Interest check: Mage the Awakening

Started by Spider, July 16, 2008, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider

Checking for players for a Mage the Awakening game

Im not sure if im capable of starting one up, but I first want to see if I can get enough players (4-6) to start a game.

I have a setting for London which could be used. Or if someone has a better city in mind just say so.

Favored faction and path would be helpful as well to mention.

Thanks
Spider

Requiem

I am all over this idea!

I am thinking I'd like to make a Mysterium Acanthus.  I am still working on a character idea, but that is the base order/path.

Spider

Ah yes Also a question, wish for adult content as well should be mentioned.

Requiem

Quote from: Spider on July 16, 2008, 06:37:58 PM
Ah yes Also a question, wish for adult content as well should be mentioned.

Not to sound like a pervert, but yes please!

Spider

Im a pervert, whats wrong with perverts?

Rhapsody

I'd be up for playing a Moros.  Probably Adamantine Arrows, perhaps Silver Ladder.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Spider

Well that is two at least, lets hope we can get some more together, Im planning with starting with somewhat more experienced chars, rather then bloody beginners... abit more oomph but not super powerful yet.

Lets see who else we can grab for a game

Requiem

It's an amazing game, I certainly hope we get some more people.

Spider

Yeah it is, I might actually decide to play with less people depending on what I see ;)

Muse

*Raises hand* 

Requesting to play a more experienced melee capable Mysterium gal, maybe Obrimos or Thrisus, preferably with emphasis on the Laura Croft/Indiana Jones type adventures.  I don't mind assorted seductive adventures, or tentacle monsters either. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Spider

I generally do a mix of tomb raider and city political game, depending on the chars and players i shift the focus from one to the other.

Spider

Bumping this one, those intrested can make their chars with starting rules, xp will be given after the weekend.

Anyone else intrested?

Dramo

I'd be interested in joinin but no longer have the basic book. I do get paid friday so let me know if I should get it again.

The Great Triangle

I'd be interested in playing a free council Obrimos street preacher type, focusing on heavy use of the Prime arcana.  Will we be getting about 35 xp to stat up our characters with?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Spider

Aboutish, I only got one sheet this far, so I need the sheets now. And yes this one will be rolling, I got the players for it

Muse

I'm looking forewards to it, did you ever decide on an EXP total, or did you want to see us pre-EXP first? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Spider

Id like preexp first, i dont want to math around alot

Muse

"When I returned from the watchtower, my mentor told me,

'Granddaughter, I understand the emptiness and restlessness you've felt all your life. 

'I know why, growing up in Egypt, you learned to belly dance and cook, and all the things that would make you a good wife, but then fled to America rather than become a good wife. 

'I know why, when you had no marketable skills but your beauty, you danced and turned tricks.  I know where you found the strength to stay away from the drugs, and why you trusted the instincts not to marry the men who promised to take care of you and take you away.  I know why, even when you felt demeaned, you continued to walk the hard road, cling to your independence, and dream, not of freedom, but of calling to serve a higher master. 

'You saved 'til you had enough to enroll in college, but didn't have a legal visa, so you had to disapear again.  Then you tried studying at the libraries, and you got a computer, trying to improve yourself. 

'One night, five men who couldn't afford you, strung out on drugs, tried to take from you what they could neither afford nor seduce, and there was only one bouncer walking you to your car.  You grabbed sticks and joined the fight, and I came to fight as well as they beat you down.  You traveled to the watchtowers, and awakened, and when you returned I was here, with the Kopesh made for women of your order, for the Golden Janisaries, concubines and protectors of the true heirs of Mohamed, not his corporeal heirs, but the spiritual leaders of those who truly touch the supernal world and bring back guidance.  Remember, Golden Janisary, foe of darkness, I am but your teacher, your guide into what is called in these parts the Adamantine Arrow.  It is you who must choose the bringer of wisdom you will protect and serve.'"   

The Great Triangle

Hmm... Thyrsus, sounds like? 

I'm guessing a kung fu based brawler, Life 3.  Perfect the form and strike with perfect harmony.  Although an acanthus specializing in Fate for the will of Allah might fit the concept too.

Either way, it should be interesting to have a pacifist Southern Baptist street preacher working alongside a Janisarry and former lady of the night.  Lots of potential for interesting roleplaying there.  :)

Ons and Offs

Spider

Now just hoping Requiem and Rhapsody comes about :(

The Great Triangle

well, if nothing else, the game could be run as a buddy cop game.  If there's no response in a couple of days, I'll go ahead and try and round up some people, see if they're interested in learning to play Mage.   :)

Ons and Offs

Leonhardt

Quote from: The Great Triangle on August 05, 2008, 01:09:43 PM
well, if nothing else, the game could be run as a buddy cop game.  If there's no response in a couple of days, I'll go ahead and try and round up some people, see if they're interested in learning to play Mage.   :)

Well, I might be interested in learning how to play.  The game actually looks rather interesting, from what little I've seen of it.  However, I'll be honest in saying that I don't have much experience with System RPs, so it might take me a bit to get the hang of things.

Also, would I need to have the respective books to play, or is there another way to find the information I'd need?

The Great Triangle

You wouldn't really need the books, although you would need someone to walk you through character creation.  The most important things to determine are your character's path and order, which are kind of like race and class in D&D. 

Basically, a mage gains power from a supernal realm.  Which supernal realm they draw from is the biggest influence on what kind of magic they can use.  Prepare for lots of Capitalized Words.

Acanthus Enchanters draw magic from Arcadia.  They specialize in Fate and Time magic.

Mastigos Warlocks draw magic from Pandemonium.  They specialize in Mind and Space magic.

Moros Necromancers draw magic from Stygia.  They specialize in Death and Matter magic.

Obrimos Theurges draw magic from the Celestial Plane.  They specialize in Forces and Prime magic.

Thyrsus Shamans draw magic from the Primal Wild.  They specialize in Life and Spirit magic.

A mage's Order is what magical club they belong to.  There are the 4 Atlantean Orders, organized around the government of a mysterious antideluvian civilization, and the Free Council, who beleive in updating magic for the modern day.

The 4 Atlantean Orders are:

The Admantine Arrow: The soldiers of Atlantis.  They use magic to fight and perfect themselves.

The Guardians of the Viel: The secret police of Atlantis.  They protect humanity from the secrets it must not know.

The Mysterium: The scientists and scholars of Atlantis.  They use magic to know as much as possible.

The Silver Ladder: The preist-kings of Atlantis.  They use magic to try and uplift mortals to became mages.

A mage can also quite easily have no order, which is quite helpful if you want to focus on a mage having a particular paridigm for his magic, such as divine miracles or simple good fortune.   

Ons and Offs

Leonhardt

Hm... putting it that way makes it seem simple enough.  I also researched the various magics, and they all sound rather interesting.

Sign me up for this, if you don't mind having to show me the ropes! ^_^

EDIT: Well... apparently, someone at work is sick... so I have to leave in 20 minutes, and won't be back for about seven hours... xP  If you plan on starting the game up ASAP, then you should go ahead and leave me out of it (or I can enter the game later, whatever would be best for you all)

KeyOfTwilight

oooh, some MtA, I'd love to play.  Prolly play my female morose character i developed a while back.