Outlanders Series, by James Axler

Started by Sabby, May 22, 2013, 08:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I was getting bored with my current audio books and saw this on Graphic Audio, and was confused. I've never heard of a book series this fucking huge o.O it was something like 65 or 66 books. I thought maybe it was just in a weird format or something, and when I looked up some book covers it looked like some kind of Fallout knock off. I was curious, but I didn't think a book series that long could be good... right?

I'm 7 books in, and I am pretty blown away so far. It manages to fuse Fallout style post apocalypse with alien conspiracy theories, religion, Lovecraftian horrors and time travel. I was massively into the paranormal when I was a kid, and I'm finding so many myths and conspiracies mixed in with the story. I've always enjoyed the campy nods to conspiracy theories in the Fallout games, like finding alien power cells in labs, and this seems to be an entire series revolving around them.

Considering I'm only just now getting into it and the authors apparently start shuffling later, I have no idea if they take a nose dive in quality... I'm crossing my fingers they lose it at book 20 or so, but what I've heard so far is fantastic.

If you've never tried Graphic Audio, they make the best damn audio books I've ever heard, using multiple actors, music and sound effects instead of just narrating the book. They have previews on their website, if your interested.

Oniya

Thought the name looked familiar, so I checked my library database.  Turns out I have one of the Deathlands books from riiiight about the exact middle of the series.  This - explains much.  (Like why I felt like there was something missing - 20+ books worth of backstory will do that to you.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Actually, Deathlands came before Outlanders. It's referenced in the history books the characters read. They even run across some of the characters due to timey wimey stuff.

Oniya

Yeah, but the book I have is 'Keepers of the Sun.'  There are over 20 books of Deathlands alone before that one. >.<
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

I'll never understand why people don't just number their books x.x

Oniya

Seriously.  It's one thing if you've got a 'verse that's got a spiderweb of plots going on (Norton's Witch World et al.) but when it's one or two subjective timelines it would help.