Pathfinder Kingdom Building (interest check)

Started by Autocad, July 04, 2016, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocad

Interest check for a kingdom building game based on Pathfinder's kingdom building rules.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/kingdom-building

It could be based on Kingmaker book 2 or something homebrew.

Players get to be in positions of power like being ruler, general, spymaster, etc., all that good stuff.

A turn would be a month run using the kingdom rules, with a small event (perhaps one encounter's worth) each turn for the personal touch.

Feel free to chime in with interest or suggestions.

Jaded

I would potentially be interested.  Is Kingmaker similar to the Ultimate Campaign version?
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/kingdomsAndWar.html

Chulanowa

Would the characters start off with wresting the kingdom for themselves, or will they be starting already in charge of a kingdom? Or a little of both, "you're in charge, now go build a kingdom"?

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Tamhansen

Quote from: Jaded on July 04, 2016, 09:53:43 PM
I would potentially be interested.  Is Kingmaker similar to the Ultimate Campaign version?

The kingmaker rules were the original version of the UC rules, but they were hastily written, and rather unbalanced. Smart groups could swarm over the map within two years. The UC rules made it better, but not perfect. Later a third party book came out. Ultimate rulership, which balanced it even further.

But basically all three are in essence the same.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

National Acrobat

Potentially interested depending on setup, etc.

Dilaculo

I'd like to express my interest as well! And point out that, yes, the system got a bit more coverage in Ultimate Campaign, alongside other rules for Downtime.

Autocad

QuoteI would potentially be interested.  Is Kingmaker similar to the Ultimate Campaign version?
The Ultimate Campaign version of the rules will be used. The setting / geography / plot can be based on Kingmaker or it can be homebrew, depending on popular consensus.

QuoteWould the characters start off with wresting the kingdom for themselves, or will they be starting already in charge of a kingdom? Or a little of both, "you're in charge, now go build a kingdom"?
The party starts off having just accomplished a deed of great heroism, and as a reward are granted relatively uncivilized land to build up into a vassal kingdom by an existing power.

Grizzly

Potentially interested as well.  I've never played Kingmaker nor used the Kingdom rules in UC so this would be me learning it.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

CirclMastr

Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Autocad on July 05, 2016, 05:41:53 PM
The Ultimate Campaign version of the rules will be used. The setting / geography / plot can be based on Kingmaker or it can be homebrew, depending on popular consensus.
The party starts off having just accomplished a deed of great heroism, and as a reward are granted relatively uncivilized land to build up into a vassal kingdom by an existing power.

Alright! So long as we get to do soem adventuring and it's not just a text-based RTS, I'm in

Chaeronea

Potentially interested. I don't have much experience with Pathfinder, but I've heard it's very similar to D&D 3.5 (with which I have quite a bit of experience). What levels would our characters start at? And would they get to do adventuring as well as managing the kingdom?

National Acrobat

Quote from: Autocad on July 05, 2016, 05:41:53 PM

Ok, definitely interested.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Soveliss

I'd be interested in playing a bookwormy witch (as in, the class from the Advanced Player's guide) who would be running the kingdom's financial books, if everyone's okay with that. Else, I'll find another concept.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

PhantomPistoleer

When I played Kingmaker, my group loathed the kingdom building process because it usually came down to one person calling all the shots.  However, things really picked up when everyone got their own city to develop.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Tamhansen

I think it depends. I loved the system, and our group really spread the workload, which made the city so much better.
ons and offs

Callie Del Noire

I could do this.. Kingmaker is one of the APs that keep dying on me. :D

Autocad

Woot, glad to see a healthy amount of interest in this.

So, getting into more gritty details, if you are seriously interested can you post the following for my count :

1) What role from the rules do you want to play? Choose only one please. You can change later if there is overlap between players.
2) For those who want to play the Ruler, if the spot is not available, would you settle for a nonruler role, or would you rather be Ruler of your own small fief separate from the others?

Jaded

1) Probably Magister.  A Wizard, Witch, or Sorceress as the class I am thinking.

Chulanowa

It's kind of hard to say right off the bat - I would tend to place role after the character itself. And to build a character, it helps to have an idea of the setting. Several are tempting; High Priest is always fun, since it really lets you nudge your way into the character of the kingdom. But I'm honestly feeling more of a "cunning" angle for this, I want to do some of the politicking. Which points towards Spymaster or Grand Diplomat.

It's hard to pick one; but between the two I think the Grand Diplomat role would have more... function? while we're getting things established, and builds nicely. Spymaster feels more like a "late game" role - I mean when you're just starting a kingdom, what's the spymaster keeping tabs on, five gremlisn who keep stealing socks?

So, grand diplomat for me; I'd be willing to trade if someone else wants it bad, though  ;D Also, is it possible to double up, i.e, be an influential position and a "minor" one like Consort or Royal Enforcer (the ones with no penalty if you're missing it)

Soveliss

As I said, I was thinking a bookworm witch treasurer, but I am open to changing if there are too many arcane magic users in the party.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

Tamhansen

I'd love to play diplomat or if not taken the ruler. Have a brilliant oracle that could fit either role.
ons and offs

swordwind

National Acrobat

I'd want to play a cavalier or knight type, so someone who is head of the guard, responsible for enforcing edicts, parsing out justice, serving as guard or hand for non-martial types who go forth representing the ruler on official business, etc. Court Knight or something similar.