News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 25, 2010, 02:55:00 PM
Problem is that for the first few hours, the story is paper thin. After that, well, you can do the other factions' quests, as I've been doing ( going on 20 hours on my first character now, heh ), but the problem with that is ... I don't feel like doing the main story. I have no desire to help any of the factions, or help myself to power for that matter. Worse than that, too, I can't really tell what effect doing one thing in the main quest is going to have. I'm at a point where I've recovered the chip ( don't get me started on how hard it was to figure out just what to do in the Fort bunker ), but I have no idea what to do next. Or even what my options are. A better explanation would've been sweet.

Right now, I'm basically wandering around, kicking ass. It's great. But I miss the personal and somewhat more focused story of Fallout 3. Moral choices and all that are fine. Plot choices where I don't really feel strongly one way or the other, eh ... not so much.
I didn't find it paper thin at all. It's just not all there; that's the charm. Sure, I'm a lowly letter carrier for some dude in Primm but when you look back on the story especially after beating it. It's well done. Seriously, I think you can literally kill every faction head in the game if that's what you want to do. I've not tried it but I'm sure you can walk into Ceasar's camp and cap the pseudo-Roman SOB or walk into Fort McCarren and off Oliver (wherever he is I don't know) You can even do missions for the Brotherhood of Steel maybe they have an Arch in the main plot (I don't know I blew them up) you just got to be willing to hoof it I suppose. Hell there's one mission where you can watch President Kimball get killed and then turn on House.

It's a very fluid storyline but it's low-maintenance.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 25, 2010, 03:10:10 PM
It's not the same without Prime :(
I know but another giant robot would have been trite. "Communism is not the answer!"
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Is there a Chinese robot? =3 That'd make a neat story arc, if remnants of Pre-War china got a hold of Liberty's remains and rebuilt him in secret.

"Communism is the answer. WE are the answer!"

Geeklet

Quote from: Hemingway on October 25, 2010, 02:36:54 PM
I agree completely, except that it's not technically a sequel. It's easily bigger/longer than Fallout 3 content wise, and, hell, it doesn't even play quite the same way. More emphasis on skills and followers, I guess.

If only the story weren't a bit ... lacking?

Sequel to Fallout 3? No. Sequel to Fallout 1 & 2? Most definitely.

As far as the story being lacking and not personal? It starts by you getting shot in the head, and going after the person responsible. Oh sure, later on, you find out you have been thrown into the middle of this multi-sided confrontation. At least there is no clear cut "good" and "evil" faction.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on October 25, 2010, 03:15:42 PM
I didn't find it paper thin at all. It's just not all there; that's the charm. Sure, I'm a lowly letter carrier for some dude in Primm but when you look back on the story especially after beating it.

It's hard to explain. The story just feels too large-scale and impersonal. Disjointed at times, leaving me with no idea of what to do next. I just started doing missions for the NCR, because I had no clear notion of what to do.  I can think of way worse examples than this, but the way I see it, the game is most enjoyable when you're doing a chain of quests for one faction, rather than trying to piece together the over-arching plot. They could've been more creative with some of the quests, but that's a minor thing by comparison, not really something I'm concerned about.

I think that, above all, the story could've been more exciting if they'd left out the platinum chip bit, the whole deal with Mr. House and all. They could've focused on making the other stuff more interesting.

Quote from: GeekletAs far as the story being lacking and not personal? It starts by you getting shot in the head, and going after the person responsible. Oh sure, later on, you find out you have been thrown into the middle of this multi-sided confrontation. At least there is no clear cut "good" and "evil" faction.

You get shot in the head, and ... that's about as personal as the story gets. The rest of the time, at least in my experience, you spend preparing one faction or another for war. Or trying to figure out why you can't just throw the platinum chip away.

That damn platinum chip, now I can't get over it!

Worst of all, though?

I mean, the one thing that would instantly have made this game twice as good? The one thing they left out, that just begs to be in the game?

Me, in Veronicas pants. Or ... Scribe robes. I guess.

Edit: I was just about to assassinate Papa Khan. I was in his room, stealthed, but didn't have a silenced weapon that could take him out in one shot, being more partial to high tech weapons of mass destructions ... but I figured, I'd come that far, so there had to be some way I could take him out in his sleep ... That was when I noticed the leftover plasma grenades in my inventory. The rest sort of followed from there.

Scribe08

Sabby

Dude, I just dug up a real gem while passing the bargain bin. Darkwatch ^^

cirdanf

I'm playing league of legends! Add me! Username: Cirdanf

:D !
www.f-list.net/c/cirdan

Check for nice insight :)

Hemingway

Anyone else get the impression the guy with the guitar near Helios One is the Mysterious Stranger's son?

Oh, and I'm no huge fan of Elvis, but I chuckled when I figured out that all of the King's comments regarding the NCR in Freeside were names of songs. Seems to be a recurring theme in the game.

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on October 26, 2010, 11:57:55 AM
Anyone else get the impression the guy with the guitar near Helios One is the Mysterious Stranger's son?

Interesting.

Wolfy

Anyone know if Steam is having problems?...i can't access the store page.

edit: nevermind, it's just being slow. o-o

Inkidu

I would be playing Fable III right now--for it is awesome--but my brother is being a 360 addict at the moment.... is steamed

Bentley

I beat Fable 3 in about 12 hours. I paid for for rushing through though, so I have to start another playthrough.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Wolfy

Say guys...think I should pick up Guild Wars? or Should I just wait for GW2 to come out?

Sabby

I got Risen on the way. Will have it on Tuesday. It shall erase the bad taste that is Gothic 4 x.x

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2010, 09:33:55 PM
I got Risen on the way. Will have it on Tuesday. It shall erase the bad taste that is Gothic 4 x.x

Coulda had a Fable 3. o3o

Sabby

Fuck Fable.

Yeah, you heard me >.>

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2010, 10:15:10 PM
Fuck Fable.

Yeah, you heard me >.>

We both know you secretly want to, Sabby...good job announcing it to the world. :P

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on October 27, 2010, 10:15:10 PM
Fuck Fable.

Yeah, you heard me >.>

I second that stament! The one RPG more boring and shitty then Gothic 4 is Fable 2. one word, ewww!
Ragtime Dandies!

Nyarly

Quote from: Wolfy on October 25, 2010, 08:53:48 AM
I say you should just enjoy the Wild Wasteland Trait like I am. ^-^...Aliens and everything, man...Plus you can kill them and take their unique laser rifle.
Fallout had this stuff without the need for a trait. It's rather weird anyway, considering that the humor is (or was) a big part of Fallout. There is an IJBM about it in the TV Tropes forum...

I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment and will get New Vegas next week. I only regret that I didn't pre-order the Austrian version from Gamestop. The chance that I get an uncut version is next to nothing.

MercyfulFate

Beat the main quest of Fallout New Vegas, good game but glitchy and buggy. I'll go back and replay it with different outcomes soon

Hemingway

I can't get Fable 3 yet, as I've been buying an ungodly number of games this month, but tell me this - is it any good? I, for one, absolutely loved Fable 2.

Wolfy

Hmm...Think I should get Fallout 2 or 1? o3o They have both up on Steam for $10...and well, I have $10 to spend. lol

Sabby

I'm a little overwhelmed by New Vegas at the moment... got about a dozen quests going, and a lot of them have about 2 or 3 optional parts. I look at my quest window and just go "Fuck it, I'm listening to Radio Bam"