarick that they're still interested in the game, then I can get the setting posted up and such.

Edit: Character generation is level 2, standard array. If you need help I can walk you through things.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cessali

ShadowFox89

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188452.0

I'll write more up on the setting over time, and if you need any setting points written out let me know. There are 11 tribes, 10 human and one Blooded. The Blooded are essentially an excuse for me to include monstergirls in the setting.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

alextaylor

OMG! omgomgomgomg! Why haven't I noticed this before?

RWBY looks awesome. I'm going to spend pretty much all my free time watching those clips. Legend looks awesome too. Not perfect, but I needed a replacement for D&D and it goes through that just fine. And I've been looking for an adult monster huntress game for a while now. I'm a real sucker for both Steampunk and Dungeonpunk for a while now.

Alas, I'm short on time these days and stretching it between a few other games. And the Legend manual is rather thick to skim through.

If this has elements of Extreme/monster rape/tentacle impregnation kind of stuff, I'd drop pretty much every other hobby I'm doing and help you build worlds and whatever you like.
O/O

ShadowFox89

Well, the elements depends on what the group as a whole is willing to go for. I'm not going to force anyone into a situation that they don't want. So if the rest of the group is fine with going into the extreme/monster rape/tentacle impreg then it might be possible.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ghostwheel

Hrmmm, was going to play a female originally, but since one of my no-nos is my character getting raped, I might change to male since it seems to happen less often to them... :-\

ShadowFox89

If you don't want your character being raped, it won't happen.

Let me make this clear.

I will never put your character in a situation that conflicts with your offs. If you feel a situation is approaching one of your offs, I will change things around.[/u]
Call me Shadow
My A/A

alextaylor

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on October 26, 2013, 11:55:35 AM
Well, the elements depends on what the group as a whole is willing to go for. I'm not going to force anyone into a situation that they don't want. So if the rest of the group is fine with going into the extreme/monster rape/tentacle impreg then it might be possible.

Ha, yeah, just asking because the thread itself doesn't make the limits clear. I'm ok with a softer version too. It doesn't need the group to be involved, getting raped by NPCs is more a GM kink than anything ;) Just as long as nobody gets squicked out about it.
O/O

ShadowFox89

If need be, I can always do a separate thread for more extreme stuff.

And, again, if anyone needs help with a character let me know and I'll walk them through the process. We're starting at level 1 so that everyone can get a feel for the system.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

alextaylor

Chacter:Ariel
Ariel Glitterstorm

Race: Human

Class: Barbarian
Barbarian - Dervish Path of War (Medium)
- War Dance

Barbarian - Path of the Ancestors (Fast)
- 1st Circle: Guidance

Switch track: Vigilante (Slow)

10 HP/level
KOM Dex
KDM Con

Ability scores:
+2 to dexterity from human
Strength 12
Dexterity 18
Constitution 14
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 10
Charisma 14

Skills:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Stealth
Intimidate
Ride (+1 from human)
Perception

Feats:
On A Pale Horse [Iconic]
To Iron Married [Combat]

Items:
Light Chain Armor

Bladed Gauntlets +1
Melee, range [Melee], [Brutal], [Traumatizing], [Parrying], +1 to attack
Wolverine-styled claws come out of her gauntlets.

Wrist Rocket Launchers
Ranged, range [Medium], [Quick-draw], [Elemental Electricity], [Brutal]
Small rockets shoot out of her wrists, charged with sharp electrically charged darts.

Background:
Ariel killed her first creature at the age of 6. She killed her first man at the age of 14. She's signed up for just about every battle and war effort and became a front line soldier. But her tribe is just a little too eager to peace, and she finds herself quite restless. They also found her just a little too bloodlusty and often made excuses to keep her from joining the battles, because the methods she used disturbed the people on her own side.

Monster hunting was the perfect calling for her. Constant battles with no guilt and plenty of rewards. Killing a human was boring. They all acted the same way and had the same limits. Killing a monster needed different tactics. They bled differently and their guts were all different.

She came to Blitz Academy seeking a productive career in monster slaying.

Went for a multiclass character, so check that I'm doing it right. I don't really know how to format the character sheet since there so much stuff. Will add to it later for quick referencing.

My Limits are scat and pain. I don't like torture/bdsm scenes.
I'd say I dislike gore, but only because it's usually done poorly. Iffy on things like foot fetish, girl on girl, RL religion metaphors.
O/O

ShadowFox89

It looks good, though I'd like to warn you that, mechanics wise, Vigilante is hard to combine with other classes. What were you thinking up, in terms of fluff, as Ariel's fighting style? What is it that you want out of Vigilante?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Chaeronea

For my character I was thinking of doing up a martial character who has been trained as a dedicated bodyguard for spellcasters on the battlefield. I was originally thinking something like a DnD 4th edition swordmage, but from what I've seen in Legend the best martial defensive type is a paladin. My idea is for my character who was taught by a clan of warriors in service to a clan of mages, with the warriors being protectors on the battlefield like the Japanese yojimbo of the samurai era. 

Also, with the mix of magic and technology, how advanced is the tech? Is it the flintlock and muzzle-loader era like in some of the D&D settings like Eberron and the later days of the Forgotten Realms? Or is the technology as advanced as or more advanced than modern day tech, like in RWBY of Final Fantasy 7/8/10/13?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A