Mecha Mashup Interest Check! (REBOOT)

Started by Outlaw Fallen, January 20, 2014, 01:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaw Fallen

Welcome To The Guard!

Actually, this is just an interest check at the moment... but thanks for stopping by anyways.

So my plate is pretty full at the moment, but in the next few months (unless a couple of current partners have actually disappeared, in which case this dateline will move up) I plan on starting a mech-based game. I've got details worked out that I believe will satisfy a good number of potential players. Bear in mind that these are rather loose ideas right now and subject to change based on the initial interest people show in the game. The idea of this game is to maintain a true free form and not infringe on the players' creativity. Whether you create your own mech/unit/device/frame/armor/whatever you want to call it, or use a more canon-based form is up to you. Inspiration for your mech's fuselage, body, technology and armament can come from anywhere... Escaflowne, Code Geass, Zone of the Enders, Armored Core, Gundam, White Knight Chronicles... anywhere. The devil, as always, is in the details, but don't feel as though you have to become bogged down with them. If you are a lover of detail like me, then you know that your details may save your butt in a tight situation.

Up front, I do not care what manner of species your pilot is or how powerful they are within reason. Mechs are the driving force of this game, and will be considered powerful enough to take on anything outside of another mech, with the possible exception of those mass produced models that we'll all be blowing and cutting to smithereens. I would also like to see the interesting ideas you guys come up with for these mechs histories and method of summoning, etc... I guess I should go ahead and give a basic idea of the setup while I'm at this...

The demon uprising wiped out much of humanity and began a new era in which creatures of the ethereal/paranormal/supernatural kind ruled the world and humans are a much rarer sight than they once were. The Kingdom and The Empire (more to come on these, but you will see why their names are rather generic as I explain) are the only two real powers anymore, and have been at war for ages. The Empire was established after the human world had been brought to its knees, and tyranny went hand-in-hand with genocide and enslavement. A rebellion grew within the Empire against the harsh hand of its rule, and after so many joined its ranks, a completely new order was formed based on the ideologies of freedom and equality. Thus, the Kingdom was born and stood as the only real threat to the Empire. There are four main groups one should be concerned with in this game; The Royal Guard, The Wolf Pack, The Imperial Vanguard, and The Order of the Requiem.

The Royal Guard is the Queen's elite guard, charged with staying by her side and protecting her. They are the Kingdom's only true knights, and only the best and most virtuous pilots make it to these ranks. In a sense, they are the Kingdom's secret service. At the head of the Guard are The Four Horsemen (I already have npc's set aside for their roles, but will open all but one of them for others to play if anyone shows interest). The Wolf Pack; the elite aces that have risen through the ranks of the Kingdom's army, whether by impeccable tactics and skills, or a mech that has been modified to simply put them above the rest. There is quite a bit of rivalry between the Guard and the Pack in that some among the Guard regards the pack as grunts and ruffians for their no-hold-barred tactics. Those in the Guard who see the Pack this way have forgotten where they come from, as there are almost none in the Guard who were not first Wolves. The rivalry that comes from the Pack is in those that either know they will never be able to be a part of the Guard, or who have tried and failed. I should note here that unless specified, your character is your mech's designer and mechanic (I don't discourage having a mechanic/pilot pairing of characters, but it is more for you to keep up with if you are playing both parts).

The Imperial Vanguard is the Emperor's version of the Guard, but set up like the Knights of the Round from Code Geass in that there is a ranking system and the top member of the Vanguard is the Emperor's personal champion (wow, before writing that down, I didn't realize how much of a rip from CG it was by design xD). The Vanguard is more exclusive than the Guard and therefor has less members. The Order, as you might have guessed, is the same sort of group as the Pack. There is much more dissonance between the Order and the Vanguard just by nature of the ambition and ego characteristic of soldiers of the empire, which makes it less likely that they will work together on the battlefield.

I need to put a caveat on the Guard and the Vanguard in that, until there are enough players, I will not open them for play. Also, once they are open for play, I will take a look at the character and mech you have designed, as well as your play style in order to determine if you can play the position appropriately/responsibly. I will also have a spot for a co-gm. Because of the nature of the position and requirement for longevity and responsibility, I will take a very careful look at the history of anyone applying for the position to include but not limited to; post frequency, post length, number of posts since you joined, number and frequency of absences (this is where it will be good to have an up-to-date a/a page), grammar, literacy, writing style, game history, and especially your enthusiasm for this game. I'd like to think this could be a large group one day, but can accept that this is a rather niche-specific game, though I have tried to keep it rather open to attract a larger crowd. My co-gm will also create and play the Emperor along with any other characters they make.

So, whether you fancy an armored core, orbital frame, knightmare, ancient knight's armor, or have always wanted to play the Lancelot Albion... or even wanted to take elements of all of these and make your own mech, get creating and I will announce when I actually plan to open the game and provide a link! Whether you want to be a grunt aspiring to join the Wolf Pack, or a member of the Order vying to find your place in the Vanguard, or a haggard veteran simply trying to stay alive until you can retire from the Guard and tired of the games the younger knights play is all up to you, and you will find your place in this world. Give me your thoughts and feedback, and I look forward to creating another universe with you guys.

~Fallen

UPDATE
I am pleased to announce that the OOC and Character Directory threads are opened now. Feel free to read a little further into this thread to see some of the lines I drew with questions that initially came up, which might save you having to ask. Otherwise, if you are interested or aren't entirely sure, swing by the OOC thread and get to know our community and how we play. We look forward to welcoming new members into our ranks.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

SargentToughie

I'm so heavily down for this that words can't even describe it. Mecha is awesome, and it seems like you're super enthusiastic about it. Since it's only an interest check, there's really not too much more to say about it, and you've answered just about every question I had in your opening post, so...

+1
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

Haha, I gotta say after reading through your pages, Toughie, that you are the exact sort of player that I figured would be first to jump on this sort of opportunity. Admittedly, I'm not holding my breath for a huge turnout, but I do have my hopes. I thought of a few more details that I thought I should add while the interest check was still up to answer anymore questions players might have.

First and foremost I believe is that while I emphasized attention to detail for your mech, I do not plan for, nor do I desire this game to revolve around combat. More than anything I want to see the lives of these pilots develop and grow with the game. I have some plot twists and ideas planned, but I want to see players developing independent stories, scandals, and even the dysfunctional relationships that might grow from characters of opposing forces, whether they are a love-hate thing, outright enmity, or even a forbidden fraternization.

I would also like to address the four main groups that I outlined. Now, providing that the game does grow and eventually become a large, thriving group, I will gladly open the floor to different groups, teams, squads, wings, cells, whatever you want to call your group. Secondly, and this is a question I anticipate coming up if I do not answer it, is that just because your character is not in a higher tier group does not mean they cannot hold their own or even defeat another character from a higher tier. It is a given that such a mantle is awarded through skill and conquest, but its like that saying I'm sure we have all heard at one point... no matter how good you are at something, there is always someone better than you out there. This is the reason for the review I have already talked about for those that wish to have a character in a higher tier group.

Which brings me to my next point; characters. As of right now, I don't care how many characters anyone has, so long as you are capable of creating enjoyable game play with those your characters are entangled with. I forgot to mention in my last paragraph about inter-faction groups, but for the time being I will allow the pairing of wing-mates between pilots, as I am sure there will be those that desire some standardized grouping. Also, I cannot and will not abide exclusive cliques to be developed, and that is probably the first stern rule of this game. If I see it, or it is brought to my attention, I will put an immediate stop to it and will not hesitate to contact staff about the blatant disregard for E rules if it continues. There is a difference between two or more individual characters grouping up together and players excluding others. I expect anyone playing to have taken this portion of E to heart having been accepted as a part of the community, but I also know that despite how great the system for weeding out the troublemakers is, there will be those that get through. Now, where was I... well, I don't remember, but in case anyone is wondering; while I may have a character set aside in the Guard, she and the others will be npc'ed until I have opened the Guard and Vanguard to everyone. I see this as only fair since I'm restricting everyone else. My main character is going to be a member of the Pack.
I will come reformed

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Lagrange

Brilliant. I haven't even set up my profile properly yet, but I had to stop by and say you have another player here. I've been looking for a good mecha game for a while, and this one hits all the right notes.

Major Major

I might be interested in joining this; any word on when and where this is set?

Outlaw Fallen

As far as time goes, definitely postmodern. The way I see it, the fall of mankind was something of a crash in technology advancements. However, the rise of the new world was one where the supernatural was predominant, so when the advancement of technology continued, the use of energies and substances that was previously unknown to the world created the same sort of boom that the development of the atomic bomb and nuclear fusion did. I also imagine that the conflict between the two powers has gone on long enough that the war torn areas are the only ones with any real devastation. The rest of the world has long since recovered, and buildings are of a futuristic design, and super structures stand tall. In their respective lands, the populace thrives with the exception of the occasional successful invasion. Basically, the two powers have divided the whole of the world into two with the empire having lost some ground to the kingdom... enough that the territory is not far from evenly divided, yet the empire still holds more.

This is where the gray area begins that I am not set in and would like to see what the players think. As far as the where goes, I'm not committed to an earth-based setting, but I do believe it could be as successful as anything else. And it does make me think about what difference it would really make in the long run. Given the scale of the two powers, I believe the actual places would be vague with the exception of setting details and perhaps identifiable locations if it were an earth setting (ie, the kingdom's capital being set in what was once britain... or something to that effect). Anyways, I want to see what others think on this issue, and maybe I see it as less of an issue than others might.

Back to the technology issue. I wanted to say that because of the ongoing war, I think the line would be drawn at orbital travel with the plateau being developing a navy for the sky. I believe each power might have low orbit aircraft and even some defense satellites, but without sufficient advancements, neither can make these assets crippling because there are countermeasures against them. Probably getting a little too intense with detail here, but I'm trying to give you an idea. If they weren't so focused on fighting each other, moving into space would not be an issue. Make sense?

I hope I satisfactorily answered at least one of your questions, Major.
I will come reformed

Silk

I'm all the way in on this as well, bookmarked so I don't forget xD

Batman4560

Not gonna lie. I like Mecha games. Ill be at the very least watching this but I am interested.

Wheresmycow

I'm going to admit to a certain fascination at the idea of a mercenary who's mech combat capabilities is directly involved on what songs he sings while he pilots it and how passionately and loudly he does so.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Wheresmycow on January 24, 2014, 01:25:36 PM
I'm going to admit to a certain fascination at the idea of a mercenary who's mech combat capabilities is directly involved on what songs he sings while he pilots it and how passionately and loudly he does so.

No... fscking... way... don't even joke about something like that... unless you are capable of delivering, don't you dare titillate us with something so potentially entertaining...

Also, if you screw it up, I will kill you... >.> no running jokes *eyes narrow*
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 24, 2014, 03:27:40 PM
No... fscking... way... don't even joke about something like that... unless you are capable of delivering, don't you dare titillate us with something so potentially entertaining...

Also, if you screw it up, I will kill you... >.> no running jokes *eyes narrow*
This is what inspired the idea.  Though I'm not entirely certain I could deliver.  Not without collecting a solid music library first.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

I'll have to check it out later. My phone doesn't want to play the video. I do believe that it is one of those things that could be awesome if properly executed or just completely awful. It would definitely take a certain skill level to pull it off.
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

Yea, a lot of skill.  More than likely, the character wouldn't be singing all the time.  There'd be a base level of ability, and the mech would grow stronger as the pilot's fighting spirit grows.  After a certain point, the pilot starts singing, and the mech seems to resonate with it.  That'd be more manageable.

But this is all just musings.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Silk

Deciding which sort of group I would be interested in going with, they're all so appealing xD

Silk

Ok I got a concept, I'll throw it your way later. once it's fleshed

Iblis121

Oh man. Just when I started rewatching Mobile Suit Gundam...I'm so in this.

rustytiger

So game for this, though I have never tried mech before.
I'm slowly coming back after years long hiatus. Still going through all the new rules and updates so I'm sorry if I mess up.

Ons & Offs
Absences
Idea Thread

Batman4560

Ill be going with something from the realm of Gun X Sword.

Dorian Grandale

Heyas, Outlaw Fallen.

Ye olde BattleTech/MechWarrior fan right here. Your info is like one of my dreams made explanation. I cannot do much at the moment, but I'll be watching the living stuffing out of this. If i get more writing time, I'm all in for this.
"There ain't no sunshine when I'm low, how I'm low.
People tell me life's a game, I'm not playing.
Bitches don't mean shit to me, anymore.
I have taken my blows, I'm still standing.."

Iblis121

Quote from: rustytiger on January 25, 2014, 09:54:30 PM
So game for this, though I have never tried mech before.

I've never tried a mech roleplay, either. I just love em'. A lot.

Quote from: Dorian Grandale on January 25, 2014, 10:33:31 PM
Heyas, Outlaw Fallen.

Ye olde BattleTech/MechWarrior fan right here. Your info is like one of my dreams made explanation. I cannot do much at the moment, but I'll be watching the living stuffing out of this. If i get more writing time, I'm all in for this.

MechWarrior, huh? Wow. That's some vintage mech right there lol I respect it, though. Until that F2P reboot came out, you barely heard about those Battle Mechs anywhere.

Outlaw Fallen

I hope you guys don't go conservative on your mech designs because I'm building a frame from hell. I have to say, I am so excited to see the growing interest in this game. The idea sorta popped in my head after the last time I watched Code Geass, and grew as an alternate reality for my characters as most plots do. It will be interesting to see how your characters affect Fallen and make him deviate from what I've imagined would happen in this scenario. You guys will see at least three of my key characters in different parts, though their roles and relation to Fallen will be entirely different from actuality. So stoked...

I guess I should clarify that there is not a whole lot off-limits in the way of abilities and armament. I don't expect your design to have an achilles' heel, but where munitions can be exhausted, and I expect more powerful energy-based weapons and abilities to exact heavy tolls on fuel/energy reserves. I will also say that I will allow shifting/teleporting, but again... not something a mech can do all day unless that is its specific design, in which case something else must be sacrificed. Flight will probably be the only ability that I dont put a cap on as far as time limit, etc. The question came up, and I don't mind if your mech has automated computer sequencing or a self-aware computer. Like I said, get creative. If you guys want an idea about my mech, well... the best way I can describe it will be elements from multiple influences. A well-rounded machine relying on no one form of combat and made more for speed and maneuverability than tanking... made to be devastating up clos because it will rely mostly on energy shielding, but primarily multi-role in design. I don't want to give away too much, though. It wouldn't be a surprise, then.

And mech warrior... wow, there's a blast from the past. Looking at games like armored core today, I can't believe mech warrior was ever a thing. But hey, that's technology for you. I do hope you are able to join us at some point, Dorian Grandale.
I will come reformed

Silk

I'm just thinking of it as a sort of "Point allocation" stat line like in DnD. So the more points you invest in a single area, the less overall points there are to go around in the remaining stats, or have a particular other stat that is decidedly weak to compensate.

kckolbe

Quote from: Silk on January 26, 2014, 05:34:43 AM
I'm just thinking of it as a sort of "Point allocation" stat line like in DnD. So the more points you invest in a single area, the less overall points there are to go around in the remaining stats, or have a particular other stat that is decidedly weak to compensate.

I would like to see something along these lines.    Still just lurking though.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Outlaw Fallen

I hate to do this, because I'm sure I will lose a few people here... but I have to say that I will in no way endorse points, dice, or anything along those lines. I said in the beginning that this was to be a true free form, and I meant that in every sense. I expect and will demand fair and responsible play from all parties, but I am not going to limit anyone by placing them within the confines of a points system. If that is something you want out of this game, then I am sorry, and will hate to see you go. Rule of thumb here is if you can't take a debilitating hit, then do not expect to land one.

As I said from the start, I do not desire the game to revolve around combat, but it is the nature of the beast so there will more than likely be a lot of it. I plan on at least one of my characters dying, and another losing a mech, and that's just for plot purposes. Who knows what else I will come up with when I start collaborating with those that do stick around. Winning here is not about any sort of prestige or saying that you/your character/your mech are better than anyone else, so if that is your idea of a fun game, you know where the door is... this game is about creating an action-packed story filled with all sorts of juicy IC drama, not a stage for posturing and egos. It is nothing for the most illiterate, unimaginative writer to create a perfect character and just wipe everything into oblivion with the sweep of a hand. I'm sure all of us have seen these characters in one or more forms over the years. The challenge is creating something real... something that all of us can get sucked into. But, hey... that's just my opinion. As GM, it is the opinion that drives the spirit of this game, so I ask; will you rise to this challenge?

This is in no way directed at just you, Silk and kckolbe, but to anyone who might have had the wrong idea about this game. I hope that no one did, but stranger things have happened. I would hate to see this thing die before it even gets started, however, I respect all of your decisions no matter which way the chips fall.
I will come reformed

kckolbe

No worries.  I may have misinterpreted what you meant by being saved by details.  I will bow out.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Silk

I didn't mean that were actively using a point allocation, I just mean that I'm keeping a point allocation style system in mind in regards to the abilities of the mech. So the stronger it is at something, it would not be as strong elsewhere, so it isn't a "My mech is great at everything with no real downsides because it's designed that way" while also not causing the achiles heel effect, since let's take a DnD method just for example.

You can spent all your points in str if you want too, as long as your aware that it'll give less points for your other stats, or you could have one stat suffer dramatically for the strength. Nothing enforced or alike, it's just how I'm personally keeping in mind while designing my mechs.

Iblis121

Read ya loud and clear, Outlaw Fallen. Personally, I haven't been thinking in terms of points are stats. Just going by the rule of cool here. Thinking about what I like in a Giant Robot without making it too ridiculous, and then thinking of ways to make it work. And I've got a lot of work to do in that department, as all I really know for sure is that I want a Bipedal unit that's piloted with full body motion detection, something similar to the Mobile Trace System in Mobile Fighter G Gundam. And that the thing will have a cloak or scarf of some kind. Why? On principle alone.

I'm curious to see if anybody decides to go the MechWarrior/Armored Core route, though. They always struck me as more realistic mecha, and it'd be interesting to see what someone does to make something like that viable with all the other types of mechs around.

...Though I'm sure something like Nine Ball Seraph would hold it's own just fine...

Robelwell202

Oh, dear...

I'm seriously considering an AXR-7 Arbalest for this one... 
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Wheresmycow

Not even thinking about the mech, if I wanted to go for maximum drama, I'm thinking of a mercenary who used to be in both the Imperial Vanguard and the Royal Guard.  Starting as just a soldier in the Empire, he rose through the ranks and became inducted into the Imperial Vanguard.  As his first assignment, since he hadn't become known to the Kingdom yet, they had him go into deep cover and infiltrate the military of the Kingdom.  Rising through the ranks again, he became one of the Royal Guard, and served as a knight.  His assignment was to see if he could assassinate the Queen, or at least feed critical military information to the Empire that would allow them to crush the Kingdom.  However, time spent in service of the Royal Guard compromised him, and he was unsure of what he should do.  Of course at this point, the Empire found out he was wavering, and so when he tried to meet his factor one night, they tried to kill him.  He survived, but not without the Royal Guard finding out who he was.  So a traitor to both sides, he had to run.

Officially, he doesn't exist in any military's history, because he's a deep shame for both sides.  But both elite units remember him and assassins from the Empire regularly try to hunt him down and kill him.  Meanwhile, he takes odd jobs, and even the Kingdom has been known to hire him, to the incredible distaste of any of the Royal Guard who know his past.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

PaladinZenaku

I am interested in playing something on the lines of Front Missions wanzer designs or my favorite mech from the AC series.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Iblis121 on January 26, 2014, 08:28:33 AM
And that the thing will have a cloak or scarf of some kind. Why? On principle alone.
...awesome... I personally planned on using a cape or something on one of my mechs.

I would also be curious to see what manner of modified AC would be able to stand up to some of these other frames we're talking about. While I imagined that AC's/mechwarrior types would be the more groundpound standard infantry types, I image a frame of that design could have heavier armor and a loadout with a bigger punch to it. Speaking of other types of frames, though, you guys are throwing out some names that I've never even heard before. My frame will fall somewhere between Code Geass and Zone of the Enders by design. I will shamelessly rip a few things such as the radiant wave surger because, well... it's badass.

I think the best way to describe it is that despite a very versatile loadout, use of any one thing limits anything else. While I would say it is a multi-role frame, I would also say that 1v1 combat is its best function, perhaps even 1v2 in a dual-wielding situation. It would also depend on the pilots he would be fighting. And those fights are basically give and take. But against multiple units hammering his shields, well... he'd lose power to his shields to do anything super effective. Anywho, I'm rambling. I do get what you're saying now, Silk. Kckolbe, if you watch the game and decide you want to become a part of it, you will always be welcome.
I will come reformed

Iblis121

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 26, 2014, 06:53:18 PMMy frame will fall somewhere between Code Geass and Zone of the Enders by design.

I positively adore Zone of the Enders. I assume most people love Anubis, I'm also a fan of Vic Viper myself. As for Code Geass, I have to admit I haven't seen it yet. Chances are I'll be watching it very soon now, though...

Outlaw Fallen

The first and last pics on the front page of the red and white mechs... Guren and Lancelot. You will know them very well by the end of the series. Guren has the radiant wave surger (you will probably get a boner when you see it in action). I think I will rip their float system for my mech's flight... the energy wings just look cool. But I might change my mind, I think my frame has changed like ten times already.

And, yeah, Anubis was cool, but Jehuty was just as cool. Especially once it got the ability to zero shift. Jehuty's combat abilities looked cooler, though Anubis' frame design was pretty awesome. The sound effect for Anubis' zero shift was also cooler. That, and Jehuty looked like a not-girly version of Dolores... if that was her name, it's been forever since I saw that series. I mean, still a unique frame design from others, but the two definitely resembled each other in an uncanny manner. But I digress.
I will come reformed

Delta 8O8

I am absolutely DOWN for this.

As far as details go: I've played every single Armored Core game to date. Mech Warrior when I was younger (and had a decent PC). Of course I've seen all the Mecha type anime and the one Cartoon (Battle Tech).
And, since no one seems to be bringing it up, Chrome Hounds. Even with the Servers down I still have-, and still play it.

Quote from: Wheresmycow on January 24, 2014, 01:25:36 PM

I saw the video you posted that inspired your idea, but the first thing that popped into my head after reading this was the movie Hudson Hawk.
If you haven't seen it before, it's about a guy who doesn't use any kind of time device while he goes about Robbing certain places. Instead, he sings certain Show Tunes to keep his time.

"O'er Azure Skies and Emerald Plains
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
Stay Low, Go Fast
Where Freedom and Justice Prevail!
Be brave and upright, that God may love thee.
Kill First, Die Last
With Courage and Strength
Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death.
One Shot, One Kill
We will fight to the end
Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong."
No Luck, All Skill
For Liberty in our Land!"
This is my Oath

Outlaw Fallen

The question has come up, and I wanted you guys' opinion before making a decision, because it is a dimension of the game that will affect all of us. How would you guys feel about allowing players who do not wish to play pilots, but just support roles instead. They would be required to remain organic to this game, however, as mechanics or developers or something along those lines that would be relevant to our pilots. I don't see a whole lot of people chomping at the bits to play these roles, but... whatevs. What do you guys think?
I will come reformed

Silk

I was thinking of having a secondary character to be my mechanic to be honest so I'm all for it. :)

SargentToughie

I don't see any reason why not. What does it hurt?
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Iblis121

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 27, 2014, 12:07:27 PM
I don't see any reason why not. What does it hurt?

Yeah, I'm for it as well. I don't see how it could negatively impact the game or players.

PaladinZenaku

Alright I have a collection of mechs I am torn between choosing.
Mech choices

~Shadowfang~

SargentToughie

Black Sazabi? That one has my vote.

Question for the GM, how are we handling one of the most important steeples of ANY self-respecting mech story? You know, the all important mid-season upgrade? I've already got two mechs planned out that I'd like to use, but I want to know ahead of time if we're allowed to start out in a smaller and inferior frame, and step up to something better later down the line. This actually dictates a LOT in terms of character progression, story pacing, and how much fun I can have with various scenes and interactions... At least for me personally.
Ons and offs

Batman4560

I think that is a great question.

Dorian Grandale

Hello once again, Outlaw, and all others expressing interest.

Yes, BT/MW is certainly a dated source, but it is one I love. Specially the Clans. But that's unimportant.
Quote from: Outlaw FallenWhile I imagined that AC's/mechwarrior types would be the more groundpound standard infantry types, I image a frame of that design could have heavier armor and a loadout with a bigger punch to it.

Indeed, my primary idea is based on this. A small starting-up mercenary or militia group, using heavily modified infantry frames, centered on melee and (very)short range combat. For those who might know, or care to find out, my primary selection for a frame, is this:
Mech Frame

Also, the mention of secondary characters does spark some ideas in mind, but those need to cook a little more before I place them down.  :-) But as mentioned before, I'm watching you all..  ;)

Oreida Wesker

I, personally, would love playing as an Engineer/Mechanic, it's a role for which Oreida was originally created for. I also dig the battlefield Medic angle, so If I got to play, least i'll be getting to know a majority of the pilots. I just can't see her piloting without being concerned for the well-being of the mobile suit. :P
Hots and Nots

All my devotion betrayed, I'm no longer afriad.

Outlaw Fallen

I believe the issue of allowing players who just want to fill support roles has been resolved with approval. So if any of your friends have expressed interest but weren't sure about playing a pilot, let them know it's open to support roles germane to the setting now! I look forward to seeing some of the characters that people come up with.

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 28, 2014, 06:46:37 PM
Question for the GM, how are we handling one of the most important steeples of ANY self-respecting mech story? You know, the all important mid-season upgrade? I've already got two mechs planned out that I'd like to use, but I want to know ahead of time if we're allowed to start out in a smaller and inferior frame, and step up to something better later down the line. This actually dictates a LOT in terms of character progression, story pacing, and how much fun I can have with various scenes and interactions... At least for me personally.

Fantastical question, Toughie. I fully expect that once we've all laid our mechs out, there will be some that see a detail or weapon and are like 'I've totes gotta have that!' Upgrades are always welcome. I've already got a few in mind for mine. Smaller upgrades I expect here and there. Unless your pilot is simply loaded, I would say the bigger upgrades need to be spaced out. I'm probably stating the obvious, but yeah, upgrades are fine.

I've seen more than one mention of merc groups, and I need to remind everyone that your pilot will be a member of either one faction or the other. Until the game grows quite a bit more, I won't be allowing any segregate groups deviating from this design. Your characters will either be a part of the kingdom's military or the empire's for the time being. There is no third option here. When we've got enough players and enough characters (and probably when we have our own big group sub-forum), there will be an event that scatters the militaries and allows groups to be formed. Bear in mind, as well, that this event will come when it is natural to the game. By this, I mean that whenever we do reach a sizable amount of people and get our own sub-forum, do not bombard me with requests to create a new group. I encourage you to come up with details about your group and what they are about and write them down so that when we do come to that point, you can pitch them to me or my co-gm for approval. I am only implementing an approval on these groups because if I didn't, we would have 30 different smaller groups with no real purpose and no participation.

I have approved one player's pitch for a race that stayed separate of the two powers for as long as possible, but what it boiled down to was this; complete and total submission of control to the empire as slaves (because control is the empire's MO), or voluntary service under the kingdom (as the kingdom only cares to control military assets so that they may command the war effort on their own terms and not have rogue groups attacking and inviting invasion at weaker points). If I need to elaborate further, then let me know. I'm sorry if this disappoints some, but I thought I had made this pretty clear from the beginning.
I will come reformed

Silk

Well the mercenary situation is easy enough to solve, You are merc's but you are under a long term contract with either kingdom or empire until the divide happens. Besides, it's only one or the other that will likely be able to afford your services.

Outlaw Fallen

If that is a route you would want to go, I suppose it would be fine. I would bring to light several points, though, to make sure you fully understand your merc's position before you stick him/her in there. Firstly, both powers are pouring funds into this continuing war machine and have large armies and great pilots; while hiring extra guns/swords is not outside of the realm of reality for either faction, they will not be paying outrageous sums of money to mercs when their money is tied up elsewhere and they have to fund their own pilots. Second, as a mercenary, your character would not hold a position in the military, yet would be bound to the rule of the military so long as they served. Essentially, they would be treated as a grunt and expected to fall in line like one because they could be punished just like anyone else for disobedience. Neither faction is going to pay for a rogue. Lastly, but probably least significant unless your character just doesn't form any personal relationships with other pilots, there would be many who hold no regard for such a rogue and therefor would not come to his/her aid.

If you understand this and still want a mercenary, then by all means, you are welcome to have a mercenary character. Once the game opens up to more groups, there will be much more incentive for mercenary pilots since both factions will begin hiring mercs after losing so many soldiers and resources. This is the realistic position I see mercs in at this point in the game, though.
I will come reformed

Silk

It's the investment idea tbh. On that note, how would traitors and turncoats go, since that's something mercs will likely do at some point, but it's also something to keep in mind for for the regulars as well.

Outlaw Fallen

I look at this in a real world light in that it will really depend on the circumstances surrounding a character's departure and the manner of their separation. Treason from a mercenary wouldn't be allowed by either faction, though, anymore than they would allow it from their own soldiers. I don't think a mercenary would be wise to jump ship, though. How would you feel if someone who had weeks before wiped out a number of your friends and comrades was now being paid to fight on your side? Today's enemy being tomorrow's friend who could be the enemy again the day after is just ridiculous and inviting trouble. This is a part of the reason I did not want to open this particular can of worms at this point.
I will come reformed

PaladinZenaku

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 28, 2014, 06:46:37 PM
Black Sazabi? That one has my vote.

Yeah I have been leaning towards it but with a upgrade planned for it.
~Shadowfang~

Outlaw Fallen

[*img height=200][*/img]Name:
Alias/Call-sign:
Faction Loyalty:
Race:
Hair/Eyes:

General Description:

[*img height=200][*/img]
Frame Name:

Frame Type:

Frame Description:

Auxiliary Devices/Load-outs:

Supplemental Notes:

Upgrades:

So this is a general idea of what I'm thinking for our character sheets. You may note that I left out the ever-present section for history. If you would like to add it, I am fine with that, but I am not requiring it. I like for players to have the option to reveal their character history through game play if they desire. I don't mind you adding a weapons slot or anything like that if you feel it necessary. I figured most anything could go in general description slots, but some of you may want those to have a specific bullet of their own. The Auxiliary Devices/Load-outs slot is for... what I would define as expendable or interchangeable parts, for those of you that have/want them. And, of course, the Upgrades bullet for use as your frame gets upgraded. Let me know if I missed anything or if you guys feel the need for something more.
I will come reformed

Mac84

Wow! this looks pretty cool. I may have to dust off my Gouf Custom or Gundam Ground Type. XD

Is it still going?

Outlaw Fallen

Hasn't even started yet, Mac. This interest check only started a couple of weeks ago. I'll probably start working up the OOC and character threads here soon.
I will come reformed

WhiteWave

This is a great concept and I am definitely interested! I just started rewatching The 08th MS Team so this is something I have been craving.

Mac84

08th MS team was an Awesome Series! Weren't the Ground Type Gundams amazing!? Norris really kicked ass in his Gouf Custom. XD

Silk

I'm gonna make people groan by taking my mech(s) from the Zoid Series xD

Batman4560

Outlaw Fallen

One word... VOLTRON! *turns on the theme music that probably everyone here knows by heart*
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

Just tossing out the mechs I'd be interested in, I'd probably take from the Super Robot Wars: Orginal Generation universe and pick either Vysaga or Soulgain, with maybe using the Huckebein L or R power source: the black hole engine.

And the whole merc idea was just something to start the game off with max drama.  Maybe instead he start the game as part of the Royal Guard, but secretly part of the Imperial Vanguard, waiting to betray the Kingdom at the right time.  However, he finds his loyalty to the Empire eroding away day by day.  Great for mid season reveal.

EDIT: Okay, I lie.  Alt Eisen Riese makes me incredibly hard and always will.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Batman4560

Are we supposed to PM you with your character sheets?

Outlaw Fallen

Yes, whenever they are ready for approval. And I think that's a great plot, Wheresmycow, but I think someone already mentioned somethi g like that. As long as no one already called dibs on the double agent thing, you can have it.
I will come reformed

Oreida Wesker

Well,  I would like it to be known that my character would be building up to something similar to the Tachikoma spider drones from Ghost in a Shell. They're be smaller creatures used for mechanics, diagnostics, wielding, and lifting, but it's controlled by a circlet over the engineer's head, lacking AI and ability to do anything on it's own without programming so a knowledgeable mind is still needed for set tasks.. As our story will go on, they can eventually be used for mecha suit hauling or delivering mechanic/medical aid. She would eventually be getting them up to an AI status for a Mobile Outpost with virtual Interface for ordering emergency pick up or equipment. The difficult thing about that last part is once you ping for it's help, it also may give away location until lock on by dispatch is affirmed.

That is the long term goal of my character, her life is her work and only Engineers and mechanics would be able to use the technology adequately. I should have this one written up soon, figure got all the time in the world. Dibs... I'll share them, just not now. They're brain babies right now, just blue print and moderate constructed, dog sized, singular programmed, droid.

.. Dib dib... OOC knowledge for now.

Hots and Nots

Dorian Grandale

Wow, Oreida. Nice thinking there. Wanna work something out together?  ;)

Reflecting on what has been said, I could shift my idea for my small group to be actual sanctioned militia, that have distinguished themselves in some way, now in training to become part of the Knights proper. I choose the Knights since they seem less concerned with total troop control.

Oreida Wesker

Ha, give ya a work out, indeed. :P I love a support role, so I have time to dedicate a different character. This particular engineer has personal investment on a Merc Corp. Ties are still open and I still have other ideas of what else I would like to do. I'm not a bubble person, so good chance everyone will know the support characters one way or another through socializing.  -hopes there's a club or bar. -_-
Hots and Nots

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 29, 2014, 06:07:36 PM
Yes, whenever they are ready for approval. And I think that's a great plot, Wheresmycow, but I think someone already mentioned somethi g like that. As long as no one already called dibs on the double agent thing, you can have it.
I scanned the thread and the only one who seemed to claim it was already me.  So I think I'm in the clear so long as someone didn't PM you about it.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

Nah, I never got a pm about it that I recall, so it's yours. Because I'm not quite sure of when I will open the guard, you may want to write your character in as being in the wolf pack until I open it, at which point his application to be in the guard could be approved.

And there will be, Wesker, no worries. I'm doing my best to cover all bases.

Anyone got any badass names they would like to see this game slapped with? Im drawing predominantly blanks other than a few alright ones.
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

What kind of bad ass are we talking here?  Shonen mecha?  General mecha?  What are we looking for?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Outlaw Fallen

Doesn't matter, hit me with what you got... what strikes you as appropriate with what you know of the game.
I will come reformed

Batman4560

I just finished my sheet. Let me know if it needs any work please.

WhiteWave

Quote from: Mac84 on January 29, 2014, 03:31:07 PM
08th MS team was an Awesome Series! Weren't the Ground Type Gundams amazing!? Norris really kicked ass in his Gouf Custom. XD

Oh my gosh yes they were! I loved his Gouf, I actually have a little model of it on my dresser xD So nice to know there's someone out there who loves that series too, everyone I talk to either doesn't know it or shrugs it off.

I SUPER loved Mobile Suit Gundam 00 though too, I'm thinking of taking my character's mecha from one of theirs. So many great designs!

SargentToughie

For anybody interested, I just got both of my characters approved, and I'm planning on using the following 3 mechs for them:

-Duel Gundam (Assault Shroud upgrade)
-Freedom Gundam (later down the line)
-Weltall-Id

I'm not expecting this to step on any toes, but it's best to get it out in the open just in case, you know?
Ons and offs

Batman4560

Mine will be a transforming suit. From the Shadow Fox Zoid, as small space craft and the Heavy Arms Gundam (Endless Waltz.) For the record 08Th M.S. was the first anime to make me cry at the end. I was like 12. Good times.

WhiteWave

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 29, 2014, 10:28:12 PM
Mine will be a transforming suit. From the Shadow Fox Zoid, as small space craft and the Heavy Arms Gundam (Endless Waltz.) For the record 08Th M.S. was the first anime to make me cry at the end. I was like 12. Good times.

RIGHT!? It seriously was heartbreaking! <3 Okay it's official you guys are a great group and I am working on my character now ^_^

Wheresmycow

So possible names:
- Howling Steel
- Iron Hearts
- Broken Metal Souls
- Raging Metal Titan (because engrish)

Not the greatest, but might as well toss some names in the pot to start it off.

And since the Royal Guard isn't open yet, I guess my character can start off in the Wolf Squad.  Maybe a basic infantry mech, but lightly upgraded.  Then when it comes to mid season upgrade, he'll go over to the Alt Eisen Riese.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Delta 8O8

Quote from: Wheresmycow on January 29, 2014, 11:21:07 PM
So possible names:
- Howling Steel
- Iron Hearts
- Broken Metal Souls
- Raging Metal Titan (because engrish)

I like Howling Steel...

I've got a question.

How're we to communicate with one other while using said Mechs?
Yes, Radio's. But are we going with analog frequencies? Digital?
Short to Long? Or just short?
And will there be disruptions in the atmosphere? Will there be communications arrays strewn about? Or will we be needing a mobile Communications/Radar unit to be with each Squad of Mechs every time they go out?
Stay Low, Go Fast
Kill First, Die Last
One Shot, One Kill
We will fight to the end
No Luck, All Skill
This is my Oath

Silk

Oh just for reference I'm coining the bulk of the feline zoids :P

Batman4560

Silk are you playing a mechanic because it would be awesome if your character created those types of mechs. Being the Zoids.

Silk

One of my characters will be yeah. Since I'll be running both pilot and a mechanic. Although she won't be the original creator of the animal based mechs, since that's a cultural thing I'm making up, she can quite happily be the one who deviated and made more variations than just the felines.

Oreida Wesker

This is a war that's been around for ages and the ranges on these highly complex instruments of
'protection and defense' provide a question of how scarce or abundant these Mobile suits or their parts are. I figure what faction you're with would determine some quality or availability to upgrades, but thinking about that isn't very fun.

@Rebel: That's a interesting query, mew. I would honestly think, in a realistic light, taking into consideration the war and technology, there possibly could be a widen spans of devices just like there is today. A civilian channel made by range to one another or location to telecommunication towers, Mercenary channel or frequency that are encrypted, and military using satellite telecoms making it harder for jamming signals, if someone plans on using a scrambler or EMP. Communication systems seem to be up to the player along with all of their other devices. Our Host GM seems to be very generous with that factor. I do think a virtual interface would be too distracting and it could be something more to the pilot's preference of being an ear piece,  speakers, implant, or what have you.
Hots and Nots

SargentToughie

You also have to keep in mind, Oreida, that this is HARDLY faithful to any kind of age or technological setting. At it's most basic premise, this RP is going to be about huge robots being awesome and smacking the shit out of each other, and it's going to be far more focused on interpersonal character drama then it is the actual warfare. Yes there will be combat, lots of it, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a secondary focus in terms of what we do and how things are planned out, if that makes any sense. If it doesn't make any sense, sorry, I'm pretty terrible at explaining things.

What I'm trying to get at is saying that sweating small stuff like how our frames communicate isn't going to impact the RP all that much. At least, that's how I see things. As for upgrades and how often they're available or how good they are, I don't think that's going to be a huge concern either. I mean, Outlaw has made it abundantly clear that we're basically allowed to do whatever we want with our giant robots of choice, so as long as it doesn't interfere with the balance of the RP, I don't see a reason to put a leash on how many times a frame can be repaired or given a new weapon... Within reason of course. If somebody is out there going "I GOT THIS NEW AWESOME THING" after every single battle, we are going to have problems.

That's just my viewpoint anyway. To try and summarize it in a non-long winded and probably really confusing post, relax and just try to have fun. This RP is more about the characters then it is the mechs.
Ons and offs

Silk

Well it's already been said that unless it's another player, were basically superior to the vast majority of mechs out there.

Outlaw Fallen

GM Announcement!

We have our first two threads! If I've approved your character, feel free to post it in the character directory. Also, please continue further chat in our new OOC thread. We are on our way, ladies and gentlemen!
I will come reformed

WhiteWave

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 30, 2014, 10:52:19 AM

Hey I was thinking of making my character a mysterious character, like out of no where this mech comes one day, kicks some butt, and then disappears again. No one know who it is or where they came from, the type of mech is not like anything they had seen before, there are small characteristics that remind some people of an older rebel mech from about 20 years ago or so but everyone knows that pilot is long gone. Both sides have no idea who is and it doesn't seem the mech's pilot is taking any sides when in combat. The mech keeps making appearances whenever innocent civilians are going to get hurt, enslavement, genocide, or things of that nature. Would that be something I could possibly do? Or is that not an approved concept?

Silk

Whitewave@ Problem is that sounds more like a NPC concept than anything, unless your a secret double lifer from a supporting role that's with a faction. Otherwise your'll be spending the vast majority of the game waiting for the next fight.

WhiteWave

Quote from: Silk on January 30, 2014, 12:33:05 PM
Whitewave@ Problem is that sounds more like a NPC concept than anything, unless your a secret double lifer from a supporting role that's with a faction. Otherwise your'll be spending the vast majority of the game waiting for the next fight.

Oh no I was going to make the character leading a double life, otherwise I would have the exact problem your saying. Eventually they would give up they're cover life to work fully as a mech pilot, eventually agreeing to work with someone or a group.

Silk

As long as your cover life has a "nation" that they are affiliated to I don't really see the problem with it. But it's down to Outlaw in the end

Outlaw Fallen

I will have to consider it, WhiteWave.
Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 30, 2014, 10:52:19 AM
GM Announcement!

We have our first two threads! If I've approved your character, feel free to post it in the character directory. Also, please continue further chat in our new OOC thread. We are on our way, ladies and gentlemen!

I don't know if that showed up since your quote of me was blank, but there it is again.
I will come reformed

SargentToughie

It showed up. I'd have posted mine, but I'm at work on my phone right now. Will post profiles when I get home.
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

I just wanted to be sure. We've been having game-relevant chat for some time now, but this is an interest check thread. I'm sure we've done nothing wrong yet, but I figured moving to an OOC thread before we descend into more general chat would be best. See you guys there!
I will come reformed

Oreida Wesker

@Toughie: Ha! Bro, ya kinda reiterated what I said and then told me that I didn't say that all in one post. I'll try not to include that fact that it almost sounded like you were telling me to relax.

I say almost cause it's difficult to tell if people phrase words exactly as they mean it... Anywho, Moo. -runs off flailing to make this stuff-

Edit: Will be posting on OOC from now on.
Hots and Nots

Robelwell202

I'm still considering the idea of using the AXR-7 Arbalest, from 'Full Metal Panic', but I'm wondering if the lambda driver would present a problem, especially if the character I plan on using would have no issue activating and using it.

Anyone have anything to say on that?

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Delta 8O8

I think the Lambda Driver would be OP.

The Arbalest and M8s are fine though.
Even the Savages.

Hey, hey...so does that mean all the little fodder we'll be plowing through are going to be those from all the animes, games, & cartoons we're bringing up?
Stay Low, Go Fast
Kill First, Die Last
One Shot, One Kill
We will fight to the end
No Luck, All Skill
This is my Oath

PaladinZenaku

Quote from: Robelwell202 on January 30, 2014, 10:48:54 PM
I'm still considering the idea of using the AXR-7 Arbalest, from 'Full Metal Panic', but I'm wondering if the lambda driver would present a problem, especially if the character I plan on using would have no issue activating and using it.

Anyone have anything to say on that?
Well this game has some elements from Rifts in it and the golden rule in RIFTS is "When you have a big gun, remember the GM can bring in someone with a bigger one." I learned that the hard way.
Quote from: RebelJap8O8 on January 31, 2014, 12:12:54 AM
I think the Lambda Driver would be OP.

The Arbalest and M8s are fine though.
Even the Savages.

Hey, hey...so does that mean all the little fodder we'll be plowing through are going to be those from all the animes, games, & cartoons we're bringing up?
I like the M6s and that soviet mech ith the gatling gun. Oh I think outlaw might bring in stuff we havent even thought about yet.
~Shadowfang~

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: RebelJap8O8 on January 31, 2014, 12:12:54 AM
Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
Oh I think outlaw might bring in stuff we havent even thought about yet.
I think, yeah, there could be any number of fodder-frames from all of the mentioned influences so far. Though, I don't believe I am as well versed in this stuff as some of you guys are, so I'm interested to see what you guys also bring to the table. Every pilot will have customized their own mech one way or another.
Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
Well this game has some elements from Rifts in it and the golden rule in RIFTS is "When you have a big gun, remember the GM can bring in someone with a bigger one." I learned that the hard way.I like the M6s and that soviet mech ith the gatling gun.
On this note, all I can say is this; I don't know what RIFTS is, but I am a firm believer in the golden rule that just because a GM can do something doesn't mean they should. I have no idea what the Lambda Driver is, and my googling is limited at work, so unless one of you guys explains it, I can't give it a go or no-go. If it is something that has a weakness that can be exploited, and is finite in its capabilities, then it is something that I can say absolutely to. By rights, the Radiant Wave Surger is a one-shot any given day of the weak, but I dialed it back for the sake of the game... granted, it will still be a one-shot to the aforementioned fodder-types. I believe I have seen others do the same with some of their frames' abilities.

So far as I have seen, everyone that has submitted profiles so far has done an outstanding job of rounding out their frame's combat abilities and including a basic hitch to each one's functionality... the proverbial Achilles' heel, as it were. Some are what I believe to be even more capable in some areas because they gave up something else. This game will be, as I said, a game of give and take. I would like to see some competition between the players on the frames they've built because everyone is putting time and effort and their own personal touch into something they dream about, but that will require everyone to accept that they will win some and they will lose some. Here, the term Ace doesn't mean that you are unbeatable or undefeated by any stretch. It means that your ass is still drawing breath and has yet to get caught in a catastrophically failing frame... or perhaps you were, but were able to survive somehow... or someone's blade hasn't found its way through your cockpit yet.
I will come reformed

Silk

From what I know of the Lambda drive is that it's basically Tech Telekenesis, Aka, a device that allows the wielders willpower to become a physical construct

PaladinZenaku

I will state this that the Lambda driver has major flaws but they involve the pilot mostly.

First the pilot must have training how to use it correctly.
Second the lambda driver takes so much strain on the body the pilot sometimes have to resort to medication to mantain his ability to use it for long periods.
Third if the pilot doesnt have or use the first two points, he wont be able to use more than 10 minutes or less and even then only a small portion of its power.
~Shadowfang~

Robelwell202

Quote from: Silk on January 31, 2014, 05:25:09 AM
From what I know of the Lambda drive is that it's basically Tech Telekenesis, Aka, a device that allows the wielders willpower to become a physical construct

This is pretty close.

My own understanding of the Lambda Driver is, it's a semi-organic device that takes the mental imagery of the pilot, and transforms it into an energy form with physical dimensions.

Example one:  If the pilot were to see two projectiles coming at him at high speed, and without the possibility of dodging them, the Lambda Driver could take the image of a shield or armor, and create a barrier to those incoming projectiles.  (See 'Full Metal Panic:  The Second Raid' episode one)

Example two:  In the hands of a particularly skilled pilot, the Lambda Driver could, theoretically, be used to extend kinetic-energy pulses inside the cockpit of another mecha, with devastating results (Seen several times, at the hands of Gawron, in the first season of MFP).

While I'm not a god-modded by any stretch, I'd like my use of the AXR-7 Arbalest to be without any major restrictions on the Lambda Driver (I.E, my pilot knows how to use it at will.).  As I said, I'm not a god-modder, so it wouldn't be abused.

Insofar as the 'Achilles Heel' aspect, I can see a much more realistic set of issues facing the Arbalest.  First off, it's got a limited endurance during any one deployment (Stated as 100 hours).  Second, it's primary weapon, the Boxer Shotcannon (Think of a mecha-sized shotgun filled with slug rounds) has a VERY limited amount of ammo in it (Due to the size and construction of the weapon, I'd call it a six-round magazine, at best).  Finally, it's head-mounted vulcans eat up ammo at a very quick rate, leaving the last-resort weapons as an armor-piercing dagger, and another knife called a 'micro-molecular cutter' (Basically a large knife with a chainsaw-like blade on it's edge).

Does this help at all?

O/O
A/A
Ideas

PaladinZenaku

Ok i think we explained it enough. can I ask a question about the universe of Full metal panic.

What is the name of the red AS that has the Gatling gun on its arm? The Soviet AS that is seen in the desert episode where Sousuke has to work with the spec ops team to take out Gauron.
~Shadowfang~

Outlaw Fallen

Ok, I have a much better idea now, Robelwell. I said before that am open to any number of abilities in this game. It may never come into play, but my pilot is a pyrokinetic and is capable of a sort of telekinesis, himself due to his being a demon. In a lot of ways, it sounds like the Lambda drive is very unique and improvisational much like the upgraded Radiant Wave Surger. So, this would not be something I am opposed to. The only part of this I am wary of is telekinesis reaching directly into a cockpit. That could definitely prove to be a game changer, especially since you request that your pilot has full knowledge of it.

Other GM's have taken a chance on me in the past, and I see no reason not to impart some trust in this instance. I will be looking for a profile application from you, Robelwell. I'll be honest and say that I would like to see you devise some more offensive applications of the Lambda drive than the inner-cockpit telekinesis since the frame is offensively weak. Or, figure out some other modifications to make it offensively stronger since the Lambda drive is so hard on the pilot... the Arbalest is yours here. So... looking forward to having you in the game.
I will come reformed

Robelwell202

QuoteThe only part of this I am wary of is telekinesis reaching directly into a cockpit. That could definitely prove to be a game changer, especially since you request that your pilot has full knowledge of it.

Oh, of course.  As I stated above, there's no reason to worry about me god-modding, and the Arbalest is full of offensive punch as well.  Personally, I think it'd work well with the RX-79(g) that Mac84 has entered, as they're both similarly-tasked mecha.

Quotethe Arbalest is yours here. So... looking forward to having you in the game.

Excellent!   I get working on a character concept, and see if I can find some decent specs on the Arbalest.   I should have something up soon.

Thank you!

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Robelwell202

Quote from: PaladinZenaku on January 31, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
Ok i think we explained it enough. can I ask a question about the universe of Full metal panic.

What is the name of the red AS that has the Gatling gun on its arm? The Soviet AS that is seen in the desert episode where Sousuke has to work with the spec ops team to take out Gauron.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a 'Venom' custom version, used by an old 'friend' of Susuke's.  The arm-mounted Vulcan was definitely a custom ob, but I think the base machine was a Venom-class Arm Slave.

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Silk

I've got so much to write up since I got a entire race to write xD

Outlaw Fallen

Wesker created a whole race, and she did it quite simply. Read her character profile when she posts it (I already approved it), it might help you simplify how you will write it so you don't spend hours on it.
I will come reformed

Yandros

I am curious, is there still room for a person to show interest or join?  I utterly love the genre, and would be very happy to to join in!

Outlaw Fallen

I will come reformed

Yandros

Oh goodness....now so very torn on mech ideas!!  (All coypyrights and what not to the image creators, I am only posting here share)

Have any of these, or anything like these been claimed so far?  As well, still working on a pilot name/personality/look.  Is there an OOC thread started, or an IC thread yet?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Outlaw Fallen

Actually, none of them have been used. Not that I would necessarily mind repeats since almost everyone is ripping off of a design from a manga/anime/video game, etc... IC threads are coming very soon, and the OOC thread is linked in the opening post.
I will come reformed

zergmuncher

I would be interested in this if I got to pilot something like Gurren Lagann since no one has mentioned it. Pierce the heavens with my spirit.

Outlaw Fallen

I will come reformed

Batman4560

Quote from: zergmuncher on February 01, 2014, 07:18:02 PM
I would be interested in this if I got to pilot something like Gurren Lagann since no one has mentioned it. Pierce the heavens with my spirit.
[/quote

I really need to finish that anime.

Outlaw Fallen

I know nothing about the anime or the mech, but I suppose I will learn some in his application...
I will come reformed

Oreida Wesker

Still need more people, but we have a good number of posts going.
Hots and Nots

Outlaw Fallen

We are still recruiting, for anyone interested.
I will come reformed

CrystalFeathers

Any room for more?
If so, my mech will definitely be Macross-eske. I may need someone to draw it for me though. But I'll try to draw it.

Outlaw Fallen

Sorry for the delay, the busy season seems to have gotten all of us. Yes, there's plenty of room. Link to the OOC thread is in the introductory post, feel free to come in and introduce yourself. No hurry on creating your character and such, just take your time. We're kind of at a slow crawl for the time being.
I will come reformed

Wheresmycow

It's super mecha action!  Take a look at the very least!
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

CyrusTheRed

I may be interested in joining, just curious how active the game is? How many people are regularly contributing?
The blues is losing someone you love and not having enough money to immerse yourself in drink.

SargentToughie

Honestly, it's not very active at all. The only two players who are still around at all other then the GM seem to be me and Wheresmycow, and there hasn't been an IC post in a very long while.
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

I am looking to reboot this game after expressed interest from a few friends and SargentToughie, who was one of the few to stick it out to the very end. With a more solid base of place that aren't looking to jump ship as soon as the game starts (that's what happened the first time), it is my hope and the hope of others who tried their hand at this the first time to see the potential of this game to fruition. I am currently looking back at some of my original ideas and considering what to keep and what to do away with. I may make this a one-sided game and create all of the conflict myself, but we will see.

I suggest reading the synopsis and through the thread for any questions you might ask, because I answered a lot leading up to the initial launch of this game. This will be a complete reboot with nothing of the old game kept. DO NOT post any interest unless you plan on actually sticking with this game. My suggestion is to go ahead and start thinking about what sort of mecha you would like to make. All mecha will be scaled to relatively the same sizes. I don't mind a Gurren Lagann, but it will not be the monstrosity that it is in its canon form...
I will come reformed

EdwardShane

I think making the conflict one sided will work better.  PvP is something that I find has a tough time getting going in an RP such as this, in most cases.  However, I am definitely in, and reserve the E.S. Rueben for usage as my character's mech.

Inari

How about just taking from the intro and making a new thread altogether? Also dragging my entourage into this~ <3

summoner2183

Mac84

I'm interested, with my Gundam Ground type! ;D

I agree with the concept of both starting over, and having the players on one side. may be a bit easier to get into.

EdwardShane

Quote from: Mac84 on February 16, 2015, 05:16:30 PM
I'm interested, with my Gundam Ground type! ;D

I agree with the concept of both starting over, and having the players on one side. may be a bit easier to get into.

Heya!  Good to see you ^^  Looking forward to this

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Starcry on February 16, 2015, 05:03:46 PM
How about just taking from the intro and making a new thread altogether? Also dragging my entourage into this~ <3

I plan on posting an entirely new opener once I figure it all out.
I will come reformed

aorangi3

Me and my character emphasize a interest on this mecha mashup. Bartholomew "The Red" Cloud wishes to call dibs on Gundam Scythe if at all possible.
So grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Outlaw Fallen

It is definitely possible, though I have been warned of this Bart >.>
I will come reformed

EdwardShane

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on February 16, 2015, 11:18:13 PM
It is definitely possible, though I have been warned of this Bart >.>

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

aorangi3

So grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

SargentToughie

Hello there, my friends.

Happy to see you all expressing interest. :D

For reference, the mechs I'm calling dibs on are as follows:
Dual Gundam: Assault Shroud
Freedom Gundam

Weltall id
Ons and offs

Outlaw Fallen

I will come reformed

Mac84

Hey Edward! XD

If we're calling dibs on Multiples, then add the Gouf Custom, and Zaku II to my list. :P

Outlaw Fallen

Yes, dibs are allowed. Given the number of players, I don't think we'll have an overlap issue
I will come reformed

EdwardShane

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on February 17, 2015, 08:21:56 PM
Yes, dibs are allowed. Given the number of players, I don't think we'll have an overlap issue

Not to mention the sheer number of mecha that are out there.

Outlaw Fallen

As of now, I'm only planning to play with the Guren SEITEN. I may end up using Jehuty for another character, but I'm not sure yet.
I will come reformed

EdwardShane

I only intend on playing the one character for the time being, but....I may or may not make a second one at some point or another.  We'll see.  I don't have a second mech in mind that I really want to-.....dammit I just remembered some stuff from Macross Frontier....

SargentToughie

Hah. Don't worry, I'll be having 2 main characters, and I'll also be playing a fair good chunk of NPCs as well.
Ons and offs

Inari

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on February 18, 2015, 03:06:06 PM
As of now, I'm only planning to play with the Guren SEITEN. I may end up using Jehuty for another character, but I'm not sure yet.
This is because of Anubis isn't it? X3

I was half tempted to go for Escaflowne but there are so many mecha... <3

EdwardShane

Yeah......reserving the Rabbit-1 from Macross Frontier as my second mech lol.

aorangi3

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Starcry on February 18, 2015, 05:32:59 PM
This is because of Anubis isn't it? X3

I was half tempted to go for Escaflowne but there are so many mecha... <3

My biggest rule for multiple character is this... I don't care how many you create, so long as you can play with those that have become invested in your different characters on whatever level.
I will come reformed

Inari

I will only have one character since I don't want make so many only for me to not be able to keep up. :o

aorangi3

I think I'll stay with the one character for now, Bart is just too big of a personality to have another one. As eventually he might sulk, and I do dislike his murderous sulking...

Mac84

Quote from: EdwardShane on February 18, 2015, 05:00:33 PM
I only intend on playing the one character for the time being, but....I may or may not make a second one at some point or another.  We'll see.  I don't have a second mech in mind that I really want to-.....dammit I just remembered some stuff from Macross Frontier....

VB-06! Koenig Monster! (aka: Rabbit 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfpxki_7ocE

Quote from: EdwardShane on February 18, 2015, 07:31:37 PM
Yeah......reserving the Rabbit-1 from Macross Frontier as my second mech lol.

Here is the link to the Tech specs on the VB-06 Edward. http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossf/vb-6-konig-mf.htm

Whenever I play a Macross game that is not Fleet set up. I always play either the HWR-00 "MAC II" Monster, or the VB-06 Varible destroid/Bomber "Koenig Monster"

Though mine was always called "Daisy Mae"

EdwardShane

Good to know, thanks for that link!  I will admit that this is my first mecha rp, and that the information will help tremendously!  For my other mech, I had to go by what I remembered of Xenosaga 3....

Sasquatch421

Edward, here is another mecha site to take a glance at if need be:
http://www.mahq.net/
It has some different mecha's and gets really technical with them so you can bounce around and get a well rounded mech idea.

As for me? I have no flip clue what to even think about picking to start with.... If there is still any openings that is!

EdwardShane

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on February 20, 2015, 05:07:56 PM
It has some different mecha's and gets really technical with them so you can bounce around and get a well rounded mech idea.

As for me? I have no flip clue what to even think about picking to start with.... If there is still any openings that is!

Thanks, I'll make sure to take a look around that site!

Mac84

Outlaw Fallen

Of course there are still openings, Sesquatch!
I will come reformed

Sasquatch421

I'll take a look then and see what comes to mind character wise... Mecha wise is going to be a toughie as well... Hmm... Maybe the Gundam Alex? Should totally rewatch War in the Pocket...

Mac84

That is where I get my Gundam stats. :P

Macross Mecha Manual takes it stats from The Macross Chronicle Magazines, along with there pictures.

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on February 21, 2015, 06:42:34 AM
I'll take a look then and see what comes to mind character wise... Mecha wise is going to be a toughie as well... Hmm... Maybe the Gundam Alex? Should totally rewatch War in the Pocket...

Enjoyed war in a pocket, definitely was a fun watch. Love the ending personally.

Robelwell202

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Outlaw Fallen

Yeah, though I honestly don't recall why you dropped out the first time around. It hasn't started yet as I've got a lot on my plate and am in the stages of redesigning it.
I will come reformed

Robelwell202

I think my own time constraints had something to do with my dropping out.  So, if I could re-enter it, I'll come in with my Arbalest (And see if I can find some stats for it).

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Outlaw Fallen

I should probably say that getting wrapped up in stats is a waste of time, as this will not be based in stats. Every mech will be relatively scaled since the difference in size between a gundam and, say, Anubis is despairing, to say the least. I mean, if you want to learn more about the mech you are picking up, I would never discourage that, just... don't get wrapped up in technical specs.

This wasn't just directed at you, Robelwell.
I will come reformed

CaptainNexus616

*Stares in awe and wonder at the site of this interest check* C-C-Could I bring in Gurren Lagann???
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Outlaw Fallen

The guy who called it in the last game has not resurfaced to claim it again, so it's yours. Just be aware, it's not going to be the same thing that throws universes as a weapon >.>
I will come reformed

CaptainNexus616

Wasn't the plan I'm only going to use the regular Gurren Lagann. So no Arc, Super Galaxy or Tengan Toppa...heck I couldn't even do Tengan Toppa if I wanted too since I would need a Super Spiral Universe for that trick.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Robelwell202

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on February 22, 2015, 09:26:44 AM

This wasn't just directed at you, Robelwell.

Oh, no biggie.  I'm cool.  :)

My understanding is that the Arbalest (AS well as the basic M9 Armslave chassis it's based on) is roughly 1/3rd the height of a standard-sized Gundam, like Mac's RX-79(G).  Unfortunately, stats for the arbalest are hard to come by, so I'll have to wing it as far as the weapons and the Lambda Driver.

O/O
A/A
Ideas

SargentToughie

I would advise against having the Lambda Driver put into this game in the same way that it's used in the Anime... It would basically be the same thing as somebody pulling out Nanomachines, or Spiral Energy.
Ons and offs

Sasquatch421

I'm still interested, but having a tough time picking.... Re-watched War in the Pocket and now have the MS-18E Kampfer stuck in my head along with the RX-78NT-1 Alex... I also saw something about the suits being summoned and of course the GF13-017NJII God Gundam popped into my head as well. Though the Shining Gundam would probably suit better since that was the one you wondered where it would appear at every episode...

Inerrant Lust

So basically.... Tech Romancer?

I feel like I would want to play a Battletech style big dumb tank-thing pilot. :P

Hmmm..