Visitor from Beyond

Started by jaberwok, October 31, 2009, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaberwok

Dugan was late for his appointment with his professor, and the rain wasn't helping things. He crossed the street, cursing at his broken umbrella, just as a truck rolled through a puddle, this time nearly drenching him. He knew this wasn't going to be a good talk; since the beginning of the semester he had been preoccupied, and his grades had slid quite a ways. Sighing, he hoisted himself up the stairs to the entrance to the building, and pressed the button to call the elevator. He took off his glasses to wipe the accumulated water from them, but only ended up smearing them worse on his jacket. Giving up, he resigned himself to merely shaking the water from his short black hair. He thought back to his last days at home; the ultimatum given to him by his girlfriend... the elevator dinged, and he sighed again, stepping through the doors...

...and into a darkness blacker than any he had ever known, and a sensation of falling. Behind him, the edges of reality wavered, flickering, slowly closing to reveal the inside of an empty elevator car.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!"
         - Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll

~ Apologies and Absences (Last Updated: 4/15/2013) ~
Jaberwok's Ideas: Last New Update: 4/15/2013

Sparta Belle

Mohan lived a simple life in the world of magic. She was the average witch coming out of her teenage years and still attending classes for she was still learning some of the more advanced basics of wizarding. It had been an easy going day on campus for her. She hadn't missed any classes and no mishaps while she practiced traveling by apparition. She had managed to go everywhere she wanted...

...until she bumped into someone.
Absences & Apologies <----Updated 09/2015
In the mind of a Spartan<----Updated!!!(09/2015)

jaberwok

Dugan sees the ground rush up at him from nowhere, and reflexively curls into a ball. Rolling with his fall, he slowly rises, and checks himself for broken bones. As he's doing so, someone runs into him from behind, and he turns automatically. "Excuse me." The words rise to his lips unbidden, a low voice his mother had always said would have sounded good on the radio. He looks into the eyes of the woman who bumped him, brown eyes partially concealed behind wet lenses, but then looks away, quickly, taking in his surroundings. The look on his face quickly turns to one of confusion. "Err, where am I?" he asks, turn back.

Sparta Belle

Slowly recovering from the impact of running into this new person Mohan makes sure she has found solid ground and makes sure that she still has her very important wand. As she is checking herself over, blue eyes slightly watery from the apparition she notices that this person seems confused and lost. When he finally asks where he is Mohan knows she is about to have an adventure like no other. Giving him a quick smile Mohan says "Hi my name is Mohan and you have found your way to Santeria. Can I ask you who you are and where you come from?"

jaberwok

He looks at the girl again, and pauses, as if struck dumb for a second. "Errrr," he says, taking in her features. I know her, he suddenly realizes, But from where? I'm fairly sure I've never met her before in my life. "I mean, hello," he says, remembering his manners. "I'm Dugan. Dugan Thorne." He thrust a hand out, and smiled uncertainly. "Santeria? Is that a suburb of Columbus?"

Sparta Belle

She takes his hand and shakes it firmly. As they continue to shake hands she finally really takes him in. She thinks to herself He can't be that much older than me.. Remembering that she is staring and that it is rude to do so she continues the conversation. "Yes Santeria is a suburb of Columbus but I think you will find this suburb a little bit different than your normal one. You don't seem to know that you have changed the realms of the world." She watches for Dugans reaction, unsure of what will come next.

jaberwok

He continues smiling for a moment before the statement fully sinks in. "Wait, what? What do you mean?" He continues holding her hand, not shaking it, as a thousand different thoughts swirl through his head. Different suburb? Realms? He shivered for a second, suddenly remembering how wet he was. "Um, perhaps I should head back to campus," he says, pulling his eyes away from her, and glancing around again for landmarks. Finding none, he looks back to her, his eyes pleading for help.

Sparta Belle

She realizes that she has just scared the poor  boy to death and maybe even dug herself  a hole that she may never be able to climb out of. Despite the fact that she is nervous she pushes on. "I mean that you are no longer in a world where you have to use your own energy to do everything. For example, here in my world you don't have to walk across the room to get the remote you left over there before you sat down. You simply pull out your wand, point it at the remote and say the word accio. It then floats by the direction of your wand into your other hand." She sees the pleading look that he continues to give her. She searches her head for a way to comfort him. I have no idea how I am going to get him back. I am nowhere near that point in my magic. I am just learning to move myself around let alone to move someone back into another realm. She turns back to Dugan and says " Would you like to see some of the town?"

jaberwok

"Yes... yes, please," he says, squeezing her hand slightly. He looks upward, staring not so much at anything, but thinking to himself That's it, I've finally gone off the deep end. He looks back at her with a smile. At least I've got pleasant company here. "I think that would be pleasant," he says. Suddenly realizing that he's still holding her hand, he lets go, moving both his hands behind his back, blushing slightly.

Sparta Belle

As Dugan accepts her invitation to view the town she figures it would be a good idea to finally make a plan as to what they are going to do and how they may eventually get him back into his proper realm. She feels him squeeze her hand and then let go. As he becomes embarrassed she giggles in her head thinking I think I just made a new friend. This is rare for me. I have to show him a good time. This just adds to the pressure she is already giving herself to find him a way back to his home. She tries her hardest to pretend she didn't notice him blush and says "Shall we start with the school?"

jaberwok

Dugan smiles, relaxing some. "That works for me." He falls into step beside her, alternating between looking at the surrounding landscape and sneaking glances at Mohan. As he looks about, he notices a few similarities between the town he knew and the town he is touring -  a rather crooked tree on this corner, that matches a tree he knew, or a crumbling brick facade with a similar pattern of shading in the bricks. Most everything else, however, is very different, and he has to take breaks from absorbing it occasionally, studying his walking companion instead.  He still can't shake the feeling that he somehow knows her. "So," he says awkwardly as they walk, "are you a student at Columbus State too?"

Sparta Belle

Mohan can feel the occasional stares coming from Dugan behind her. She wonders if she should take it as a compliment or just let it go because she is someone new. She watches him out of the corner of her eye as he absorbs some of the landscape and buildings around them. He looks at some things longer than others as if he recognizes them. Like they exist in his world too. As they continue to walk and study each other Mohan starts to see some similar features in Dugan. Like they maybe knew each other at some other point and then lost contact. She shakes this feeling as she answers his question, "Yes I attend Columbus State. However it is Columbus State school of Magic." "Here in front of us is the building for making potions, which can be a crazy thing sometimes. We have had explosions because wrong ingredients were added. Things can get pretty interesting around here." She is starting to feel like a tour guide making her uncomfortable so she slows a little bit so that the two are standing side by side. She feels much better here, more relaxed.

jaberwok

"School of Magic?" he says a bit slowly, digesting this newest piece of information. Glancing at the building in front of them, it is obvious that the windows have been replaced several times, and scorch marks score the brick around all of the openings to the building. He cocks his head as he looks at the sign outside. Alchemical Laboratories. Huh. Bending down to read the smaller print, he read, "Warning! Fire spells are forbidden within 50 feet of this building!" He glances at Mohan as he straightens again. "I seem to remember this as a frat house... curiously enough, it looked very similar; probably for similar reasons." He grins, then leans over and adds in a conspiratorial whisper, "I think they also sometimes mixed the wrong ingredients."

Sparta Belle

She can't help but giggle at his whisper in her ear. She thinksHe says this looks familiar. Is there a connection between the realms? Do they really seem so similar? Can only certain people breach the gap?These are all questions she stores in the back of her head for a professor. She then realizes she has no idea what a 'frat house' is. "What is a frat house?" she asks.

jaberwok

"Uhh," he pauses, and blushes again, a brighter shade of pink this time. "It's like a dorm, except with all guys, but they usually throw huge parties on the weekends with lots of alcohol and sorority girls..." he pauses for a moment, then shakes his head. "You know what? Nevermind." He looks at her nervously, before changing the subject. "I think I can see my apartment building." He moves a few blocks down the street, before stopping again. "Although, it's probably not my building, is it?" He pulls out a set of keys from his pocket, and looks at them. "What happens if I use my keys in the locks here?"

This is really fun, and I look forward to continuing it, but I'm about to drop from exhaustion! I'll be back tomorrow, though. :-)

Sparta Belle

As she notices Dugan blush she can't continue to look at him so she decides to look up at the clear sky and the ground in order to hide her excitement and embarrassment as she too blushes slightly. She thinks to herselfI must know him. He is way too familiar for me to not remember. "I'm not sure if your keys would work here or not but I feel adventurous enough to try it so lets give it a shot." She is now as nervous as ever, unsure of where things are going.

Alright I will see you tomorrow. I can't wait to continue. I do however have to go back to school tomorrow (I came home for the weekend) and mom has plans for me so sorry if my posts aren't as fast as they were tonight. :-)

jaberwok

Dugan smiles mischievously, exposing a small but somewhat charming gap between his front two teeth. His mind was a jumble with the changes he had experienced, but this just seemed like it would be fun, regardless of what happened. Thoughts of the meeting with his professor had already fled his mind. "Alright then," he says impishly, and turns to walk off, before he stops suddenly. Turning slowly, he grins impishly again, and gallantly offers Mohan his arm. "Madame?" he asks, in a silly fake French accent.

No worries! Post as you can.

Sparta Belle

He surprises her when he offers her his arm. She takes it with a bright smile showing off the teeth she took years learning to fix and blushing cheeks. She was slowly forgetting that this guy had no idea what was happening around him and that he didn't belong. He just seems to fit in, almost like he belongs here, like this is where he was supposed to be in the beginning.

jaberwok

Walking along leisurely with Mohan, Dugan feels himself relax. Although he still has no idea what the hell happened, or where he is, he finds that he is becoming more comfortable with the situation. A thought occurs to him - Stockholm Syndrome? He almost giggles at the ridiculousness of it. Although it's possible he could have somehow been kidnapped, something in the back of his mind knows this is not the case; that this is opportunity breaking down his front door, and whisking him away to something more real than he has ever known before. He realizes he's wearing a silly grin as he walks, but doesn't quite find the energy to care. He takes a deep breath of clean air - I wonder if they even use cars? he wonders momentarily - and is about to say something about the lovely weather, when suddenly he notices two men in brown coats and ties walking towards the two of them purposefully. Something about the two makes the skin on the back of his neck crawl, until he realizes, we haven't seen another soul out here since I arrived. Almost unconsciously, he begins slowing down.

Sparta Belle

As they continue to walk down the street arm in arm, Mohan feels him relaxing and becoming more comfortable. Knowing that he is relaxing helps her to relax a little bit. She finds herself carefully observing him and his actions. His mouth opens as if he was going to say something after looking up to the sky when she notices him stiffen beside her. Wondering what has caused this action she follows his look and spots them. The brown coats and ties give them away right away. Oh man,she thinks, Someone has told that someone who doesn't belong is here.Her mind continues to race through all of the things they have done when suddenly she realizes she barely saw anybody around since she bumped into Dugan. Who could have possibly told on them? She tries to stay brave as they continue down the side walk closing in on the space between her and the government officials, becoming more and more nervous as they come closer

jaberwok

Dugan notices Mohan's reaction to the men. "So, I take it they're not friends of yours?" he asks, coming to a full stop. Glancing over his shoulder, he notices two more approaching from behind. "Who are they?"

jaberwok

"I swear to God, if one of them calls me 'Mr. Anderson', I'm out of here." he adds. Although it was meant to come out as a joke, he realizes as the words mean his lips he's quite serious.

Sparta Belle

"These are government officials and by the looks of it we are in some trouble. Try to act cool as I talk to them and see if there is some misunderstanding." Mohan is more nervous now than ever in her life, more so than the first time she tried apparition. The men finally reach two steps in front and two steps in back of them. Mohan gulps as she says, "Can I help you gentlemen?"

jaberwok

Dugan nods, and waits, tense, as the two men step up to them. After some seconds looking them over, one says, "Have either of you seen anything... unusual?"

Dugan's skin crawls as he wonders if he would indeed be considered unusual in this place. He is keenly aware of the sloshing water in his clothing, even though the outermost layers have mostly dried. He looks at the men in front of him, and squeezes Mohan's arm tightly.

Sparta Belle

Mohan makes a face of wonder after they ask about if something unusual happened today. She tries to make it apparent that she is thinking about the day without them finding out that she is truly figuring out how to answer them. How are we going to avoid them finding out? We are going to have to play him off as my long lost friend and hope they buy it. "No sir, I have not seen anything unusual today. Is there something wrong?"

Congratulations on being accepted!