Exalted Interest Check

Started by Ajoxer, October 22, 2006, 09:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I wasn't getting any mentions on the main board, SO....

Essentially, the idea will revolve around a group of Dragon-Blooded, thrown together shortly after the Great Contagion. Fairly standard beginning DB characters, but with a little twist... Their Essence is extremely rare- A somehow enhanced Essence, that can survive the death of the holder. When one of these Dragon-Blooded dies, their Essence races to an offspring, one who is at the age ready to Exalt, but who hasn't yet, and springs out. At first, the powers of their old life are trapped, but as they study, it takes hold, propelling them forward in life far faster than most would expect. I'm going to have to write up a ( lengthy) example of such, but that'll wait till tomorrow. This whole thing was inspired by Hawkman, but... Yeah. I'm interested in getting thoughts, opinions, etcetera- And yes, I know these Dragon-Blooded will get fairly high-end, but that's a part of the idea- seeing what ends up when Dragon-Blooded start to surpass anything that's expected of them, how the Sidereal will react, what effect it will have when the Solars start returning, etcetera, etcetera- and, of course, why such a great number of these extremely rare Dragon-Blooded have appeared at once.

I'm thinking of seeing if we can run this game in the chats, using a board as a place to post transcripts and keep track of statistics, for the sake of speed, as this will be a rather long-term game. I might even think about a hybrid game- Having weekly meetings on the chat, for some high-speed gaming, and then posting during the rest of the week.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Zaer Darkwail

I am intrested always for exalt game whit dragon-blooded characther :). I would imagine reason for such occurence can be extra powerfull brotherhood vow whcih binds their essences together and so their memories. Basically so long there is one exalt of the group living those who reborn again get their premier bearers memories from that single living connection to their past.

Muse

ooh!  that does sound neat.  i'd be intrested. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NikitaFirestar

Don't know much about it, but I could probably give it a try!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Ajoxer

FINALLY put together a little example of one of the primary concepts- Reincarnation.

Let me know what you think...
For my example, we shall assume Cynis Takgana, from Aspect Book Earth, has the rare essence that allows him to Reincarnate.
Element: Earth
Concept: Young Monk
Nature: Survivor
Attributes:
Physical, Prim,    Social, Tert    Mental, Sec 4 BP
Strength: 4, 24      Charisma: 2      Perception: 3
Dexterity: 5,      Manipulation: 4   Intelligence: 4
Stamina: 4      Appearance: 2      Wits: 3

25 points in favored/Caste abilities. 15 BP spent.
20 points in non-favored, 0 BP spent.
X Awareness: 1, 3
X Craft: 2, 4
X Endurance: 3, 7
X Martial Arts: 5, 19
X Resistance: 3, 7
/ Dodge: 5, 19
/ Survival: 3, 7
/ Medicine: 3, 7
Lore: 2, 5
Stealth: 2, 5
Melee: 3, 9
Presence: 2, 5
Socialize: 2, 5
Brawl: 1, 3
Bureaucracy: 1, 3
Investigation: 4, 15
Archery: 1, 3
Performance: 1, 3
Ride: 1, 3

Artifact: 2
Backing: 3
Breeding: 2
Connections: 1
Henchmen: 1
Mentor: 3

Charms: All Immaculate
Force of the Mountain
Unmoving Mountain Stance
Stone Dragon Skin
Earth Dragon Form
Shattering Fist Strike
Weapon-Breaking Defense
Stillness of Stone
Earthshaker Attack
Hungry Earth Strike

70 Experience Points
Willpower: 9
50 Experience points worth
Essence: 4

Compassion: 4, 18
Conviction: 3, 9
Temperance: 2, 3
Valor: 3, 9

A few useful charts…
Attributes, 1: 0      2: 4      3:12      4:24      5: 40
Abilities, Favored, 1: 3   2: 4      3: 7      4: 12      5: 19
Abilities, 1: 3         2: 5      3: 9      4: 15      5: 23
Essence   2: 0      3: 20      4: 50      5: 90
Willpower 2: 0 3: 4 4: 10 5: 18 6:28 7: 40 8: 54 9: 70 10: 88
Virtues 1: 0    2: 3       3:9      4: 18      5: 30

For Attributes, abilities, Essence, Willpower, and Virtues, take three quarters of the Experience there, and invest it back into the stat- Leftover experience is ‘banked’.

For instance, for Cynis’ Essence, he has 50 points in it. So, he’s left with 37.5 Experience, rounding up to 38 Experience. This leaves him with an Essence of only three at his next Exaltation, HOWEVER, he has already banked 18 experience points towards the next level of Essence, requiring only 12 experience points to reach Essence 4. They also keep two thirds of their Charms, rounded up, chosen by the player, gaining an additional 4 at their next incarnation, or 2 Immaculate charms.

After dying, the character gains an additional 15 Bonus Points to spend on increasing their abilities at the next incarnation. The basic idea might be a little bit reminiscient of transmigration in Disgaea, which is good, as that’s a useful example.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, it sounds quite bit powered up version of dragon-blooded. But I do not mind if I have 4 extra charms (or two immaculate charms) in addition to normal and have somewhat pool of starting XP to create my char plus bonus BP :).

Ajoxer

The characters, of course, will start as regular Dragon-Blooded, so things won't start to get (more) unusual until after they die once. Then, their nature will start to reveal itself...

robitusinz

Doh...I've been re-reading my Exalted books, jonesing to play the game again.  Unfortunately, I'm truly only familiar with Solars, since the only books I own are the main book and the player's guide.

I'm thinking if you give me the character creation rules and costs for DBs, I could take it from there...I know about DBs RP/story-wise, just not mechanically.

Also, what's the proposed schedule for chat games?  I like the chat idea, but worried about being commiting then not being able ot make it.
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Ajoxer

I'd say we'd probably want to set the times sometime during the weekend, around mid-day.

Also, Jefepato gave me a brilliant idea. It will require a little more paperwork, but it should help the characters start off as somewhat unusual, and help kick things up a bit. Essentially, start in your second life- Create a first life, and stat it out with 200 Experience. Pay attention to detail, etcetera, etcetera. Then, reincarnate them, as if they had already died.

This is, of course, kinda complicated, but hopefully, it won't add an INORDINATE amount of time to the creation. Also, Robitusin, if you can contact me via AIM, I can help you with that- HomerinNYC.

Remember, kids, don't ABUSE the Experience! Game will be taking place, as mentioned, shortly after the establishment of the Scarlet Empress' reign, so the main foes are probably going to be Fair Folk, but I promise nothing as far as timeline with the release of Solars and such. Nyahah. I'm probably going to aim for one of each Aspect Dragon-Blooded, also... So, post concepts, I'll see if I can figure out some more about this.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I cannot be on chats on weekends because I play WoW during that time (the only time in the week I can play WoW is ONLY on weekends). But I can join in any board based posting or any scheluded chat time on weekdays expect on tuesdays or fridays. My concept is around generall (Fire Aspect) who uses Crimson Blossom Pentacle (the spear using) martial art style and hves special eyes which can see flow of essence and can so sometimes comprehend what his foe is up to by just observing his essence.

Muse

Sorry, was this using Second Edition fr first? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ajoxer

If I can get hold of the books, Second Edition.

Jefepato

Quote from: Ajoxer on November 09, 2006, 07:46:41 AM
If I can get hold of the books, Second Edition.

You can indeed.

I'm thinking of playing a character who was a combat badass (possibly an Immaculate or some other sort of martial artist) in her previous life, but is currently studying medicine and healing (and is totally lost as to where she learned how to hurt people and break things).  Probably a Water Aspect.

Scroll of the Monk is coming out in less than a week, though, so I'd really like to see what's in there before I design my character's first life.

(By the way, supposedly one of the developers for the 2e DB book stated that Immaculate PCs get their five starting Charms in addition to the two initiation Charms they need.  I'm going to see if I can find that statement again, because it's very different and significantly better than in 1e.)

Muse

Ajoxer

One of the Lookshy type armor suits? It depends which one, but having your character having liberated one in their previous life, and then leaving it in some careful spot that his reincarnation remembers might be a reasonable reason.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I cannot play in second edittion game because I lack the books then :P. But I play if we use the first edittion tough (or I am given serious upragde tips when we move to second edittion).

Jefepato

Quote from: Ajoxer on November 10, 2006, 08:54:44 AM
One of the Lookshy type armor suits? It depends which one, but having your character having liberated one in their previous life, and then leaving it in some careful spot that his reincarnation remembers might be a reasonable reason.

The question is, though, was the first life of one of these DBs ever made aware that he was going to reincarnate?

Ajoxer

He may still have left it somewhere safe for HIMSELF to come back to, then died without telling anybody about it.

Muse

I thought that the empire had a few as well? 

Perhaps in my first life I was fighting for the fifth legion against the fey, stashed my equipment somewhere, and then remembered it in the next incaration? 

Ajoxer

Might work- Might even make a nice side-quest, too.

Ajoxer

ALRIGHT! Finally Finals are just about over, and I'm ready to begin work on this game! Everyone who's still interested, let me know. We're doing Second Edition, I'm going to want to set up prologues with all of you. One of the major themes of the prologue scenes will be living up to your ancestors, so let's get some stuff started. I'll see if I can get the game made, under Exotic NC- Because this IS Exalted- and start things up. I'm still tossing around ideas for name, but maybe Exalted DB: The Thousand Connected Scales, something like that.