Interest Check: Space Shenanigans of the Stupidly Rich

Started by Rook Seidhr, October 29, 2012, 11:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Truhan

Rook Seidhr

Okay…looks like I have enough interest that I should start figuring out how to strip down Traveller character creation so we can do it without a half-dozen books and an hour of dice-rolling per character, like it usually does. This will be an interesting challenge to my rules-hacking skills ^_^;

Once I have some character creation rules, I'll probably put them on the wiki, and you can all start making character sheets.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask questions, and additional players please feel free to keep registering interest!

evangel

Awesome. Will you want us to read anything if we're unfamiliar with the Travelers' setting or rules?

Triggvi

what does the character cast look like at this point.

I am kind of leaning toward the body guard-ex-imperial marine, but I can do the rich kid too.

Leyarite

Quote from: Riveda on November 02, 2012, 04:32:18 AM
Psionics are known in the Third Imperium, and illegal as hell. That said, there are always people who find advantage in something illegal.
Not going to invest time in drawing a deck plan until I know how many passengers I have :)

It will be a small ship as starships in Traveller go, 200 or 300 dt probably (yeah, I know, meaningless; suffice to say you can't get much smaller than that and still have a jump drive). At a rough guess, a crew of 6 or fewer, at least 5 luxury staterooms for passengers and some less luxurious ones for crew and servants. Most likely there will be one passenger deck containing all the luxury quarters and some or all of the servants' quarters, with other deck(s) dedicated to crew functions, ship's systems, a small cargo hold, etc.

Alright, sounds good, I'll find a justification but... can you give me a list of those Psi capabilities ?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: evangel on November 02, 2012, 12:01:02 PM
Awesome. Will you want us to read anything if we're unfamiliar with the Travelers' setting or rules?
The Wikipedia entry makes a good start. We will be using a stripped-down, simplified version of Mongoose Traveller, with some elements from other versions behind the scenes.

Sometime in the next week or so, I will pull together a more detailed setting briefing for those unfamiliar with the game.

Darrow Huck

I might be interested in playing either a conman who has convinced the kids that he's a knowledgeable guide to the galaxy (He's really just trying to sneak off of the planet) or a young rich man who is a talented pilot and gunman but who has horribly unrealistic ideas of what being a space adventurer is like.

Rook Seidhr

Updated player list with tentative characters:

• Triggvi, ex-Imperial Marine bodyguard for the noble whose parent owns the ship, or said noble
  • NicciKotor, dangerously sexy bounty hunter
  • Branwen, low-ranking crew member, or personal servant to a rich PC
  • evangel, rich asshole
  • Marie Reynolds, popular entertainer, or noblewoman with a submissive secret
  • Leyarite, kind and noble nobleman
  • Prince Truhan, rich guy
  • mia h, one of the wealthy people

OK, if everyone currently listed actually turns in a good character sheet, we have plenty of rich people. I am pleased.

Quote from: Leyarite on November 02, 2012, 01:11:08 PM
Alright, sounds good, I'll find a justification but... can you give me a list of those Psi capabilities ?
Telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance, body control (buffing yourself, basically), teleportation, and occasional "special" talents that don't fit with the above. Most psis have one or two of the above talents at most, and not particularly strongly. You can't use your psi powers for very long without running out of juice (psi strength points).

I have an idea for how a noble could have psi powers…I'll PM you soon.

Quote from: Darrow Huck on November 02, 2012, 04:56:03 PM
I might be interested in playing either a conman who has convinced the kids that he's a knowledgeable guide to the galaxy (He's really just trying to sneak off of the planet) or a young rich man who is a talented pilot and gunman but who has horribly unrealistic ideas of what being a space adventurer is like.
The first idea overlaps quite a lot with NicciKotor's character, so I'm going to veto it.

The second one…you'd probably have to be the one whose parent owned the ship in order to convince the captain to let you pilot it, ever, even for a minute. But Triggvi doesn't want to play that character, so it's all good!

Just so you know: combat in Traveller is famously deadly. Getting into extended firefights is a good way to die or be horribly wounded, even for experienced characters. Starship combat…well, with such a small ship, unless it's a case of "hold them off for a few minutes while Mactavish charges the jump drive," or unless you're fighting an even smaller ship (it does happen), better just surrender.

Darrow Huck

Yeah, I know, I've played the system.

Speaking of which, since we're trying to play pre-defined characters, which the character system really isn't about-

I'd suggest we create characters with one or two of whatever terms we want each, plus 20 or 30 weeks worth of whatever skills we want.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Darrow Huck on November 02, 2012, 05:25:05 PM
Yeah, I know, I've played the system.
Saying it for everyone's benefit, not just yours.

Quote from: Darrow Huck on November 02, 2012, 05:25:05 PM
I'd suggest we create characters with one or two of whatever terms we want each, plus 20 or 30 weeks worth of whatever skills we want.
That's something like what I have in mind. Anyone who actually has the Mongoose Traveller books can roll up a character if they wish, but I'm inclined to ask new players a few questions about what kind of skills and background they want their characters to have and then roll for them, cheating on occasion to make sure they get what they asked for and not something useless and unplayable.

Leyarite

Quote from: Riveda on November 02, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
[...]
Telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance, body control (buffing yourself, basically), teleportation, and occasional "special" talents that don't fit with the above. Most psis have one or two of the above talents at most, and not particularly strongly. You can't use your psi powers for very long without running out of juice (psi strength points).

I have an idea for how a noble could have psi powers…I'll PM you soon.
[...]

So many choices ! I think I will pick 1 or 2 power(s) socially oriented. I'm not really interested in combats, we will have plenty of characters able to defend the weaklings like my noble.
About the PM, please do so :) 

Darrow Huck

I'm looking for a good excel character sheet right now.

Branwen

Thank you, Riveda. I appreciate your hard work, updates and guidance. Please let me know what I may do to help. I am fine with whatever decisions you make regarding character creation. Also, if no one needs a personal assistant or servant, and there is a crew role you need filled, please tell me and I will play that role.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Branwen on November 02, 2012, 05:51:54 PM
Also, if no one needs a personal assistant or servant, and there is a crew role you need filled, please tell me and I will play that role.
The #1 most important crew role for this game will be what's called the "steward," the ship's officer in charge of catering to the needs of the passengers. Part cruise director, part chef, part butler. It's a demanding and often thankless task. Does that appeal to you, Branwen?

Branwen

Ready and willing to serve, Grand Admiral Poobah Riveda!

evangel

Out of pure idle curiosity, does your job description include part stress relief for the on-board stupidly rich?   :-)

Anyway, thanks for streamlining the process for us, Riveda. I really appreciate it as well.

Branwen

Quote from: evangel on November 03, 2012, 01:45:04 PM
Out of pure idle curiosity, does your job description include part stress relief for the on-board stupidly rich?   :-)

I'm not sure, sir.  Would you please excuse me so I may check my contract and return to you with an answer shortly?

:)

evangel

Bah! Every contract has an unwritten clause on how to append or amend. With stupidly large amounts of cash, of course!

Branwen

Sir?  I've checked.  Paragraph C (iii) of Part 17 says I may be expected to perform other such duties as assigned.  It refers me to Addendum BH122 but it appears to be missing...  Do you happen to have a copy of it or can you tell me what the other such duties might be?

NicciKotor

Quote from: evangel on November 03, 2012, 01:45:04 PM

Anyway, thanks for streamlining the process for us, Riveda. I really appreciate it as well.

If you are going to be the yacht owner, then you and I are going to be very very close. I do just loooove cute boys with fast ships.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

evangel

Really? It's gone?

Torn away conveniently? I could have sworn the contents include the clientele having the express privilege to pull you away and utilize the application of your skills for the purposes of recreation.

-stuffs miscellaneous shred of contract in mouth-

Mmffh. Soy-based ink.

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 03, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
If you are going to be the yacht owner, then you and I are going to be very very close. I do just loooove cute boys with fast ships.

Eh? What do you mean, dea--Yes. I own this flying crib. How'd you like it?

Branwen

Recreation?  Oh, yes sir.  I'll go fetch the checkers set and we'll have a game.

NicciKotor

Quote from: evangel on November 03, 2012, 02:16:43 PM

Eh? What do you mean, dea--Yes. I own this flying crib. How'd you like it?

Casually removes my own bikini top and casually throws it off to the side. "Well I suppose we could discuss how much maneuverability and thrust it has Mister..."
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Branwen

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 03, 2012, 02:21:35 PM
Casually removes my own bikini top and casually throws it off to the side. "Well I suppose we could discuss how much maneuverability and thrust it has Mister..."
That is hilarious!

evangel

Quote from: Branwen on November 03, 2012, 02:20:13 PM
Recreation?  Oh, yes sir.  I'll go fetch the checkers set and we'll have a game.

-bangs head on keyboard-

Well played, ma'am. I will get you one day! And not in checkers, unless that's your flavor in lingerie.

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 03, 2012, 02:21:35 PM

Yes. What's especially captivating is how well it penetrates the atmosphere. Bit of a rough ride, but I get the feeling you'll like that.

God, I have to get into this ship-owning business.  :-X