Zombies Ate My Brain! (Mafia Game)

Started by Remiel, November 14, 2010, 12:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

From the creator of Mafia Wars: Battle for Little Italy comes. . .

(a Mafia game)

T

he Mayans, it seems, were right after all.  The year is 2012: life, as we know it, is no more. 

No one knows how it began: perhaps it was a biological weapon, cooked up in a North Korean lab.  Perhaps it was a freak mutation of the superflu.  Perhaps it is merely God enacting His righteous punishment on us for our immoral and profligate ways.   Whatever the case, as best as anyone can figure out, it started somewhere in the southern U.S. in late July.    By the end of August, all of North America was overrun. 

By the end of October, 2012, 90% of the world's population was wiped out.

The first symptoms show up less than twenty-four hours after Infection.  It begins as a numbness in the limbs, followed by a gnawing hunger.  The skin turns grey and eventually rots; the victim loses all powers of rational thought, consumed with only one desire -- to feed on human brains.  By the time the symptoms become recognizable, it is too late.  The subject has become a Zombie.

No one knows why some people are miraculously immune.  Some mutation, some genetic quirk of DNA.  These people -- perhaps .001% of the population -- show a striking resistance to the zombie virus.  Perhaps, in some way, they're the lucky ones.

Somewhere in the Nevada desert, a cloister of survivors and refugees remains.  Tired, hopeless, low on supplies and ammunition, and surrounded by the ubiquitous undead tide,  they nevertheless fight to survive.

Are you one of the brave survivors?  Will you last long enough to see that hope and humanity remains?  Or will you be wiped out by the zombie hordes?

-----

Zombies Ate My Brain is a Mafia game.  Most of the players will be Survivors, living humans who do not know the identity of the Zombies lurking in their midst;  a few will be either Zombies or Infected.  The goal of the humans is to eliminate, by process of a vote, the Zombies until there are no more left; the goal of the Zombies is to either eliminate all of the survivors, by feasting on their delicious, delicious brains... or to Infect them so that they turn into more Zombies.

The game will consist of two phases, a Day phase and a Night phase.  During the Day phase, all players will vote on who they think is a zombie.  If a player receives the majority of the votes (that is, more than half the amount of votes possible) they will be exiled from the camp, effectively eliminating the player from the game. 

During the Night phase, the Zombies will get to choose their victims.  They may either choose someone to snack on (once again, eliminating them from the game) or Infect them, within certain conditions.   The circumstances under which a Zombie can Infect a human will be explained shortly.

The Zombie has a variant of the plague which allows him to act, look, and smell like a normal human; however, his mental faculties are already gone.  Although he seems normal, he thinks of nothing but feasting on sweet, sweet brains.  He also possesses the ability to Infect a Survivor, but only if he has snacked on brains the previous night.  In other words, a Zombie must successfully chow down on someone's brains in order to Infect someone else the next night.

The Infected are humans that have been, er, Infected by the zombie virus.  They still retain the capability for rational thought; however, unless treated by a Doctor or Nurse, they will become a Zombie within 24 hours.  If the Infected has a special role when this happens, he will lose his normal abilities and become a regular zombie.

Some of the Humans will have special roles, skills from their former lives which will come in handy in this situation. These are:

Doctor: The Doctor has a vaccine which he may use once per night.  If an Infected is treated by the vaccine, he will be cured of the disease (although he may subsequently be Infected again).  Unfortunately,  if the subject is already a Zombie, the vaccine will do nothing.  The Doctor has the ability to tell whether the vaccine worked or not; in addition, if the subject he treats is a Zombie, he will be informed of this.

Nurse:  Like the Doctor, the Nurse possesses a vaccine which will cure an Infected human of the zombie plague.  She will also be able to tell if it worked or not.  However, unlike the Doctor, she will not be able to tell if the subject she tries to treat is a Zombie (she will only be told if the vaccine worked or not).

Scientist: (back off, man, I'm a scientist!)  Surreptitiously taking DNA samples, the Scientist will be able to tell if any person is a human, an Immune, an Infected, or a Zombie.  May only test one subject per night.

Military Veteran: Due to his military training, he may protect one person a night from zombie attack.  He cannot protect against Infection, and may be Infected himself.

Survivalist: Raised his whole life in an anti-government commune militia in Montana, the Survivalist is paranoid to the extreme.  He has learned to sleep with his eyes open and keeps a gun under his pillow.  If a Zombie attempts to feast on the Survivalist's brains during the night, the Survivalist will instead kill the Zombie.  May still be Infected.  This is a passive ability.

Psychic: The Psychic will know, at all times, how many Zombies and how many Infected there are, but not know their identities. This is a passive ability.

There will also be a small number of Immune survivors, who cannot be Infected.  They can still be snacked upon by Zombies, though.

When the game starts there will be (1) Zombie and (1) Infected.  The number of Immune will depend on the total number of players.

Also, for those of you who are experienced Mafia game players, I am going to implement the following rule, which will be slightly different from what you're used to:

A plurality of votes will no longer be enough to exile a character from the camp.   To exile someone, a character must have a majority by the end of the allotted time period, or no one is exiled at all.

In other words, let's say there are 11 survivors left.  John has 5 votes, Jane has 3, and Tom has 3.  If John does not get 6 votes by the end of the allotted time, John survives the day.  Bear this in mind when casting your vote!

Remiel

1. Ryven
2. Geeklet
3. Rhedyn
4. Marguerite
5. Esoteric Myobi
6. Leorobin
7. Aiden
8. Moirae
9. Professor Loki Caprion
10. Beguile's Mistress
11. rottenaim
12. Kyrsa
13. Valerian
14. Imogen
15. Transgirlenstein
16. Izu

Ryven

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss!  Sign me up!

*shambles around*  Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains~

Geeklet

Never been involved in a Mafia game before but I've always been interested in one. I'd like to give this a go.

Ryven

Rhedyn

I've not played a Mafia game before either, but I like the sound of this one and would like to try it *grins*

Marguerite

*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Esoteric Myobi

Oh! Oh! Pick me, pick me! =D

-jumps up and down waving hand excitedly-

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Zelric Miras

Aiden

desert ashes

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Professor Loki Caprion

The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

Esoteric Myobi

-glomps Loki-

Bwahahahha! I am victorious!

You can haz your hostage fish back nao ;D

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

rottenaim

Sounds like tons of fun! I'd love to play, if that's okay.  :-)

Remiel

Of course!

Okay, that's 11 out of 16.  I'll try to see if I can wheedle a couple other people into joining; we may start with 13 or 14 if it looks like that's all I can get.

Kye

Sign me up since you need more players.  ;)

Professor Loki Caprion

The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

Marguerite

How many more? I can look around and see if someone is interested.

Remiel

Well, I was able sweet-talk Kyrsa, Imogen, and Valerian into joining.  *beams*  I owe all three of you a big batch of Christmas fudge.

I'll wait a few more days, just in case I have any last-minute takers, and then I'll get going.

Marguerite

Did you dance for them and flash your kilt?

-Chuckles-

Remiel

No, but I probably would've if any of 'em had asked. ;)

Marguerite

My, my, Val did not ask to peek under? I am very impressed.

Kye

Wait... there was a chance to peek under the kilt!?! Damn! I need to learn to hold out longer... *coughs*  ;)

Valerian

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Beguile's Mistress

Some did such a good job of stealth peeking he didn't know we had! ;D