The "Did you know...?" Game

Started by Adammair, January 26, 2012, 03:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercurio123

Ha! no I didn't but it's funny.

Did you know that the Higgs Boson, also known as the God Particle came by that name not by any religious means? Apparently either during a discussion or otherwise they were talking about "that goddamn particle" because of all other particles in the model it has proved to have been very elusive and frustrations ran high.
However when trying to print that as a book title the editors dropped the damn to not offend anyone and thus the moniker became "god particle" and has stuck ever since.

ThatOneGuy

I did, surprisingly

Did you know that I existed before this point?

Mercurio123

Nope I did not.

Did you know that from a solipsistic view you still do not exist?

mindoverantimatter

No, I did not.

Did you know that of the roughly 11,500 firefighters in New York City, only 31 are women.

Mercurio123

No I did not, damn that's very few women.

Did you know that alcohol is more addictive than Marijuana?

ThatOneGuy

Yes, give me a harder one.

Did you know that people with OCD are 10% more likely to get a minimum-wage job?

Love And Submission

Nope. Weird.

Did you know there was a television channel that only showed footage of puppies? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppy_Channel

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Mercurio123

Lol No I did not

Did you know that the reason you see house spiders a lot more during autumn is because they are looking for a mate? Basically the spiders you see during autumn are just horny.... now does that make it better or worse?

Remy

Doesn't help.   I just don't want to see them getting busy before I squash them.

Did you know 8% of people have an extra rib?

Petronius

I didn't, but I'm sure there's some pop-theology implication to that.

Did you know that the original patent for the fire hydrant was lost? The building it was housed in burned down.

Miss Lilly

How ironic is that? No I didn't know.

Did you know that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas? 
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Dominic

I remember reading about that somewhere.

Did you know that to perform an optimal vocal fry, it is best to angle one's head down and slightly forward?

Remy

Had to google it, so no, I didn't know it.

Did you know a Mantis shrimp punches its prey with more force than a .22 caliber bullet.?

Mercurio123

Yes I did. Sea aquariums need to deploy some really strong glass to contain them.

Did you know that it's freaky eyes can have receptors for 12 different colours. in fact their eyes are so strange that it should have depth perception with just one eye.

Random

I most certainly did not know that.

Did you know that an ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain?

Mercurio123

I heard it before but didn't think it was true, a google later confirms its veracity, and learned a few other random ostrich facts in the process.

Did you know that the above process is called tangential learning?

Kevak

I knew so at one point but currently do not.

Did you know that the moon is moving away from the earth at a rate of one inch per year?

HannibalBarca

Yes, I blame Isaac Asimov for me knowing that one...you are missed, oh mutton-chopped One...

Did you know that all remaining historical knowledge of Hannibal Barca comes from his mortal enemies, the Romans--his contemporary, the Greek/Roman historian Polybius, and the contemporary of Augustus Caesar, Livy?

(I'm a historian--shoot me.)
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Random

That's another one I had no clue about.

Did you know that Rome’s population of more than a million was not matched by any other European city until London finally over took it in the nineteenth century?

Elysian Radiance

Necro-ing because bored!

I did not know the previous fact!

Did you know...

When a cat purrs, it creates vibrations between 20-140 Hz, known to be medically therapeutic for many illnesses?
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Mercurio123

I knew the frequency but that is about it.

Did you know that in Indonesia children are initially named by number? for this reason you will get a lot of people looking at you when you call out Wayang (1)

gaggedLouise

That was new to me - and fascinating.

To produce iron in nature, temperatures of perhaps three billion degrees (Kelvin or Centigrade) are required, and it can only begin to happen in the heart of some heavy, hot, giant stars during a very short span of time before the star fully collapses or explodes. The sun, by comparison, reaches about fifteen million degrees in its core. I had heard of how iron was coming at the peak of a series of transmogrifications of elements, but had no idea of how rare the conditions were: did you know?

(give this a thought next time you use some quite ordinary object of steel or iron. or just the railway lines!)  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Adammair

I didn't know that. That leads me to ponder how iron was first produced in nature, and logic and common sense would indicate that our sun must have at some point in history (going WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY back :P ) reached that crucial temperature and has since cooled to a more tolerable level to support life. Now, being the somewhat-amateur science geek/full-time mostly atheist/part-time pagan I am...I have to think that at the time of the big bang, it was actually a bigger bang than we surmise, creating more intense and abundant amounts of heat and light to be able to create the entire universe, or multiverse, depending on one's view.

Did you know that we can philosophize about pretty much anything and everything? ;D

Mercurio123

I believe that is a given.

Did you know what windows 10 will be free for anyone willing to upgrade 7 or 8 within the first year of it's release?
(yes I'm low on interesting facts. sorry)

LillithTheThird

I had heard that.  Did you know that it will be released with a 'Siri' like component named Cortana, which is the same name as the AI in Halo?
Fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.....

I'll probably just be your slave anyway.