What the heck, SGK?!?

Started by Oniya, February 03, 2012, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-02/politics/31016108_1_pin-safety-operation-shooters

You've probably seen in the news that the Susan G. Komen Foundation is going through a P.R. nightmare right now.  Citing a new internal rule that they won't partner with any organization that is under investigation, they have withdrawn support from Planned Parenthood - the only organization that seems to be affected by this new internal rule.

Planned Parenthood is one of the few places that low-income women can get health care in some areas.  It's no longer 'just' a place where a woman goes to get an abortion.  Their services include contraception, general health care, men's and women's sexual health care (including cancer screenings for prostate, testicular, and colon cancer, as well as cervical and breast cancer screenings) and tests for STDs.  The money they received from SGK went exclusively to cancer detection.

SGK claims that there is nothing political about this decision, but shortly before enacting this new rule, Congressman Cliff Stearns put Planned Parenthood under investigation because Americans United for Life suspected that federal money Planned Parenthood was getting was going to abortions.  Also significant is that SGK recently hired one Karen Handel as their vice-president of public policy, who had advocated defunding Planned Parenthood during her run for governor of Georgia in 2010.

And now, they've partnered with a gun manufacturer to sell a twee pink-adorned Walther P-22 (picture at link above).  Because guns are apparently much better for women's health than Planned Parenthood.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

:o

Sue Komen must be spinning in her grave...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

And now I can feel all empowered - SGK has reversed their decision to yank the funding, following the backlash that - as far as I can tell - started yesterday, Wednesday at the earliest.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Oniya

From what I'm reading in my feeds, the damage may have already been done.  People were posting links to other cancer research charities all over the place.

Callie Del Noire

I see a LOT of fingers being pointed towards this one person..Nancy Brinker who is a former Bush Appointee.. but it doesn't make sense for her to do it for political reasons considering she FOUNDED SGK in 1982 and if she was going to go all high horse over the abortions that PP does and worried that SGK would be 'tainted' by it she'd have never donated to them.

I think it was a bylaws change and someone inside pushing it to further their own agenda/outlook. Brinker would have done it long ago since she's the founder and CEO. She's getting splattered by this pretty bad though.

Oniya

Karen Handel is the far more likely culprit.  The change in 'foundation rules' came between her hiring and Cliff Stearns' investigation being launched.  Plus, Handel ran on a platform that included defunding Planned Parenthood when she ran for governor.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on February 03, 2012, 02:17:37 PM
Karen Handel is the far more likely culprit.  The change in 'foundation rules' came between her hiring and Cliff Stearns' investigation being launched.  Plus, Handel ran on a platform that included defunding Planned Parenthood when she ran for governor.

I am quite sure she's been told to update her resume.. cause if I was Nancy Brinker I'd be FURIOUS that the foundation I set up in my memory of my sister got smeared in the press over someone's partisan agenda.

Oniya

One of the 'stunts' that people were talking about was the idea of making donations to PP and having the 'thank you' card sent to Handel's office.  If there isn't a resignation sometime next week, I'll be surprised.

Callie Del Noire

I think it's the only way that SGK can recover from it.. They'll have to ask her to leave or resign, possibly taking the blame for the policy before she leaves.

RubySlippers

SGK is a private charity with its own rules and leadership, they can put their money in any effort or group they want to its their money once its handed over. If you and others don't like that stop supporting them and give to Planned Parenthood directly. But there is a rule in place and it was invoked, fine, but then others can opt to support them or not but nothing was done wrong in my opinion although it was a poor PR move.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 03, 2012, 02:46:01 PM
SGK is a private charity with its own rules and leadership, they can put their money in any effort or group they want to its their money once its handed over. If you and others don't like that stop supporting them and give to Planned Parenthood directly. But there is a rule in place and it was invoked, fine, but then others can opt to support them or not but nothing was done wrong in my opinion although it was a poor PR move.

True but of the hundreds of groups they support they only singled out ONE organization though the new rule could apply to many others. Think about it. ANY investigation requires themto cancel support. If a florida rep running a questionable investigation can disqualify PP why was no one else eliminated at the same time? It used to be presumed innocent till proven otherwise.

Oniya

Most publicly, they gave a 7.5 million dollar grant to Penn State's Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, and is partnered with Bank of America.  Both institutions are under federal investigation.

Anjasa

Quote from: Oniya on February 03, 2012, 03:20:40 PM
Most publicly, they gave a 7.5 million dollar grant to Penn State's Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, and is partnered with Bank of America.  Both institutions are under federal investigation.
Yea, it's all utter hypocrisy. Disgusts me that they're being so flippant over women's health.

Callie Del Noire

The more I see of this.. the more I read, the more it looks like someone is gaming the system for their own agenda. The foundation is the one standing on the podium with pie on their face though.

Serephino

All of this anti-abortion crap is pissing me off.  If I tell anyone I'm anti-abortion I get lumped in with these morons.  One of the major differences between me and them is I think the best way to reduce abortions is to reduce unwanted pregnancies.  Planned Parenthood does that.  A high school friend of mine went there for her birth control.  I've been there for STD testing, and it was free.

Hell, the local PP isn't even allowed to perform abortions.  I think it's a state thing because of state funding, but I'm not sure about that.  I just know that on their forms they make you fill out it says they can counsel you and refer you to an abortion clinic, but they can't do it.   

Oniya

Quote from: Serephino on February 03, 2012, 10:46:31 PM
One of the major differences between me and them is I think the best way to reduce abortions is to reduce unwanted pregnancies.  Planned Parenthood does that.     

THIS!  Oh geez, even when I was in college, the 'word on the street' was that Planned Parenthood had a fishbowl full of condoms and you could go in and grab a handful, no questions asked.  I never had cause to check exactly how accurate that was, but at least I had an idea of where to get birth control.

Serephino

Yep, the one here has a big basket in the waiting room.  Of course, you have to get buzzed in...  But I'm sure if all you wanted was a condom they'd still let you in.  They have female condoms too, whatever they are.  My boyfriend was looking at them when we took a friend in. 

Shjade

Quote from: Serephino on February 03, 2012, 11:23:40 PM
They have female condoms too, whatever they are.

They're condoms. They just wear more makeup.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Actually, it's a sheath with a flexible ring at both the open and closed ends.  The inner ring fits over the cervix like a diaphragm and holds it in place, and the outer ring is kept outside.  The advantage is that it can be put in hours before intercourse, doesn't require an erection, and doesn't have to be pulled out as soon as the guy goes soft.  They also protect the labia (which boosts defense against HPV and HSV).  They tend to be more expensive, though.

Anjasa

Planned Parenthood here has free condoms as well. Female condoms cost $1. I think flavoured condoms cost .50 here. But the regular latex ones and lube are free.

I go there for my yearly pap test and breast cancer screening. I've never had an abortion - and I'm sure I'm in the majority of their visitors in saying this. The vast majority of people go there for preventative measures, not abortion.

I feel bad that Planned Parenthood gets drawn into the middle of so many cuts and so much hate just because they talk about abortion with people who might want one when listing their options.

Callie Del Noire

My mom and my aunt were both nurses, my grandmother was one for nearly 5 decades. They had at one time or another spoken f the 'bad old days' and my mom all but grinds her teeth when some yahoo with a suit and bible gets on the idiot box and says only bad people get them, ect.

She has seen the alternatives and it kills her a bit at a time to see folks play theses games and denial like they do. 

Serephino

I remember scared teenagers used to try and hide their pregnancies, then they'd give birth in the bathroom and kill it.  At least a few times a year I'd see on the news they found a dead baby in a dumpster.  I'd rather see teenagers get free condoms then more of that. 

Callie Del Noire

I notice opponents blissfully ignore such things. That sort of thing just doesn't come into their purview. That realization hit me when I was helping my mom do rounds when she worked for home health. The people who assume it's the 'parents' duty just don't understand how clueless some folks are.

I had ALL sorts of stories from girls who swore they couldn't get pregnant because of 'X'. and 'x' can be all sorts of things. I admit I got my 'talk' early (and my brother even earlier) because of what my mom learned as a health care work in the early days of AIDS. We were in the sandhills of SC and she knew of at least six people with AIDS then. (This was back when the common belief was 'only gays got AIDS')

What I learned from making the rounds with my mom was two fold. It's AMAZING what folks will believe about conception and that it was possible for an eight year old to get pregnant. That was enough for me to see the need for sex ed back then.

Serephino

My mom knew a nurse who had seen an 11 year old have a baby.  I don't remember how old I was when my mom sat me down, but it was a good thing she did.  I had a friend who got a hold of one month's worth of birth control, and thought she was safe.  She didn't believe me when I told her otherwise.