The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Ant-Man and the Wasp is proceeding with Peyton Reed back at the reins and Paul Rudd as part of the script writing team. They've also cast Hannah John-Kamen in a role yet to be revealed.

Mathim

Black Panther trailer! Woot! Ryan Coogler, I've never seen any of your other films, but this one looks breathtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Q3WbF__NY

I mean, everything about it is absolutely gorgeous, the colors in some scenes, the dark in others, incredible atmosphere. I have to go back and do some reviewing, but I would have to say, with the exception of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, this is the best FIRST trailer of any Marvel movie (even the Avengers ones don't quite do all that...maybe Age of Ultron's first trailer.)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Rumors have been going around for awhile now that Tiffany Espensen will be making some form of appearance as Cindy Moon aka Silk in Spider-Man Homecoming. A character who was revealed in the comics to have been bitten by the same radioactive spider that gave Spidey his powers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

I doubt it...or it'll be a character in-name-only. They can't really be building up the spider-verse stuff too much while he's in the MCU, and they'd never promote anything Sony might want to do on the side if it helps them keep him out of their hands entirely.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Quote from: Mathim on June 16, 2017, 11:00:34 PM
I doubt it...or it'll be a character in-name-only. They can't really be building up the spider-verse stuff too much while he's in the MCU, and they'd never promote anything Sony might want to do on the side if it helps them keep him out of their hands entirely.

You do know that Sony is building up a spiderverse, with the Venom movie (starring Tom Hardy) and the Silver Sable/Black Widow flick 'Silver and Black', right?
Cindy Moon is very possible to appear, as Homecoming is more Iron Man cameoing in a Spidey flick, than Homecoming being an MCU flick. Sony still own the rights (at least in part) to Spiderman, they just have a deal with the MCU for him to be used in their films and for them to help make Spidey films.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on June 17, 2017, 03:54:49 PM
You do know that Sony is building up a spiderverse, with the Venom movie (starring Tom Hardy) and the Silver Sable/Black Widow flick 'Silver and Black', right?
Cindy Moon is very possible to appear, as Homecoming is more Iron Man cameoing in a Spidey flick, than Homecoming being an MCU flick. Sony still own the rights (at least in part) to Spiderman, they just have a deal with the MCU for him to be used in their films and for them to help make Spidey films.

I am painfully, morbidly aware of that, I'm just saying Marvel/Disney isn't going to do more than they are obligated to per whatever their deal with Sony to get Spidey in the MCU is, in support of that Sony-exclusive spin-off venture.

CaptainNexus616

As someone who thought Spider-Verse was not that good of a story. I can see why Sony is aiming for that. Their equivalent of the Avenger's movie for all their big names teaming up for the big threat. To be fair...what exactly could be done post Inheritors though? That's like Thanos or Darkseid equivalent of a threat for the Spiders of the Marvel Multiverse.

Maybe have Morlun be the first big threat then at the end reveal the Inheritors themselves getting ready to wipe the Multiverse clean of the Spiders?
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

wander

I always figured the 'spideyverse' was just the name for the shared universe Sony is trying to do, not that they were going to adapt Spiderverse... Though seeing Tobey MacGuire back in costume would be fun... I guess.

I don't really care about anything Spiderman these days tbh, I've seen enough to put me off it. I dunno, I guess I'm getting superhero fatigue now. I've wanted to see Wonder Woman though still haven't made the effort, I'm just a bit lax to pay £8 for a film I'll probably be past in a month. GotG v2 entertained me when I saw it, though it's not been on my thoughts at all since then.

I'm looking forward partially to Thor:Ragnarok and that's partly down to the cosmic visuals and hoping some substantial lore will be added in. I like the lore and debating which direction things are gonna take these days rather than the films themselves. I stopped reading Marvel some time ago and I'm happy with the few DC Rebirth titles I pick up, for me having me able to debate lore for ages after a film has come out is what I most like, though we're talking a time where studios play it safe and don't want the audience to think too much, where everything is sanitised and placed in an algorhythm to make money.

Feh.

Mathim

There's a lot they can do with the extended Spider-verse if they put the talent into it, but they don't have any, so that's not going to work. Venom, Carnage, that combo alone would be an amazing R-rated movie if they had both talent and the cojones to actually do what Fox is doing when they need to.

But yeah, Morlun, Morbius, Demogoblin, there's plenty of supernatural and demonic threats for him to face that he's never gone up against before. The one thing I really want to see, as I've said ad nauseum, is the Doppelganger. Everyone seems to get sent up against their dark opposite, except perhaps Thor (Loki and Malekith weren't similar enough to him to make that claim), and now young Spider-Man is tackling the Vulture, so Doppelganger is his ultimate non-Venom dark opposite.

RubySlippers

But Wonder Woman is a problem for DC people liked the colorful, positive, decent heroine as in Wonder Woman while they really didn't like the dark superman, new Batman as in BvS and the frankly dark as hell Suicide Squad so they may have to choose go more light hearted and fun OR risk killing the DC franchise as far as movies go unless something changes. The Justice League movie is key if it does well then both might work, but if it fails by Hollywood standards they will need to go lighter.

I happen to like the 1978 Superman a lot more and Superman II was good he was a Hero and wouldn't stoop to being moody all the time he was a HERO. Batman okay is a darker hero but really there is huge difference between Batman (first big screen movie) and branding people with a portable branding iron and having sex traffickers as plot points he should focus on big bad villians. And the Suicide Squad I get but maybe a bunch of criminals are not good for being heroes to people I get the idea but it could have been just a bad attempt to. Even the BvS Wonder Woman wasn't that good visually. I can't be alone in this sentiment since all these dark movies didn't do overly well yet compared to WW and earlier versions of these characters. I go to see a superhero movie to have fun, lose myself and dark themes need to include breaks and Marvel does that well.

Mathim

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 19, 2017, 09:50:14 PM
But Wonder Woman is a problem for DC people liked the colorful, positive, decent heroine as in Wonder Woman while they really didn't like the dark superman, new Batman as in BvS and the frankly dark as hell Suicide Squad so they may have to choose go more light hearted and fun OR risk killing the DC franchise as far as movies go unless something changes. The Justice League movie is key if it does well then both might work, but if it fails by Hollywood standards they will need to go lighter.

I happen to like the 1978 Superman a lot more and Superman II was good he was a Hero and wouldn't stoop to being moody all the time he was a HERO. Batman okay is a darker hero but really there is huge difference between Batman (first big screen movie) and branding people with a portable branding iron and having sex traffickers as plot points he should focus on big bad villians. And the Suicide Squad I get but maybe a bunch of criminals are not good for being heroes to people I get the idea but it could have been just a bad attempt to. Even the BvS Wonder Woman wasn't that good visually. I can't be alone in this sentiment since all these dark movies didn't do overly well yet compared to WW and earlier versions of these characters. I go to see a superhero movie to have fun, lose myself and dark themes need to include breaks and Marvel does that well.

Well it was a mistake putting Zak Snyder in charge of the whole thing and letting him paint everything with a black brush. Making Batman ready to retire so he's already at the point of not caring if he takes the villains alive, and his major villains have already been dealt with and locked up, one more mistake. It's hard to establish a likeable Batman identity when all the least appealing traits he's ever had are the only thing we get. Even if Wonder Woman was less dark and more vibrant, the Justice League trailers look like they're dampening her along with all the others yet again.

mia h

Damon Lindelof is in talks with HBO about bring a Watchman series to the network. So that'll be 2018 at the earliest before it sees the light of day, and I can't but thinking that they'll drag in some of the Before Watchmen series to bulk out the show.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

There are finally a number of clips from Guardians 2 on youtube, like the Yondu arrow scene and the beginning where Baby Groot is dancing to Mr. Blue Sky while the others are fighting squid-face. DVD release date is set for August 22, even though the movie is still playing in some theaters.

wander

I've found lots of Power Rangers clips are appearing on youtube, funnily enough I've been spending my time watching 'em. I saw GotG 2 in the cinema, so I have no need to really watch bits again.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Mathim on June 19, 2017, 10:59:16 PM
Well it was a mistake putting Zak Snyder in charge of the whole thing and letting him paint everything with a black brush. Making Batman ready to retire so he's already at the point of not caring if he takes the villains alive, and his major villains have already been dealt with and locked up, one more mistake. It's hard to establish a likeable Batman identity when all the least appealing traits he's ever had are the only thing we get. Even if Wonder Woman was less dark and more vibrant, the Justice League trailers look like they're dampening her along with all the others yet again.

Also Gal only got $300k for the first three movies with no contract for more, her agent is going to seriously demand a lot more money and for any added movies if she is tossed out of the role many fans including myself will not see Wonder Woman movies and she is the main reason I'd see the Justice League movies, if her agent doesn't demand at least $15 million for a multi-movie deal she needs a better agent and the director is going to demand suitable deals likely comparable to come on board. Man did the studio drop the ball big on this one. And what I love most the actress is real and nice, in real life, a mom of two and really loves her husband and likes to live simply for an actress with  successful career starting. I have to respect that. But nice won't equal she being stepped on she knows with the director they have the studio by the short hairs and they will want pay comparable to other top actors on the payroll.

Like I said its a fight for the franchise either they go lighter and more heroic or I fear the only character they might salvage is Wonder Woman and maybe the Flash who looks good for one movie to see if he can carry a film and Aquaman could be an option for one movie but the studios better tie them down to doing sequels if they didn't yet.

mia h

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 21, 2017, 02:43:45 PM
Also Gal only got $300k for the first three movies with no contract for more
That's $300K per movie, and she didn't have a huge amount of screen time on BvS. Plus you have to figure in that part of the deal will include extra money on the back end depending on how successful those movies are. And the studio didn't drop anything, Gal Gadot was a relative unknown, especially as lead, so no studio is going to give her a massive contract that they'd be forced to pay out on before they knew if she was really worth it.  And you know who else got $300K for their first solo superhero movies? Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on June 21, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
There are finally a number of clips from Guardians 2 on youtube, like the Yondu arrow scene and the beginning where Baby Groot is dancing to Mr. Blue Sky while the others are fighting squid-face. DVD release date is set for August 22, even though the movie is still playing in some theaters.

Doesn't surprise me, the first one was playing for two months straight at theatres in my area. next thing I knew it was out on DVD

Mathim

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 21, 2017, 02:43:45 PM
Also Gal only got $300k for the first three movies with no contract for more, her agent is going to seriously demand a lot more money and for any added movies if she is tossed out of the role many fans including myself will not see Wonder Woman movies and she is the main reason I'd see the Justice League movies, if her agent doesn't demand at least $15 million for a multi-movie deal she needs a better agent and the director is going to demand suitable deals likely comparable to come on board. Man did the studio drop the ball big on this one. And what I love most the actress is real and nice, in real life, a mom of two and really loves her husband and likes to live simply for an actress with  successful career starting. I have to respect that. But nice won't equal she being stepped on she knows with the director they have the studio by the short hairs and they will want pay comparable to other top actors on the payroll.

Like I said its a fight for the franchise either they go lighter and more heroic or I fear the only character they might salvage is Wonder Woman and maybe the Flash who looks good for one movie to see if he can carry a film and Aquaman could be an option for one movie but the studios better tie them down to doing sequels if they didn't yet.

But wasn't she barely C-list when she started that role? I mean, regardless of talent, someone in that position wouldn't really expect the royal treatment. If she was bigger than that (what I gathered was she had a bit part in one of the Fast and Furious movies as the high point of her career before the DCEU), then maybe, but otherwise it's hardly unusual for that type of contract and low-balling.

I just saw the post-credits scenes for Guardians 2 again on youtube, and there's something that weirded me out, I can't tell if I'm reading too deeply into something, but for anyone else who saw it (or who's willing to watch it again on youtube to see if they can confirm), please tell me if this is right or wrong (and I'll spoiler it for anyone who hasn't seen it):
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
After Stallone's character brings back the other Ravager leaders to re-form their old team, the very last one of them to agree that they do want to team up again, looks an incredibly lot like Hela from the Thor: Ragnarok trailer. She even confirms her interest in this with a 'HELL yeah', and puts a heavy emphasis on the 'hell' part. Now, I've read on Wikipedia that it's actually Michelle Yeoh playing the character, not Kate Blanchett (who is playing Hela) and that the character is actually Stallone/Stakar Ogund's wife (forgot her name) in the comics, and maybe the quality of the youtube video is so bad that I'm just seeing things, but that was a very strange coincidence, that resemblance. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

wander

In regards to the spoilered question;

Probably just a coincidence... I watched the scene just now and whilst there could be a link made in the future, I actually highly doubt it. The scene was lit dark and costumes/looks are liable to change between movies anyway.

Mathim

Yeah, I figured. That would really screw with continuity otherwise. But I was happy to see a brief glimpse of Jeff Goldblum dancing in his Grandmaster getup during the credits of Guardians 2 even though he wasn't actually IN the movie, nor was his brother the Collector despite having been in the first film. I mean, they brought back Howard the Duck for yet another throwaway cameo, but not at least a passing remark about the Collector's menagerie getting rebuilt or the fate of the Aether that is supposed to still be in his possession? Shame.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that scene is just a cameo for the original comics Guardians of the Galaxy team, according to the directors from what I read. They exist in the universe, even if they'll never have the title 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

wander

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 23, 2017, 12:39:26 AM
Yeah, that scene is just a cameo for the original comics Guardians of the Galaxy team, according to the directors from what I read. They exist in the universe, even if they'll never have the title 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

A version of them at least may do in the future, Gunn has stated GotG 3 will be the finale for the current iteration of the team. However they have a nice lil franchise cash cow now and GotG 4 can easily move onto following that team, whether using the current actors or moving to others to show a prequel/future version.

Mathim

Hey, I wouldn't mind a spin-off for the young Stakar and crew (even if they had to do that off-putting de-aging CGI treatment thing to Stallone throughout the whole thing.) And when I checked the comments on that youtube video, I saw I'm not the only one who thought that lady was Hela, but I want to see it on the DVD so I can have a better-quality visual to compare. I just don't know if they intended for the two to look so similar.

CaptainNexus616

So I was just glancing through the Spider-Man Homecoming Wikipedia page when I noticed something.

Now ignoring a professional acting perspective. Doesn't the Homecoming movie director Jon Watts looks like he could be older comic Peter Parker from an appearance standpoint?

Mathim

If he lost the five o clock shadow, yeah, I can see it.

BTW, early reviews are coming in positive for Homecoming. Looks like the trailers weren't all bluster.