Anyone here played the RPG Savage Worlds?

Started by AtlasEros, January 13, 2011, 11:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlasEros

If so which settings have you played or even just read?  I have the base book and the Necessary Evil book, was thinking about picking up the Sundered Skies setting.  For anyone who's lost as to what I'm talking about, it is a table top RPG.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Played it a bit, but not much. I had a quick go at running Necessary Evil with some of the local gaming club. It was .. interesting  ;D

I have the core book, Necessary Evil and Rippers on my games shelf.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AtlasEros

Did you feel the system handled supers well?  Or was it too limited?
O/O

Jefepato

I've played in a Rippers game briefly.  It was pretty cool, although we found combat resolution against large monsters kind of unsatisfying (most hits are ineffective until someone gets a really lucky roll to beat its Toughness).

I haven't actually played with the Necessary Evil rules, so take this with a grain of salt.  They look interesting, but the power levels involved looked more like White Wolf's Adventure! than something you'd see in typical comic book supers.  (The Brick archetype talks about throwing a city bus around in the blurb, but the character as statted can lift 400 lbs.  That really turned me off the whole thing.)  I've heard others say that NE got the comic-book feel right, though, so maybe it plays better than it looked to me.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: AtlasEros on January 13, 2011, 08:27:42 PM
Did you feel the system handled supers well?  Or was it too limited?

Hard to say. We didn't play that far into it, and the group I was with weren't the most serious of gamers :)

The group was 2 Transformers, a speedster with kinetic resistance (his attack was to run into someone at Mach 1), a cowardly gadgeter, a lich, and a useful collection of powers (aka Munchkin ;) ).

I don't think we played it enough to get a real feel for how it handled the powers, but we did have fun playing it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AtlasEros

Thanks for sharing guys, I appreciate your thoughts.
O/O